The Lost Primarchs

Just read Daenyathos by Ben counter and in it Daenyathos says, `The Emperor created the primarchs, 'in his own image. But they were not enough to conquer the galaxy on their own. There were twenty primarchs, but two of them the others despised.' The primarchs ,' killed these two, and cut them into thousands of pieces. each piece was implanted into a warrior, and it transformed them into the first space marines.Now he is telling a story so how much is true who can say, but any mention of them gets me excited.

• 3 weeks later...

I disagree with the whole idea that the missing two were chopped up by their brothers into little pieces in order to makes the first Astartes. After all, each gene seed is from their OWN primarch as EVERYTHING is backed up by this idea. The fact that Blood Angels still to this day see the vision that Sanguinius foresaw of his own demise at the hands of Horus. I'm also not 100% sure on this, but I DO remember reading (Possibly in 2nd Ed Codex?) That to spark off the progeniod gland to start the change to an astartes were different for every Legion, the Blood angels used the blood of their Primarch to spark off the transformation to that of the warriors, hence why each Sanginius priest holds the blood of their primarch in their own bodies. Even if it is massive diluted nowdays.

I'm not sure how the other Chapters now start off this process. But I know the the Ultramarines had the most successful rate of indoctrination and hence why their chapter was the biggest come time for the Heresy.

Anyway, getting to far away from the point.

As for the whole Horus killing one when he smashes the incubation chamber on mars (False Gods) Considering how the Emperor RECOGNISED Horus when he saw him, I think that he would have foreseen the Primarch's being taken by the Chaos Gods and known to protect them for the likes of a Punch (even if a punch from a primarch would be enough to crack armoured plate). So yea.

Primarch Short History

Angron -Primarch of the World Eaters, Taken as a gladiator, built on the same premesis as Spartacus, escaped capture and lived in the hills, His army finally killed when the Emperor teleported him on board his ship, not allowing him to die, which Angron resented him for his whole life.

Horus - First found Primarch, Luna Wolves, Sons of Horus, Black Legion (I might be wrong, but I also remember reading he was found IN Sol? as in, the solar system with earth but not sure if that's still how it is considering his planet is named something that always reminds me of Cthulhu) Rebelled against the Emperor with fully half of his brothers, killed at the hands of the Emperor

Mortarion - Adopted by a warlord, Lead the planet in a rebellion in the lower levels where he could survive against the high flowing polluted air. Eventually went to kill his adoptive father after ordered by the Emperor, He never got the chance as the polluted air stopped him and was saved by the Emperor. Turned to Nurgle after he was caught in the Warp and his legion was turned into the rotting forms the are now.

Lorgar - Primarch of the Word Bearers. Raised on a religious world where he saw a vision of the Emperor coming to the world, This lead to a war where people were either with Lorgar, or against. After his Victory and unification with his father, he joined the great crusade. He was reprimanded for being to slow with his crusade and told to stop all worship of the Emperor as a god, where he turned to Chaos and joined the Heresy

Alpharius - Last found Primarch of the Alpha Legion, reported to have a twin Omegon, Found by Horus when they entered a new system, his home planet and history was never detailed, however his legion was taught to move on without a leader as he would often Vanish and see how his legion would cope without him. So upon his supposed death, his legion was unmoved and fought on.

Perturabo - Iron Warrors Primarch, Known for their Siege skills, he fell to Chaos after a mass genocide on his home planet after they rebelled.

Curze - - Night Lords Primarch. Knows as the Night Haunter, He was obsessed with Justice, Worlds would fall into line on word of the Night lords coming to their system. His planet fell to Criminals and thugs after he joined the great crusade. Believed Assasinated.

Magnus - Thousands Son's Primarch, Although I might get alot of rap for this, I believe he was the only Primarch BETRAYED by the Emperor. He was raised on world where using the powers of the warp was a normal thing, quickly becoming the master of all knowledge. He was reprimanded for his abilities and sworn to never use them, he carried on in secret. He tried to warn the emperor of Horus' betrayal and the Emperor furious at him sent the Space Wolves to bring him in line. Horus intercepted the Communication and sent them to destroy the legion. Magnus' army was brutally defeated and he signed his life to Tzzench joining himself and his legion to the Chaos gods and Horus' rebellion.

Fulgrim - Primarch of the Emperors Children, Grew up on a harsh world where he quickly gained favour with the people, Became obsessed with the pursuit of Perfection in all things. Was corrupted by the Athanme blade given to him by Horus.

? - Gogg and Maggog?

? - Possibility that one was a female? (I personally support this notion)

Guilliman - Primarch of the Ultra Marines, Grew up in the Ultramar system, a thriving economy. Had the biggest legion and was not present at the Heresy, pretty much single handedly held the Imperium in check as the other Chapters rebuilt. Wrote the Codex Astartes.

Dorn - Primarch of the Imperial Fists, Found in the Inwit system, he was fiercely loyal to the Emperor. His Legion was cut assunder by the Iron Warriors Legion at what is know as the "Iron Cage" incident. Although they survived, His legion was then cut into the three chapters Imperial Fists, Crimson fists and Black Templars

Sanguinius - Primarch of the Blood Angels, Found as a winged Angel on Baal, by the time he had reached his Teenage years (Or the LOOK of a teenager being only 4 or 5 years old) He could walk in the harsh radiation covered plains free of radiation suits. He foresaw his death at the hands of his Brother Horus and stayed loyal despite.

Khan - Primarch of the White Scars, Models off Genghis Khan, Was at the gates of the Imperial Palace at the seige of Terra, Lost in the Webway following Dark Eldar Raiders.

The Lion - Primarch to the Dark Angels, Fought in the Heresy and upon return to his home planet found his legion Divided, his best friend turned to Chaos, they fought on the surface of the planet as the fleet bombed the planet. Lothar was defeated or purged Chaos from himself, and they are now keep on the planet Fortress deep below the planets core hidden from all.

Vulkan - Primarch of the Salamanders, Was an expert Blacksmith, united his planet and was one of the few who fought with the Emperor upon first meeting. Last seen heading to the Eye of Terror.

Corax - Primarch of the Ravenguard. Suffered massive losses at Istvaan, he tried to speed up the process to make space marines by looking into genetic research which had been forbidden although he succeeded at rebuilding his chapter, the fortress was swollen with his defective mutations and tests, He gave them the Emperors mercy alone and was last seen heading to the Eye of terror after quoting "Nevermore"

Ferrus Mannus - Primarch of the Iron hands, A name given to his legion after his own hands were covered in a liquid metal from drowning a dragon in magma (Possibly a C'tan lord as they living metal referenced is the same as the Necron's use). Killed by Fulgrim at the Heresy and his head presented to Horus. Possibly survived as his love for technology may have turned him into some sort of living metal machine.

Russ - Primarch to the Space Wolves. From the Ice world of Fenris, his legion were sent to crush the Thousand sons army. They are fierce warriors and after the heresy ignored the Codex Astartes and instead formed the 13 Companies they still hold true to making them one of the largest armies in the Imperium. Last seen heading into the Eye of Terror to return at the Wolftime.

So that's a VERY quick version of what's going on by my research. So there are a total of 3 Primarch's in the Eye of Terror, Dorn is reported dead, but only his hand was discovered although supposedly his bones were also found. This is up to debate. Gulliman is in stasis on Ultramar and apparently healing from his neck wound. Mannus and Sangunius seem the 2 that are likely to be dead, Sangunius at the hands of Horus, and Mannus at Fulgrim's. Khan is left in the Webway, As for the Traitor legions, Most of them now control planets in the Eye of Terror.

• 1 year later...
From what I was reading into the story at the end of "Flight of the Eisenstein" I concluded that Nathaniel Garro and Iacton as well as the remaining members of Garro's units, were the initial Inquisition, and that Garro was somehow related to the founding of the Grey Knights.

I came to the same logical conclusion a lot of facts in the book refer to that ;)

the first time I read the book I immediatly made the connection between Garro and the Grey Knights

As far as I know one of the final acts of the emperor was the founding of the Grey Knights and the Inquisition

I thought it might be helpful if somebody corrected your information.

Horus - First found Primarch, Luna Wolves, Sons of Horus, Black Legion (I might be wrong, but I also remember reading he was found IN Sol? as in, the solar system with earth but not sure if that's still how it is considering his planet is named something that always reminds me of Cthulhu) Rebelled against the Emperor with fully half of his brothers, killed at the hands of the Emperor

His home world is called Cthonia.

Lorgar - Primarch of the Word Bearers. Raised on a religious world where he saw a vision of the Emperor coming to the world, This lead to a war where people were either with Lorgar, or against. After his Victory and unification with his father, he joined the great crusade. He was reprimanded for being to slow with his crusade and told to stop all worship of the Emperor as a god, where he turned to Chaos and joined the Heresy

He didn't join the Heresy, he was instrumental in instigating it.

Curze - - Night Lords Primarch. Knows as the Night Haunter, He was obsessed with Justice, Worlds would fall into line on word of the Night lords coming to their system. His planet fell to Criminals and thugs after he joined the great crusade. Believed Assasinated.

No believed Assassinated, he was Assassinated. GW have been pretty clear on that in a few sources.

Magnus - Thousands Son's Primarch, Although I might get alot of rap for this, I believe he was the only Primarch BETRAYED by the Emperor. He was raised on world where using the powers of the warp was a normal thing, quickly becoming the master of all knowledge. He was reprimanded for his abilities and sworn to never use them, he carried on in secret. He tried to warn the emperor of Horus' betrayal and the Emperor furious at him sent the Space Wolves to bring him in line. Horus intercepted the Communication and sent them to destroy the legion. Magnus' army was brutally defeated and he signed his life to Tzzench joining himself and his legion to the Chaos gods and Horus' rebellion.

Magnus' "warning" breached the wards of the Imperial Palace and those of protecting the webway portal the Emperor was constructing in his dungeon laboratory, allowing a Daemonic incursion of the Imperial Palace and Terra, which was only held off by the combined efforts of the Custodes & the Silent Sisterhood, and by the Emperor effectively locking himself into the Golden throne (where he was stuck holding back the Daemonic tide and so unable to directly intervene in the Heresy).

Fulgrim - Primarch of the Emperors Children, Grew up on a harsh world where he quickly gained favour with the people, Became obsessed with the pursuit of Perfection in all things. Was corrupted by the Athanme blade given to him by Horus.

He wasn't corrupted by the Anathame, he was corrupted (and displaced) by the Daemonic entity within the Laeran sword.

The Lion - Primarch to the Dark Angels, Fought in the Heresy and upon return to his home planet found his legion Divided, his best friend turned to Chaos, they fought on the surface of the planet as the fleet bombed the planet. Lothar was defeated or purged Chaos from himself, and they are now keep on the planet Fortress deep below the planets core hidden from all.

For starters, its Luther not Lothar. Second, he didn't purge himself of Chaos.

Luther was on the verge of defeat, but before striking the killing blow the Lion hesitated (not wanting to kill his old friend), and in that moments hesitation Luther unleashed a sorcerous attack mortally wounding him. Seeing the pain in his old friends eyes was like having a veil lifted, he realised what he had done and collapsed to the ground in despair (the Chaos gods having lost yet another pawn threw a tantrum and the resultant Warp Storm tore the already weakened Caliban apart). When the remaining loyal DAs descended to the ruins of the Tower of Angels/Aldrukh (which had been saved/protected by its shields) they found only Luther babbling, claiming that the Watchers had spiriting away the Lion and that he would one day return to forgive him.

Luther is held in a stasis locked cell that only the Sword of Secrets (i.e. only the Chapter Master) can open and on the rare occasions when it is opened he babbles about the Lion one day returning to forgive him and sometimes he reveals visions/prophecies (ala some form of Warp Oracle). The Lion was spirited away by the Watchers and is supposedly within an inaccessable chamber deep within Rock/Tower of Angels, unbeknownst to the DA or anybody else (other than the Emperor).

Ferrus Mannus - Primarch of the Iron hands, A name given to his legion after his own hands were covered in a liquid metal from drowning a dragon in magma (Possibly a C'tan lord as they living metal referenced is the same as the Necron's use). Killed by Fulgrim at the Heresy and his head presented to Horus.

Up to here you're on the money.

Possibly survived as his love for technology may have turned him into some sort of living metal machine.

This bit leaves me scratching my head though. Losing his head is pretty final. Exactly where are you getting this theory from? :)

So that's a VERY quick version of what's going on by my research. So there are a total of 3 Primarch's in the Eye of Terror, Dorn is reported dead, but only his hand was discovered although supposedly his bones were also found. This is up to debate. Gulliman is in stasis on Ultramar and apparently healing from his neck wound. Mannus and Sangunius seem the 2 that are likely to be dead, Sangunius at the hands of Horus, and Mannus at Fulgrim's. Khan is left in the Webway, As for the Traitor legions, Most of them now control planets in the Eye of Terror.

We know of 4 Primarchs that are dead - Ferrus Manus (beheaded), Sanguinius (physically and psychically mauled to death by Horus), Konrad Curze/The Nighthaunter (allowed himself to be killed by the Callidus Assassin M'Shen) and Rogal Dorn (died aboard the Sword of Sacrilege, its not open to debate, they recovered his remains and living things don't leave remains).

And technically, Guilliman is dead as well (since if someone were to switch off his stasis field he'd die).

What number was El' Jonson found? At that point, there were still 19 others, as said in Decent of angels. zahariel asks if there are anymore like Jonson to which he's answered "yes, in fact there are 19 others".

I believe all 20 primarchs and their legions were found and participated in the Great Crusade.

I believe whatever happened, Russ and the Vylka Fenryka were sent to deal with at least one of them.

I like a lot of the ideas here.

Russ and the Vylka Fenryka

Who? Is this what they're calling the Space Wolves nowadays?

I've been out of the hobby even longer than I thought if that's the case..... -_-

Yeah sorry, I picked it up after reading Prospero Burns...sounds so much cooler than "Space Wolves", which is almost as bad as "Sailor Moon".

No problem (I suspected that was what it was, but wanted to make sure) ^_^

It is a pretty cool name, but as I'm from the Rogue Trader Era, "Space Wolves" will be a difficult habit to break ^_^

Found out something that will help with the missing primarch argument. Found it from Bolthole. It's from the upcoming Deliverence Lost.

Corax is on Terra and speaks with Him about getting his hands on the material that were needed to make him, his brothers. Now, the Big E tells him about chaos etc and also tells Corax that the 2 missing primarchs were found and lost before Corax was found.

When was Corax found? Like Horus was first and Alpharius last, the Space Wolves must have been founded before the Raven Guard then

Without a doubt, yes, SW would definitely have had to be before RG. However, as far as I know there is no actual chronology besides 1st and last - it's like one of those 'john's older than jackie but younger than jim who's thirteen which is half as old as yolanda' problems, without enough info to solve it completely.

Somewhere within the HH threads, everyone or someone has attempted to make a list of when the Primarchs were found. I would be helpful and link you to it but i'm coming to the end of my nightshift and I cannot be arsed!

It will be interesting to see if by the end of the series, we have a sort of concrete list where we can say 'Angron was found then' or 'Russ was found affter such and such but before such'. Or GW might just leave that up to us as they normally do!

When was Corax found? Like Horus was first and Alpharius last, the Space Wolves must have been founded before the Raven Guard then

Corax was found on Lycaeus (now Deliverance). Lycaeus was already an imperial world when Corax led the uprising (the Mechanius controlled the moon and the world below, whose name eludes me...)

Horus was also found on an already imperial world....

Also in The Outcast Dead, when he's told about the Wolves being unleashed, he says "Again?" implying that this has happened before.......

As for lost primarch theories, maybe one of the primarchs consorted with some xenos?

He asked "when", not "where", Jordan.

To actually answer the question... we don't know. We know some stuff, like Guilliman and Fulgrim being found before Night Haunter, and Ferrus Manus being found around the same time as Lorgar (they're both on Terra together after being found), but we don't know anywhere near enough.

In later books II and XI are referred to as the 'lost and forgotten'. I think it is fairly clear that one legion was purged and the other was never reunited with its Primarch and was assimilated into the Smurfs. But that is just my take on it. And nice video, thanks for sharing that.

But all Primarchs were reunited with their legions during the crusades though, unless they have retconned this somewhere

Okay well my understanding is that all Legions participated in the crusades, not all Primarchs.

Has any one ever thought maybe the two were undefined so that a player could create a heresy legion? Write stories of there conquests behind the scenes. Maybe now after all these years they have finally returned and are now trying to prove their allegents to the emperor after being gone for so many years. For those of you who write fluff you cant get a much better story line then that because most other things are so restrictive? Just throwin an idea out there. Not tryin to be rude.

Ferrus Mannus - Primarch of the Iron hands, A name given to his legion after his own hands were covered in a liquid metal from drowning a dragon in magma (Possibly a C'tan lord as they living metal referenced is the same as the Necron's use). Killed by Fulgrim at the Heresy and his head presented to Horus.

Possibly survived as his love for technology may have turned him into some sort of living metal machine.

This bit leaves me scratching my head though. Losing his head is pretty final. Exactly where are you getting this theory from? :tu:

in Deathwatch: First Founding (page 7):

"Their enemies proclaimed the Iron Hands' Primarch dead upon the blasted fields of Istvaan V, the Chapter refuses to accept this for no body was ever recovered. For 10,000 years the Sons of Ferrus Manus have stoked the fires of hatred, drawing strength from their bitterness and awaiting the day of their primarch's return".

"Becoming a living metal machine" is mentioned a few times for members of the Iron Hands chapter- only as rumour though. If Manus had "uploaded his mind into a machine" but retained his outside appearance, with his true mind not in his skull but concealed elsewhere in his body, he could have survived beheading, and the headless body could have fled the battle.

Seems a bit far-fetched though.

This bit leaves me scratching my head though. Losing his head is pretty final. Exactly where are you getting this theory from? :tu:

in Deathwatch: First Founding (page 7):

"Their enemies proclaimed the Iron Hands' Primarch dead upon the blasted fields of Istvaan V, the Chapter refuses to accept this for no body was ever recovered. For 10,000 years the Sons of Ferrus Manus have stoked the fires of hatred, drawing strength from their bitterness and awaiting the day of their primarch's return".

"Becoming a living metal machine" is mentioned a few times for members of the Iron Hands chapter- only as rumour though. If Manus had "uploaded his mind into a machine" but retained his outside appearance, with his true mind not in his skull but concealed elsewhere in his body, he could have survived beheading, and the headless body could have fled the battle.

Seems a bit far-fetched though.

Reminds me of an idea I had for a Frankenstein-inspired chapter that tried to resurrect Ferrus using brain scans he took before his death. Needless to say, didn't work out so well for them. ;)

I'm sure i read somewhere that each aspect of the Emperor's personality was copied into the Primarchs, so could we try and determine the two missing features?

Angron -

Horus -

Mortarion -

Lorgar -

Alpharius -

Perturabo -

Curze - Depressive, self–obsessed Emo personality aspect.

Magnus -

Fulgrim -

? -

? -

Guilliman -

Dorn -

Sanguinius -

Khan -

The Lion -

Vulkan -

Corax -

Ferrus Mannus -

Russ -

In The First Heretic, and Prospero Burns, it's couched as "roles" rather than "personality traits":

In False Gods, a few "traits" are mentioned:

False Gods page 202

"Then who would you have picked to be Warmaster if not you?" asked Petronella.

Horus appeared momentarily perturbed by the question, but said "Sanguinius. It should have been him. He has the vision and strength to carry us to victory and the wisdom to rule once that victory is won. For all his aloof coolness, he alone has the Emperor's soul in his blood. Each of us carries part of our father within us, whether it is his hunger for battle, his psychic talent or his determination to succeed. Sanguinius holds it all. It should have been his..."

"And what part of the Emperor do you carry, sir?"

"Me? I carry his ambition to rule."

Archived