The Marines Exemplar

Argon

It's still much better than anything I can do. I only recently figured out how to draw a skull that doesn't look cartoonish.

That actually took me quite a while, too.

Let's discuss artwork later, when we've got something resembling an IA.

Don't worry about your mistake, I could tell which gate was the main gate. It should be gigantic, not only because it looks cool but also because this is a fortress, and an ideal fortress should be nigh-impossible to get into.

Yup, the above gate was meant to be the threshold for the aspirants - when they pass through it they mak the first step on their way to becoming an Astartes and their last step as ordinary humans. Thus it can also be 'Aspirant's Gate'.

Engraving the ramp with the core teachings of the chapter would be a nice touch. I like it.

Fitting with the idea that usually only aspirants tread on that ramp. Of course they'll not be able to read it (being written in High Gothic) but it's anoither metaphor for the new life the aspirants will now begin.

I like the gigantic aquila as well. A gigantic reminder of who (and what) they serve.

Exactly what it was meant to portray.

Alright, so it's still "resplendant in ebony and gold", then?

Not necessarily resplendent, but ebony and gold is okay. Ebony will be the color of the stones I presume?

I like the gigantic aquila as well. A gigantic reminder of who (and what) they serve.

Exactly what it was meant to portray.

Well, that's convenient. :D

Alright, so it's still "resplendant in ebony and gold", then?

Not necessarily resplendent, but ebony and gold is okay. Ebony will be the color of the stones I presume?

That is correct.

So, do you think we're about done with the Homeworld section?

Hm.. we have talked about the general feel of the planet, we have toaked how recruiting works we do have some good ideas for the fortress-monastery... Yup, should be more or less everything we need for a proper "Homeworld" section. Final details to be covered once we have everything compiled.

Hm.. we have talked about the general feel of the planet, we have toaked how recruiting works we do have some good ideas for the fortress-monastery... Yup, should be more or less everything we need for a proper "Homeworld" section. Final details to be covered once we have everything compiled.

Awesome. One section down, 4 or 5 more to go.

What should we work on next? We've still got Origins, Beliefs, Combat Doctrine, and Organization to work on.

There'll be quite a lot to add once we have written everything down, so I don't worry too much beforehand. We'll certainly receive enough flak once it's been presented officially. :)

What should we work on next? We've still got Origins, Beliefs, Combat Doctrine, and Organization to work on.

Well... I'm not quite sure what we would do with the 'Origins' section so I'd go over to 'Beliefs' next. We can of course just take the next one in line but I'd have left origins in the dark actually. Any suggestions on that topic apart from the geneseed?

There'll be quite a lot to add once we have written everything down, so I don't worry too much beforehand. We'll certainly receive enough flak once it's been presented officially. :lol:

Believe me, it's more than certain.

Well... I'm not quite sure what we would do with the 'Origins' section so I'd go over to 'Beliefs' next. We can of course just take the next one in line but I'd have left origins in the dark actually. Any suggestions on that topic apart from the geneseed?

Why? It's not like this is going to be the definitive text on the Marines Exemplar. That ability lies with Games Workshop alone.

We do have some of the foundations for beliefs down, so it would be easy enough to develop that section. Let's go for it.

There'll be quite a lot to add once we have written everything down, so I don't worry too much beforehand. We'll certainly receive enough flak once it's been presented officially. ;)

Believe me, it's more than certain.

Once the full draft is ready, I'll certainly be happy to contribute what I can to the development process in the best traditions of the Liber: Searching through details with a fine comb, then pulverizing mistakes with a Thunder Hammer. :P

And I doubt somehow I'll be alone. ;)

EDIT: Incidentally, I like what you guys have done so far, and that drawing is pretty sweet. Keep up the good work!

Why? It's not like this is going to be the definitive text on the Marines Exemplar. That ability lies with Games Workshop alone.

That is true. Ignore my reservations then.

We do have some of the foundations for beliefs down, so it would be easy enough to develop that section. Let's go for it.

Okay, let's do that. Maybe someone chimes in on the way and will help with stuff.

Once the full draft is ready, I'll certainly be happy to contribute what I can to the development process in the best traditions of the Liber: Searching through details with a fine comb, then pulverizing mistakes with a Thunder Hammer.

As long as the criticism is founded that's okay. Somehow I doubt that'll be the case with everyone.

Once the full draft is ready, I'll certainly be happy to contribute what I can to the development process in the best traditions of the Liber: Searching through details with a fine comb, then pulverizing mistakes with a Thunder Hammer.

As long as the criticism is founded that's okay. Somehow I doubt that'll be the case with everyone.

Indeed. Octavulg and a few others prefer to bombard mistakes from orbit, then move in with the thunder hammer.

hey guys, ive been reading yall's posts for about a week on this because im a new convert to Marines Exemplar from the Black Templars, and so far i am very excited about what yall have done, im also creating my battle company as the Marines exemplar and i got their whole back story and everything

hey guys, ive been reading yall's posts for about a week on this because im a new convert to Marines Exemplar from the Black Templars, and so far i am very excited about what yall have done, im also creating my battle company as the Marines exemplar and i got their whole back story and everything

Welcome, battle-brother, to the Bolter and Chainsword! What story did you come up with for the noble Exemplars?

Also, what company do you plan on doing?

3rd company, under Captain Apollo, my son lol. so i was reading and i was wondering if yall are set on Ultramarines cause i always felt that the Exemplars were more of Dorn's brood given their overall appearance of intensity and there was an older post in the original blog you guys did about the Exemplars about when Dorn went on his crusade as penance for his failure to protect the Emperor and he adorned his armor in black and when they came back their arms were drenched in blood up to their shoulders from doing their holy work, i dont know, for some reason that has really stuck with me lol. It dont matter to me much but i always kinda felt the Ultramarines to be kinda tools. That's just me, I'll go with you guys either way. Anyway my story about the captain is still a work in progress but i know that when he came back from his final trial to slay the Rock Lizard thing (if that is still apart of the fluff) he came back with the lower Jaw bone of it draped over his shoulder and he made a spear out of the bones of the tail, that's pretty much it for now, ill get more a little later

3rd company, under Captain Apollo, my son lol. so i was reading and i was wondering if yall are set on Ultramarines cause i always felt that the Exemplars were more of Dorn's brood given their overall appearance of intensity (...)

Well, we haven't quite decided on that yet, but Ultramarine geneseed would get us into minimal trouble - if any - compared to other variants when explaining origins.

(...) and there was an older post in the original blog you guys did about the Exemplars about when Dorn went on his crusade as penance for his failure to protect the Emperor and he adorned his armor in black and when they came back their arms were drenched in blood up to their shoulders from doing their holy work (...)

Now that one's new to me. Can we verify it with an official source? If so, that'd be an awesome explanation for the color scheme...

3rd company, under Captain Apollo, my son lol. so i was reading and i was wondering if yall are set on Ultramarines cause i always felt that the Exemplars were more of Dorn's brood given their overall appearance of intensity (...)

Well, we haven't quite decided on that yet, but Ultramarine geneseed would get us into minimal trouble - if any - compared to other variants when explaining origins.

This. Dorn is just as good, but Guilliman is entirely pure and the gene-seed of a large number of the chapters currently active. I've seen claims that it's something like 2/3 or 3/5 of the chapters currently active, which comes out to about 600 or so chapters at the least.

Also, you're doing the 3rd Company? I was going to do them as well, mostly because I'm lazy like that ;) .

haha it was either 3rd or 4th, you can get 3rd if you want, doesnt really matter to me lol

It doesn't matter. What you paint is completely up to you. Just because I'm painting the 3rd Company doesn't mean you can't.

Seems I'll have to work out a proper story for the Captain of the 5th plus one for the First Captain. :(

Anyway, any additional input on the beliefs from anyone?

Let's see....what have we gotten so far?

They're pious, due to constant battles against Chaos.

Eh....that's about it. Anyone have any other ideas?

Yeah, my primary idea was to make them very fanatical and zealous (even more than other chapters) and haver their extrem piety show in their organisation, daily rituals and so on and through that make them different from other chapters. They should not deviate from the "true" path, only follow it even more rigidly if anything.

There could be some very special rituals required of every battlebrother like a distinctive cleansing to get rid of Chaos' influence, maybe involving some kind of confinement. Every marine could also be tattooed with special wards/litanies of faith to fend off any evil influence Chaos might exert...

is there any company markings other than the roman numerals on the right shoulder?

None that we know of. If we consider the few pieces of official artwork to be complete that's the way it is. I suppose you got a few ideas of your own? Already painted something? I got a few previews of how I pictured Exemplar insignia in the old thread, have you seen them?

Yeah, my primary idea was to make them very fanatical and zealous (even more than other chapters) and haver their extrem piety show in their organisation, daily rituals and so on and through that make them different from other chapters. They should not deviate from the "true" path, only follow it even more rigidly if anything.

There could be some very special rituals required of every battlebrother like a distinctive cleansing to get rid of Chaos' influence, maybe involving some kind of confinement. Every marine could also be tattooed with special wards/litanies of faith to fend off any evil influence Chaos might exert...

The thing with zeal is that too much isn't a good thing. After a certain point, the Exemplars would more or less be Black Templars by another name. You really can't be more zealous than the Templars to begin with. The only people more zealous than they are would be the Word Bearers, and we obviously don't want any comparisons to them, do we?

Their piety would show in their organization with the extra chaplains, I think, so we've got that covered. Daily rituals are a fact of life for all Space Marines, so that's out of the way as well.

I'm assuming that by the "true path" you mean the guidelines of the Codex Astartes. Rigid adherance to the Codex would tie in quite nicely to Guilliman's gene-seed (or Dorn's, even).

The thing with zeal is that too much isn't a good thing. After a certain point, the Exemplars would more or less be Black Templars by another name. You really can't be more zealous than the Templars to begin with. The only people more zealous than they are would be the Word Bearers, and we obviously don't want any comparisons to them, do we?

Well, I think there's a bit more to BT than just their zeal... Anyway, I just wanted to stress my point that I thought them to be quite rigid in their interpretation of faith.

Their piety would show in their organization with the extra chaplains, I think, so we've got that covered. Daily rituals are a fact of life for all Space Marines, so that's out of the way as well.

Just started to flesh them out a bit more, that's all. Of course the additional chaplains would be the most obvious element to show.

I'm assuming that by the "true path" you mean the guidelines of the Codex Astartes. Rigid adherance to the Codex would tie in quite nicely to Guilliman's gene-seed (or Dorn's, even).

Whatever we decide the true path is. Technically, Exemplars are a Codex chapter, right? That'd mean they'd indeed adhere to the Codex very strictly.

Archived