International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

Hey all, just thought id post up a pic for my next project. Its going to end up being a mini diorama involving an Imperial Fist at the moment of the end of the Siege of Terra. Im hoping to capture a more tragic scene than one of celebration.

Anyways, heres the first test fit for the legs, which will be the bade of a non aggressive pose. I dont want to use the words 'calm' or 'relaxed' because thats not what the marine is meant to be feeling, but thats essentially what im going for.

gallery_49031_5138_39727.jpg

C&C always welcome!

Thanks,

Replica

Welcome to the Brotherhood Natanael and cheesychaoslord, your names have been added to the members list.

That's something I've actually been thinking about Natanael :) I'll have a look for free forum hosting over the weekend. A quick google search just now turned up a couple of promising looking ones, but if anyone has any suggestions then their most welcome to give them....

James

Thank you =D

And about the forum question; I am running two forums at freeforums.org. It is free, and really easy to use. Not as special as this, but maybe it is enough for us at the moment.

Check it out!

- Natanael

Hey all, just thought id post up a pic for my next project. Its going to end up being a mini diorama involving an Imperial Fist at the moment of the end of the Siege of Terra. Im hoping to capture a more tragic scene than one of celebration.

Anyways, heres the first test fit for the legs, which will be the bade of a non aggressive pose. I dont want to use the words 'calm' or 'relaxed' because thats not what the marine is meant to be feeling, but thats essentially what im going for.

gallery_49031_5138_39727.jpg

C&C always welcome!

Thanks,

Replica

I think that they would be feeling despondant, anger, betrayal, maybe a little relief and guilt at surviving. A sense of loss too - for the Emperor and for dead battle brothers. Quite a bit to try and convey in a model. I would like to see where you take this. I have my own idea of how a Marine should look after just surviving the deadliest battle of his life. I don't want to say too much, but I think you have the pose of the legs just about right.

@ Replica: Did you finish your Wolf Guard already? I know that they're still very rough, but I like the look of the 'less squatting more standing' pose of the legs. I'm looking forward to your next update on these :pinch:

@ Natanael: I'll certainly check out freeforums. If I remember right, one of the other forums I'm registered on is on there as well. I think having our own dedicated space might make things a little easier. Certainly for some of the stuff we'd like to do that we can't on here :huh:.

@ Lestat: I'd like to see that idea at some point....

@ Skirax: It's not a stupid question mate. Nothing hobby related usually is. I only really discovered glazes in the last year or so. A glaze is a really really thin layer of paint that you use to tint or tie together the layers beneath it.

Basically you want to thin your chosen paint with water, or if you're really flash (which I'm not) glaze medium until you can see your pallete through it. At that point it's more up to you how much more you thin it, but once you're happy with it paint it over the area(s) you want to glaze. Repeat until the desired affect is achieved. You might not notice any change in the colours you're glazing after the first glaze, but there's no real maximum number you can apply so just keep going until you're happy with it. As long as you keep your paint thinned as I said it won't make a mess of what you've already done :(

Hope that helps

James

@Pig: i like the RP's general pose, striding forward mumbling his mojo-jinxes. but of all the SW heads, the ludicrous mohicans are someof the worst..... just doesn't look right, especially on a RP. I'd suggest losing the 'hawk, and making a psi-hood.

@replica: looks like the sorto f pose i'd go for. a despondant marine would probably be slouched, slightly hunched, head bowed slighty in introspection. or at least that's the way i'd be going.

Now for my Q. Any links to any good tutorials on keeping GS smooth when sculpting? i also see a lot of different media being used for sculpting. what types do people recommend for what jobs? is there one type that makes a better general purpose medium? or should i try using a couple of types?

Pig Of Sparta Posted Today, 06:35 AM

@ Replica: Did you finish your Wolf Guard already? I know that they're still very rough, but I like the look of the 'less squatting more standing' pose of the legs. I'm looking forward to your next update on these smile.gif

Nah, havent finished the Wolf Guard yet, still working on the besagews and sourcing a nice piece of marble to display him on. Glad you like the legs, im going to angle the feet a little more as im thinking of positioning him either in or near a crater.

Lestat Posted Today, 05:16 AM

I think that they would be feeling despondant, anger, betrayal, maybe a little relief and guilt at surviving. A sense of loss too - for the Emperor and for dead battle brothers. Quite a bit to try and convey in a model. I would like to see where you take this. I have my own idea of how a Marine should look after just surviving the deadliest battle of his life. I don't want to say too much, but I think you have the pose of the legs just about right.

Yeah, im going to try to squeeze as much emotion into two plastic toy soldiers as i can :D But i do agree, there would be a mix of emotions that a marine would not have been used to, but i think there would be an underlying sense of...dare i say it.....fear....

Rider-75 Posted Today, 10:52 AM

@replica: looks like the sorto f pose i'd go for. a despondant marine would probably be slouched, slightly hunched, head bowed slighty in introspection. or at least that's the way i'd be going.

I think i will have him looking down at a dead Son Of Horus, looking somewhat confused. Asking 'how could this have happened' and 'what will become of the imperium ive fought so hard to build'.

Above all i want a sense of honor to him too, and pride, this is a marine that has won the greatest battle mankind has ever faced, but at extreme cost. It is alot to get in there, but i want to find a nice middle ground so that someone who doesn't know the story will still enjoy the model and take away the feeling that something important has happened to the character.

Thanks folks, there will be a new update soon!

Replica

Cut off the forearms of a Space Marine arm, glue on some decnet claw-like hands, and mold fur - hey presto, a Wulfen!

gallery_39951_4431_518124.jpg

gallery_39951_4431_270843.jpg

Are they Undead Zombie hands or from the Chaos Posessed sprue?

VERY nice there, Astador B) Beautiful start, how do you paint the flesh?

Thanks ;)

The skin is actually done as a bone I may go back and redo it for a more eerie colour. But the current face was done with a

basecoat of Umbral Umbral from P3,

then 1:1 Umbral: Bestial Brown

1:1 Bestial Brown: Graveyard Earth

1:1 Graveyard: Kommando Khaki

1:1 Khaki: Bleached Bone

Pure Bleached Bone

wash with Develin Mud.

The other recipe I usually use for bone and parchment is

Charadon Granite basecoat

2:1 Granite: Bleached Bone

1:1 Granite: Bleached Bone

1:2 Granite: Bleached Bone

Pure Bleached Bone

1:1 Bleached Bone: Skull White

Pure Skull White for the highest points.

I'll post a reference photo later.

Cut off the forearms of a Space Marine arm, glue on some decnet claw-like hands, and mold fur - hey presto, a Wulfen!

gallery_39951_4431_518124.jpg

gallery_39951_4431_270843.jpg

Thanks, I is a very good idea but.. the only arms like that I have is space hulk genestelears and I am not going to destroy them.

So.. I could sculpt the arms or get another idea?

Thanks for the suggestions guys. If you'd like to mosey on over and take a look, here's what I've done so far. The logo is only temporary mind and any and all feedback on the forum itself is appreciated too :cuss.

Here's the address:

http://brotherhoodofhobbyists.freeforums.org/index.php

thanks

James

+edit+ sorry Wing-z, I just noticed you wanted to sign up. I'll add your name to the list shortly, but in the meantime welcome aboard :huh: +edit+

Archived