International Brotherhood of Hobbyists

I hate to say this mate, but I actually preferred the more subtle colour you achieved the first time. I think you could get something similar to that look though with an Ice Blue glaze on the flat parts of the blade. I'll bring the highlights up a little more and add a bit more depth to the blade's surface.

Sorry.

Quick update on the Chaplain Helm, painting has begun:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/ChaplainHelmcollage2.jpg

I've really just tried to block in the basic colours so far, but I've made a start on shading the bone areas and highlighting the eye lenses.

thanks

James

I hate to say this mate, but I actually preferred the more subtle colour you achieved the first time. I think you could get something similar to that look though with an Ice Blue glaze on the flat parts of the blade. I'll bring the highlights up a little more and add a bit more depth to the blade's surface.

Sorry.

Quick update on the Chaplain Helm, painting has begun:

http://i347.photobucket.com/albums/p456/pigofsparta/ChaplainHelmcollage2.jpg

I've really just tried to block in the basic colours so far, but I've made a start on shading the bone areas and highlighting the eye lenses.

thanks

James

That helmet is looking good Pig! With something that size, it would be a good opportunity to try out some freehand or maybe write some inspirational script on the side. Just an idea.

Are you going to mount it as a display piece? It could be a good entry for the open competition at Games Day. Maybe have the helmet resting on a battered old book with a Crozius alongside it.

Can I ask where you managed to pick the helmet up from? I would love to give something like this a go.

Hmmm. If I could get to Games Day I'd certainly consider entering it. Sadly I'm too far away and too broke to make it. Maybe in a couple of years though...

I'll PM you details of how I managed to get hold of this one, there's a clue in the subtitle of the Topic though.

As for the base. I think that actually sounds like a pretty cool idea, but I haven't the first clue as to how I'd go about making a Crozius. A book might just be do able if I can get my hands on something that resembles plasticard. That's got the wheels in my head turning though.....

Thanks

James

Hmmm. If I could get to Games Day I'd certainly consider entering it. Sadly I'm too far away and too broke to make it. Maybe in a couple of years though...

I'll PM you details of how I managed to get hold of this one, there's a clue in the subtitle of the Topic though.

As for the base. I think that actually sounds like a pretty cool idea, but I haven't the first clue as to how I'd go about making a Crozius. A book might just be do able if I can get my hands on something that resembles plasticard. That's got the wheels in my head turning though.....

Thanks

James

Thanks for the info James, I'll send our mutual friend a PM and see if he's got one. If not, I'll just have to see what I can come up with...............

As for the other ideas - ever thought about looking in a model shop? The kind of one that does dolls and doll's houses and the like. You may be able to find a large scale book in there and maybe even something which can be converted into a crozius.

Either that or use foam board to make the book. Ask around at your local supermarket or estate agents for any old signs that they are ditching. I managed to get some from where I used to work when they changed the signs.

Hail brothers. After a week of missing me, which I know you all have :P, I return from my travels!

Will resume work on my Death Company tomorrow. Hopefully will have the Dreadnoughts almost complete.

Oh and also now have $180 in spending cash, so I may begin some other things shortly.

Welcome back mate, cant wait for the Dreaddies! Any ideas what you intend to blow your cash on?

Pig of Sparta, one question about the Chaplain helmet.

Do you intend to paint the majority of it black, leaving only the face white, or do you want to go with the majority white as shown in your picture? I ask because I can't tell if that's a paint scheme or the foam (I'm not very perceptive). Also, aren't Chaplain helmets of that style (as in, not skull masks) black for the most part?

Hail brothers. After a week of missing me, which I know you all have :lol:, I return from my travels!

Will resume work on my Death Company tomorrow. Hopefully will have the Dreadnoughts almost complete.

Oh and also now have $180 in spending cash, so I may begin some other things shortly.

Welcome back mate, cant wait for the Dreaddies! Any ideas what you intend to blow your cash on?

Not any idea what-so-ever. My next 40K project after this BA army is a Wolfwing, but I don't want to start buying stuff for that yet. lol

Maybe a shiny new Daemon Prince. :lol:

I would want to join, but i don´t know if i will have to post something usually. I´m a very (i mean, very) slowly modeler, let´s not talk about painting, so if i, let´s suppose, have to "paint a mini in a month" or somethin, i can´t (it´s just an example, i know this is just beginning and so several things are just "in progress"). Of course, i´m perfectly able to give opinion/advice about anything, so if it´s just fine, i´m in! B)

So I finally got home, and when I arrived, I had a bunch of nice little presents come in from what I ordered before. ^_^

So I started Andre Cortola, my Chapter Master in Artificer Armor with a Thunderhammer and Stormshield.

Using Commander Culln of the Red Fists, the Terminator torso was cut off, and replaced with a Power Armor back torso. I'll be using Kantor's backpack banner, and a converted Thunderhammer.

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j276/shortsonfire79/IMG_0656-1.jpg

Hail Brothers! I really like the idea of this thread and wish to join your worthy cause.

I have tried something similar on the B&C with my 'Brain for Hire' thread were basically I was asked hobby related questions (themeing, converting, fluff) and helped people out with their armies. As this has a similar feel to it I would like to add my hobby knowlede to the pool and help out any who need it. I have a very good knowledge of the entire GW range of bitz and the 40k fluff in general.

I hope to be of help to the other Brothers and its always good to have another brain to bounce ideas off ^_^

@ The Normish: I'm not sure I completely understand what you mean I'm afraid. I think you mean is the 'creamy' bit still the resin? If that's the case then no it's part of the paint scheme. I'm not sure if there is a standard style for Chaplain helmets, but I kinda like the skull with black banding look that I've gone for on this one. I can see what you mean about mostly black being predominant though. :P (incidentally there's some 'finished' photos of the helmet in the dedicated thread I started in the WIP forum).

@ Lestat: Sadly there aren't any model shops closer to me than about 30 miles. However I have had an idea for making the Crozius. I've go a pair of Sanguinary Guard wings sitting in my bits box just now, so if I can find a length of plastic tubing or wooden dowel or something like that, I figure add some green stuff to complete the head of the Crozius and complete the detailing of the haft and bingo one Crozius Arcanum. As for getting plasticard, I actually work for my local supermarket so I'm gonna try and have a rummage about the place and see what I can find ^_^.

@ The Darker: Hi David, glad you found us :). There's no requirement to do anything for membership so you're more than welcome to join. I'll add your name to the member's list shortly.

@ Shortsonfire79: Looks like you're off to a pretty good start with your Chapter Master. I always thought it was kinda annoying how FW made Culln's legs and torso as a one piece component but you seem to have separated them without too much difficulty. I like the use of the Maximini helmet as well.

@ Master Chaplain Astador: I'm very envious of your $180 :). If I had that kind of free cash just now I'd be reserving a Limited Edition copy of Reach and snapping up some of FW's delicious looking Mk.III Space Marines. But that's just me....

@ Replica: cheers mate. If you look at the 'finished' pics in the WIP thread, you'll see that I tried to deepen the shading in the eyes a little more to make it look like the helmet isn't being work just now. I'm really pleased with how it's turned out though. I might have to start playing with greenstuff more often :).

thanks

James

@ Lestat: Sadly there aren't any model shops closer to me than about 30 miles. However I have had an idea for making the Crozius. I've go a pair of Sanguinary Guard wings sitting in my bits box just now, so if I can find a length of plastic tubing or wooden dowel or something like that, I figure add some green stuff to complete the head of the Crozius and complete the detailing of the haft and bingo one Crozius Arcanum. As for getting plasticard, I actually work for my local supermarket so I'm gonna try and have a rummage about the place and see what I can find :P.

Now thats an idea - I would use a reasonably large skull or similar to attach the wings to.

Hmmmm...........I'm thinking Forgeworld. The Daemonhunters purity seals pack has 2 skulls in it. If you glue them together back to back, it might work.

Heres a link so you can see what I mean - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...RITY-SEALS.html

i used the large skull from the FW marine and the wings from the Sang Guard back pack. I actually spent a lot of time thinking about how i was gonna go the Crozius, the whole time the perfect components were staring me in the eye...

i used the large skull from the FW marine and the wings from the Sang Guard back pack. I actually spent a lot of time thinking about how i was gonna go the Crozius, the whole time the perfect components were staring me in the eye...

Great minds think alike as my Grandma says!

Lestat Posted Today, 08:25 AM

QUOTE (Replica @ Aug 5 2010, 11:16 PM) *

Great minds think alike as my Grandma says!

haha that they do!

Lestat Posted Today, 08:00 AM

QUOTE (Pig Of Sparta @ Aug 5 2010, 10:17 PM) *

@ Lestat: Sadly there aren't any model shops closer to me than about 30 miles. However I have had an idea for making the Crozius. I've go a pair of Sanguinary Guard wings sitting in my bits box just now, so if I can find a length of plastic tubing or wooden dowel or something like that, I figure add some green stuff to complete the head of the Crozius and complete the detailing of the haft and bingo one Crozius Arcanum. As for getting plasticard, I actually work for my local supermarket so I'm gonna try and have a rummage about the place and see what I can find biggrin.gif.

Now thats an idea - I would use a reasonably large skull or similar to attach the wings to.

Hmmmm...........I'm thinking Forgeworld. The Daemonhunters purity seals pack has 2 skulls in it. If you glue them together back to back, it might work.

Heres a link so you can see what I mean - http://www.forgeworld.co.uk/Warhammer-4000...RITY-SEALS.html

The skulls arent that big, if you see here this is one of those skulls used on the bolter:

gallery_49031_4701_42139.jpg

the skull needs to be almost the size of the helmet, or a better way to put it is the skull needs to be the size of the marine's skull, big enough to fit into the helmet. Heres a pic of my Corzius, made to the same scale, using a 1:15th scale resin skull, sang wings and plastic tubing.

gallery_49031_4701_74317.jpg

Replica

@ Master Chaplain Astador: I'm very envious of your $180 ;). If I had that kind of free cash just now I'd be reserving a Limited Edition copy of Reach and snapping up some of FW's delicious looking Mk.III Space Marines. But that's just me....

thanks

James

Well it comes from family I haven't seen in 3 years! ;)

Other than that I am in a non-profit position working for an in-development table-top game company, and that is all I can say on that one! ;)

So bills are a month to month basis. So I'll take any commission work I can get! haha

I beta-tested Reach and wasn't impressed. It reminded me of Halo 3 with new weapons. I'll be interested to see more of the campaign but I wouldn't spend my money on the limited ed. stuff! :)

I do plan on buying a FW Dreadnought for Bjorn the Fell Handed when I get to it, so I may set the money aside until that project.

Oh and one Dreadnought is done minus chest piece and arms. Pics coming shortly.

@shortsonfire: mmmm - tasty. you are giving me idea on how to spend more money on my new inspirational true scale marines....... damn you!!

but i have a new shiny on the way:

Incoming Shiny!!

so gonna have to find a good recipe for UM painting.

anyone got a link for or a good blue recipe? i'm not a huge fan of the brighter tones, and am looking for something darker and grittier. more grimdark than smurf-blue.

though i think he'll be more for inspiration and maybe some press-moulding to build my own Roboute from mostly GW parts so i can actually use him (as a lowly chapter master.....) in games.

Archived