Hints of a New Model

Guroff

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I posted this over in the other SR thread in rumors and figured I'd do the same here.

It shows what I'd like to convert mine to look like when I get a couple. Shouldn't be too bad depending on how the kit goes together --certainly better than building my own out of Landraiders and Valks!

I swiped the image of a razorback turret, but I think something with an even lower profile would be even better. You could probably create something from the bits of the original turret that would work quite well.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4848/46166308.jpg

Oh no, don't loose that turret. Imagine the turret with 2 assault cannons! Smokin' hot. But I like the meltas better in your design.

That turret is about the only thing I like with this model. A bit disapointed, was hoping for something a bit more like an V-22 Osprey, not this...lump.

Sorry, the angles of the pictures are wrong. It wouldn't look right. I'm a graphic designer, not a miracle worker. :P

Too be honest, I hate the turret. Whatever, I suppose you'll probably be able to get one quite cheaply on bitz sites when these things come out. I get the impression a lot of people are not too fond of them.

This, this is what the official Stormraven model should be, not that... tub with wings.

While building my second Koyote-Pattern Stormraven I took photos of each stage of construction and even traced the plasticard pieces I used to make the hull. In light of this new model, I just may have to post a tutorial and templates for it.

After all of amazing models GW has produced over the last several years, this Smart Car with wings is a HUGE disappointment. :P

If the model in the photo is indeed the GW version, it should be nicknamed the: James Swallow-Pattern Stormraven. :lol:

To quote myself:

That looks like a fat, half-dead, drunken gnome with ugly, stubby little wings. Please, don't let it be real. My mind would die.

I think that it looks more like a babies toy plane and less like an uber assault vehicle. I think if they were to stretch it out more, take off the turret and vent, and not make it so tall, it would look a lot better.

If this is real, I may have to get around to scratch-building one.

Hmm... I'm happy they are finally doing a Stormraven, but I have to agree with the majority here. I'm not a fan. I'm sure this is the real deal. GW messed up with the Blood Angels article prior to the Codex being released. Looks a bit too chunky for my tastes. I think a lot of the scratch built ones I have on my blog are a lot nicer. Link below.

Yeah seen this on 4chan earlier and do not really like it will pick one up BUT I WILL have to do some heavy modding kinda like Xeones photoshop job and will also be changing the wings and the Tail and the Sides really not keen on the eldar turret oh and have to work out how to force the Hurricane bolters onto it where Brother Xeones has the Multimeltas Heavy Bolters to go on the roof where the Ass cans are and the asscan under it...

And then it is going to cost me around 120ish and then it better have all its options.

Ok Ive been staring at it for ages, and dispite what I said before........Now I love it.

Its longer that in appears, look just between the "hump" & engine intake at the back, the fuselage goes back further than you can see and appears to have a width and bulk to it, and the main body appears to taper alot less abruptly that that pic at first suggests "i.e. the wings arnt as "stuck on" as they might seem and blend much more with the fuselage. Plus go look at your landraider from the same angle now (you do have a landraider right?), it looks noticably shorter/stumpyer! I also reccomend zooming into the pic untill its a bit closer to actual size, for some reason I feel like I'm getting a more acurate idea of what it looks like than the smaller pic as it appears normally on the websites.

I think alot of people will change their minds when we get some more pics. Certainly its going to sell like hotcakes regardless, lost count of how many posts Ive seen on other sites along the lines of "I hate it, it looks stupid. I'm still gonna buy 10 tho!" hehe.

.....Wonder where the huricane bolters go? could get a bit crowded at the frontend if they are the same as the ones on a LRC

This model looks...bad.

To voice a /tg/ adage of METAL BOXES, while it is the over all aesthetics of the Astartes line of models, It should look like it can vaguely do what it is supposed to do. This does not. While I can not claim my home made storm raven is any better (and I do not pictures taken of it), it lacks a fundamental lack of balance. It really desires to have front wings to keep it looking halfway balanced.

Seriousley people all this talk of aerodynamics is somewhat silly given all the other massive liberties 40k fluff takes with physics and lore. And anyway these things; like Thunderhawks almost certainly have banks of gravidic repulsors and the like (landspeeders can semi fly down to a battlefield from high altitude by simply riding the cussion of anti-grav). Plus Its supposed to be massivley unstable, thats what makes planes manouverable, a eurofighter is impossible to fly by a human, it only works because the computers onboard can compensate for the fact that the plane is always on a knife edge. But it means it can do things more stable aircraft cannot.

The vectored thrusters on the wingtips would allow the raven to barrel roll and turn like a missile, but would take the skills of a super human pilot and a machine spirit to actually use (plus a super human physique to cope with the insane G forces). Its more like a Helecopter than a plane in practice I feel, just a helecopter that can kick in some mean fusion jets and dart around like a insect.

For reference I have just under 30 hours flying tuition time, and am obsessed with most things flight related. Existing tech could not make a stormraven or thunderhawk fly, but if you take the same tech as a landspeeder and put it on a chassis capable of producing enough mechanical lift with its wings to keep the thing flying under its own power you can use the cussion of anti gravity to compensate for any imballance from the centre of lift & gravity being too out of sync (landspeeders glide and skim as they lack the engines and chassis for sustained high altitude flight). This would become weaker the further the raven got from a planets surface (the planet being the source of mass the gravidic repulsors would be acting against) so they would need to go very fast indeed at high altitude, but given this thing is supposed to be able to make orbit It seems safe to assume it would have the necessary thrust, and I see no reason why imperial tech would not stretch to gravidic or ionic stabilisers and or intertial dampeners and the like. The wings could easily be mostly to provide pylons for engines & equipment & ordinance and simply to make it look more like a bird/honour the beneficent god emperor of mankind by bearing his sacred symbology of eagles wings in the design of their vehicles (which like all marine stuff is considered an extention/manifestation of the emperors will).

Anyway lots of ways to make it work in my head but maybe thats just me.

This, this is what the official Stormraven model should be, not that... tub with wings.

While building my second Koyote-Pattern Stormraven I took photos of each stage of construction and even traced the plasticard pieces I used to make the hull. In light of this new model, I just may have to post a tutorial and templates for it.

After all of amazing models GW has produced over the last several years, this Smart Car with wings is a HUGE disappointment. :mellow:

If the model in the photo is indeed the GW version, it should be nicknamed the: James Swallow-Pattern Stormraven. :)

sooo going to put washington plates on mine. ;)

I posted this over in the other SR thread in rumors and figured I'd do the same here.

It shows what I'd like to convert mine to look like when I get a couple. Shouldn't be too bad depending on how the kit goes together --certainly better than building my own out of Landraiders and Valks!

I swiped the image of a razorback turret, but I think something with an even lower profile would be even better. You could probably create something from the bits of the original turret that would work quite well.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4848/46166308.jpg

that's exactly how I'm gonna convert mine... the kit has some potential but you just have to convert it a bit ;)

imagine how cool the turret would look on a razorback

not gonna spend a penny on this model. Now that DE have been update, this could be the ugliest model in 40k. I'm gonna use my scratchbuilt until I find a better replacement. Was thinking of making something like the little ship in District 9.

I'm very surprised though at the number of BA players in this thread praising it but everywhere else(warseer,BOLS,whatever) think it's terrible and are wondering when GW is gonna say it's next years april fools joke.

IT'S A THUNDERHAWK FACE WITH LITTLE T REX ARMS/WINGS!!!

Archived