Hints of a New Model

Guroff

309 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Can anyone who calls it ugly explain to me how else you can make a small ship designed for both troops and carrying a Dreadnought while not being bigger than a Land Raider will look?

Sorry, but most conversions I've seen have been too big to use in game, or explain the transport capacity in the profile. Not to mention, with it's small size, it will be much more useful in actual gameplay with its 12 armor all round. Much easier to get into cover.

Finally, something big with 6 guns carrying a Dreadnought on the back looks... like a heavilly weaponed transport. Something small with 6 guns carrying a Dreadnought on the back looks ^_^ ing dangerous and made for only 1 thing: killing you!

I like it, not what I had expected but it surely has the Astartes look. And that is what is most important to me: I don't want something to look like X-ibit came with his friends and pimped out an IG vehicle, I want it to look Astartes!

I'm more interested in the dread than the Stormraven,

sorry; i really don't like it.

it's just nothing compared to a Landspeeder and Thunderhawk;

or even the older art of the dropships.

it's not astart-ish

I posted this over in the other SR thread in rumors and figured I'd do the same here.

It shows what I'd like to convert mine to look like when I get a couple. Shouldn't be too bad depending on how the kit goes together --certainly better than building my own out of Landraiders and Valks!

I swiped the image of a razorback turret, but I think something with an even lower profile would be even better. You could probably create something from the bits of the original turret that would work quite well.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4848/46166308.jpg

The only issue I can see here from a build perspective is where to get the front wings from?

I know what is going to happen to mine once I get one, The back end is getting a make over The wings are getting a change the Tail is going to get the Landspeeder look to it oh and the cockpit is getting that treatment, Oh and the Roof Turret is going to get that treatment and it will be getting a Chin Turret for the Assault cannons and I am still tossing up If I want the Front wings and If I do they are gonna be the Fins from a Drop pod.

ONE PICTURE PEOPLE!!! ONE LEAKED PICTURE FROM ONE (bad) ANGLE!!!

Why all the hate? Its like the nipples all over again :P I'm not used to seeing this level of venom on here (very sad panda) :(

I tell you why. Because after the model hits the shops any scratch build storm becomes illegal WYSIWG , because of LoS problems.

ONE PICTURE PEOPLE!!! ONE LEAKED PICTURE FROM ONE (bad) ANGLE!!!

Why all the hate? Its like the nipples all over again :P I'm not used to seeing this level of venom on here (very sad panda) :(

I tell you why. Because after the model hits the shops any scratch build storm becomes illegal WYSIWG , because of LoS problems.

So GW shouldent make a raven moddel because some people have already converted them? Or GW can ONLY make a raven that matches a conversion (i.e. yours cause its not like all scratch ravens are the same now is it?) This just makes my head hurt...

So GW shouldent make a raven moddel because some people have already converted them?

your asking from a gamer or company point of view. because for GW it is double awesome . people bought valks + bits to convert and now they have to buy more , if they want the same army legal. From gamers point of view , it is more money to be spent , so kind of a meh and it is not like it is some awesome model that is easy to sell [as of yet not many armies can use them] .

. yours cause its not like all scratch ravens are the same now is it

EC players bough tons of metal parts to make their armies fluffy . they bought them for HQs bikes , havocks , tanks etc every one of those options is illegal now and if you want to use standard NM , you cant even counts as those models . Do you think GW cares about vet players [aka those that have an army].

So GW shouldent make a raven moddel because some people have already converted them?

your asking from a gamer or company point of view. because for GW it is double awesome . people bought valks + bits to convert and now they have to buy more , if they want the same army legal. From gamers point of view , it is more money to be spent , so kind of a meh and it is not like it is some awesome model that is easy to sell [as of yet not many armies can use them] .

. yours cause its not like all scratch ravens are the same now is it

EC players bough tons of metal parts to make their armies fluffy . they bought them for HQs bikes , havocks , tanks etc every one of those options is illegal now and if you want to use standard NM , you cant even counts as those models . Do you think GW cares about vet players [aka those that have an army].

Do you not think that re reverse of this is just as true, I.E. the silent majority of players who havent converted a stupidly expensive and often rather underwhelming stormraven of our own are eagerly awaiting a propper GW moddel (WHICH EVERYONE KNEW WAS COMMING!). I'm a veteran player too (2nd ed) and I really want my official Stormraven!

Should GW only care about you and people of your midset? or should they try to please their mass market while making a load of cash? Sorry but the idea that a moddel is somehow bad just because some people have converted their own defies my comprehention. Are you actually being serious? cause it sounds like you are essentially saying "GW should do what I want them to do" rather than do what they were obviousley going to do from the moment the Raven was put in the codex, i.e. give it a moddel like just about everythig else in their range.

Not all vet players resent new codex releases mixing things up, infact thats that part I like most. New moddels, new armylists, new tactics etc. Keeps me interested and more importantly buying new things from GW! And regardless this does not compare in the slightest to units being invalidated or userped by new edditions. The storm raven has never had an official moddel or even a picture, so I dont see how you can possibly have a problem with GW's approach here unless they'd said "convert your own as we arnt going to do a moddel". They dident do that!

I don't really mind this model.

As others have said it looks like an Astartes pattern vehicle. And as for using the same pieces from other vehicles such as LR/Rhino doors...Doesn't this kind of make sense? Wouldn't they utilise as many similar pieces as possible for the same of the mass production and just for the ease of field repairs?

As for the wings looking too small...I'm pretty convinced it's the angle of the picture making it look somewhat stunted. Look how far the sloping wings going down come out. Looks like it's gonna be pretty substantial to me.

And as far as 'it doesn't look like I imagined'...Well...What can I say, I guess you imagined wrong. The thing is there is NO other pic of the storm raven. Now this looks like it will be it. I can't say there weren't great conversions done of proxy storm ravens because there really were, and yeah some of them were 'better' than this. But this will be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to model for the average gamer on the street.

I'm considering this new model a good thing.

I don't have the modeling skill to build up a Storm Raven like many others, so I need the official kit. And I don't like this kit so far, so I can save money by not getting one.

I am hoping it looks better though than this picture shows. The wings are way too small (which is really my main objection, looking at it as a physicist rather than a gamer)

I don't really mind this model.

As others have said it looks like an Astartes pattern vehicle. And as for using the same pieces from other vehicles such as LR/Rhino doors...Doesn't this kind of make sense? Wouldn't they utilise as many similar pieces as possible for the same of the mass production and just for the ease of field repairs?

As for the wings looking too small...I'm pretty convinced it's the angle of the picture making it look somewhat stunted. Look how far the sloping wings going down come out. Looks like it's gonna be pretty substantial to me.

And as far as 'it doesn't look like I imagined'...Well...What can I say, I guess you imagined wrong. The thing is there is NO other pic of the storm raven. Now this looks like it will be it. I can't say there weren't great conversions done of proxy storm ravens because there really were, and yeah some of them were 'better' than this. But this will be a hell of a lot cheaper and easier to model for the average gamer on the street.

I agree 100%.

Also I'm pretty sure that the angle of the shot does not give it justice.

I'll reserve any further opinion on my behalf untill I see more pictures of it.

I quite like Brother Xeones' "conversion", as the raven doesn't look that tall with the Razorback-turret and easier to maneuvre as well. Also, the etra armour on the cockpit looks much better and is quite fitting as this dropship has that ceramite plating and whatnot. Only the front wings are a bit disturbing, but hey. I can't say that I like that eldar-esque turret, too much glass, too less astartesness! Get them about 50 sensors on the hull and a few more cables, and I´d be fine with it. :)

Before grading this further, I will wait until I can hold the model in my hands.

Snorri

I am going to reserve judgement on this model until I've seem more of it but so far I'm not too impressed. I do agree that it looks very Astartes but tbh I've never liked that look on their aircraft. Not enough amoured flyer and too much flying brick for my taste.

And to anyone saying that we shouldn't have built DIY SRs since we knew an original was gona come some time I must say seeing this I far prefer my pair of (admittedly kinda incomplete) Ravens to this 1. But I do feel that GW should've put a picture up somewhere that we could use as a guideline. Even 1 rough sketch in WD. Something :)

Agreed on the angle part. I think it looks a lot different from other angles. If you look at the current picture you see a pretty sharp left-front angle of view. Yet still you see some of the right wing sticking out near the front of the cockpit.

I think the wings are a lot more massive than this picture shows, it might have a pretty wide profile from the front, possibly as wide as it is long. And that would be pretty awesome in my book, it will give it a sort of 'flying wing' look, like a Stealth Bomber but than 40ked up and Astertified (yes, that's a word!)

As others, I don't bash the model on this one picture and think it has quite some potential.

And to anyone saying that we shouldn't have built DIY SRs since we knew an original was gona come some time I must say seeing this I far prefer my pair of (admittedly kinda incomplete) Ravens to this 1. But I do feel that GW should've put a picture up somewhere that we could use as a guideline. Even 1 rough sketch in WD. Something :lol:

Not saying people shouldent have converted one, or even that they shouldent continue to do so even after this moddels release if they want. I was simply saying that people having made conversions is not a good a reason for GW to have not made this is moddel etc.

& I suspect the main reason you never got a pic is because they had not finalised the design when the codex had to be signed off ready to print. Same as alot of the new Dark eldar charachters, many dont have pics cause GW desigers dont want to paintthemselves into a corner when they are still designing/making up their minds. Plus GW loves hype and suspense like this anyway so I imagine theres an element of delibarate withholding to build interest etc.

Loved chairman woo's reply. More posts like this and I would spend more time on B&C.

What is EC? There is a rant about buying metal pieces for it which was way off my radar.

The Dread doesn't look different enough to be a new kit. Not enough BA bling. But it could be new front plates and sarcophagus and right arm. Perhaps in the battle force box mentioned in the text or in the stormswallow kit along with the Dreadnought grapples.

Ugly? Surely we can use all kinds of conversions and paint jobs to make it beautiful. How beautiful is a rhino, when all is said and done. The one with a bulldozer and giant gun on the front (forget the name) is really nasty, but no-body even thinks about it now.

I like it a lot and I think that a huge number of people are astonishingly overreacting (seen forumswide). I haven't witnessed something of this magnitude before. We have exactly one picture and most people are crying the sky is falling. I can see that people were expecting something else or don't really like it but calls of it being the most ugly or worst model ever is so unproportianate a reaction it makes me cringe. The builtup of expectation must have been gigantic to result in this level of disappointment.

Another perspective: Most SR-conversions I have seen are imho not worth the effort (esp.money) including the Koyote one shown in this thread. That one epitomiszes the brick that cannot fly image worse then the official one imho (e.g. no thrusters on the underside). Still I think it is a proper representation of what it is supposed to be. Quite decent and I'd love to play against it but I fail to see where it is supposed to be so much better then the official one coming (except for a larger crew compartment). But as always each to their own.

Someone said at Warseer that they will be available for more then just BA and GK coming in february so I will have to decide wheter to paint ImpFist yellow or BA red. ^^ Hmm, I gotte start toying around with some armylists.

I don't like it. Its a bit too blocky and I really hate lascannon turret.

I posted this over in the other SR thread in rumors and figured I'd do the same here.

It shows what I'd like to convert mine to look like when I get a couple. Shouldn't be too bad depending on how the kit goes together --certainly better than building my own out of Landraiders and Valks!

I swiped the image of a razorback turret, but I think something with an even lower profile would be even better. You could probably create something from the bits of the original turret that would work quite well.

http://img338.imageshack.us/img338/4848/46166308.jpg

That looks a lot better. Looks simple enough so I Might even buy two of them and do a bit cutting.

the silent majority of players who havent converted a stupidly expensive and often rather underwhelming stormraven of our own are eagerly awaiting a propper GW moddel (WHICH EVERYONE KNEW WAS COMMING!).

you mean like a DP that we had to wait for 2 years and it still doesnt have wings ? There is no such thing as "everyone knew it was coming" with GW . PMs are the main stay of the chaos dex , they still dont have new models . As the underwhelming part goes . Well If someone wants to play an alfa strike build , the a storm raven is a viable option . If it wasnt viable people would not convert them out of valks[and GW wouldnt make a legal model for it, because stuff that does not sell does not get new models after the first wave]

cause it sounds like you are essentially saying "GW should do what I want them to do" rather than do what they were obviousley going to do from the moment the Raven was put in the codex, i.e. give it a moddel like just about everythig else in their range.

I asked it which opinion do you want[by the way I do not play BAs outside of test games] . for GW as company it makes sense , for gamers it does not. It is not a rhino , its not something everyone needs , its a model that is used in a handful of builds and that is all. I doubt that are many players who already own a storm , that are happy that now they will have to buy 2 extra ones just to make their armies legal again [with at the same time having 0 chance to selll the storms they have now].

Not all vet players resent new codex releases mixing things up, infact thats that part I like most.

for what army ? ask nid or chaos players what they think about new dexs. + it is your personal opinion am talking here about how sales work . People dislike changing whole army set ups after the first wave , no one wants to pay twice in the same edition for the identical army just because GW decides it is "cool" to make a new model . imagine GW making a new rhino class model [lets say the entry in the BA dex says Baal patern rhino and not rhino] , the new one has different size [hell it may even look cool] and now all of the sudden every BA player has to buy 3-4 rhinos , everyone who used BA counts as has to rebuild their rhinos etc. You think people would like that ?

New moddels, new armylists, new tactics etc.

only there is 0 new tactics for storm raven using lists , 0 new army lists for BA players with the storm model coming. Just more cash spent for people who would want to use the armies they already used with the 5th ed dex.

and if your talking about EC , then the EC players droped from 3 different main list mecha/syren build/demon bomb out of which at least 2 were top tier to 1 list which isnt even tier 2 .

And regardless this does not compare in the slightest to units being invalidated or userped by new edditions.

models you paid for become illegal , if you want to use the same list you need to buy more models , there is 0 ways to sell the converted storm [bAs need the new ones and for IG they are useless because of different weapon options , sometimes size ] . how is that different ?

The storm raven has never had an official moddel or even a picture, so I dont see how you can possibly have a problem with GW's approach here unless they'd said "convert your own as we arnt going to do a moddel".

ok am missing something here . and what does this have to do with the fact that unless you work for GW you most of the time dont want to buy the same models over and over again in the same edition ?

Archived