No worries mate, I just find it a shame that it is a failure from your perspective, but I completely understand why you don't want to work on it for the moment.

So, whatever project you choose to do next, I wish you luck and in a way, I'm glad that you didn't continue working on a Chapter that didn't feel like your own anymore.

And to be honest, after some thought, I did enjoy the Stonebound, but then all of your IA's were great reads, so i have no doubts that whatever you do next will be great ;)

Good luck Ace!

Ludovic

I'll beat you with a stick, boy.

More seriously: knowing exactly what you want is for incompetents. Knowing vaguely what you want and making up the rest as you go/ripping it off is how success happens.

Then maybe I'll get to work on these guys once the Black Chapter is up and running. ;)

Ludo, it's not so much that the Stonebound don't feel like my own Chapter any more. There's still plenty of room for me to add stuff, if nothing else.

It's more that they feel more like my own personal master-crafted headache!

It's more that they feel more like my own personal master-crafted headache!

A curse on their ability to re-roll their results on the Head Damage Table! :lol:

Ludovic

1- Annoyance

2- Minor Headache

3- Headache

4- Major Headache

5- Migraine

6- Implosion

:P

Then maybe I'll get to work on these guys once the Black Chapter is up and running. msn-wink.gif

Ace, you've got to remember something.

First, it's not a race. IAs are never finished.

Second, Since you started the Stonebound, I have basically finished writing about the Steel Dogs and have begun writing about the Black Chapter. You are thus behind me. Try and catch up. You're almost as bad as Ydalir.

Then maybe I'll get to work on these guys once the Black Chapter is up and running. msn-wink.gif

Ace, you've got to remember something.

First, it's not a race. IAs are never finished.

Second, Since you started the Stonebound, I have basically finished writing about the Steel Dogs and have begun writing about the Black Chapter. You are thus behind me. Try and catch up. You're almost as bad as Ydalir.

So it's not a race... but you're ahead of me? <_<

And I did revamp the Infinity Knights, update the Red Lords and write the Sons of =][=Deleted=][= after starting the Stonebound.

Not that any of that matters though, since it's not a race. :lol:

Ace

So it's not a race... but you're ahead of me? wacko.gif

Exactly.

And I did revamp the Infinity Knights, update the Red Lords and write the Sons of =][=Deleted=][= after starting the Stonebound.

Not that any of that matters though, since it's not a race. tongue.gif

Running in circles isn't progress. :P

Ydalir

I resent that Octy.

It may be true, but that doesn't stop me resenting the hell out of it.

*Shakes fist*

Were I still young and optimistic, I might hope you'd use that resentment to drive an IA to completion. ;)

God are you a bunch of grumphy old men... Especially you Octavulg ;)

All kidding (how's that for irony!) aside, I sorry to hear that you're taking a break for the Stonebound, Ace.

They certainly are a very interesting chapter, however I think I understand how the process have been something of a headache for you :D Especially with the preasure to perform you have been under :)

Guess I'll find another topic to lurk in for inspiration...

Cheers!

• 3 months later...

I can't believe I'm doing this again. :)

My stubborn refusal to learn coming into play, I guess! :sweat:

I can lay the blame for this post squarely at the feet of the excellent Legio Imprint II, for reminding me how much fun watching the Lions of Alba take shape was.

Admittedly I didn't contribute much to them beyond part of the name and about 40,000 colour schemes that got shot down, but hey. It was still fun! :P

So anyway. I've put together a brand new re-draft of the outline. No more Rift Lords, no more Red Sabres, and at least 100% more inquisitorial schemeing.

It'll probably need another thousand updates to get up to scratch, but what IA doesn't? :)

So, feel free to tear my ideas apart into dozens of tiny little chunks and scatter them to the four winds. If you can C&C the outline whilst doing so, all the better. :lol:

I"m liking it so far ... really missing the Dwarven feel myself, but I'll keep an eye on them for Dwarvish tendencies. :P

Hey, the only dwarvish influence that's been cut is the mangled, horrible attempt to justify a more codex-regular battle style. ;)

There's also that 'denying that our best days are basically over' stuff I've added in, which borrows from tolkien-esque dwarves without being extra blatant.

It should balance out nicely, in theory at least. :lol:

I like where this one is going/went. The battle cry is a nice one! The color scheme is easy on the eyes and compliments their name very well. The fact that they dwell underground for survival/comfort reasons is a good one. I think this is the first IA that underground is where everyone lives. I don't have much time to read in crazy detail right now, but I will keeping an eye on it.

Do they have any enemies/allies in other Astartes Chapters? Or is their main run-in with the Inquisition?

I like where this one is going/went. The battle cry is a nice one! The color scheme is easy on the eyes and compliments their name very well. The fact that they dwell underground for survival/comfort reasons is a good one. I think this is the first IA that underground is where everyone lives. I don't have much time to read in crazy detail right now, but I will keeping an eye on it.

Do they have any enemies/allies in other Astartes Chapters? Or is their main run-in with the Inquisition?

Cheers. <_<

The battle cry wasn't my idea, actually.

I can't think of any standout allies or enemies of the Stonebound amongst the other Chapters, really. There's bound to be some they get on with and others they don't, but I haven't really given it much thought.

The battle cry wasn't my idea, actually.

Wasn't mine either B)

Howver, I have had a somewhat inspired idea if you wanted to get across the Dwarven feel with being Slow and Purposeful - if you're dead set against that now I'll keep schtum though.

I'm not so much set against it, but it occurs to me that there's nothing dwarvish about being slow.

By contrast, they're a WS successor and have no real reason not to act like it.

That said, I'm always open to ideas, especially inspired ones. :D

I'm not so much set against it, but it occurs to me that there's nothing dwarvish about being slow.

By contrast, they're a WS successor and have no real reason not to act like it.

That said, I'm always open to ideas, especially inspired ones. B)

"Slow" might be the wrong word, but considered and thoughful about actions is how I'd percieve Dwarves in most IPs given their usual skill with crafting and the like.

Think about high-gravity worlds.

On those worlds one develops more muscle mass to compensate, this also means that on normal- or low-gravity worlds this muscle mass grants an increase in body strength.

Now, people born on high-grav worlds are often more careful and considerate in their actions because of how potentially dangerous those actions could be on a normal world.

Where is this rambling going, I hear you ask?

Well, if their homeworld is a high-grav world you can work in that from a young age they are taught to be careful and purposeful with how they move, or act - perhaps even spean - because if they don't learn this, at some point they could accidentally kill or damage something or someone.

You could perhaps, if you want a technologically inferior NatPop (I'm making up my own abbreviations now :D), make it a part of their training; their already superior musculature is then further genhanced after all.

The End.

That's certainly an interesting idea!

But... given how outlandish Kagara is already (speaking geographically), adding High Gravity to the mix is going to mean spending too much time on detailing the homeworld. I'll be kinda pushing it as it is, I think.

That and I think the Khan-esque Fast Attack style fits the Chapter (not the dwarvish theme, but that isn't the same thing) every bit as well.

Hmm.

I'll probably stick with the Fast-attack for now, but that doesn't mean that your idea isn't good. <_<

First off, it's good to see you in IA makin' mode once again Ace ^_^

I have read the new version, but it'll take a couple of read through's before I can comment too much, but I do like the over all feel.

One thing to point out though - The White Scars are known to be horrified by the thought of being interred into a Dreadnought. I know that this piece of WS fluff is kinda in flux, as there has been a few WS Dreads painted and posted on the 'net. I did notice however, that the interned are "Volunteers", so it could be argued that whilst it's a very taboo thing for them to do, it is recognised as an....important part of keeping the Stonebound's heritage alive - a living record or witness (or something like that)? Older Dwarves are sometimes known as living ancestors

Also, know how you feel about "thematic saturation". It's been a big problem for me over the last couple of years.

Will have another good look at it later ^_^ but :D

* With the Chapter's force in the regions around Kagara mostly given over to the Penitent Crusade, most of the Stonebound-held worlds had been sacked by Chaos warbands or occupied by Ork or Eldar forces.

* The Inquisitors who had accused the Stonebound of forging their own Empire issued mandates ensuring anyone helping the Stonebound reclaim these worlds would be tried for the same crime of Empire-building.

* The four Companies who had remained at home have taken a severe battering trying to face down too many opponents at once, and are mostly focused on protecting Kagara.

Two things spring to mind here:

First, this would involve a lot of siege warfare. If you want them to be a bit less White-Scarsy, this is a good opportunity.

Second, you could improve that opportunity by having them forced off their home world altogether. Their original home world was more White Scarsy, and the one they are force to move to is much less so. This is also what encourages their forging traditions - they're ensuring they'll always be able to rebuild their armoury.

It'd also be an opportunity to emphasize all OTHER aspects of the White Scars in them. What are the White Scars without speed? You tell us.

* When winter comes, entire clans migrate from the surface in armoured convoys to the deep underground.

You could have them underground all the time, even. As a thought.

* Every male of fifteen and older must forge his own axe and mail as a rite of passage - said mail and axe used to guard the clan caravans from beasts (and other clans) during migrations.

The mail always feels off to me. Axe, sure. Mail...doesn't feel right. Mail's kind of a pain to make, anyway. I'd cut it to just the axe. Or axe and shield, if you must have two things.

Excerpts from the 'Legacy Saga

Gosh, whoever wrote that must be awesome.

No stains upon the sky were seen

Wounds would work better than stains.

And whisper to the Sons in dreams

His Sons would work better than the Sons.

His and Son should be capitalized every time, I think.

Had destroyed all that they had kept

Take out "had".

* Excerpt from the Legacy Saga* NOW IN SIDEBAR* goes here, because if it doesn't, I'll be killed. By Batman, no less.

Batman doesn't kill.

At least, as far as you know.

* Insert snappy Battlecry here.

* "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken!" is probably going to be said snappy battlecry. Cheers CJJ. tongue.gif

"For Octavulg!" is catchy and thematically appropriate. Somehow. I'll come up with a reason later.

So, I've dropped all the Rift Lords and Red Sabres stuff for now, in favour of a 'Fallen Empire' sort of feel (at least that's the idea).

Good. Good.

First off, it's good to see you in IA makin' mode once again Ace :D

I figure it's only fair to give everyone else a chance to get revenge C&C my wacky ideas once in a while.

One thing to point out though - The White Scars are known to be horrified by the thought of being interred into a Dreadnought. I know that this piece of WS fluff is kinda in flux, as there has been a few WS Dreads painted and posted on the 'net. I did notice however, that the interned are "Volunteers", so it could be argued that whilst it's a very taboo thing for them to do, it is recognised as an....important part of keeping the Stonebound's heritage alive - a living record or witness (or something like that)? Older Dwarves are sometimes known as living ancestors

That's pretty much it in a nutshell. The Stonebound that are OK with Dreadnoughts look at them as a neccessary evil. Others are still uncomfortable with the idea, although they show respect to the machines because, well, there's a Stonebound in there.

Also, know how you feel about "thematic saturation". It's been a big problem for me over the last couple of years.

Well, realistically, I can't blather on about 'keep it subtle' and so forth and then turn around and metaphorically shout 'DWARVES HERE! GET YORE DWARVES HERE!'

Also, I didn't really ever want the Stonebound to be 'Space Wolf Blatant'. ;)

Two things spring to mind here:

First, this would involve a lot of siege warfare. If you want them to be a bit less White-Scarsy, this is a good opportunity.

Second, you could improve that opportunity by having them forced off their home world altogether. Their original home world was more White Scarsy, and the one they are force to move to is much less so. This is also what encourages their forging traditions - they're ensuring they'll always be able to rebuild their armoury.

It'd also be an opportunity to emphasize all OTHER aspects of the White Scars in them. What are the White Scars without speed? You tell us.

I actually intended to leave the opening should I change my mind about the Fast Attack stuff.

All part of my cunning plan, don't'cha know. ;)

With regards to the second part; do you mean move from Kagara or move to Kagara?

White Scars without the high speed, eh? I'd say they were tenacious, headstrong, agressive, merciless warriors who believe in the dream of a united Imperium.

Which means I've probably got them all wrong.

* Every male of fifteen and older must forge his own axe and mail as a rite of passage - said mail and axe used to guard the clan caravans from beasts (and other clans) during migrations.

The mail always feels off to me. Axe, sure. Mail...doesn't feel right. Mail's kind of a pain to make, anyway. I'd cut it to just the axe. Or axe and shield, if you must have two things.

Actually, that's a good point. I'll probably stick with just an axe for simplicity's sake.

Excerpts from the 'Legacy Saga

Gosh, whoever wrote that must be awesome.

Wait didn't you wri-

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhh. I get it!

* Excerpt from the Legacy Saga* NOW IN SIDEBAR* goes here, because if it doesn't, I'll be killed. By Batman, no less.

Batman doesn't kill.

At least, as far as you know.

Just because there are no recorded cases of Batman killing someone doesn't mean he doesn't do it, it just means there are no witnesses.

So I'll keep the sidebar, all things considered.

* Insert snappy Battlecry here.

* "Unbowed, Unbent, Unbroken!" is probably going to be said snappy battlecry. Cheers CJJ. tongue.gif

"For Octavulg!" is catchy and thematically appropriate. Somehow. I'll come up with a reason later.

Batman isn't a dwarf, nor is he a Dwarvish attribute. :P

I suspect that battlecry might be better suited to another Chapter!

EDIT:

Updated the first post with mistakes corrected and a better explanation of their view on Dreadnoughts.

Archived