Greatest Legions of all?

eaglefists13

I don't see why learning from the emperor and knowing how to use his brother's skills to their best count against Horus when these things show why he is better. Just because someone is educated doesn't disqualify him from being better it just gives him an advantage. In the end best is still best. Besides the emperor chose him as Warmaster over all the others. Considering the emperor had more important things to do and he had to leave his empire's vast military might in the hands of one man says a lot about how skilled that man is (Horus). I'd still say he was the greatest Primarch although nowhere near perfect.

Although Sanguinius bested him in sparring once... <_<

More for sanguinius

1) He killed a Bloodthirster with his bare hands (fulgrom only managed a poxy avatar :rolleyes: )

2) I thought it was Sanguinius who conducted the defense of the Emperors Palace?

3) Held the Outter Gate for Hours single-handed to allow loyalists to fall back in good order

4) went to his death knowingly and even though Horus tried to tempt him with life and power still he would not bend knee.

not the most successful Primarch perhaps but surely the greatest.

Its rather silly to talk about a "best" primarch/legion. Each is a tool, with its own specialty and purpose. To say one is better than another is like saying a hammer is better than a wrench. Now, if you qualified that as to who is best at which things, then thats alright. A hammer is better than a wrench and pounding nails. An Iron Warrior digs a better trench than a Thousand Son. Just be specific. If you want who is best at spreading the Imperial Truth. then I'd say Ultramarines, as they took over worlds and rebuilt them in Terra's image. If you want who is the best fighters, I'd say Space Wolves, although that statement, being less specific, is up for debate.

We disclude Konrad Kurze, he is just too mental and bonds with only a couple of Primarchs.

We now disclude Lorgar, a lot of Primarchs kept him at distance as his worship was distasteful, plus the amount of victories pre Monarchia for the size of the legion is inept to a degree.

That leaves the Primarch everyone loves to hate (barring Erebus the Ultra's and Guilliman seem to have the most detractors) ROBOUTE GUILLIMAN

If "nobody likes them" is a reason to discount Kurze and Lorgar, why doesn't it discount Guilliman? Bit of a double-standard there.

Of the remaining 5 we disclude Horus. This will be met with derission and scorn but the logic pans out. He was the target of Chaos, The others in the list above (Lion?) would never be tempted and didnt turn to chaos. So he was weaker in the mind.

The Emperor didn't seem to think so.

Like Dorn He was overly vain another weakness. He did seek the approval of his brothers referring to 3 above in the list.

Asking others to help is vanity now?

he thought that Dorn could defend no matter what (his legion the best in attack against the best in defence).

So?

He mused that Sanguinius and not he should be Warmaster.

So?

His tally of victories albeit the greatest was skewed drasmatically by the length of time with The Emperor

So?

He out of all the Primarch used the others to further his campaigns and won a great many victories due to the help of the Death Guard, World Eaters, Iron Warriors, Ultra's and Raven Guard. No other legion had this boon.

So?

He was also the first Primarch found and spent 20 years learning from the Emperor. The whole twenty years!

So?

some Primarchs got little time with the Emperor so this counts heavily against him.

Why?

With all the stuff in his favour he fell the furthest

So?

He may of been the charismatic leader but isn't that the same of Luther.

So?

So inevitably we disclude him.

Why?

That leaves the Primarch everyone loves to hate (barring Erebus the Ultra's and Guilliman seem to have the most detractors) ROBOUTE GUILLIMAN

If "nobody likes them" is a reason to discount Kurze and Lorgar, why doesn't it discount Guilliman? Bit of a double-standard there.

Though I agree with your logic Plague Angel, applying one rule against some Primarchs but not others seems like a logical double standard, without a very, very good reason, I would like to point out I think eaglefist13 was actually referring to real people hating Guilliman rather than the actual characters from the Heresy.

Besides, there is no evidence Guilliman was the most hated Primarch from a background perspective. Lorgar hated him, but then we know he was jealous of Guilliman's perceived favour in the eyes of the Emperor in regards to his own position, whilst the only other Primarch we think we know :rolleyes: had a strained relationship with Guilliman was Alpharius. But in Legion he actually seems to imply the hatred is actually Guilliman towards him and not the other way round.

Best is subjective. Go onto youtube and type in 'the best special forces in the world.' You'll get huge variations: One guy might go for the oldest one, 22 SAS, another for the most famous, the US Delta Force. Perhaps another might go for the guys with the famously hard training, the French Foreign Legion. Maybe you could go for the Sayeret Maktal.

It depends on your preference. Whilst some Legions had a greater impact on the course of Imperial history than others, I can't really see how we can ever arrive at a Q.E.D, mathematical or logical example of who is 'greatest'.

We don't know the hair colour of the greatest primarch, we don't know if he had orange power armour... all we know is that he is called the stig!

But seriously I think one quote puts to rest the greatest legion of them all debates...

"The first and greatest!"

Codicier Lucion perfectly expresses my opinion on this thread. Sorry dude. :)

In my opinion, if you had to say which Legion was the best in terms of their martial record, it would be:

1. Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus

2. Dark Angels

3. Ultramarines

If you want to talk tactical genius, the running is:

1. Alpha Legion

2. Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus

3. Dark Angels tied with Raven Guard

If you want to talk coolest/ most arse-kicking Primarch, the running is:

1. Sanguinius (Blood Angels)

2. Corax (Raven Guard)

3. Horus (Luna Wolves/Sons of Horus)

I think there is an obvious answer. But I also think that 80% of the players do not want to hear it.

I'm guessing I know what that answer is, in your opinion.

There really is no single answer, because the criteria for judging depend on the person and are still hugely subjective.

Of course, you could evaluate the Legions based on which Primarch you think was a cool guy, or which Legion did a cool thing at some point. Or you could look at what each Legion had accomplished. Someone may think that the Death Guard is super cool. But if he is being fair, then he will probably have to admitt that the Legion did not accomplish as much as the Imperial Fists. Just to give an example.

Someone may think that the Death Guard is super cool. But if he is being fair, then he will probably have to admit that the Legion did not accomplish as much as the Imperial Fists. Just to give an example.

Thing is from the current background that is how it appears but with a book or two about the Death Guard that could change.. but I understand your point.

Archived