The Tyrant Rises - Update 5/18/15 - Tac Marines Done

You rarely see axe wielding Librarians these days. I think you should keep it. biggrin.png

Funny you should say that, I've just got finished my own Carcharon Libby with a grav pitol and force axe, pic will be up later tonight.

Looks like I'm mirroring Nurgling all the way ;)

Nurgling, you UK based? Would love my sharks to face off against your claws ;)

Also you're models are truly inspiring my friend

I think that you should swap back the staff and convert the end of it into a halberd blade so it can count-as an axe in games but keep the very cool pose that the original model had. And, as others have said, the helmet looks quite strange, but I don't have anything to suggest as an alternative. Maybe a slimmer head? The MkIV ones from Forge World could work a treat, I think.

Hey guys, a quick update today. I feel bad for posting so much unpainted plastic so here is a WIP of my next Sternguard. I got a bit more work done on him while I was waiting for some coats of paint to dry from my airbrush on a commission which is eating most of my painting time (hence the unpainted models, I can get gluing done more easily at night while spending some TV time with the fiancee, doesn't require a high powered light).

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/gravitron1_zps06f92ee2.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/gravitron2_zps34012d7a.jpg

Only the armor and the blue is done, although the blue armor still needs damage. The gold is just base coated. The pictures are from my phone so I apologize for the quality.

I have since altered the Librarians pose as well. 

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/librarians_zps605e8eeb.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/librarians2_zpsed0e2834.jpg

I feel like it is much more imposing and menacing. Should I paint him blue with his left arm in Astral Claw colors, paint him in Astral Claw colors with a blue left arm or paint him in Astral Claw colors with a blue helmet?

@ Lorenzen: any updates from Games Day on the rules updates?

Like the pose it screams "come and get me"

Is that the assault squad power axe?

This may be really stupid but did you post the paint colors you used? It's 230 in the am and I couldn't find it...sorry if it's a repeat

Nurgling, I painted my libby with blue helm and shoulders and he looks fine with enough silver to look like an Astral Claw yet enough blue to look like a Libby.

Though I may have to replace him with all the ideas you are giving me.

Wow, This must be the greatest thread I have ever read! (spent the last few days reading it)

Your fluff and characters are amazing. I love the stories soo much and I found them very inspirational. As a Red Corsair Player I really want to see you Re-make your Characters as Corsairs. I got a little worried a few pages back there when you were unsure if your were selling them... you made the right decision!!

I can't wait to see more.

All Hail the Blood Reaver!!

Unfortunatley i couldn't get much info about the various chapter tactics & characters.. i was gunning for an answer to the "does Moloc get 4 attacks" quite heavily and never got an answer to that either sad.png

What i did get was mention that the chapter tactics are all pretty much sorted now, but the characters are a little way off still.. and that the official stance on the lamenters is "hey lamenters, you dont get any changes.. sucks to be you! codex: blood angels"

Unfortunatley i couldn't get much info about the various chapter tactics & characters.. i was gunning for an answer to the "does Moloc get 4 attacks" quite heavily and never got an answer to that either sad.png

What i did get was mention that the chapter tactics are all pretty much sorted now, but the characters are a little way off still.. and that the official stance on the lamenters is "hey lamenters, you dont get any changes.. sucks to be you! codex: blood angels"

So are you saying that FW have made chapter tactics for their chapters? Where did you get that information?

Yes, from Forge Worlds facebook page initially and then from various members of the team at Games Day UK.. I am lead to believe it is currently being proofed, where as the character update is further off.

one thing i do know for certain is that the Minotaurs dont have "prefered enemy space marines" as their chapter tactic, that is still linked to Asterion Moloc, they have something else army wide.

Yes, from Forge Worlds facebook page initially and then from various members of the team at Games Day UK.. I am lead to believe it is currently being proofed, where as the character update is further off.

one thing i do know for certain is that the Minotaurs dont have "prefered enemy space marines" as their chapter tactic, that is still linked to Asterion Moloc, they have something else army wide.

SWEET! Do you have any ideas what Chapters get tactics? Are Carcharodons on the list? Will the new CTs be tied directly to characters or exist on their own?

I'm so sorry to detour this wonderful thread, but that is some crazy big news for me :)

• 2 weeks later...

Ira

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/grav1_zps776cb6f1.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/grav2_zps84f8004e.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/grav3_zps659db7ea.jpg

Ira served with the Astral Claws for close to 3 centuries, his story is one of remarkable skill and unwavering loyalty, first to the Imperium and later the Tyrant. During his time in the 4th company he was noted as being particularly loyal to the Imperium and the Emperor and was even marked out as a potential candidate for the ranks of the Chaplains. The only thing that held him back was a underwhelming sense of leadership. In fact he never obtained the rank of sergeant or progressed past being a tactical marine for close to 200 years. Eventually his remarkable marksmanship saw him promoted to the ranks of the 1st and attached to the Sternguard program. Ira was staunchly loyal to his chapter but always harbored a kernel of bitterness for what he saw as a slight to his honor by never being granted a command of his own. After Huron's rise to power and restructuring of the chapter Ira was quick to switch his loyalties to the Tyrant first, Imperium second. Despite this he always believed that what they were doing was for the better of the Imperium. All they were trying to do was get the autonomy and resources they needed to scour the Maelstrom once and for all and secure the Imperium's borders. With the onset of open hostilities against the so called "loyalist" forces Ira was furious, he did not understand how the Imperium could betray them. This triggered a change in his personality as his long suppressed bitterness was turned against the Astartes they fought and the mortals they protected. He began to see humans as weak and unworthy of their attention, a trait shared by much of his chapter. After fighting several boarding actions against the Fire Hawks early in the war he switched out his standard bolter for one with an auxiliary Gravitron gun. He did this as much for effectiveness as for the sheer joy of seeing his enemies crumple in upon themselves, crushed by their own armor. Where Zaidu had a certain nihilism to his actions, Ira persecuted the Badab War with an honest conviction in the Tyrant's right to rule and the righteousness of their cause. As the war dragged on he became increasingly more unhinged and began to enjoy the act of killing as much as Zaidu. During the siege of the Palace of Thorns he became separated from his squad during a particularly brutal close quarters fire fight with a squad of Caracharodons and later found his way to the Tyrant's side in the tunnels below. After Huron was mortally wounded by the melta blast Ira ensured that his lord's broken body could be saved, covering the rearguard as they retreated and ultimately making it off planet with Huron's personal retinue.

Post-Badab War: Ira is documented as having been seen in the personal company of Huron on several battlefields. It is assumed that his actions defending their retreat on Badab earned him his lord's favor and he later obtained the rank of "chosen." The last recorded action of Ira was at Vilamus, with the raid on the Marines Errant's monastery. His body was recovered from the debris and review of camera footage of the raid shows his death is largely the result of the Corsair's Night Lord allies abandoning him to ensure their own safety.

Well there is the second member of my Sternguard squad done. Thank you Talos and AD-B for giving me a suitably grim and amusing way to end his tale. Never trust a Night Lord. 

Here are some pictures of what I call the "buddy cop" shot to close out the post:

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/buddycop_zps56f52102.jpg

http://i75.photobucket.com/albums/i317/tylerrox6688/buddycop2_zps13e9ed6c.jpg

I will have a nice little short story featuring these two waxing poetic about the fate of the Astral Claws, their Tyrant's cause and the meaning of life all to the tune of Zaidu slitting some Salamander's necks in the aftermath of a boarding action.

I was going to write it down today but my thoughts are to scattered at the moment to write a coherent story. I blame the coffee.

Just wow, your attention to detail on the model(s) as well as the piece of lore attached to it is amazing, they look exactly like the astral claws should. Absolutely fantastic.

I've always been a fan of your Astral Claws, nurgling. Every aspect combines to make an impressive whole, marking out your blog (to me) as one of the few on B&C that's entirely worthy of rereading or returning to repeatedly. I won't name names, brother, but you hold with illustrious company. ^_^

Archived