Campaign: Liber Astartes

Cpt_Reaper

I believe I'll forego submitting my own idea. I really don't care what we do background wise I guess, just glad to be a part of this.

Whilst it might be good to have a deadline for ideas, I feel like it is less a "submission" and more throwing something into the mixing pot. I never intended for my story to go through this intact, but absorb and be absorb into different storylines until we have one we are all happy with and one that no single person can claim as there own. This is why the second and third sections of my stories were so loose, entire campaigns could easily be written about those sections with their own complex story lines. For example, the Draco Sector could be where one of the relics was stolen too, and the story continues as Telanicus has outlined :D

"And it was upon the fields of Atok that the Sword of Petrok was found. The hands of a corrupt Traitor defiling its beauty." ;)

Whilst it might be good to have a deadline for ideas, I feel like it is less a "submission" and more throwing something into the mixing pot. I never intended for my story to go through this intact, but absorb and be absorb into different storylines until we have one we are all happy with and one that no single person can claim as there own. This is why the second and third sections of my stories were so loose, entire campaigns could easily be written about those sections with their own complex story lines. For example, the Draco Sector could be where one of the relics was stolen too, and the story continues as Telanicus has outlined :)

"And it was upon the fields of Atok that the Sword of Petrok was found. The hands of a corrupt Traitor defiling its beauty." :)

Why not take it a step further and say that the sword eventually became corrupeted/possesed by chaos thus practically becoming a Daemon weapon. I dunno if it works like that but it would really piss off the Imperium to see such a relic defiled in such a way. Hell Since if I remember right chaos plowed through the areas with the relics could say they all have a bit of chaos taint in them.

My suggestion would be to combine several or all of the plot lines suggested or at least incorporate elements from them all. Maybe with an entity driving everything from behind the galactic curtain so to speak. Something manipulating Chaos and the Imperial forces for its own ends. This plot device could be used to link the suggestions put forth so far. As the manipulator maybe a demon that came into existence from the misery experienced by the Imperium when the Emperor was enthroned in the Golden Throne. The demons purpose would be to sow misery and suffering. Prior to the Campaign it could be building its power base sow seeds across the known galaxy, basically getting its paws in everyone's pies. Just an idea for linking everything together.

I'm imagining spiderwebs within spiderwebs across the timeline.

Madwolf

So, I had a bit of an idea...

I was wondering if any of the chapters (or you chapter creators) that have been added to this campaign have an addiction to personal heraldry.

My chapter has a real focus on piety, on knowing that they are mere servants of the Emperor. They are not great, or even good. They are lowly. The chapter cult teaches that pride is the second-to-last step on the road to damnation, and that the only thing left is to accept the chaos gods as your new masters.

In the IA for my chapter, I was going to have a shouting match (maybe with guns!) between one of my captains and an Ultramarine (someone like Siccarius, who has a freakin boatload of it, he owns a land raider, for Emp's sake!) and argue about whether or not personal heraldry is a sign of pride and therefore demonic corruption.

But then I remembered this campaign, and wondered: could my chapter be loyal as long as they are alone in the vast reaches of the Ultima segmentum, but when they join a large crusade of a hundred (or whatever we in this campaign end up with) chapters, all vying for glory and not worrying about whether or not the Emperor's will is done, they see a bunch of vainglorious marines who are mere millimeters from becoming consumed by Chaos. After all, no one had more personal heraldry and honor than Warmaster Horus, right?

So there is a bunch of comparisons between (insert chapter or chapters here) and Horus and the Black Legion, the (chapter or chapters) get their feelings hurt, and start to view my chapter with suspicion, insults are hurled back and forth, ends up with a small schism, with the 'pious/dishonorable' chapters who just want to serve/fight/die for the Emperor on one side, and the 'vainglorious/honorable' chapters on the other who see heraldry and awards and accolades and land raiders as their due.

Could this be a good bit of Imperial politicking? We could have a lot of the young chapters, who would have less honor and less accolades, begin to chafe under the chapters that were much older. If we could have something like 3 groups that would be best. Those chapters that focus on glory would be angry with those who focus on piety, and there would be a mediator group.

I think this would make our campaign much more interesting. After all, even when three or four chapters get together, there is some stepping on toes, right? What about the 30 or 40 we end up with? Even if there were only a few chapters that sided with mine, I think it would still add a little bit of grimdark to our campaign. If my chapter is the only one that sees the darkness that is proudly displayed on others' armor, they may even abandon this campaign, leaving these foul marines to their pride and honor. If there is a neat dividing line right down the middle, could we have another inter-chapter war? Loyalists on all sides, but enemies in spirit. I think that would be just like the Warhammer 40K universe, honestly.

What do you think? I would like to start a motion that we add a "Chapter Pride" entry into the chart of the participating chapters, so we can get a good look at where each chapter is. I guess without getting into specifics, we could just put "high pride" for those who are very proud, "low pride" for those chapters that have little or none, and middle pride or "moderate pride" for those in between.

Things my captain was going to say to Siccarius (just so everyone get's an idea what the argument is about):

Proud Captain: "Well, brother-captain, I say we have earned great honor this day!"

Pious Captain: "How? We are space marines, and we fought like space marines should. Where is the honor in that?"

Proud: "We have brought great destruction to the Emperor's enemies, like those that came before us. This battle will be remembered in our halls of glory forever!"

Pious: "So? My chapter has been doing just that for centuries, yours for millennia. What have you done today that has not been done before?"

Proud: "We killed the emperor's enemies in great battle! What is not to celebrate? I will have this battle marked on the side of my land raider!"

Pious: "What need does the Emperor's land raider have of carrying your pride on it? It has more than enough to do by carrying death to the Emperor's enemies. Is a land raider your personal slave? Do you own it? NO! It is the Emperor's. Do not burden it with your additional weight, Captain."

Proud: "How will others of my Chapter know of my company's great deeds this day? I will have to show them, both in heraldry and in word."

Pious: "Again, what have you done that is great? Have not thousands of your brothers been captains before you? Have they not slain many Orks? Spilt the guts of traitors? Purged the galaxy of the threat of the tyranid swarms? Slain the foul Xenos that infest the stars? What great thing have you done? Do you give your bolter an award every time it fires properly? You would need a forge world to make all the accolades your bolter would need. Like the great traitor Horus, would you have the citizens of the Imperium sing you songs of praise?"

Proud: "I am nothing like the traitor Horus, fool. I am a great Ultramarine, the most steadfast sons of Guilliman, the emperor's most steadfast son!"

And it goes on and on...

This is actually very much like an argument another player and I had after a game. He was blood angels, and I was vanilla shooty marines, and he started talking about how big and bad we were because we tabled the other two on our third turn (dark eldar and Tau, not exactly the most fearsome duo, they had quite a bit of their stuff in reserve still). We bantered back and forth in character for a bit, and we are still friends and it was not big deal, but I thought about how this would have played out in the real 40K. There probably would be another fight.

Comment away!

My suggestion would be to combine several or all of the plot lines suggested or at least incorporate elements from them all. Maybe with an entity driving everything from behind the galactic curtain so to speak. Something manipulating Chaos and the Imperial forces for its own ends. This plot device could be used to link the suggestions put forth so far. As the manipulator maybe a demon that came into existence from the misery experienced by the Imperium when the Emperor was enthroned in the Golden Throne. The demons purpose would be to sow misery and suffering. Prior to the Campaign it could be building its power base sow seeds across the known galaxy, basically getting its paws in everyone's pies. Just an idea for linking everything together.

Madwolf

It’s a good ideal, :P but it sounds like Tzeentch to me, he is not called The Great Conspirator for nothing. I s’pose it could be Daemon prince of Tzeentch, someone like M’kachan.

@Omega Striker, Sounds interesting, a bit of healthy competition is not a bad thing, could add an extra spin to the story. The rivalry between the Dark Angles and the Space Wolves is quite well known but I don’t know if they would let an enemy live just to fight against each other?

@Omega

My guys dont have a heraldry yet but they are a very proud chapter with a belief system the opposite of yours. Basically they are taught to take pride in their duty to the Emperor and the Imperium and their armor tends to bear inscriptions of past deeds if you would like my guys can easily be the type of chapter you may want to have yours clash with.

EDIT: Oh and they are Ultramarine successors and very proud of that too

Madwolf

You were almost in my head until you said "As the manipulator maybe a demon".

My traitor group Extinction Agenda^ (name coined by an Inquisitor, the group's real name is unknown) serve the Shadow God, who is the essence of uncreation, oblivion and nothingness that existed before the Universe came into being, and still exists between the galaxies and beyond.

^ = It's an organization made up of many warbands, and it has many allies that also serve the cause, but don't wear the colours so to speak.

I was considering offering my EA plotline as the glue for the campaign.

Quick rundown of the plotline:

The Shadow God and his minions* seek the end of all creation, but in order to bring it about an unspecified number of major seals have to be broken. These seals are all big event type things, such as the release of the twelve Dark Gods** from the world of Nyx***, the cursing of half a dozen loyalist Chapters with the Extinction Curse****. There are also minor seals which when broken make the majors seals more easily broken, such as the assassination of a particular Governer, or the destruction of a particular ship which leaves the opening for whatever major event to occur.

* = Some of his worshippers want the oblivion this would bring about, others believe they will be able to take up residence in what should by then be a becalmed Warp (what with the Chaos Gods, demons etc needing the emotions of sentient life to exist).

** = Demon Gods created when the Shadow God mixed its essence with the Warp.

*** = Which happened when the Onyx Warlords went renegade.

**** = My Falcon Knights and Immortals were on that list.

And people wonder why my blog is all over the place... (ok I don't know if people wonder that at all, because people only seem to lurk my blog but whatever!!!!).

I'll add more of my own two cents in here in a little bit after I get through evaluating one of my trainees, but as a quick aside, why did the Iron Gauntlet die? Last I heard, we were all just waiting for the person running it to get his computer back up and running.

As for here, I concur that we can combine a lot of the scenarios, we jsut have to do it in a manner that makes it all work reasonably. I think a specific thing that could help out is if we mentioned that a relic were on a Shrine World or the like, where not just one chapter is tied to it, but a number of chapters that pledged allegiance to that specific item.

If it is not too late I would like to commit some of my chapter's, The Crimson Spears, forces! :D

It is not entirely finished, but I know enough of what will stay constant to give you all a good idea of what the chapter represents:

The Chapter was founded in late m.39. Its home planet is in segmentum pacificus and is an eldar maiden world. They have great amounts of experience fighting the eldar.

Their combat tactics revolve around fluidity, precision, and adaptability. They excel in changing combat situations and specialize in tactics and outthinking their enemies.

They have nine autonomous battle companies which can be configured based on the parameters of the battle. These companies include their own scouts and veterans, as well as armored support.

They believe that their duty is to protect and enlighten mankind. They would do everything in their power to save civilians and they abhor casualties.

They are viewed as honorable and fierce warriors and have good, working relationships with many other chapters. They are eager to commit their forces alongside their brothers to build relationships with other chapters and to benefit the imperium. In fact, many of their companies have been seconded to other chapters for many years, learning of new tactics and committing their formidable strategic ability to help their brother chapters (from what I have read, segmentum pacificus has little activity, so they often lend their strength to actions in segmentum obscurus)

Their color scheme is a dark red with white shoulder guards and backpack vents. Their chapter symbol is a red spear striking through a skull (vertically).

I would like to commit Aethon company to the fray!! (they do not have numbered designations for their companies, as they are all equal)

I would love to help in anyway possible!

why did the Iron Gauntlet die? Last I heard, we were all just waiting for the person running it to get his computer back up and running.

That someone being me :D Computers running again but after missing a month of the challenge and our successful challenger rate going from over thirty to, I think, about three in two months I didn't see much point in keeping it going. Its unfortunate but seems to be the way of things here of recent, thats why I want to get involved with this, to ensure it doesn't fail, like so many good ideas before it.

why did the Iron Gauntlet die? Last I heard, we were all just waiting for the person running it to get his computer back up and running.

That someone being me :cuss Computers running again but after missing a month of the challenge and our successful challenger rate going from over thirty to, I think, about three in two months I didn't see much point in keeping it going. Its unfortunate but seems to be the way of things here of recent, thats why I want to get involved with this, to ensure it doesn't fail, like so many good ideas before it.

Well, that's a shame. I was hoping to use the Gauntlet as a catalyst for developing the Stonebound properly.

On the other hand, that gives me more room to work on this and develop the Red Lords, should the need arise.

Guess it all balances out in the long run. ^_^

Well Ace you were one of the only successful challengers. Its a pitty that it did die really but I think that it just wasn't worth the effort with the so few challengers. If the same rate of failure continue for the next month we would have had one challenger, and that one wasn't me either. I stuffed up both months and so I am annoyed at myself for failing as much as I am annoyed at anyone else. But, such is life...

I dont think i'll put forward an idea for the campaign itself, but i'll be happy to read over suggestions. The idea of petrok and his relics seems to me as a great core storyline to work from. The idea of an initial campaign being disrupted and potentially falling into an inter astartes conflict due to differences/agendas would be an interesting sub plot. Could lead to rivalries and bonds being formed, factions within the crusade and the like. Betrayals and heroics in abundance.

Oh I had lots of fiendishly clever challenges... but, alas, tis not to be...

Still this is a good idea. I've actually started to mentally plan out a story for my new loyalists involving a false search for one of the relics. Of course the Iron Dragons feel left out that they wont get in on the action again, however I dont think the Campaign really suits them. Unless someone else comes up with an idea where they could play opposition but I'm not sure.

Or perhaps, in a devilishly clever twist I could have my Iron Dragons in the first section of the Campaign Pre-Heresy so to speak. perhaps right before their fall and so really defining them before Irirgram goes off the deep end resulting in their subsequent evilness.

Well it's all ticking over nicely... looks like some good suggestions - I agree trying to incorporate as much into one coherent campaign would be a great idea. Also I like the idea of relics, infact i'm imagining awesome conversions for a space bearing the skull... hmmm, I imagine a slightly less OTT Centurius...

Anyways, I suppose, given i'm 26th founding I'll be going for whichever chapter covers this.

~Gil ^_^

I'll admit I was a bit concerned about hunting relics, cause I don't see alot of chapters caring that much about them (mine included) but then I remembered that we'll get to do alot of Xeno killing (and purifying) and my Sons all for that ..,. so point us at them and let us go.

I'll admit I was a bit concerned about hunting relics, cause I don't see alot of chapters caring that much about them (mine included) but then I remembered that we'll get to do alot of Xeno killing (and purifying) and my Sons all for that ..,. so point us at them and let us go.

Just a quick idea, What if the relics are/were parts to an ancient weapon of mass destruction? We would have to stop it falling into Xeno/traitors hands or use it ourselves?

In the IA for my chapter, I was going to have a shouting match (maybe with guns!) between one of my captains and an Ultramarine (someone like Siccarius, who has a freakin boatload of it, he owns a land raider, for Emp's sake!) and argue about whether or not personal heraldry is a sign of pride and therefore demonic corruption.

quick point, never a great idea to bring named characters into your own IA, especially someone as renowed as sic. and definetly not a gun fight, you'd lose and then get excommunicated

~Gil :o

Just a quick idea, What if the relics are/were parts to an ancient weapon of mass destruction? We would have to stop it falling into Xeno/traitors hands or use it ourselves?

Now theres an idea that I find to be pretty damn cool. And if not parts to such a weapon they could be the keys to such a weapon. It would certainly be something that would stir up trouble within the galaxy though when it comes to stuff like that the Adeptus Mechanicus may have a thing or two to say about the handling of the situation

@Banelord: Really like that idea, then even the more secular chapters (mine included) will have a reason to really care about the relics.

I shall continue my evil story plan (or discuss other ideas I had associated with it), and then I'll look through everyones stories and see where we can mearge them together.

• The relics were actually stolen either by the Eldar or their theft was orchestrated by the Eldar (getting the Orks to attack here etc).
  • This was because they knew the Imperium was going to relocate them all back to the Petrok's world which would lead to terrible events.
  • Unfortunately, the Imperium gets them back and does it anyway.
  • Petrok was actually a Chaos worshipper all along, and his crusade was just a sacrafice to the blood good. His return to his planet causes tremendous upheavel in the warp, beckoning all those that follow the Dark Gods to his cause (hence why the rebellions).

Why a particularlly secular chapter chases after relics? Well, it could be a purely landmass thing to them. Destroyed an Ork warhost is a good thing no matter the reason you do it. Defending Imperial planets etc.

Archived