Just played my 46th draigo wing game

nurglez

Day 1 results I finished on one of the 30 top tables with a big win to close out day 1. Nowhere near my BA last year though but I do like this army better. In close combat versus orks, dark eldar and another Grey Knight army I handled them all well including Ghaz - the green messiah scored no wounds versus my army.

G :P

Sure when it's all over expect to see some. The game versus webway dark eldar I took down one Talos (forced weaponed with a halberd) and broke a squad of 15 Wyches launched by the opponent in one turn. I'm starting to consider if a NDK would be a good replacement for the Crusader. Both a game versus dark eldar and one ork army the Crusader was immobilized on a natural glancing 6 and both times I failed my 3++ cover save... It was annoying.

G :P

Dk provides wound saturation. But can also be hurt by more weapons then a landraider can. I went for a dk cos I like how they look and suit a pally army due to their ws5. Though their lack of grenades is annoying, they can actually sweeping advance...

The guys I play with tend to be much more afraid of a LR filled with Paladins rather than a DK of any flavor, but its the DKs fault for failing so miserably on the multiple times I've used him, both in infantry combat and attacking vehicles. The only thing he has done that is worthwhile is using the heavy incinerator. For 260pts, I find myself rather taking a LR.

Aye some games my DK doesn't do too much, but other games due to his speed he has a huge threat range, and sometimes has a nack for saving lascannon and meltagun shots, and is also good at tar pitting some units in close combat.

I shall try out a list with a lone crusader in it one day, but I do love draigo walking along with 10 paladins... maybe I'll try it at 2000 points or above...

I just did a quick count and realized my army only gave up five killpoints over the course of seven games at WarGamesCon.

You, sir, are officially a bamf.

The major problem I had was taking enough objectives. I always focused on killing enemy scoring units in missions with objectives for the primary but it was still hard sometimes - orks (gazillion scoring units) and mech dark eldar (easily outranged my current list). I think I'm going to drop the LRC for two psyflemen... That should take care of mech dark eldar. ;)

Right, got a question. I'm aiming to make a 1750 list, and I'm having troubles.

My usual 1500, draigo 15 paladins 6 psycannons 3 mc weps 1 falchions, 1 dreadknight with heavy incinerator, great sword and personal teleporter.

I was going to add a 200-215 point libby, then spread the spare points around the paladin squads, but then I had a thought, I could drop the personal teleporter from the dread knight, and add a dread knight with H incinerator and a psyrifle dread instead of the libby. Now I don't enjoy playing without some sort of pyschic defence, be it hood or runic weapon, played too long as chaos like that and it was damn annoying. And a libby adds might which lets me take on vehicles so much better in combat, as well as shrouding and sanctuary (those are my most often used abilities, along with hammerhand ofc).

Which would you take?

I agree with you. I only leave the Librarian at home for two reasons: either because I'm about to go up against Eldar or Witchhunters, or I'm sick of the Librarian and want to take my insane Reclusiarch out for a joy ride. If I mean srs business, the Libby is in the list.

Keep in mind this is in the context of marines.

Sanctuary is money; I'm not a fan of the new version of Shrouding, but it's fine. Psi-riflemen will probably do you proud but they're not as classy as a 24"-or-bust list, in my humble opinion. They're too mainstream. (Yes, that is an honest point against them for me.) Two slogging Dreadknights might work due to Lancaster's Square Law. B) Worst-case they are some beefy back-field support. What are your feelings on Purgation Squads? An assassin? A Cullexus is no replacement for a psychic hood but might be fun.

Those are my options heh, Not happy with assassin's, and keeping it terminator armour or bust :rolleyes:

Shrouding can be useful, turning a 4+ into a 3+ is nice, and lets you go to ground for a 2+ cover save. Of course the problem with a libby is that vs armies with psychic defence he will be operating at reduced effect.

I dont really want to give up the personal teleporter, as the huge range of movement/contesting threat is brilliant. imagine a game with objectives, and I choose to outflank the dread knight, and try and keep him away, 5th turn I can jump him on 30inches from a table edge, or I can make him scoring and keep him in normal reserve, it also gives him a huge range on the incinerator, which is very useful vs horde lists or weak units that have a good cover save.

I shall have to try a few games out, though I reckon I will aim to use the libby, as a psychic hood and his buffs are very nice, along with the fact I dislike foot slogging dread knights...

Hmmm, that is a valid point, though I sold the great sword to a friend of mine so my second DK only has a heavy incinerator, but I could make him teleporting... damn, Now I have more to think about!

I've been lurking for just about forever, and I've followed this topic really closely -- I too have been interested in a Paladin army. I broke down and ordered the models, and here's what I've been running:

275 – Lord Kaldor Draigo

170 - Librarian; Shrouding, Might of Titan, Sanctuary, Servo Skull

120 - Techmarine; Rad Grenades, Blind Grenades, Psychotroke Grenades

145 - Vindicare

760 – 10x Paladins; 4x Psycannons, 1x Hammer, 3x Swords, 4x Halberds, Apothecary, Banner, Staff, 2 MC Weapons

55 - Paladin

55 - Paladin

135 – Dreadnought, 2x TL Autocannons, Psybolt Ammunition

135 – Dreadnought, 2x TL Autocannons, Psybolt Ammunition

It's a bit different from what you guys have played, in that it focuses on one gigantic Deathstar -- the Paladin blob, the Librarian, Draigo, and the Techmarine all buddy up to create a 1300 point blender of death. It's cool in the fact that I can reliably expect to kill anything and everything in the game, but it's also a bit limited. The vast majority of my army can only effect a 24" bubble on the table, and can really hurt more than one or two units a turn. I had a bad game against Eldar last night, and while I did manage to mulch his Seer Council+Eldrad+Yriel, it was easy for him to isolate and kill my firesupport/scoring Paladins (I don't like the rogue scoring Paladins, but don't have many options for capturing objectives since my list is so limited already).

I guess I'm just wondering if you guys think having more flexible Paladin squads makes the army work better. For instance, I could drop some of my characters and get two big Paladin units that combat squad -- while they won't have anywhere near the same power in combat and are more vulnerable to those S8+/low AP shots, they're much more threatening at range and give me way more board presence than one giant mess of Terminators (though it's really cool).

And of course, thanks for all the help/discussion you guys have provided here too. I've found it all very useful.

But I find I usually have trouble with scoring games anyway. more then 3 objectives is annoying for me, I just have to focus on killing their scoring units, and protecting the 1 or 2 objectives I can get to.

I was considering the very small paladin squads just to score, cheapest scoring unit we can get (without cortez), and while they are missile/lascannon fodder, if you keep them hidden or deepstrike them in late in objective games, they could be useful...

At 1500 I use draigo, 10 paladins, 5 paladins and a DK. I sometimes combat squad the 10 man, but the 2 games I've lost have been when I've combat squaded, coincidence?

The deathstar can only kill a couple of units a turn at best. You will have major problems in objective based missions.

As some have said, you can stretch six to ten 40mm bases out pretty far (depending on how many are left alive after turn five) to contest stuff, and the DK's shunt can be helpful as well. To win an objective mission you only need to control one and contest anything else your opponent still has scoring units near. I'm not saying it's easy, but it's certainly not impossible.

What?! If the strength is double the toughness they still get their armour save if the AP is not low enough to ignore it :)

Meh we played it so that if double the toughness u got no armour save... (eg str 10 AP- against T 5 But had a 3+ save =no save)

Hmm I REALLY need to :lol:

Bah I blame our ultra-smurf player, he is sneaky :D

Archived