Just played my 46th draigo wing game

nurglez

Well done, DT :)

Also wanted to say that I think its really cool that you play the army that you create art for ;)

Well, I actually make a lot of art I don't post here/other 40k forums, simply because it isn't 40k related :) but I am partial to some 40k art as well, maybe one of these days I can get some work for Fantasy Flight or GW.

I'm bringing my draigowing to WarGamesCon this week.

w00t !!!

G :P

Take pictures and notes! I'm excited to see bat reps from this, if you're into it. ;)

Well, I actually make a lot of art I don't post here/other 40k forums, simply because it isn't 40k related ;) but I am partial to some 40k art as well, maybe one of these days I can get some work for Fantasy Flight or GW.

Well sure, that's to be expected. It just makes me happy when an artist is an actual fan of an IP that they create art for instead of just doing it for the money. :)

Good luck Black Orange! Take some pics of your matches and be sure to let us know how Draigo and friends performed :P

yeah good luck black orange/black blow fly/whatever you call yourself :)

I'd love to take my draigo wing to a tourny, step 1 is getting it painted, step 2 is finding a suitable tourny heh.

I am planning to have some batreps up on my blog. Here is my army list I'm bringing...

Draigos

Librarian - Nemesis warding stave, Might of Titans, Quicksilver, Sanctuary, Shrouding, Warp Rift

10x Paladin - 4x psycannon, 2x Nemesis daemonhammer, 2x Nemesis falchions, master crafted Nemesis falchions, Nemesis warding stave, halberds; psybolt ammo

10x GKT - Thawn, 2x psycannon, 2x Nemesis daemonhammer, 6x Nemesis halberd, Nemesis warding stave; psybolt ammo

Landraider Crusader - pysbolt ammo

:)

G :P

That Librarian is kind of pricey, but I'm into the idea of him Quickening a very angry falchion-wielding squad...in theme at least. Have you tried this list yet? I'd do so in more than a few practice matches.

I'd honestly drop the LRC. As your only vehicle, it will soak all of your opponent's anti-vehicle fire and go down very early, 5+ cover save or no. I'd swap from it and GKT over to Paladins (despite the loss in bodies) and drop a Libby power or two in exchange for servo skulls and a discount. He can use two powers per turn. Sanctuary and Quicksilver make for a mean combination, and I'd throw Summoning on there perhaps to help with mobility. Otherwise you'll DS to get mid-table fast and slog in to contest/kill, or so the theory goes. Maybe throw a DK or something else in there; a pair of Dreads?

Hard to say until you try it out. :o Let us know how it goes.

I have tested the list a bit and surprisingly it has done better than I thought. It is too late to make any changes now. The LRC has a role in tournies such as WGC that have multiple objectives. I will eventually switch it out for an NDK though. :D

G :o

Just had a 2000 point kill point game. Played vs iron warrior Logan wing count as. My usual list vs Logan, rune priest, wolf priest, 3 squads of 5 Termies including arjac, a vindicator, and land raider crusader and a redeemer. I won 7 kill points to 2 as he conceded in his 4th turn. With a weaponless immobile crusader and arjac and 1 termie left. I'll add pictures later :)

Dude, you are slaughtering people. Do you actually just trudge in and pound on them? Or are you using some sort of maneuvering/shenanigans? Are they really that durable? Did you waste the Vindicator before it could shoot you?

Detailed battle reports, please!! I'm still waiting on three more boxes of GKT.

Chill Thade my dear, I just couldn't be bothered to write and upload a battle report and pictures from my phone, as I was on my way home :P

Sorry for the slightly blurry pictures, but its better then nothing, also this battle has unpainted models and a few cases of count as, you have been warned...

I am home now, and so I shall begin the full story...

My opponent wanted to try out a terminator only army, so went for logan wing, similar to how I did before getting draigo and friends.

His army

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/Loganwing.jpg

I goofed and forgot to take a picture of my whole army, but here is a shot of my army minus reserves

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/myarmy.jpg

Kill points, spear head, 2000 points, he won the roll and made me go first, so I deployed draigo, libby and 10 pallies all together (we got deathstars!), and the non PT DK and the psyrifle dread, reserving the PT/greatsword DK and deepstriking the 5 man paladin squad. I deployed 1 servo skull near me (in case I needed to summon anything backwards) and one on the far right (behind a building to the far right of the board), I rolled a 1 for grand strategy and gave my big paladin squad hammer of the righteous.

He deployed logan, the rune priest and Arjac's squad in the crusader (black weaponless landraider) and put the wolf priest and another squad in the redeemer (plastic landraider), he also hid the vindicator behind his crusader and also the 5man squad with cyclone launcher in cover near the crusader.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/setup.jpg

He didn't try and steal the initiative so I went first for a change!

Turn 1

I advance my paladin squad a bit, and also shuffle my DK and dread around a bit. 4 psycannon's later the crusader is a smoking wreck and he isn't happy. His turn he moves the wolf priest forward and charges out, shooting then charging the DK, at the end of the combat the DK is on 1 wound and had killed 1 terminator, but stuck around, his vindicator shot but scattered badly, catching 1 guy and causing a wound on draigo. 1kp to me.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/endturn1.jpg

Turn 2

I try for psychic communion and get shut down by the rune priest, but both of my reserves come in on 6s..... my dk moves on 12 to threaten the landraider and then runs when I realise im out of assault range, while the 5 pallies deepstrike on the far right to threaten his damn vindicator. I roll terrible and dont even scratch the vindicator...DOH, the 10 man paladin squad wipe out the wolf priest and his squad, but not before they take out the DK. His vindicator shoots at the clustered 5 man squad and misses again, phew! draigo's squad takes a few wounds and gets murderous hurricaned, he is about to charge until I pop sanctuary which his rune priest doesn't dispel, so he doesn't charge me... hehe. 3kp to me 1kp to him.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/endturn2.jpg

(I took this picture after I shot my 5 man paladin squad at his vindicator and blew it up...)

Turn 3

Effected by murderous hurricane, I decide not to move, and shoot at logan's squad, taking out 2 dual wolf claw terminators and putting a wound on Arjac, My 5 man paladin squad takes out the vindicator and my DK charges the redeemer, taking off both flame storm cannons. Logan, the rune priest and Arjac's squad charge, along with the 5 foot slogging terminators. He dispells all my hammerhands (boo) and wins the combat (killing the Libby but I killed a few termeis from different squads)but I stick around. 4kp to me, 2 to him.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/endturn3.jpg

Turn 4

My 5 man paladin squad targets his redeemer and imobolises it. I charge the DK in, and cast hammerhand on the DK, draigo and on the paladins WOO

A swift round of hitting later, logan, the rune priest and the 5man footslogging squad are dead, while Arjac and 1 wolf claw terminator remain, they run away from the combat and I cant sweeping advance, while the DK manages to penetrate once, and rips off the last weapon. He cant regroup Arjac and his friend, and decides to concede as he will get tabled most likely and we were hungry :) 7kp to me, 2 to him.

http://i31.photobucket.com/albums/c397/nurglez/endturn4gameover.jpg

Draigo was reduced to 1 wound and I had lost a DK, a libby and about 4paladins from the 10man group. My opponent totally under estimated my psycannons being able to pop his Landraiders. It was very interesting to fight vs an army with active psychic defence, It was his first game with logan wing, and I've played around 32 games with it, so I know its pro's and cons, and in a straight up fight, paladins win for sure.

He has taken some of the suggestions I've made on board, and he will be trying out drop pods instead of landraiders next game we play, which will be interesting as I have never played vs drop pods, and have a healthy respect for the damage an alpha strike combi melta's and Arjac's hammer can cause...

Heh, not surprised that Draigowing gets another victory. Look at nurglez' record with it and Deathguard!

Congrats on the win, and thanks for the batrep, amigo :huh:

Effected by murderous hurricane, I decide not to move, and shoot at logan's squad

IIRC, doesn't murderous hurricane only affect things in the air, like jump infantry and skimmers?

no your thinking of, er, tempest wrath, murderous hurricane effects a squad so if they move, they count as moving through difficult and dangerous terrain. While I have frag grenades, I decided to just wait it out, sure that my opponent would choose to charge instead ;)

Lucky for me I survived the combat, otherwise draigo and paladins might have been walked off the board...

Also, Hammer of the righteous + str 6 from hammerhands/might of titans is awesome vs MEQ's, I wound you on a 2, and I reroll 1s hehe

Not trying to toot my own horn, but out of my friends/opponents, I'm like the totally in love with playing 40k guy, I read tactics, look at army lists, spend quite a bit of time on forums and the like and really enjoy small elite armies, I know how to play them to their strengths.

But I also only have a small number of opponents/armies to play against, as my 6ish people group plays imperial guard, chaos/daemons/starting logan wing, orks, skavenids and blood angels (with me having like 4-5k of chaos, 2.5-3k of renegade logan wing and 2.3k of draigo wing). I have only played vs elder once, about 5 years ago or so, and have never played vs dark elder, necrons, numerous space marine codices and the new grey knights, so my experience vs them is lacking sorely, and a main reason I aim to go to a tourny (my first ever) as soon as I can (once my army is painted...).

Bah ninjad cos I took so long to write :D

I certainly feel better. :huh: TY Nurglez.

How did the first DK go down? Shooting? What they'd shoot him with? Did they charge him?

The first DK got charged by the wolf priest and his squad, who had preferred enemy MC (my friend forgot to specify before we started but he was learning about logan wing so I let him off). I forgot about the nice long charge range terminators have from a moving landraider heh. though in turn 2 my paladin's counter charged and wiped out the squad, while the DK and wolf priest took each other out in mutual annihilation heh.

My DK's were a bit lack lustre in that last game, the psyrifle dread did nothing all game and then imobolised the landraider in the 4th turn (it was the dread not the psycannons from the 5man squad, bad memory heh).

Aye I can imagine that Elder are annoying with psychic tests, Tyranids can be very annoying due to shadow in the warp, and the rune priest was rather annoying with the whole 4+ to dispel, but it is useful to understand that you cant always get what you want, er, that you cant always cast psychic powers when you want even :)

Preferred Enemy can be focused on entire armies :) not model types. So it need not be declared, as you can safely assume his preferred enemy is you (GK) unless it says something specific.

Yesterday's results from WarGamesCon team tourney:

Grey Knights & Space Wolves

1st round vs. IG & SW - Win

2nd round vs. Dark Eldar & Eldar - Loss

3rd round vs. DW & Tau - Draw

The final round was Capture & Control for the primary win condition - I used the GS and rolled a 6... So I chose outflank picking two squads of GKT with the Libby attached to one unit. Both squads manage to come in on the wrong side! All they had guarding their objective was a squad of Kroot... Pretty funny. I kept dropping the orbital strike on the Kroot but only managed to kill one over the course of the game. Oh well.

Oh and I forgot to use my psykotroke and rad grenades in the second game... Would have helped a lot versus the Wraithlord and Talos. :whistling:

G :(

Anybody remember the controversy caused by that Wayland Games Newsletter a while back...the one that said Grey Knights are rubbish compared to Deathwing??

Feel free to check out the Grey Knights of Titan blog where you can see 1750 points of Draigowing face up to the Mighty 'Optimised' Grey Knight Killing list mentioned in that post!!

The way wolf priests work is you choose a unit type. And they have preferred enemy against it. So you are supposed to choose before the fame starts...

ah I see.

Anybody remember the controversy caused by that Wayland Games Newsletter a while back...the one that said Grey Knights are rubbish compared to Deathwing??

Feel free to check out the Grey Knights of Titan blog where you can see 1750 points of Draigowing face up to the Mighty 'Optimised' Grey Knight Killing list mentioned in that post!!

Yet more evidence that cyclone plus thunder hammers are the only worthwhile option on Deathwing now, and Ezekiel is not a option worth taking (although still better than a Dark Angel librarian).

Archived