Just played my 46th draigo wing game

nurglez

Well, after messing around with my list to try and make it 1500, I guess first of all I'll try and go with my usual build, but just footslogging. One LR is going to attract way too much fire, need at least 2.

So, Draigo and a Lib + 15 paladins I guess. Won't be getting around very fast...

Edit: Might just take something similar to my older list... Draigo, Lib, 10 paladins, strike squad with psycannon in razorback, and a ven psyrifle dread. The strike squad is basically just for sitting on an objective, and they do a pretty decent job of that.

Or Draigo, Lib, 10x Paladin 4MCPsy Psybolts, 5x Strike Psy razorback, LRR(breaking my own rule, but its mostly just to rush the Paladins forward to get shots right away after popping them out).

I just had to register B&C here because of this topic. Found this by accident and I think it's pure geniousness, thank you very much. I was very sceptic because of this Draigowing, but not anymore. I tried to combine it with water-warrior-list (I'm used to playing tzeentch with defilers, termies and Landraiders) and here's the outcome:

1500points of Pure awesomeness:

Draigo

10x paladins, 4x psycannons, some mc stuff

5 Gkss

Land Raider

Strom raven + hurricane bolter

Opponent played Ultramarines and he had something like:

Land Raider redeemer inc. 6 termies with storm shields and hammers, libby, Pedro Cantor

Squad of veterans, all had plasma or melta (troops because of Cantor)

5 Squad+Rhino

5 Squad+Rhino

He's very aggressive and experienced player. We play weekly and our games are highly competitive no matter what the lists are. We have this habit that winner is not allowed to modify list. That's how we'll try to find perfect list for anything.

Capture and control+ Spearhead

I combatsquaded pallies, put GKSS to LR and Draigo+Boys to SR. Opponent was confused, I shot his LRR with Stormraven and then removed two squads from objective with all her firepower. LR shot the rhinos. Draigo and the boys took care of the rest. It was amazing how UVeterans shot one round of rapid plasma and Melta and still four paladins (out of five!!!) stood to assault the termies. This is just something you have to try yourself:)

For an unprepared opponent this was total annihilation, since I had 2/2 objectives. I lost only one team of pallies. He lost three Rhinos, two squads and one LandRaider. I saw that biggest plus with this list was that my opponent had no clue what he should do next, because everything is so dangerous. He just build walls of rhinos and tried to hold objective in vain. He tired to contest but I blocked his way with LR. Let's see what he comes up next time. Some lasbacks I think.

Thank you also for all the statistics. I'll be watching this thread very closely.

Hey guys finally got my paladin tactic post up on the Titan blog so feel free to check it out...Great to see so many Draigowing players out there it's 1 of the most under-rated armies until some1 is on the receiving end of it!

Glad this thread helps people :yuck:

Its been said before, but against an all comers army, most of them will not pack enough high str/low ap weapons to threaten the pallies, and the main things that do, like demolisher cannons, have the same range as our psycannons. so they often get 1 shot off, then die (in my experience anyways).

If someone tailors a list, then I'm sure it will win, but thats the point of tailoring a list <_<

Oh, and Mordrak, I disagree with some of your points. The vast majority of games I've played have been at the 1500 mark, and I dont take a apothecary or banner in my squads (though I probably should in the 10man). 15 paladins, draigo and a teleporting dreadknight seem more then enough when playing vs my friends, although we each have different opponents in our areas.

I feel that the DK is really needed in most of my games, due to the potential threat of it moving so fast, and the fact its a monstrous creature, my opponent's prioritise it as a threat and it lets my pallies survive longer, even if it does die, its the cheapest unit in my army (out of 4 heh).

I do agree that combat squading generally isn't a good idea, but situations vary of course.

Mordrak, thanks for sharing your post; it was a good read.

I'm torn between the Nurglez school of thought (DK, Pallies) and the Mordrak school (so many paladins it's ridiculous)...and so I might try both. If only for the variety of painting things and the fun of the model (both building and fielding), I want a DK. However, I can definitely see merit in eight psycannons.

Just wondering if anyone has tried this but at 2k points you could have 15 palies draigo a librarian and 3 deepstriking dreadknights with super incinerators. Has anyone tried deepstriking cheap dreadknights in, (160) points each. My thought is that they might absorb a lot of firepower coming in late in the game to help take objectives or to contest. One thing i have found is when there is multiple objectives we don't have enough units to split up. Deepstriking dreadknights might be a solution to this. Has anyone had direct experience with this. Personaly i prefer the teleporting dreadknight but i was wondering if deepstriking ones can be effective.

I basically copied Zagman, so if its anyones school of thought its his :)

I've deepstruck a Dk a few times, and at 2000 points I use 2, one with a teleporter and one without. the main problem is that teleporter homers dont work for them (its written what it works for and a Dk isn't on the list...) and that their base is so damn big that with a bad scatter they will suffer a mishaps. Servo skulls help, but if you get unlucky and they get knocked out before your dk's deep strike in, it might be risky (obviously depending on terrain and the like).

However, I do love heavy incinerators, and both my DK's have them. pure gold vs hordes, and still high enough strength to wound marines on 2s, and threaten light vehicles.

Do you guys think its worth getting psybolts for the squad, it only helps the 6 stormbolters? Wouldn't the points be better spent MC things and having better wounds allocation? Just my thoughts. :)

I have had 3 games now with GK. First but against the old Ork Codex (he had lots of looted plasma) which hurt but he conceded by turn 4. It was 2000 points and I took a mixture of things with two objectives of Capture & Control and spearhead.

The next two games were against a different opponent and both 4000k aside.

His first game was Necrons against a Draigo Wing (2 x ten Pallies) / Pure Crowe ( 2 x Purefifiers) / DK / SR / 2 x 6 men Purgations with Las Razors. All my squads had max Psycannons. It was spearhead using annihillation kill points and I took maximum size squads. He conceded by Turn 5 as I was winning 12 kills to 1 Kill. I lost a Purgation squad who failed a shooting morale check and were very close to the board edge. I think I lost about another 4 models on top of that. He is an experienced player but could not literally stand back up to the shooting GK can kick out.

Next game against an Eldar list 4000k again which was much harder for me. I took Draigo / libby / 3 x 10 Pallies / Vindicare / SR / DK / 1 x 10 Purefiers and a Rhino. He had Autarch / Karandras/ Fuegan / Spread Around the 3 x Fire Dragons (melta guns) with Wave Seprpents / 1 x 10 man wraithguard with Warlock / 2 Rangers / 2 x Dire Avengers with Wave Serpents / swooping Hawks with Baharroth? / 2 x Dark Reapers one with Maugan Ra / War walker Squadron / 2 vehicle Viper Squadron. Game was Seize Ground using Spearhead. Eldar had First Turn.

Well this was different and very very bloody. I combat squaded one pally unit and used Grand Strategy to make purefirers a troop choice giving me 5 troops to control 4 objectives, he had the same number of troops. Use Servo Skulls to restrict his ranger deployment.

Turn 1 Eldar re-postioned and shot up my DK down to one wound and the rangers took a wound off a Draigo and a pally. In mine a Paladin combat squad sat on an objective (basically all game), I re-postioned to start capturing objectives. Draigo and a Pally squad headed to one objective eliminating a Ranger Squad, DK shunt to shot up a Ranger squad, Libby 10 man Paladins, Purefiers 5 man Paladins move to the central objective. Libby basically cast Shrouding every turn which saved models (I had other powers but did not have the chance to use them)

Turn 2 Lost the DK, Lost the Rhino, Lost the SR, Draigo Squad got shot up by Fire Dragons lost a couple of guys. My squads eliminated two fire dragon squads and a wave serpent by shooting and assault, wasted a Dark Repear Squad to one model, Shot up a dire Avenger Squad and the Wraithguard.

Turn 3 Eldar did more shooting to little effect but lost the Assassin, charged his WraithGuard into a five man paladin Squad in Cover and War Walkers into the other in Cover on an objective. Well he lost the wraithguard / one war walker/ Firedragons and a five man Dark Reaper Squad. I captured two more objectives, a ten man Paladin Squad down to two figures.

Turn 4 + 5 Most Eldar shooting concentrated on libby Squad lost 3 models and took some more wounds. He lost a dire Avenger unit, mauled another immobilised, shook and stunned Viper squadron / lost the war walkers.

I managed to pen his men down to a diminshing area of board by the Paladins shooting / assault / plodding around the board. I took a lot of shots from the Eldar in the first two turns but by third he could not match my firepower. I controlled 3 objectives to his zero ( pushed his only troop choice left away from the objective by firepower. Draigos 3++ and having a Paladin in each ten man Squad with a warding Stave and the Libby helped take a lot of the Ap1 instant death pressure off me. Also very important to hop from cover to cover while you can. Draigo also hopped between squads / combats when he could. I6 hammerhand Halberds invaluable against Eldar.

Next Game on Weds against Eldar but at 2000 points, that might be a challenge

Thanks thade glad you enjoyed the read...

Hey Nurglez my post was primarily talking about running a pure Draigowing army without any other type of unit...a deathwing version of the grey knights if u will...

Not liking the rumors I am hearing about 6th edition and wound allocation for Draigowing...

Good games tho Staxer, just remember the warding stave is melee only... I'm surprised you got any spells off at all with runes of warding on the eldar, I literally perils myself every damn time.

Not liking the rumors I am hearing about 6th edition and wound allocation for Draigowing...

Good games tho Staxer, just remember the warding stave is melee only... I'm surprised you got any spells off at all with runes of warding on the eldar, I literally perils myself every damn time.

Warding Stave ... doh ... I have sent off an apology. Eldar only took a Warlock who does not seem to have these Runes of Warding. Well I think the next game will be even more interesting, have to think if I really want the Librarian.

Warding Stave ... doh ... I have sent off an apology. Eldar only took a Warlock who does not seem to have these Runes of Warding. Well I think the next game will be even more interesting, have to think if I really want the Librarian.

i have been thinking about how this army would fare against specific armies and i came up with dark eldar. my main thought was the amount of dark lances that they have at 2000 pts.

some armies i have faced have over 25 dark lances at that points level. assuming your army is made only of paladins and dreadknights (so wounding on 2s and a 5+ invun), then 25 lances will cause just over 9 wounds, and that is ID to pallies. that is killing 2 dreadknights, or practically annihilating a squad, even i fit does have draigo and his SS. on to pof that they will have a large amount of power weapons at a high I, which could decimate your smaller squads. finally, they have all of their other shooting, which will usually be wounding on a 4+, so will cause a fair amount of wounds even on your dreadnights, and even they will eventually fail some saves.

so what do you think? how would you go about taking on such an army.

I think a Dark Lance spamming DE would probably be the most difficult army for a heavy paladin army to face. Would need a lot of cover and LOS denial to win. At least you could shoot some of them down with a psyrifle dread, or multiple dreads, before they were close enough to start zapping your paladins.

or to reserve and deepstrike in, engaging them at close range...

It all depends on how the dark lance's are organised. if its 1 dark lance from a squad, then 1 from a raider, then 1 from another raider, you can just assign them to draigo. At 2000 points I'm not leaving home without a libby, thus giving shrouding and cover certain squads (or the whole army depending on how you deploy) will have a 3+ cover save...

As I've never played against dark eldar, I have no idea how I would play vs this type of army, would depend on the terrain, the mission and how they deploy etc.

aye, a flurry of str 8 low ap weapons all at once (from one squad) is what I fear, like a chosen squad with 5 melta guns, or a sternguard squad with 10 combi melta's, that is the way to beat draigo wing ;)

Got a 2k game in today and managed to sneak out a win vs Grey Knights. He had two libbies, two dreadknights with swords, and 5x Strike Squads with two psycannons each and psybolts. I had my 2k list (Draigo, 17 Palaidns, dreadknight with sword, teleporter, and incenerator, and a libby with five powers, teleport homer, and a stave) I've been fortunate enough in both games I've used this list to play kill-points. The game was a simple shooting fest, with me teleporting my dreadknight over to sacrifice itself for the team. He failed his force weapon roll and so it took three player turns and two of his five squads to kill it. I kept draigo and the ten man squad in reserve, which in hindsight might have been dumb as his whole force was warp quaking. After severl turns of shooting, where I killed on of the deepstriking dreadknights my give unit FINALY came on automaticly on turn 5. When they did, their fire annihilated his closest squad and the smaller libby squad finished it off to win 2-1 on kill points. In hindsight it looks like a rather boring game as I kinda ran away the whole game trying not to get into combat with his guys as I had more to loose than he did. It worked and when the final Paladin squad came in, the firepower put up a brick wall. Of course, the game ended after turn five so that helped...

Just need one more box of termies to make this fully work...

The beauty of draigo wing, kill point games, I am yet to lose a kill point game yet, as long as you pick your targets heh. Guess the main worry would be armies that have a much longer range and speed, like a dark eldar army for example.

I appreciate the stream of battle reps and commentary...but they all seem centered on kill-points missions. Can you all start playing some objective missions and tell us how those go? :whistling:

Hey Thade, some of the battle reports I've done were non kill point games.

Considering how well I do at kill points. When we roll that result I now give my opponent the option to Reroll it heh. The game I lost vs daemons was a 4 objective game...

Best advice I can give is to try and put down multiple objectives as close to each other as possible. I often combat squad. However a 11 man pallie squad can be a nice huge threat. Just head for the biggest concentration of enemy troops and objectives and maybe use grand strategy to make other units scoring.

...some of the battle reports I've done were non kill point games.

Truly? Not sure how I missed them; I will dig through this thread again.

Considering how well I do at kill points. When we roll that result I now give my opponent the option to Reroll it heh.

This is encouraging. I have my first box of GK Terminators and Draigo (pewter, thankfully) on the bench right now. Three more boxes in the mail...

Best advice I can give is to try and put down multiple objectives as close to each other as possible. I often combat squad. However a 11 man pallie squad can be a nice huge threat. Just head for the biggest concentration of enemy troops and objectives and maybe use grand strategy to make other units scoring.

Honestly I fear combat squadding with this list, but will probably do it a few times to learn it; it will have its uses I'm sure. I see Grand Strategy and Draigo's EW/3++ helping me out too.

Archived