Phoenix Knights - Expeditionary Force (1st & 2nd Cie)

One-eye

Many thanks for the comments !

The second one received a base :

gallery_61390_6100_8355.jpg gallery_61390_6100_16503.jpg

Only 3 to go to finish the squad !

gallery_61390_6100_66351.jpg

I hope I'll be able to keep that pace (and finish Oberon, & complete the chaplain challenge^^)

Love the posing on the experienced one. Looks like he is using hand singles to order his combat squad to hold poistion. Although I am assuming he is the guy leading the second combat squad. I wondered when the FW bolters would make an appearance :)

• 2 weeks later...

Many thanks for the comments !

@ Marius : he is actually telling the squad to hold position (I mean it was the desired effect^^). But he's not the combat squad leader, it's the unhelmeted one.

@ Lamenter : been away from home for 2 weeks, there's no updates unfortunately sad.png. And my priority is now the chaplain kitbash, to be on time with Grotsmasha deadline.

I began today with selecting legs from the death cie (I really like them and I feel that the parchment loin cloth is mandatory for chaplains). I picked a templar incesory, trimed the drop gem & put the purity seal in its place. 1st stage completed ^^

gallery_61390_6100_8832.jpg gallery_61390_6100_35476.jpg

Sorry for the bad pictures, but it's not that important for conversions.

Stay tuned biggrin.png

Thanks war Angel. Are you speaking of the marine with the "hold on hand" ? His shoulder pad is from anvil industry. They look like the company champ shoulder, but smaller.

A bit more work on the chaplain. After a long hesitation, I chose one of the Raven guard vet torso : chapter symbol + bird skull will make it for a Phoenix Knight chaplain.

I cut a skull shoulder pad from an old (late 90's) metal chaos termie. Old figures are smaller and it seems it won't be oversized. I also cut the PF from the commander sprue to fit with the skull shoulder. What a Crozius doesn't manage to crush will fall under the powerfist might !

And the right arm of the DV chaplain is finally selected.

gallery_61390_6100_76114.jpg

I filled the gap between PF and shoulder with a skull trophy ; a bit of greenstuff to attach it to the shoulder, a purity seal and it's ok smile.png

gallery_61390_6100_53471.jpg gallery_61390_6100_38664.jpg

Beautiful thread, One-eye. Your models are gorgeous. One of the best DIY chapters I've ever seen. I love the chapter banner and command squad, and I can't wait to see Oberon once he's finished!

@ War Angel : indeed ! that's the main reason why I'm not painting Captain Oberon ! wink.png

@ Vourne & ChicoDaSatanic : thanks guys, it's men like you that keep me motivated smile.png

@ Anaziel : I will go for a skull helmet. I feel they are too emblematic of chaplains to keep them aside. I have 2 possibilities, will show you soon.

@ Deathwing70 : you nailed it. it's exactly what I'm looking for !

A few updates. The DV chaplain shoulder pad has also a skull in it, which makes competition with the one on the other side. And it's too small btw. So I kept only the hand & found a new arm + shoulder (with chapter symbol).

gallery_61390_6100_5679.jpg

For the Crozius head, I'm hesitating between a classic one (eagle) or a DW knight mace. I'm leaning towards the mace, looks more like a weapon & is more original. But the eagle shouts "bow to the Emperor or kiss my fist" biggrin.png

gallery_61390_6100_12344.jpg gallery_61390_6100_48698.jpg

What do you guys prefer ??

I'm gonna go with the Crozius... ehm I mean Eagle head (see I don't even consider the spiked ball a Crozius). But I like the classic stuff.

To me there are 3 things that 'make' a Chaplain:

1 - the Crozius, he carries it everywhere, it's his badge of office. As you say, the mace/ball looks more like a weapon. I can't imagine him carrying it around preaching to the marines at the lunch table... unless he cooked maybe...

2 - a Rosarius, I'm guessing the bird skull can be just that.

3 - skulls!

The head of the Crozius does allow for a little more customization though I'm not really up to knowledge of other Phoenixguard / Ravenguard bits out there that might fit.

I finished the job ! Let me introduce you Kael Jaqen, Ashes Priest of the Phoenix Knights, member of the high council of the 2nd expeditionary fleet.

First I followed your inputs and chose the crozius smile.png Second, I wanted to achieve an original head, even if the DV chaplain one was a really good alternative. So it's built on Khârn's, bunny ears and hanging decorations removed. I then cut in half a banner top decoration to give the punisher style helmet small wings, to match Phoenix K. visual and give it a small gallic touch smile.png.

The backpack is an old Azrael metal one with a DK staff top.

gallery_61390_6100_48447.jpg gallery_61390_6100_23707.jpg

I've magnetised the backpack to give him a Jetpack if needed (and Korvy's is just great for that, thanks Marius wink.png)

gallery_61390_6100_97514.jpg

More views soon on Grotsmasha's thread. Edit : here

Archived