Best Marine from a Legion

Jim Shady

Argel Tal has to be in with a shout.

Admittedly, he had the slight advantage of being powered by a daemon, but he made short work of pretty much everything that came near him at Istvaan.

And he was clever enough to spot the gap in the abilities of the Custodians.

Sigismund has to get some love. He was the first Emperor's champion,first high marshel and comanded the imerial forces when the Emperor and dorn ect were on horus's ship, commanded the imperial attack on mars and fought all the traitor legions commanders.

Possessed ones count ? Kinda unfair.

I think they do, though I can't accept Dreadnoughts. Reason being is Possessed still have their bodies and are merely "augmented" like cybernetic enhancements but Marines in Dreadnoughts are pilots of a vehicle. Saying a pilot is allowed, well then why not the pilot of a Starship, Titan or Landraider?

Besides, I didn't get the impression Argel Tal was the be all and end all of power. He certainly wasn't a match for a Centurion, even when possessed (it took a whole wedge of them to take on a handful of them). He is good, but I just didn't feel he was the sort of power level of Abaddon or the others.

Which in my mind was a good thing because every author was creating their own character who was unbeatable in each HH novel, but A D-B went a subtler route with his choice of characters and wasn't so predictable.

Besides, I didn't get the impression Argel Tal was the be all and end all of power.

In The First Heretic? Definitely not. But things change. I'll never be interested in making him super-badass, I admit, but he's got a lot of growing ahead of him, after The First Heretic.

Ultimately, despite this being a bit of a pointle-- uh, "unsolvable" debate, remember that the Heresy has only just begun. A lot of characters have yet to reach their full promise.

Oh good, I enjoyed reading about the changes of the possessed. Argel Tel walked us through damnation in a way we could emphasise and understand.

Sure each author has their champions, but how does it work if someone wants to kill off your pet character? For example, I'm sure you wouldn't like to see Mr. Abnett kill off Argel Tel in the 1st part of the Battle for Calth by having a pidgeon fly into his head and knocking him onto a discarded chainsword?

Ultimately, despite this being a bit of a pointle-- uh, "unsolvable" debate, remember that the Heresy has only just begun. A lot of characters have yet to reach their full promise.

What are forums meant to be used for if not discussions :lol: You can make almost any debate "unsolvable" just by saying "Well that's just my opinion". (Btw i hate people who do this, even though i do it myself sometimes lol)

I dont think authors can kill off the characters of other authors unless its the same story from different POV like TS and PB.

I'm pissed I've spent money on every book in the series and it has only 'just begun'. Jesus Christ how much longer do I have to wait to see Sigismund kick ass? Is it too much to ask that I get a book about a character from a legion I like. Or even a short story? Or an extract? If I read one more book about a traitor legion I may gouge my eyes out.

Chaos lost the heresy! I want a book about my side. So far it's been the Dark Angels and Space Wolves. A story about an Ultramarine, and a few random smatterings of loyalists in a sea of traitors and loyalists from the traitor legions.

As always A D-B must write the Imperial Fists book.

Honestly, i never liked Space Marines until i started reading the HH, and ive always hated Chaos Space Marines even more because they were the same but with spikes and skulls and angry faces.

Im really really really happy that they've been delving into the turned legions more than the loyalists, really fleshes them out, gives them a face and a character. Theres only so much ''Argghh im a starch-arse'' that can be put up with, anyway, unless its Loken saying it.

And lets face it, the Chaos legions are more important during the HH. They're the ones that bucked the status quo, afterall. Its nice to see why.

Are Custodes eligible for this tournament? Judging from teh title im going to guess they are not.

But if they were I cant imagine ANY Marine going the distance with Valdor. OK we havent really seen him in action yet in any of teh novels, but being the Chief Custode has to mean he is one seriously formidable fighter.

Regards

TM Andreas

Im really really really happy that they've been delving into the turned legions more than the loyalists, really fleshes them out, gives them a face and a character. Theres only so much ''Argghh im a starch-arse'' that can be put up with, anyway, unless its Loken saying it.

And lets face it, the Chaos legions are more important during the HH. They're the ones that bucked the status quo, afterall. Its nice to see why.

Honestly, I don't think the Horus Heresy loyalist point of view has been adequately fleshed out apart from Loken. I think there's great depth and potential to loyalist point of view which hasn't been shown in spades yet because most of the stories so far have been from a traitor's bias POV. While I agree the traitors are very important to the HH story, there's two sides to this coin and the "balance" is getting pretty lopsided.

EDIT: I guess we've had Garro and Tarvitz as well, but once again they're from traitor legions

Luther. Toe-to-toe with a Primarch so hard they broke the planet.

Wasn't technically a Marine though. :)

Also, didn't break the planet. Caliban was destroyed by orbital weapony and warp storms. Luther did strike the Lion a mortal blow, but only after the Lion couldn't bring himself to kill Luther.

I vote the First Warsmith of the Iron Warriors... just because the Iron Warriors are my favourite :tu: just as long as whenever he turns up in the Heresy the author makes him cool without being ridiculous.

Honestly, I don't think the Horus Heresy loyalist point of view has been adequately fleshed out apart from Loken. I think there's great depth and potential to loyalist point of view which hasn't been shown in spades yet because most of the stories so far have been from a traitor's bias POV. While I agree the traitors are very important to the HH story, there's two sides to this coin and the "balance" is getting pretty lopsided.

EDIT: I guess we've had Garro and Tarvitz as well, but once again they're from traitor legions

You think so? I don't really think they're biased towards traitors, infact most of the time we're supposed to be egging on the loyalists in the traitor legions.

Loken/Torgaddon, Garro, Tarvitz, Ahriman (maybe debatable), Istvaan survivors (Ehrlen, Huron Fal) etc.

You think so? I don't really think they're biased towards traitors, infact most of the time we're supposed to be egging on the loyalists in the traitor legions.

Loken/Torgaddon, Garro, Tarvitz, Ahriman (maybe debatable), Istvaan survivors (Ehrlen, Huron Fal) etc.

I think the complaint comes from the fact the only Loyalist Legions with any dedicated novel are Dark Angels and Space Wolves, whilst there is The Emperor's Children, Lunar Wolves, Death Guard, Word Bearers, Alpha Legion and Thousand Sons novels in contrast. Sure there are token appearances from loyalists in Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicum and the rest, but no real depth has been shown.

Personally I'm happy with the series right now, though I am worried about what I'm going to miss when the series wraps up. BL only have finite amount of resources so we just aren't going to see what XXX character was doing whilst Horus attacked Y planet etc, so we just have to accept these things. But I still don't want it to end!

Archived