Best Marine from a Legion

Jim Shady

Well, that would kinda mean Sigismund was not the Emperor's choice among all the Legions, and instead merely the Emperor's choice among the Legions defending Terra. Meaning that from his title you could not conclude that he was the best among the 18 Legions, but merely conclude that he was the best among the three that were currently available.

Well, that would kinda mean Sigismund was not the Emperor's choice among all the Legions, and instead merely the Emperor's choice among the Legions defending Terra. Meaning that from his title you could not conclude that he was the best among the 18 Legions, but merely conclude that he was the best among the three that were currently available.

Yup... but that's plenty isn't it? :-D I mean we have doubts about who might be best in certain legions and this is probably the only confirmed role as such. I say take it. Though I love the Luna Wolf guys, the likes of Sevatar or Typhus and Lucius and so on might be candidates just because of their ruthlessness and being picked by the Chaos Gods... but this real topic is just a chance for everybody to put down their favourites no? :-D

It would be nice if there were separate topics for favourites and a separate one with some kind of objctive analysis where people put legitimate reasons and not much spillover between the two... but I think I'm just being naive :-D

You...

Sometimes I just wanna....

I hate you.

Well, I'm hateable. Occasionally.

Reading the story from the 2003 Chapter Approved (which briefly describes Sigismund's first fight as the newly appointed Emperor's Champion), it seems that Sigismund was appointed by Rogal Dorn, not the Emperor (which kind of makes sense, since it is more of an honour/creed thing, important to the Imperial Fists, but perhaps not the Emperor himself. That Rogal Dorn would task his greatest fighter to go forth and slay the enemy champions in 1on1 duels sounds believable, that the Emperor would ask a Marine to do such a thing less so). It also seems to indicate that Sigismund had been a simple Battle Brother, though of course the greatest fighter of his Legion, and not a Captain. Though the latter has obviously since been retconned (or maybe he was a Captain and that was simply not emphasized in that story). But perhaps those points are something that should be discussed in the Black Templars section.

Of course, this does not change the fact that Sigismund was a pretty awesome swordsman. (And I kind of like it more if he was just a simple Marine, not a Chapter Master or Captain, being given this honour because of his outstanding skill. This also fits with the theme of the best fighter of a Crusade being chosen to become the Champion of the Emperor, and that not simply being the Marshal of the Crusade.) It just was not the Emperor who chose Sigismund to be the awesomest guy ever. It is a practice that originated from the Imperial Fists Legion, since honour duels are important to them.

I have to say, I'm going to stick my vote in for Malcharion of the Night Lords. He killed three hard-as-nails enemy soldiers (one of them twice) and had brains too; he wrote a lovely book about it.

Him, or the World Eater from Battle for the Abyss, Skraal.

Firstly, despite your violent name Gunslinger87 you seem like such a happy, peaceful person :rolleyes:

Legatus makes a good point about Sigismund being chosen just from the 3 loyalists defending Terra tbf.

Although this is completely a matter of each persons opinion I think the top marines, judging by everyones responses and a little of my own opinions are:

Loyalists

Sigismund

Loken

Garro

Jubal Khan

Ultra in Iron Within

Traitors

Abbadon

Sevatar

Malcharion

Lucius

Ahriman

Typhon

Arget Tal

Sorry if ive missed anyones favourite marine, these are the ones that i noticed while going through the thread.

By the way did Sigismund experience a vision/dream of the Emperor before he was made Emps Champion? Or did that only start happening after the Heresy

Legatus why can't you just accept that the most badass loyalist alive was Sigismund? Do you hate him because he said 'no I'm good' to the codex? I just don't get it. Clearly he is a super badass.

I'm just gonna cross my fingers and hope whenever he gets around to being crowned champion all those fidly details about just how badass he is will come out.

Legatus why can't you just accept that the most badass loyalist alive was Sigismund?

Because clearly the most badass loyalist must have been... that one Ultramarine dude. Who was mentioned once. As long as it is an Ultramarine. Naturally.

One day you will admit that even though he didn't adopt the codex Sigismund was the greatest loyalist Astartes. Ever. In the history if space marines.

While Sigsmund is a great fighter, he can never be an Ultramarine, for his geneseed is not that of Roboute Guilliman. He will remain a great Astartes hero, but not quite the greatest of the great. It almost makes me feel sorry for him.

One day you will admit that even though he didn't adopt the codex Sigismund was the greatest loyalist Astartes. Ever. In the history if space marines.

Unless I find out that he actually meant to implement the Codex, but was somehow misunderstood when he was making that his diyng wish.

Sigismind: *dying* "My brothers... you... must allways... follow the co..." *dies*

Templar 1: "follow the co...?"

Templar 2: "What did he say?"

Templar 1: *pondering* "Hm, the co..., the co..."

Templar 3: *snaps fingers* "...the coolest guy with the biggest ass sword!"

Templar 2: *exited* "That's it!"

And we are not supposed to call them "Astartes" anymore. Hah!

Edit: Damn, Gree's reply is much more witty...

Unless I find out that he actually meant to implement the Codex, but was somehow misunderstood when he was making that his diyng wish.

Sigismind: *dying* "My brothers... you... must allways... follow the co..." *dies*

Templar 1: "follow the co...?"

Templar 2: "What did he say?"

Templar 1: *pondering* "Hm, the co..., the co..."

Templar 3: *snaps fingers* "...the coolest guy with the biggest ass sword!"

Templar 2: *exited* "That's it!"

The anime character Cloud was recently seen leading a force of Black Templars Astartes. High Marshal Hebrecht declined comment. More news at 11...

;)

EDIT: And the best legionary was without a doubt Tarik Torgaddon. :(

I'd like to give a shout out to all the unsung heroes who died to pave a path of glory for whoever we choose to be the "best" Astartes. To all the "Bobs, and Bills, and Jims" out there who gave their lives in the service to the Emperor and Mankind... we salute you.

*sniff* Lest we forget, brothers... *sniff*

...that the obvious choice for best Astartes is me :devil:

My favourite from all the Legions pre-Heresy/Heresy time is at this stage Abaddon. There is a reason he is the Warmaster in the 41st Millennium and it isn't because his hair makes him look like Boy George!

Seriously. He, with Horus and the entirety of the Justaerin, attacked the last citadel of Ullanor alone. Only Horus and Abaddon walked out in one piece, the citadel a wreck behind them. What's that say about Abaddon?

IT SAYS HE'S THE FREAKING WARMASTER.

My favourite from all the Legions pre-Heresy/Heresy time is at this stage Abaddon. There is a reason he is the Warmaster in the 41st Millennium and it isn't because his hair makes him look like Boy George!

Seriously. He, with Horus and the entirety of the Justaerin, attacked the last citadel of Ullanor alone. Only Horus and Abaddon walked out in one piece, the citadel a wreck behind them. What's that say about Abaddon?

Ursakar M. Creed would like a word...

Creed's currently holding on by his fingertips on Cadia while Abaddon's trashing much of a Segmentum. Color me not impressed by Creed.

........and yes I am aware of the meme. I just don't care about it. Only fluff.

Only Horus and Abaddon walked out in one piece, the citadel a wreck behind them. What's that say about Abaddon?

DAMN STRAIGHT!

I think Luther is a bit underrated. He was the only marine who had defeated a primarch.

He was backed by chaos gods.

Yep and not a Marine either.

I fancy Sigismund is amongst the best. He is the only Marine to have proven himself against Champions of Chaos out of those dark days. Before that he was know for being one of the best, actually renown for such.

I'd like Nicodemus to be the best, but really Sigismund has a far greater rep.

Actually, I kind of want Jubal Khan or an Iron Hand to be the "best". Someone unusual and NOT a 1st Captain. ;)

And that word is "HEEEELP!!!!"

ppl we forget many characters in the codex fluff that hasent been introduced in the books yet.

the most awesome astartes according to me is...

Sigismund: kicked everybodys ass, but he bruces easely according to dorn. He was chosen by the Almighty Dead Dude to be his champion

Arhiman: could probably pull out the spine on every marine he would meet WITH HIS ;) MIND!!! nuff said....

Azkaellon, Herald of the Primarch Sanguinius: Was the sole survivor of the entire Sanguinary Guard, because he was on terra when they boarded the vengeful spirit. He then reubulded the entire order and the remains of the blood angels legions. He was personal bodyguard and 2-I-C to sanguinius. he is rumored to be the Sanguinor.

but i think that its hard to decide as all of them would die if they get a bolter round in the head even if it was a stray round. Never underestimate the power of luck.

Archived