Clever Girl... - Wink Wink, Nudge Nudge

Greyall

Love the heraldry image Greyall. Very well done. Better than
I hoped, and full of all the stuff that makes a Exsanguinator. And I know
making a Maltese cross look relatively Blood Angel-ly was difficult but you pulled
it off well. To explain the use of the cross was a clever joke between Midnight
Runner and myself when I was searching for ideas on how to flesh out the story
for one of BA's "fatally undone" chapters. Since the medical symbol
for blood donation is the red cross.

• 2 weeks later...

Great, now I have to camp the thread to see if I can get the riddle this time. biggrin.png

You already lose, for making me think the thread got an update tongue.png For shame!

Same here! laugh.png

So I wanted to get through all of this thread before posting anything, (It took most of the day and I skipped large portions of text...) this work is fantastic. While I might not sell my kidney for one of these, I might find some dying marine to take one from. Please never stop creating these.

Not intending to, mate, thanks a bunch.

Still, I'm going through one hell of a slowness-period with my life being in a very...let's say interesting...crossroads right now, when I have so many drawings I want to do and should be powering through them.

I'll try as all hell to have something very soon. Cheers, many thanks. =)

• 1 month later...

I gotta tell you, man, I think everyone is always ready for more of Greyall's artwork.laugh.png

I mean, it's not like he was waiting for you, you know?tongue.png

If there's ever another DIY contest on this thread, I'll totally enter the Sons of =][=DELETED=][= just to see what happens.turned.gif

EDIT:

Forgot my italics. Oops!

• 2 weeks later...

Well, nothing like months without posting to remind myself how stupid I've been for not post for months...wait, that doesn't...

Lady and gents...here's a family man:

http://fc07.deviantart.net/fs70/f/2013/236/1/4/chapter_master_lannwyn_of_the_crimson_lions_by_greyall-d6jieoc.jpg

My favourite Game of Thrones character, Tywin Lannister, given a power armour. Where's your king of the North now?? For this puprpose I've dubbed him Lannwyn, Chapter Master of the Crimson Lions, a Dark Angels Successor Chapter. They like making magic tricks with Inquisitors.

On to the next one.

Holy crap GoT characters in power armor...that's too awesome for words.  Have you thought of doing other GoT/40k crossover work?  "The Hound" would make for an interesting piece of work, Sir Davos the "onion knight" most definitely would look good in a suit of power armor; and how would a power armored Roose Bolton come across?  Oh man, you're making my head spin Greyall- fantastic work man.

Hodor would be a fun cross-over to do too, no? :P

Jokes aside, I'm loving that Astartes. The face fits him so very well and, as always, the detail everywhere is quite sublime. You've definitely progressed since the beginning of this thread :tu:

Nice to see you posting again. I've missed seeing your stuff happy.png

Will you be posting any more picture prizes soon?

Hodor could be a Centurion. :)

Awesome work on Lannwyn, Greyall, all of your art looks fantastic. If only I had the conversion skills to make some of these come alive on the table top.

However, I may have to paint some squads up given the 40K/Song of Fire and Ice inspirations now... :D

Very Nice. Now where is Jai Mi of the Pretty Boy Marines? Or Karavarys?

Battle-Brother Ludovic, on 24 Aug 2013 - 18:58, said:

Hodor would be a fun cross-over to do too, no? tongue.png

I see Hodor more as an Ogryn than as an Astartes.

Woohoo! I haven't gotten to tear apart a Greyall piece in ages. Let me just fetch my good knives...

There we are. Now then, let's see. I quite like the design of the backpack. Robust and blocky, as proper 40k tech should be! You've really nailed down your Celtic (Gaelic? I dunno) knotwork skills at this point. I am utterly unfamiliar with Game of Thrones (GASP!) so I have no idea how accurate the portrait is. Edit- Just googled him. Not bad!

There are only two things that stick out as wrong to me. First, the proportion difference in the raised guards of his pauldrons. The difference in depth between his forward facing and rear facing shoulders is very subtle, but the difference in height for his shoulder armor is noticeably dramatic. But then I've been hitting you with the 'Perspective Stick' for ages, so what else is new.

The other thing is the cloth. I know it's a total pain in the ass when doing line art, but have you considered trying to make clothes like the ones hanging around his thighs a bit less smooth and flat? Flowing cloth isn't known to be such a pristine and even surface msn-wink.gif

Some folds, some wrinkles, anything to convey motion aside from a curl of the edges. It's a pretty consistent thing through your art, so at this point I dunno if it's a personal style or just a way of cutting an unpleasant corner.

Even though folded cloth absolutely requires shading to look realistic, a very minimal amount of clever crosshatching would work well enough and add a lot of dynamism and movement to your pieces. That's no more work than shading in the cloth in the background. You did it a tiny bit in his sash, but it's practically pinned to his figure, so that doesn't count msn-wink.gif

I've always considered Todd McFarlane's work a good example of that. If you look at a black and white picture of Spawn's cape, it's mostly white with solid black folds and the bare minimum of crosshatching in between.

There's always the old exercises, tedious as they are: http://th04.deviantart.net/fs71/PRE/i/2013/016/9/8/cloth_drawing_practice_by_lialice-d5rr0lo.jpg

....man, that felt good. I missed doing that smile.png

He actually looks a decent amount like what I had been thinking about for my entry, haha. Something about the feel of it. Very nice piece! I really like his armor ornamentation.

Archived