Oh man, I can't wait for this. Its always a pleasure to read your updates, Subtle.

On the Fire Raptor, I can tell you that its problems probably have increased over time. I did have of those allignement issues with mine, which Ibught the day or release, but nowhere near the way yours has. I did also have to pin the living hell out of mine and give it water dunks several times into the building process, though. But yours turned out great, no?

Also: a Storm Raven extension kit, you say, eh? Like the one Chapter House did in the past? I'll wait for that one for sure!!!

The Kytan is a fantastic model indeed. Have fun with it. Those ideas you had all sound awesome. Can't wait!

kjlVWJp.png

+++ Designation: Kytan Daemon Engine/Construct +++ Classification: Variant - Unknown +++ Further Reconnaissance Incoming - Stand By +++

Edited by Subtle Discord
+++ Image Data-link ∙ Repair +++

So, bowing to the temptation that is procrastination and distraction, I did get a few hours to do some building of the Kytan. 

UKabku8.png
Ud6PuRg.png
99quiLB.png

I wish I had more time to write something now, but this teaser storyboard will have to do. In a bit, I'll get some full images up of the progress completed so far, plus some write up. I'm quite pleased with the direction it's going so far; still room for further refinement/adjustment if I choose, but a solid bash that I think is going to work quite well and be very unique.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Damn, I think I have a GIF around here that's perfect for this situation...

*sounds of Psycho rummaging through different computer folders and file directories*

AHA!!! Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/YloFpEj.gif

Seriously, though, that's awesome. A lot of great work going into this one: I can't wait to see it built!

think I have a GIF around here that's perfect for this situation...

*sounds of Psycho rummaging through different computer folders and file directories*

AHA!!! Here it is:

http://i.imgur.com/YloFpEj.gif

Not true! I love when Discord teases me.

ahJPUe4.png

Edit: through the miracle of time-laps photography, this process looks almost effortless, and kinda' quick. While not really that hard to do, especially with something this large, the process takes a bit of care and lots more time. This took roughly 1.5 hours to do.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Note: I have no concrete idea why there’s a darker ghost/shadow left in the plastic when I remove details like in the previous images. If I had to guess I would say that the pigments in the plastic cure differently in (or are drawn to) the center of the part as it cools.

Ok, with a small lull between college projects (that’s all but gone as I write this), I gave in and spent some hours doing a bit of assembly and kit-bashing with the Kytan. As mentioned before the Kytan is a personal project, so I’m finding it very difficult to ignore it. I can do anything I want with this wonderful kit! It calls to me… So, the simple plan is, move it away from ‘Khorne Daemon Engine’ and shift it towards ‘Dark Mechanicus Daemon Engine’

Y29otb7.png

Taking inspiration from several Mechanicum and Mechanicus robot models I settled on moving the cannon to an over-the-shoulder design.

When I saw the FW Mechanicum Castellax Atomata pictured on the left I knew I found my primary inspiration; move the cannon to the shoulder and put combat weapons in both hands (and I mean literally ‘in’ the hands/arms) to reflect the combat proficiency of the Kytan. It gets an extra attack after all, so it ‘needs’ two combat weapons, right? Rule of Cool says… yes!

I’m still deciding if I’m going to emulate the Castellax and do circular blades; it’s tempting, but I have another idea or two that I want to consider before I settle in the final form. For now I started work on the shoulder mount for the cannon. At first I had considered doing something more scratch built, but when I got looking at some of the bits I had, I started playing with this kit-bash.

zCk1i5R.png

I had planned on putting a single cannon on the shoulder, and then this happened! I guess it ‘needs’ two cannons as well. Rule of Cool does say two is better than one, after all!

I’ve had these cannons from the Forgefiend kit assembled for a while, and I was considering using one/both on the Decimator as Butcher Cannons, but the scale and form just didn’t fit with the model. They have rounded elements that suit their new purpose much better. A bit of styrene tubing and they’re virtually made to mount on the end of a Defiler leg.

I’m also particularly pleased with the simple-yet-effective addition of the optics and vox to the side of the head. It’s a small thing, but I’ve had the bit kicking around for ages, waiting for a worthy project, and I think it’s a perfect detail to add to the theme.

8EfWraL.png

What serious Chaos collector doesn’t have at least a few Defiler parts (kits) kicking around? Humm… This might just work.

These images are Kytan 0.1, with my first attempt to build an armature for the cannons. I liked the pose/stance of the cannons and the overall silhouette it created; it had the right idea, but it seemed like it could use something… more. So I gave it another try.

N5AL5c1.png

teb80Dw.png

Kytan 0.2 - Improvement through experimentation, iteration, and upgrade. I think the Mechanicus would approve.

As usual with something at this point of the build, this is only half glued together and everything else is being held in place by poster tack, friction, and hope, so the stance and alignment isn’t final by any means, just an early showcase.

By switching up to the larger front leg of the Defiler kit I could get the exact same form and silhouette in the armature but with some added bulk and more visual interest; I think it feels much more complete. I also like how the curved armor plate helps to transition the hard lines of the Defiler parts into the rounder Kytan body.

I’m adding rivets to the spots that are missing them due to the limitations of the styrene casting processes; another little thing, but I think it’s adding up nicely over the whole build. And for anyone curious, the pipes/cables leading from the armature to the Kytan body were heated in boiling water and carefully bent into shape over several dips and slow adjustment. Styrene is a thermodynamic plastic, which essentially means that you can heat it (all the way to liquid, if you want), shape it while hot, and it will cool and hold the heat-formed shape it was given. Every once-and-awhile you can use it to your advantage and simply bend the part to your will.

tDa30Qg.png

It makes me wish I had a to-scale gantry and/or scaffold to hang it from as it gets assembled; with servators and robotics working away to complete it. It would make a great diorama.

Next up, the arms. Again, I’m torn between two circular blades a-la Castellax Automata, or another configuration of my own design. They will be much more (likely all) scratch built, so I’ll have much more freedom in their form. I might need to model 2-3 variations in Solidworks to really get a feel for the final design. Because of how pose'able and awesome the leg assemblies are, I don’t think I’ll be doing much modification to them; it will come down to pose and the composition of the base to take full advantage of the legs, I think.

But unfortunately, there’s no time for that now. So ends another small chapter in the much larger story. Thanks for reading, and if you’re so inclined, writing a few words. As always, more to come.

Edited by Subtle Discord

Oh man, this is looking great. I knew you would be able to take it some place nice, but this is next level conversion work. Me being surprised is just proof that even you can improve, you with your daemonic powerz of awesomesauce who are making all us mortal kitbashers look like buffoons. ;)

I'm interested to see what yuo're ging to do with the weapon. I love the idaes of two buzz saws, but also see problems because of the asymmetry of the lower arms.... speaking of which, I noticed the roundy plate you used on the weapon mount also has its symbol removed - great work! But if I may suggest something, it'd be to turn it around. S the broad end facing downward, which will I think make the twhole contraption look a bit more sturdy. Also, I love that comms/optics bit you've put on the head. I'd have preferred it to be attached much the same way, though a few mm lower on the side of the head though. There's a bit of an awkward gap in between the top 'dome' of the head and the vertical surface attaching to the head, as it is now... Or is it not glued in place yet?

Lovely, lovely work again. Dude. I wis I had your skill and patience.

Part of the problem is there’s almost too many good ideas. Matching weapons for balance and symmetry if I want to take in that direction, or mismatched weapons that still complement each other in some way, to add some variety. I’ll likely be replacing the arms from the just below the elbows down to have complete creative control, so what’s there now will have very little impact on what solution I settle on.

Then there’s the entire realm of weapon options to choose from; do I want it to slice, dice, clip, crush, bend, pierce, flail, or perhaps it’ll make Julian Fries with easy cleanup? :smile.: Even something ‘safe’ will look great, but there is room to do something more ambitions if I’m struck by a good idea that won’t let me go. Still haven’t found it yet, so I’ll be thinking on this one for a bit before I settle on something, that’s for sure.

Many of the parts are still just tacked together here, so even now it’s in flux in many ways. There’s a long road to travel, with many forks along the way, until this build is finished. I’ma gonna’ have me some fun wit’ this-un. I’s hopin’ it’ll be a monster.

Edit:

Yes, all Khorne symbols have been removed in my effort to move it towards an 'Undivided' Dark Mechanicus War Engine; thanks for noticing. I'll also continue to add more Dark Mechanicus, Chaos, and Black Legion elements as I go.

After considering all of the options with the head mounted optics, this was the only real orientation that works; the photos don't illustrate it well, but there's not really room to lower it any more, or it becomes impossible for the model to straighten it's head or turn it to the left. Yes, it's sits a bit awkward/tall on top, but it fits well on the bottom with the round detail on the head that it's attaching to. I like to think the bit of awkwardness makes it feel more Mechanicus, as well; the top does have a bit of work done to make it look like it's 'emerging' from the head and not just tacked on, but again, the photos don't show it that well. It still might get a bit more detailing, as well.

After some of the things I've built in college, in unbelievably short windows of time, and they always get a good response; in fact, many times I get offers to buy or donate my models - great for my esteem, bad for my portfolio. :smile.: So, with everything I've done, I'm not intimidated by building virtual anything anymore. They have nothing to do with the hobby but maybe someday I'll show some of my projects to highlight some of the different build processes and show some of the in-progress information. I've got lots of things documented, but none of it is specifically hobby related in subject matter beyond process. Process is the same no matter the subject matter, so it's a bit of a grey zone that I've been pondering.

Edited by Subtle Discord