The Gauntlet of Fenris

MaveriK

Dauntless Few:

This is my suggestion for our intial deployment and strategy:

Rayray and Tsor in F2.

Zynk and Ace in E1

Myself in F1.

This keeps us castled up initially, and only allows 1 kraken to engage 2 of us. You guys occupying the squares in front of me prevents them from getting to me, and allows me to keep a steady stream of krak missiles pumping into the kraken, insta-donkeypunching 1 per shot. This also means if one of you should fall i can plug that hole in before the fight turns to their advantage. When we thin them out we can turn aggressive and hunt down the stragglers.

Separting Rayray and Zynk means we have a melta gun per tile, so we have more S8 shots out incase we lose one of them. That means it falls to Tsor and Ace to keep these brothers up and running as long as possible, because we dont know the number of kraken coming at us.

how does this sound?

WLK

Hunts Master. This is the Positioning that we of " The Might Alliance " Have decided to begin our cleansing mission.

Russ Brother 92---- > e8

Warhorse47 -------- > e8

eyeslikethunder---- > e8

-Volsung- ----------- > e7

Khine --------------- > e7

Greenhorn...get it together!

Sorry net was out...

Arez-TDA with Flamer and CML

Skadi-Heavy Bolter,Missile Launcher and Flamer

Nrth-melta

Forte-Power Axe

Postal-Melta

Since no-one else used the spare points i added a CML on my armor,hope its ok if not tell me please

Greenhorn...get it together!

Sorry net was out...

Arez-TDA with Flamer and CML

Skadi-Heavy Bolter,Missile Launcher and Flamer

Nrth-melta

Forte-Power Axe

Postal-Melta

Since no-one else used the spare points i added a CML on my armor,hope its ok if not tell me please

Excuses as always.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The plan was simple, on paper.

Krakens were approaching from the north, and the Space Wolves were going to drive out to the shoreline, and kill them.

The problem, however, lay in the fact that there weren't many Wolves at home. The Hunt-master, Maverik, had instructed the skeleton crew manning the Fang (or at least it's tavern) to get to the north shoreline and cause a distraction while he signalled the rest of the Wolves as reinforcements.

The group jokingly nicknamed the 'Dauntless Few' had driven with a small party of lone hunters for two days through jagged and inhospitable terrain in a Rhino that was just about fit to drive for two minutes on a gentle plain.

Then, two hours ago, they'd finally arrived at what would become their chosen battleground - a desolate field of ice that ended not in gentle sloping shores, but jagged, icy cliffs. Paths down to sea-level were few, and treacherously slippery. The lone hunters had departed, heading further east along the shoreline to make sure nothing escaped their attention. Further east still hunted the other packs. Only the Dauntless Few remained at the Rhino, watching and waiting.

"It's too quiet. Do you think the Hunt-master was mistaken about the kraken coming here?" Tsor asked, testing a knife he'd found in the rhino against a thick branch.

"He's not been wrong yet." Wolf Lord Kieran shrugged. "He did say they might be some time in arriving. I'm not complaining, anyway. It's been too long since we were out in the field like this."

"Fair point. Where are the others?" Tsor swung at the branch again, the blade lodging heavily in the branch.

"Rayray's on watch, unless Zynk's relieved him by now. Zynk's been off looking for firewood incase we're waiting here overnight, and Ace has been trying to fix the Rhino." Kieran chuckled as a muffled curse came from under the Rhino. "At least it's better than listening to him complain about the cold."

"I heard that," a voice replied from under the tank. Kieran gave a snort of laughter.

"You were supposed to. It's a fine day and you're still complaining. Having any luck?"

"Not really, since I don't have much in the way of tools with me. My combat knife has a spanner-head on the pommel, and it also makes an acceptable hammer, but that's it." Ace sighed. "This vehicle's in a bad state."

"It was due for repair, after that fight with the Eldar on Valedrus. Well, before that, really, but that was the most recent fight it's been in." Tsor shrugged as he sat down and started sharpening his new knife on a stone. "I guess nobody got around to it."

"Was that the fight where Warhorse killed that guy by shutting the top hatch on him?" Kieran asked. "And where Arez, Forte and Skadi knocked a Wraithlord over onto us?"

"That's the one. Something to do with a melta bomb under its foot or something," Tsor laughed. "Oh, and Khine crashed his team's Rhino into our one to squash that witch, remember?"

"Oh, yeah. That's why the left-side door doesn't shut properly. Good times though." Kieran grinned.

Ace popped his head out from under the tank, looking horrified. "I take it back. This thing's holding up marvellously considering what you put it through."

"It's seen worse fights than that," Tsor chuckled. Ace glanced at the battered tank.

"I believe you. This Rhino doesn't even have a nameplate anywhere on it - I'm amazed the machine spirit puts up with you lot."

"We'll worry about that when we get back to the Fang," Kieran said, activating his vox. "Ray, any news?"

"No, brother," Ray's voice crackled back through the vox. "Still quiet out here. Zynk's on his way up, by the looks of it, so I'll be back at base camp soon."

"Understood." Kieran settled back against a broad rock and sighed heavily.

"Waiting game?" Tsor asked.

"Looks like." Kieran replied, "But don't get too comfortable. You never know when the krakens will make a move."

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Quick bit of story, just to keep the mood alive. :)

MAP ONE

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/KrakenSpawn/DauntlessFew_zps62e4e358.jpg

The Dauntless Few

MAP TWO

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/KrakenSpawn/MapTwo_zps8f536955.jpg

The Mighty Alliance

--EDIT--

Coming soon.. other maps. Give me time and have patience brothers/sisters. It takes time to make these things while finding time from real life and painting my army.

Where are all the solos? If we are still allowed to play I was a Claw with Flamer and Power Axe and I would like to be placed on D7

solos are coming, patience brother!

Yeah it's starting so Mav will there be different maps for the smaller packs and solo wolfs?

maps will be the same, it keeps things easier for everyone including myself.

"Hey. Why do we always get the blame for everyth...oh...you mean that."

Nice tale Ace. Can easily picture me and Arez laughing our heads off at the sight of the others fuming while dragging themselves out of the Rhino. Skadi most likely with her face in her hands muttering something along the lines of "Why. Why me."

Did Greenhorn put locations down for us? Think we need to stick together for this.

MAP ONE

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/KrakenSpawn/DauntlessFew_zps62e4e358.jpg

The Dauntless Few

:)

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

The sun was setting. Ace had abandoned his work on the Rhino after making a few impromptu repairs, using wooden blocks carved by Tsor to prop up the dented panel on the inside floor and extracting an ork's tooth from the gearbox.

The others, Wolf Lord Kieran, Rayray and Tsor, were sat around a small fire, arguing about details of a long-ago battle on a space hulk. Ace just listened in bewilderment as the three discussed who, exactly, had been responsible for clubbing an ork to death with a bulkhead.

Suddenly, the vox crackled into life.

"This is Zynk Kaladin, broadcasting on all frequencies. We have movement in the waters less than a league from here. It's most likely krakens. Make yourselves ready for combat, sons of Russ."

"About time," Kieran chuckled, stretching leisurely. "I was getting tired of you guys bickering."

"The hunt-master's information was good, then?" Ace asked, checking his bolt pistol was secure in it's holster.

As if in response, the vox crackled into life again.

"You might want to hurry, brothers. It's definitely kraken." Zynk replied, urgently.

"Understood. How many are there?" Ray voxed back. There was silence for a moment, and the Dauntless Few exchanged glances. "Zynk, I asked-" Ray was cut off by a terse reply.

"I was counting them. They aren't all headed for the shore, but there's about fifty kraken in the waters." Silence rolled back, but this time it was the silence caused by four jaws simultaneously dropping.

"Russ's beard," Tsor muttered, "Are you certain, brother?"

"I wish I wasn't," Zynk replied. "They're heading all along the coast, though so the other packs will be able to intercept a lot of them too."

"Well, we can't let them have all the fun." Kieran shrugged, picking up his power maul. "There's a gap in the cliffs, leading down to the shore. Zynk, we'll meet you at the coastline. Acknowledged?"

"Acknowleged," the Night Angel's voice echoed back at them. "Emperor protect us."

The Space Wolves set off towards the gap in the cliffs, leaving Ace to kick snow over the fire they'd set up. As he did, he found himself looking at the Rhino again.

"If you promise not to break before we get back to the Fang, I'll fix you up myself. Do we have a deal?" The wind howled amongst the rocks, but other than that there was silence. Ace shrugged. "Good enough. We'll be back soon."

With that, the Infinity Knight hurried after his bretheren, catching up with Rayray and Kieran as the path wound down between the cliffs. Tsor was ahead, scouting out where the Kraken were most likely to reach landfall.

Ray grinned at Ace and Kieran as he raised his melta. "Looks like it's going to be a wild party, brothers. We'd better get going - we don't want to be late!"

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Just keeping the story of the Dauntless Few rolling along. :P

From here onwards I guess it's mostly going to be down to what happens on each turn. Exciting stuff!

Russ Brother 92; does the Fang have a sushi chef? If so he's gonna be kept real busy soon! :)

EDIT: 5 of us vs 13 krakens. Damn, this is gonna get crazy!

Hmm...if that's heading this way. What was I thinking with a power axe! Oh well. Looks like this will be getting personal ;)

And what was I thinking with just a chainaxe? :lol:

I honestly didn't think we'd get quite so many kraken to deal with. I'm kinda glad we've got the meltas along now.

Perhaps the Strike Cruiser would have come in handy about now...

Where's your sense of adventure? :P

Besides "And then the krakens surfaced, only for Volsung to vaporize half of Fenris under a hail of orbital bombardments that annihilated all life in three hundred miles of the ice floes" isn't really the sort of saga that gets sung around campfires! :lol:

Where's your sense of adventure? :lol:

Besides "And then the krakens surfaced, only for Volsung to vaporize half of Fenris under a hail of orbital bombardments that annihilated all life in three hundred miles of the ice floes" isn't really the sort of saga that gets sung around campfires! :turned:

Yes Vols, whats wrong with you? :P You have a dual axe wielding Wulfen touched Kraken slayer at your side, another Kraken slayer close by with two of your other brothers. This will be cake walk..

[Writing fluff for the Mighty Alliance to come soon]

Mav, for those of us who have our maps.. do you want instructions?

Hmm...if that's heading this way. What was I thinking with a power axe! Oh well. Looks like this will be getting personal ;)

And what was I thinking with just a chainaxe? :P

I honestly didn't think we'd get quite so many kraken to deal with. I'm kinda glad we've got the meltas along now.

Where's your sense of adventure? :P

Besides "And then the krakens surfaced, only for Volsung to vaporize half of Fenris under a hail of orbital bombardments that annihilated all life in three hundred miles of the ice floes" isn't really the sort of saga that gets sung around campfires! :turned:

Aye, you got a point, Ace.

I reckon I shall have to vaporize half of Fenris... with mine own bare hands! To Battle and to a worthy saga! :lol:

Where's your sense of adventure? :o

Besides "And then the krakens surfaced, only for Volsung to vaporize half of Fenris under a hail of orbital bombardments that annihilated all life in three hundred miles of the ice floes" isn't really the sort of saga that gets sung around campfires! :lol:

Yes Vols, whats wrong with you? :o You have a dual axe wielding Wulfen touched Kraken slayer at your side, another Kraken slayer close by with two of your other brothers. This will be cake walk..

True, true!

Let's kill us some squids, brother!

Archived