The Gauntlet of Fenris

MaveriK

I will go with C4 for my start position.

After the last few weeks tracking the blackmane and hearing Hrothgar snore, which sounds kind of like a cave troll, from across the valley I am happy to have finally started to narrow down where the den was. I slowly turned my head from looking down at the tracks in the snow to catch a glimpse of dark fur and the clatter of rocks. Maybe I am closer than I thought!

In the rules it mentions that wind direction will be given before locations are chosen. Is this correct?

sorry that was more for me than you guys. It was a cut-and-paste thing from the rough draft when doing this. The actual is updated on the rule.

:: SET UP ::

1) Pick your troop type and or teams

2) Roll for beast type (unlocking map associated with result)

3) Users place themselves on the map.

4) Roll for storm effects

5) DM/Fleshmaker decides where to put 3 of the same beast types on the unlocked map (unknown to players during the first round)

6) Roll scatter dice for wind direction

:: TURN SEQUENCE ::

1) Movement

2) Shooting (optional)

3) Close Combat

Shooting....no thank you. It's not hunting unless your using yourself as the weapon.

Spear, axe, shield, knife...did I leave anything out?

Spear? I thought you weren't chucking stuff? :)

only a fool throws away his weapon ;) it just gives him a longer striking distance.. that is all.

Trying to offset the Krakens reach. And the only weapon I'd throw is the Greenhorn.

Spear? I thought you weren't chucking stuff? :lol:

only a fool throws away his weapon :P it just gives him a longer striking distance.. that is all.

Trying to offset the Krakens reach. And the only weapon I'd throw is the Greenhorn.

Hahahaha xD i can just see you grabbing "Greenhorn" by the scruff of his neck beard and pushing him in the way saying ".. Quit standing around Pup! Get in there and be a meat shie... i mean go for glory!" - Hands forte a large ale -

That would mean I'd get the kill :cuss

I'm to far away for you to grab and through me so your spear will have to do

That would mean I'd get the kill ;)

Didn't get the memo I take it. Your being thrown by the whole pack as bait.

Donning and removing armor had been a ritual since it was invented and for Loki nothing had changed. The careful attention to the details, the precise movements the moments of stillness and above all the careful rhythm in the timing. Losing himself in the meditation of the act prepared him for what was coming..... the hunt. It had been far too long since he had hunted on his own, since before becoming Astartes, becoming the Wolf. Now he had been given the chance to hunt on his own, a chance he had relished. He spoke with some of the other older wiser members of the company and the advice had ranged from taking no chances to those who were spoken of with awe and reverence who hunted as they had when they were facing the final trial...for some the tone had been of derision, those who hadn't returned.

Loki finished the ritual and stood in the stone grotto allotted to his pack in nothing. He padded over to his bunk and opened the chest at the base slowly carefully removing a tattered synth-cloth singlet of grey. He sadly realized that that had been his last act as a man, now this would only be a reminder of who he had been. Carefully folding it back up and placing the relic at the bottom of his kit he looked at the leather suit that he had been working on.... the dark chocolate color from the seal fat he had used, the decorations not yet finished, and while this bothered him he realized that was fine. His suit could be a reflection of himself...not quite finished yet. The decorations could not say anything more about himself because he didn't have anything else to say yet. He quickly donned the garment and started out thinking of taking nothing with him but what the Wolf Priests and time had given. As he exited the chamber he found a spear leaning against the door, a spear that he had never used but remembered the tales that went with it. When he had spoken to Warhorse, the veteran had told him he needed more seasoning before hunting Russ' way. Loki remembered how he had taken on a stern expression and told him that he would not hunt any other way. Breathing deeply to soak in the scents that were often overlooked, Loki knew he would either take the spear or not hunt this day....

"Thanks" Loki whispered on a barely inhaled breath as he padded down the hall to the main exit to the Highlands of Asaheim.

"Hunt well pup" Warhorse whispered just as quietly to Loki's retreating back. "Guess I won't get that training session in with him at this moment after all. Hmph"

Loki was confused at first, his memories of the trial were.....incoherent, confusing, and his new abilities only made things worse. How fast he was traveling, how clear the scents were, the brightness of the distant sun. He ran all day and most of the night resting switching his consciousness so that way he could never be ambushed. He found small game on the way which made small meals and the fresh water soothed his throat. Four long days he ran until he came to the clearing he remembered waking in after the feast. The trip back from the fang had taken him 2 weeks, but he had been traveling slowly cautiously, his trip back to this place he realized had been a reckless rush. The weather hadn't been terrible and he had not crossed anything's path that could have eaten him....but then again he hadn't really been paying attention this time, he had been focused on his memories, not the surroundings.

All of his muscles slowly tensed as he examined his surroundings, while some of his pack mates had the sense of smell the wolves were keen for, Loki at best could say that he wasn't completely blind with his nose. His eyes were an altogether different story. While his brothers had taken on more wolfish characteristics, his eyes had become those of eagles. When he had asked and shown the priests, they chuckled and called him Wolfhound which he didn't understand. As he peered into the shadows the wind picked up and shifted the air. The scent hit him as he found the first track. Wild, musky a natural scent telling the others in the area WE ARE HERE! The 4 toes and soft pads were six inches across.... Loki had returned to the real wolves.

Place me at A2

The recent campaigns had been tough, but no true Son of Russ could resist the Hunt. Gone for many years, Wolf Guard Kieran had barely stopped in the Fang in his desire to return to his true home. The cultists had been poor prey, lacking faith in the Emperor and skill at arms in equal amounts...they had been poor prey indeed. Not like the greenskins, who made up in savagery what they lacked in intelligence. Atleast battling them had tested his axe arm.

But his Hunt wasnt what he wanted. He had been told, discreetly, to keep an eye on the Chapter's Night Angel guest. A Night Angel, friend of the Wolves and found in the Fang of late, had been granted a singular honor in hunting on Fenris. Little did the Night Angel know that while this was a honor, it was also a test of his warrior skills. Fenris is no friend to fools.

As the Talon of Fenris entered the underground ruins, a new scent overwhelmed the perfume of the Night Angel...this scent blanketed the ruins, emerging from everywhere and nowhere. Grasping his weapons tightly, Kieran feels momentarily unsure if he is truely predator or prey here...

WLK

WLK... another fine entry. Much appreciated.

Loki... the same goes to you.

I envy the skill you and others here in the Fang have with words. I have a mild talent for snarky, but little else. maybe one day I will earn a place in some saga told by another. My skills are lacking in that department.

That would mean I'd get the kill :rolleyes:

Didn't get the memo I take it. Your being thrown by the whole pack as bait.

Ok gimme a second *drinks some ale* Ok ready

Deploy me on A7.

Rebuilt and reborn by the fleshmakers. The she-wolf known only as Skadi is just as beautiful, and deadly as any creature on Fenris. She stood tall and proud, moving swiftly and quietly like a mountain lion.

Skadi was scouting out the terrain. The shield maiden of the Rout could sense it. The anticipation and tension in the air. Her heart was pounding faster now as she prepared for the hunt. Her long hair dark as a ravens, flowed gently along the cold winds of death. Skadi held onto her axe tighter, ready to prove her worth within the court of the wolf king an in the eyes of the Vlka Fenryka. The air was cold, and her skin felt numb. Breathing in the cold air was like having knives stab through your lungs. But this was nothing to a Fenris born, especially to a daughter of Fenris. This is home, and she's here along with her pack mates, to hunt one of it's greatest and most dangerous creatures. A kraken!

RUNNING THE GAUNTLET

gallery_24878_5332_112753.jpg

KRAKEN HUNT

KRAKEN

Small Kraken6064364104+

:: The Claws of Russ ::

- forte (D7)

- Arez Greenhorn (D1)

- Skadi the She Wolf (Shield Maiden) (A7)

- postal105 (C7)

- Loken86 (C8)

:: The Mighty Alliance ::

- Warhorse47, Grey Hunter (C5)

- eyeslikethunder, Grey Hunter (B5)

- Khine, Blood Claw (B5)

- Russ Brother 92, Blood Claw (...)

- Dragan Stormwolf, Grey Hunter (B5)

gallery_24878_5332_46549.jpg

KONUNGUR HUNT

KONUNGUR

Giant Elk404415395+

- truesonofruss, Blood Claw (C7)

- RabidWullfen, Blood Claw (E4)

gallery_24878_5332_53124.jpg

CAVE TROLL HUNT

ICE-TROLL

Cave/Ice Troll405513356+

- Jonas Stromclaw, Grey Hunter (B6)

ICE-BEAR HUNT

ICE-BEAR

Kodiak404414393+

- Vantius, Blood Claw (A5)

- Brother Seraphion, Grey Hunter (F4)

gallery_24878_5332_53124.jpg

WULFEN HUNT

WULFEN

The Wolf-Bitten/Failed Aspirant5054152+1103+

- Zynk Kaladin, Grey Hunter (E3)

- Wolf Lord Kieran, Grey Hunter (A2)

BLACKMANED WOLF HUNT

BLACKMANED WOLF

Fenrisian Wolf404414256+

- Brother Crazywolf, Blood Claw. (C4)

- Loki-LaughingDeath, Blood Claw. (E6)

- Chapter Master Ignis Domus, Grey Hunter. (C7)

--EDIT--

Just a heads up for everybody, DON'T offline message me. My inbox usually gets busy and full once these threads start running. If you have any questions just ask/post it on the thread. It's easier for me to keep up, by just scrolling down. Post your instructions on the thread! DO NOT send me private messages. I can't start rolling the dice until I hear from Russ Brother 92 for his position. Remember, the sooner I have everyone's instructions, the faster the hunt/game will progress forward.

Mav - and everyone else - sorry I thought it had posted it - I'd like C5 with brother Horst :) - I shall be waiting in place on the first turn, sighting out the nearest kraken - then the next turn I'll charge towards the squiggly ugly beast and tear it's limbs off :D

Oh, and for instructions, I'm going to pop off shots at the nearest wolf, and see what the situation is. If it's close, I'll charge it.

Be careful what Wolf you shoot at! We shoot back and countercharge! :(

Hm. That may have been an unfortunate piece of wording. Actually, I would end up shooting myself...

Let's change that to Blackmaned, 4 legged wolf.

what if Ragnar came into view trying to sneak up on a prey while on all fours... huh? :(

Archived