The Gauntlet of Fenris

MaveriK

unless that's everybody, I'm going to give it another 24hr until I start posting up the results along with the updated maps. I should have something up by Thursday night or by this Friday. Thank you for your patience.

indeed - thanks to your innovations we wolves (young and old) have time to be the rebellious youth we are haha :lol: thanks Mav

This^^^^^^

And...you make great models too Mav :devil:

hey Mav

one more question presume if you shoot you can only charge the same target just as in 40k

I'm gonna answer this one for him and say yes. Only because it also applies to the Inglorious thread.

On a side note, Mav just got back from work an hour ago and is currently working on photoshop with the updated maps. So I'm not sure when the results will be posted.

RUNNING THE GAUNTLET

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/KrakenHunt-002.jpg

KRAKEN HUNT

FENRIS STORM UPDATE: Blinding Flurries: The driving snow obscures all vision. All shooting attacks suffer a 25% penalty to their range, rounding fractions up.

KRAKEN

Small Kraken6064364104+

:: The Claws of Russ ::

I'll go and fight the one at F5,i'll throw as much as i can while on my way - Arez Greenhorn (E3)

I'm on that one with you. Wind in our faces to cover our scent. Looks like I'll get the first charge on it - forte (F5)

This is the only beast that needs to be hunted as a pack! like true wolves we hunt together. Alone against a kraken, will bring doom and a visit from the fleshmakers. The foolish Greenhorn rushes towards the pray, failing to see the other kraken closest to him! I'm too far to warn the hot-headed fool so I will just have to do my best to distract the kraken before it gets in the way of my pack-mate. (Moving towards, while shooting at and attacking close combat at the kraken on D4) my the dice gods favor a daughter of Fenris. - Skadi the She Wolf (Shield Maiden) (mortally wounded)

i will charge at the one at d4 smelling the stench of a kraken emerging from the sea and realizing that it is focusing on good old greenhorn mumbles to him self i cant let greenhorn get blind sided seeings how he seems to be not paying attention. - postal105 (mortally wounded)

move towards D4 will launch spear while approaching then charge when in range. So who's for Sushi - Loken86 (D6)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: Arez rushes off and throws a spear at the kraken at the far distance, and missing with his aim. Skadi throws a spear at the kraken closest to Arez, that was ready to blindside the Blood Claw. Skadi's aim was true, landing an attack and managing to wound the kraken. The kraken makes it's save. Skadi and postal make it to close combat against the kraken, before it could harm the Greenhorn.

The new whelp, Loken follows his pack mates and throws a spear at the kraken, he misses. Loken moves closer towards the kraken, but was unable to join in the melee. forte seeing Greenhorn try to dash after the first kraken runs charges at the monster, easily getting into close combat. The kraken lands two attacks at forte, and wounding him with one. forte fails his save, but makes his Ld test. forte against all odds, manages to land one attack and wound with one. The kraken fails one wound, and now has two wounds remaining.

Meanwhile.... the second kraken lands two attacks on Skadi, and two attacks on postal. The kraken wounds Skadi with one and postal with two. Skadi fails her save, and does not make her Ld test. She is the first to fall at the gauntlet of Fenris. postal fails his two saves and follows Skadi into the cold sleep. Both waiting for the fleshmaker Dammot to come and wake them after the hunt.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/MightyAlliance-002.jpg

KRAKEN HUNT

FENRIS STORM UPDATE: Brutal Winds: The winds buffet and pummel anyone caught in the open. Non-vehicle units moving in open ground must pass a Strength test or move as though in difficult terrain (One tile).

KRAKEN

Small Kraken6064364104+

:: The Mighty Alliance ::

Move to b4 and throw battleaxe at kraken in a1. Looks like a1. Isolate surround then eat i mean destroy. we dine on calamari tonight. As he saw his prey he banished thoughts of which sauce to use later.... He stalked up with his pack knowing that co-ordinated action would bring these beasts down. We felt the wolf rising up as danger and battle neared. Pulling out one his mighty battleaxes he aimed for the eyes and prayed to russ to guide his strike true. - eyeslikethunder, Grey Hunter (B5)

Brother Russ looking around, his mentor and brother in arms Greybeard Horst projecting a great shadow across the land, on the ice flow a few metres to his right the rest of his makeshift pack the "Mighty Alliance" the young, battle-hungry Khine being held back by the ever-present sturdiness of Brother Eyeslikethunder (his melta purring like the frostwolf's growl on the wind) and Old Dragan his axe hanging loosely at his side, plasma pistol held at the ready... thinking to himself... "we truly are the mightiest pack in Fenris, we shall take the world beast's spawn to pieces and return with triumph and our lost brother... we SHALL bring our prize home!" Onwards Brothers, we are all sons of RUSS and children of Fenris! FENRIS HJOLDA! I'll be moving on the flailing beasty at E1 (move to D5 and when in range throw spear at baby-kraken "Beaky" situated at E1). Youngling Russ lifted his helmless head high, the shaggy green mane swirling in the icy winds... nose to the south he could just scent the beast as it prowled the icy depths of lake Sovngarde... (get this you win a cookie + ale) ...onwards he lurched, axe held in hand, spears wrapped in a tight bundle across his back, the ever present shadow of his Greybeard mentor in the distance, slowly fading as another young whelp of Fenris dares Fate to show it's hand and smite him, or accept his creating a new saga under the vigilant moons and keen wolf's howl... "Onwards my brothers and sisters, for we are children of RUSS and this day the beasts SHALL KNOW FEAR!!!" I have titled our 3 baby-kraken (on The Mighty Alliance hunt) thusly - A1 = Hjaafinger, E1 = Beaky and F9 = Mal-Ghaz. - Russ Brother 92, Blood Claw (D5)

Dragan focused as he catches the scent of the beasts. The young Kraken prowled the land in search of a dinner and he had no intention of being their lunch!

He quickly talked with his packmates using their battle slang and readied his bolter as they moved toward the northwestern beast.

Around him the pack moved in concert like a finely tuned battle unit. For their first hunt together they were exceptionally attuned. It was the kind of kinship that makes him proud of being a "space wolf". [i move to B4 and fired at the A1 beast happy.gif ] - Dragan Stormwolf, Grey Hunter (B4)

Something flashed from the surface of the ice off to his right for only the briefest of moments, but it was enough for the young son of Russ. His gaze snapped in the direction of the source, as it became clear what he had seen. Could it really be that they were in the hunting grounds of the legendary Krakken? A feral grin began to grow across his face, his muscles tensed as they were filled with combat stimuli and his focus was set. The rest of the pack were planning how best to hunt the mighty beast and he had not paid much attention to their words, that was until he heard a certain phrase from the one known as Warhorse. It appeared there were still two more of the beasts further south and what was more he had inadvertently thrown his lot in to keep watch while the others had their fun with the solo fel-horror. Cursing under his breath, he chided himself for getting into a situation like this and made a mental note to correct the failing. Once the plan had been decided on, they each clasped one another in the warriors grasp; all except young Russ brother. It appeared that Khine was not the only one that had not heard the entire conversation and he watched as the other bloodied claw moved towards the south. This was good, this gave him a chance to face the great beast first. Slowly he removed each of the axes from the belt at his waist and clasped the hilts tightly. He began to stalk forward, his focus set firmly on the shadow that moved to the north and a low keening sound began to reverberate in his throat. He did not get far as a thick hand grasped his shoulder and a single phrase halted him in his tracks. "Be patient young one.." I will head towards B4, throw an axe at the A1 beast then i will stand firm. -glares at Russ brother- ... - Khine, Blood Claw (B4)

Not that he had ever been considered swift, the years had not slowed Horst down [he would still get even with Jonas someday for saying they needed a sundial to time his runs]he moved to close the flank between him and his hunting mates. Balancing the quickly made spear, watched, waiting for the opportunity to aim his throw accurately. Too late, he caught himself as he heard Khine's laugh "Caught you smiling Warhorse...." Going to B5. - Warhorse47, Grey Hunter (B5)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: Both eyeslikethunder and Dragan fail at hitting the kraken with their weapons. Khine throws an axe, and it hits firm, wounding the kraken. The kraken fails it's wound and now has two wounds left. Russ Brother 92 moves towards the south, throwing his weapon at the kraken in the corner. He misses.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/GiantElkHunt-002.jpg

KONUNGUR HUNT

FENRIS STORM UPDATE: Brutal Winds: The winds buffet and pummel anyone caught in the open. Non-vehicle units moving in open ground must pass a Strength test or move as though in difficult terrain (One tile).

KONUNGUR

Giant Elk404415395+

This turn is a move and think kind of turn, moving to c-8 with the hopes of being able to spot the prey that is oh so close and make a wicked dive from the cliff top down onto the most unsuspecting prey. May Russ favor me with his skills. If it fits within the rules I would like to move to C-8 and then assault the foolish elk below with said crazed dive.

The smell of the elk thick in his nostrils he grits his teeth against the bitter cold storm and tries to see anything even vaguely close to his pray. It would seem that Russ would have this be a true hunt of skill. He checks his equipment while he has a moment as he moves east trying to find himself a better vantage. Shooting in this wind would be damn near impossible so he flips the activation switch on and then back off making sure his chainsword would work right upon command. While trained in the beautiful art of killing, the hunt was a much different beast, but like during war if your weapon failed you during the hunt in might be the last mistake you make.. His first thought was to perch upon the rocks up here and find his prey with his excellent vision and smell. With the storm pushing so violently across this cliff side he decides to rethink his actions. Maybe it was time to get somewhere lower to find the cover that the elk would be seeking. He was determined to taste blood this day, the wolf still young inside of him demanded it. As he moves closer to the edge he sense his prey is close but with the storm it is impossible to sight it. So he takes a knee and prays to Russ and the All father to give him the sight he needs to track his prey. After a quick prayer he makes the mental judgment necessary for what his mind tells him. He takes two steps back and puts all his newly imbued strength into his legs and dives off the side of the cliff activating the run for his chainsword mid jump. - truesonofruss, Blood Claw (B7) INJURED

I am going to lung towards the elk at F5 and sink my teeth into its throat and my knife into its heart - RabidWullfen, Blood Claw (F5)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: truesonofruss gets the berserk charge ala cliff dive, and lands two blows. But was unable to wound the giant elk. The startled elk manages to attack back, striking at the Blood Claw with two attacks and wounds with one. truesonofruss fails his save, but makes his Ld test and is now fighting on negative modifyers. RabidWullfen berserk charges into the giant elk but was only able to land one attack and wound with that single blow. The giant elk fails it's save and dies at the hands of RabidWullfen.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/TrollHunt-002.jpg

CAVE TROLL HUNT

FENRIS STORM WEATHER UPDATE: N/A

ICE-TROLL

Cave/Ice Troll405513356+

I'll move to the right, keeping my distance and trying to knock down one or two before charging in. As soon as one does come into charge range, I'll go to hand to hand. - Jonas Stromclaw, Grey Hunter (B8)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: not much happened...

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/KodiakHunt-002.jpg

ICE-BEAR HUNT

ICE-BEAR

Kodiak404414393+

I am moving to B3 to see just how good my ranged skill really is...I'll be hurling stones at the Kodiak in D4. - Vantius, Blood Claw (B3)

(...) - Brother Seraphion, Grey Hunter (F4)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: Vantius hurls rocks at the kodiak, but doesn't land any attacks. (NO INSTRUCTIONS FROM BROTHER SERAPHION) Ice-Bears automatically go after idle user. One ice-bear makes it into close combat. I rolled for counter-attack, fails. MoTW roll 3. I've never rolled four snake eyes before! scary. ice-bear, lands three wounds. Brother Seraphion makes his saves. Someone offline message this guy, or he's bear meat in the next few rounds. Not bad for a guy who's running on auto-pilot.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/WulfenHunt-002.jpg

WULFEN HUNT

FENRIS STORM WEATHER UPDATE: N/A

WULFEN

The Wolf-Bitten/Failed Aspirant5054152+1103+

i plan to launch myself at the Wulfen in C1, get in CC as fast as possible. (the Wulfen already has the I advantage, so bumping him from a 5 to 6 doesnt bother me much) - Wolf Lord Kieran, Grey Hunter (C1)

I shall leap diagonally from my lofty position unto the Wulfen at C1. Hopefully we can give the Emperor's mercy quickly so we can plan our next moves. May Russ and Sanguinius watch over us this day. - Zynk Kaladin, Grey Hunter (C1)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: Using the wind to his advantage, Zynk gains an initiative bonus from the wulfen. Zynk strikes simutaniously as the wulfen. While both Kieran and Zynk get into close combat with wulfen. MoTW Zynk lands three attacks, and wounds with three. The wulfen strikes back and lands two blows on Zynk, wounding Zynk with one. Zynk makes his saves. The wulfen makes two saves and fails his last. Zynk gets the first kill and first blood.

http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r35/Azn_MaveriK/Gauntlet/Turn002.jpg

BLACKMANED WOLF HUNT

FENRIS STORM UPDATE: Blinding Flurries: The driving snow obscures all vision. All shooting attacks suffer a 25% penalty to their range, rounding fractions up.

BLACKMANED WOLF

Fenrisian Wolf404414256+

I am going to maneuver from e-6 to E-8 then charge the beasty in F-9 on the diagonal. That way hopefully i can get in a position to subdue the wolf and get myself a pet!! - Loki-LaughingDeath, Blood Claw. (F9) INJURED

I will move to B4 and ready my spear and keep the wind to my left and away from the Blackmane. May Russ guide my spear when it is time. - Brother Crazywolf, Blood Claw. (B4)

Alright, I'll move over to directly above the rightmost wolf, shoot it, and charge in. - Chapter Master Ignis Domus, Grey Hunter. (C9)

ROUND ONE RESULTS: Crazywolf throws a spear at the Blackmaned wolf, hitting it but was unable to wound. CMID throws a spear at another blackmaned wolf. Hits and wounds the wolf, but the wolf manages to make his save. The wolf growls at the man, and darts at him.

Loki throws a rock to stun the wolf, hits but fails to wound the wolf. Loki jumps at the wolf, both manage to land an attack and wound on each other. Loki fails his save, as does the giant wolf. Loki makes his Ld test and manages to stand from the fight.

Meanwhile as an angry wolf dashes after CMID, the two manage to land two attacks onto each other, wounding one another with a single wound. CMID makes his save, while the wolf fails it's save.

--EDIT--

Ready for ROUND TWO. INSTRUCTIONS ARE A GO!!!! Movement, Shooting, Close Combat. You have 48hrs to have your instructions posted. The sooner I have them, the faster I can roll the dice and organize the gauntlet.

[ i'll add some dialogue later but just want to get my instructions in.]

Move to B3, Throw at C2 Krakken, Charge C2.

edit * I think Khine may have just landed an axe in the eye of a krakken >.> ... like a boss..

Wow postal and skaldi down looks like greenhorn was wise to run away from that kraken

I think Khine may have just landed an axe in the eye of a krakken >.> ... like a boss..

Well done keep it up stay tight lets get through this

and remember

concentrated fire

"you want to see a smile Pup? Here's a reason ...." And looses his spear at the kraken......

Shooting for me since i am in range.

ROUND ONE RESULTS: Both eyeslikethunder and Dragan fail at hitting the kraken with their weapons. Khine throws an axe, and it hits firm, wounding the kraken. The kraken fails it's wound and now has two wounds left. Russ Brother 92 moves towards the south, throwing his weapon at the kraken in the corner. He misses.

What happened to warhorse47's shooting at A1?

Wow postal and skaldi down looks like greenhorn was wise to run away from that krake

*sigh* :devil: more like we saved him from his tunnel vision and suffered for it. Our downfall began once the pack had separate targets, not really hunting like a pack of wolves at this run of the gauntlet ahahaha. Which works out well for the tavern brawl, as I now have a legitimate reason to have faced or will face, Greenhorn in a solo duel.

All I can say now is... "tis but a flesh wound. MEEEEDIC!" for shamed, our pack leader hendrik will scold us for this :D good luck to the rest of our pack and to everyone else involved with their hunt.

Wow postal and skaldi down looks like greenhorn was wise to run away from that krake

*sigh* -_- more like we saved him from his tunnel vision and suffered for it. Our downfall began once the pack had separate targets, not really hunting like a pack of wolves at this run of the gauntlet ahahaha. Which works out well for the tavern brawl, as I now have a legitimate reason to have faced or will face, Greenhorn in a solo duel.

All I can say now is... "tis but a flesh wound. MEEEEDIC!" for shamed, our pack leader hendrik will scold us for this :cry: good luck to the rest of our pack and to everyone else involved with their hunt.

Thx Mavgirl

Yup these kraken are too tough for 1 Wolf on his own hopefully his wind will save greenhorn. I have heard it is quite potent after a few vindaloos

good luck with your challenge

"you want to see a smile Pup? Here's a reason ...." And looses his spear at the kraken......

Shooting for me since i am in range.

What happened to warhorse47's shooting at A1?

Oops! I must have forgot to mention it late last night, or early this morning depending how you look at it?! anyway, he shot at it but missed. I guess it's a reason why I forgot to say anything about it. My apologies to Warhorse! by the dice gods you will have glory at this gauntlet wolf brother!

On a side note, I'm noticing that the low BS skill and even the WS of a Blood Claw really makes them suffer here. But at the same time, it keeps things fluffy.

HOOOOWWWWLLLL I watch as my spear goes wide of the target I feel the my wolf spirit's rage rise as two of my packmates fall to the Kracken I vow to avenge them both.

Placing a hand on my wolf tooth necklace I offer a prayer to Russ and the All Father to guide my spear true this time.

Ok lets not miss this time launch a second spear(or whatever i have left to throw) at the Kracken @ D4 and then change it

Hey Mav, I forgot to ask, is there a range limit on our shooting attacks in this?

3 for BC, 4 for GH,Maverik said so a few posts ago

well that didnt work......I'll help forte then loken then us three can take out the top kraken.By Russ I will avenge Skadi and Postal

The pack has harassed the northern beast and draw first blood.

The hunt was well engaged by one member, Russ Brother, was alone... probably not a good idea with two krakens advancing toward you.

Listening to Khine Dragan acknowledge his suggestion. The northern Kraken will be for them.

After aiming at the beast Dragan thrown one of his spears before charging with a mighty howl !

For Russ!

[i move toward the Kraken in C2, throw a spear in the move and [b]charge [/b]it with my axe! It's CC for me this turn. :P ]

Both very valid questions that need to be addressed to everyone involved.

how many squares can throw our spears?

Blood Claw: 3 tiles away in any direction.

Grey Hunter: 4 tiles away in any direction.

Question: Are we allowed to have spears or any other close combat weapons? or is this similar to the brawls where you throw whatever you can find?

spears, an axe, a club, your fist, your fangs, rocks. Pretty much anything that dates back during the middle ages.

Hey Mav, I forgot to ask, is there a range limit on our shooting attacks in this?

3 for BC, 4 for GH,Maverik said so a few posts ago

well that didnt work......I'll help forte then loken then us three can take out the top kraken.By Russ I will avenge Skadi and Postal

Let take these beasts down.

Hm, we appear to have a distinct lack of wolves* remaining. Come in, Crazy, you can get him!

I'll get as close to the Wolf as I can and attempt to charge/chuck things at the one remaining wolf*.

* Certain restrictions may apply. See above for detail.

Archived