+++E Tenebrae Lux+++

...pretty much once this vow is done im going to be starting on my massive pile of terminators. normally they run around as champions because hey i love extra attacks. but in order to model that what should i do? i was thinking some kind of chaos equivalent to the crux terminatus (SP?) buuut i dont have a billion chaos symbols laying around haha. their shoulder pads dont really provide space to put symbols on. except for a few of them that dont have the super fancy pads. anyone have any ideas? im hoping to get about thirty of them done before the deadline but im kinda getting married in two weeks so that just might take priority for a bit :P

Wait a minute! 30(!) Termies in less than a month while getting married at the same time? Are you sure steve? I mean I'd love to see this happening but keep in mind that if you fail your previous vows will be nullified too! Please think of this carefully before you embark on a mega project in the nick of time! If you're comfortable that it will be done, by all means go ahead. If not, break it down to smaller chuncks of say 10 Termies each, and see how it goes.

Now regarding the distinguishing feature of a champion vs. a normal Termie, unfortunatelty there is nothing that's universally accepted. You can go for adding some Chaos bits (although I see how this can be a problem given the surfaces of the model and the limitations in Chaos symbols' supply) or you can do what Fasha suggests:

...You could also have your champions marked with various mutations such as flaming skulls, horns, tails, or other non-game affecting blessings, to show their status. Another idea might be to grant them impressive kills of Imperial Champions, like a dead Emperor's Champion, a murdered chaplain, a Grey Knight Terminator dismembered, or so forth to sho just how much of a champion of Chaos they really are.

Which in effect means to personalise each Termie through modelling. Mutations and over the top trophies seem great and will make for amazing end-result but they are also very time consuming. If you choose to go down this way, I REALLY suggest you break up the vow in chuncks of 10 or even 5 Termies at the time. Alternatively you can go for Khestra's suggestion:

I differentiate Terminator Champions from Terminators by substituting gold where there normally would be bronze. I didn't want to use trophy racks as markers, just a bit too urbane for such a job. Since my Lords and Sorcerers are the only ones that use gold in lieu of bronze in the rest of the army, using gold for Terminator Champs fit with the theme and works out well enough.

Which means differentiation through painting. This is easy if you have one or two Champions in a group of normal Termies so they can stand out. If you go for 30 Champions the distinguishing effects have less of an impact. Still, liberal application of gold might do the trick - but that means you'll have like 30 gold-heavy Termies and maybe you wouldn't like that...

Another suggestion (although it'll chop-off some serious points) is to go for only a percentage of the total Termies as Champions - say 50%. So in a 10-strong squad you'll have 5 Champs that could be distinguished by flamboyant colors and trophies while the rest will provide adequate contrast to the Champs by being painted with more mundane colors. I mean 30 Termies are a huge amount of points Champs or not. Unfortunately trying to claim points from characteristics with non-Universally accepted visual representation throws the ball in your terrain. If you say this Termie is a Champion, I'd better see a Champion... ;)

How the hell are we meant to top 40,000 points when there's only ten of us? ><

If you mean the total number pledged by the Templars, look over at their completion rate. All those pledged points are worthless if they can't even get to within a stone's throw of finishing. If all "ten" of us finish all vows before the end of this thing and max out Chaos's points and no one else manages a comparable number, then we take this thing no matter how many more pledged points there were for those that failed to finish for anyone else. Talk, after all, is cheap.

Sadly, I've got nothing left to paint that wasn't painted once before already, so a follow-on vow from me isn't forthcoming. :D

This ^

Obviously if one assumes 100% completion rate for all forums then the forum that has pledged (and therefore completed) the most points will win. BUT: 1) The loyalist forums currently sport completions rates between 20-40%. 2) The total points pledged can increase through new vows. The Templars are now ahead of the DAs in terms of pledged points. 3) Yes having fewer participants is a disadvantage. But you can do something about it. Vow again!

The fact that Chaos has roughly the same completed points with SWs but at a much higher completion rate of 48% vs. 34% underlines the fact that you use-up more resources to achieve a similar result. That means that new vows need to come at significantly higher point values to even the odds. Of course the SWs could suffer from fatigue and stop completions altogether but this cannot be controlled by you... What you can control is vow and vow agian - preferably larger vows...

I have... one kitbash left. Hey, what would you guys call this guy?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/ChaosGuy.jpg

Sick? :lol:

note that you have to declare completion to your previous vow before you submit Mr. Sick...

Good luck guys - Chaos is puuting up a great fight irrespective of what their numbers suggest! Keep it up!

hmm i think the gold heavy would work, i can paint the whole shoulder pad gold instead of gold trim and red insides. and i can obviously have all the trim gold. and i was already planning on doing it in chunks. theres no telling how fast ill be able to do them in the future. but 30 is what im shooting for.

well ill worry about that later cause i just found some havocs and chosen in my box and a few characters so its 27 models for 1600ish points so i think ill do that first and if there is time ill do those terminators

... Oops. I forgot to post it.

Vow Complete;

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/SorLor004.jpghttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/IK%20and%2040K/My%20Projects/SorLor005.jpg

Sorcerer and Lord.

I now pledge,

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/Kag...ts/ChaosGuy.jpg

A Chaos Lord with Daemon Weapon, Plasma Pistol, Personal Icon and Combi-Flamer! (The 'model complete' image will have an aspect that shows the holstered pistol more clearly, and the sword on his backpack is the Personal Icon). His name is Mishta Shick and he gloriously wields the Wonky Spear, a daemon weapon bound with a Greater Fury. He brings a total of 155 points to the vow.

Now I just have to work out what colour to paint him, since I'm bored of Mordian Blue and Incubi Darkness!

@furyou miko i really like the way your models are goin ie fallen angel :lol: its proper gamer models like these that i love (btw this is no disrepect to anyone else on this subforum, just that i am talking about furyou miko's models in particular at this time of typing) as they show decent level to detail. fyi, i think mishta shik (or whatever you wanna call him) should have the middle name avinit. proper chaos name me thinks (plus its late and i'm tired). good luck with your new vow though and keep the chaos star high B)

:cuss Well, with the exception of Mishta Avinit Shick (mister having it sick? :) Well, I was born in Essex...)... well, no, including him, I never really thought of them as Fallen. In my head they were wizard robes. ;) Also, because I used scavenged parts and don't really go for loyalist marines much, I had no idea that the swords was a DAngel thing - I thought Shick's backpack was from the BT sprues. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/Smilies/sweatdroplaugh.gif

Shick is a Fallen Angel, though (apparently the backpack makes him nothing else, despite the aspergillium!), so I guess that means he'll have green armour... of course, his shoulder-pad determines the colour of his robes. Now to figure out how to make red and green not look horrendous!

:rolleyes: Well, with the exception of Mishta Avinit Shick (mister having it sick? :P Well, I was born in Essex...)... well, no, including him, I never really thought of them as Fallen. In my head they were wizard robes. :D Also, because I used scavenged parts and don't really go for loyalist marines much, I had no idea that the swords was a DAngel thing - I thought Shick's backpack was from the BT sprues. http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v205/KaguraHakubi/Smilies/sweatdroplaugh.gif

Shick is a Fallen Angel, though (apparently the backpack makes him nothing else, despite the aspergillium!), so I guess that means he'll have green armour... of course, his shoulder-pad determines the colour of his robes. Now to figure out how to make red and green not look horrendous!

lol, either Avinit, or Xeption Eli, either can work with Shick. with regards to colour scheme for a fallen angel, i'd go for black as his armour colour, but then thats me as i prefer to think of the fallen as pre-heresy dark angels, although there are a couple of threads that debate the colour of pre-heresy DA armour colour. good luck with it and looking forward to the end result :D

Does anyone know what the Dark Mechanicum livery is? (he has a techmarine shoulder pad).

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Dark_Mechanicum#.UAqTX7QQvSg

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Dark_Mechanicus

these are probably your best bits as well as mechanicum from the HH series. i did my lord as a fallen angel techmarine (pic is earlier in this thread although is a bit blurry), and did him in techmarine red mostly as there isn't really a standard DM scheme. hope this helps and good luck furyou.

Alright, so there is a hiccup with my vow. I have a choice between two Terminator arms, but one of them has a heavy flamer and the other an autocannon (not a reaper autocannon either). I really like how the autocannon sits on the model, but the heavy flamer could be mistaken for a regular twin-linked bolter. I really want to just give him the autocannon, but there are two problems with it, the first being that I'd need two more terminators or break the unit in half and the second is that I did not vow it initially. How should I proceed here as the more I look at it, the more I like the autocannon arm?

http://s12.postimage.org/gjx1h9kcd/Choices.jpg

Put the autocannon arm and don't claim the points. Make it a "count-as" twin linked bolter. That's what cat ate right?

That way you get to arm him with your weapon of preference (and probably use it as such in futurec games) while having vow untouched by the cat assault! what do you think?

Vow Complete!

here are the demons

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/s720x720/545507_10151100458019467_1627406277_n.jpg

and here is what ive done for the competition so far

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/425085_10151100458134467_420950329_n.jpg

aaaaand my next vow 1454 points of chaosy goodness including mortarion himself! list is as follows

typhus 225

ahriman 250

lord (mortarion) 170

termi

nurgle

demon weapon

combi melta

lord 165

termi

nurgle

demon weapon

lord 170

lord

nurgle

bike

power sword

plasma pistol

3 terminators 240

chosen

reaper

2 combi meltas

2 fist 1 chain

nurgle

3 bikers 234

champ

fist, plasma pistol

2 plasma gun

nurgle

here is da picture

http://sphotos-b.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash4/s720x720/598_10151100458204467_231390885_n.jpg

@ steve shields: Congratulations for completing your vow! Although I cannot see pics atm (am at work) I'm sure you've done a great job. I'll have a look at it later today... Now regarding your new vow, how are you going to distiguish the "Chosen" ability for your termies? I say leave it out and adjust the total points accordingly unless you have a really good idea on how to represent it. Let me know either way.

@ Furyou Miko: You have not included Mishta Avinit Shick's total points value. Please edit your vow to include it - thx!

Well, following the recent completions, Chaos is now second guys with more than 13k pts! Well done to all!!!

Am I allowed to make a third vow? I'm at work so I can't really sift back through the thread right now...

ANYWAY! If I may, I'd like to do this:

I vow to complete seven counts-as Khorne Berzerkers and a Skull Champion with Power Sword and Melta Bomb for a total of 203 points by the 10th of August.

WIP LINK

Thank you for your consideration. ^_^

Od.

E TENEBRAE LUX – 10th WEEK UPDATE

This was a more subdued week with completions at the 8.8k mark. The characteristics of this week were the further increase of the average completion rate to 36% from 32% last week that corresponds to 76k points(!) and the still hefty (although diminishing) amount of 6.7k worth of new vows. The total points pledged so far stand at almost 214k. A point of particular interest is that this is the fist week since the beginning of the ETL that the Space Wolves did not report a completion!

So week 10 is now behind us and just three more weeks to go! Plan your next steps carefully, because an unfinished vow could have multiplying effect as it will nullify all previous work too. If you are uncertain of your time, or your next vow depends on the speed of the postal agencies I say play it safe and be conservative! In the end is imminent!

Now I would like to repeat some technicalities about the closing that I mentioned last week because they are important:

On August 15th at 22:00 GMT the ETL ends. That means that by the B&C clock any completions that are submitted after that time will not count towards the total points of your faction. Please make everybody’s life easier and avoid submitting in the nick of time – a discarded completion for just a minute could create unnecessary aggravation and leave people with a sour taste from what should be an enjoyable event. I plan to enforce the firm deadline so yes, 22:01 submissions will be discarded.

The final results will be announced on Sunday, August 19th at the latest so I will have time to process all the results, double check everything and present them in an esthetically pleasing manner. This is a big event guys so I will need some time to make sure things are in order. Just a small request: The logistics of ETL are very demanding, so if you guys cross check your status in the tables occasionally and find something that doesn’t match please bring it to my attention so I’ll act on it.

So here’s how things look at the end of week 10:

E TENEBRAE LUX – 10TH WEEK UPDATE
Black Templars 102 41,811 410 18,255 44%
Blood Angels 64 31,778 497 9,011 28%
Dark Angels 86 43,057 501 10,815 25%
Codex Space Marines 56 33,792 603 9,210 27%
Space Wolves 48 32,637 680 11,160 34%
Chaos 56 24,476 437 13,106 54%
Ordos Inquisition 22 6,196 282 4,548 73%
Total 434 213,747 493 76,105 36%
Index Astartes 29 16,405 566 6,775 41%
Liber Astartes 15 9,818 655 1,550 16%
Ultramarines 12 7,569 631 885 12%

Comments:

The Dark Angels have still the lowest completion rate at 25% but are gaining significant momentum. They will still need some large vow completions to propel their position forward but things are promising. If the momentum builds up further we are looking at a magnificent turn around that will send shock waves across all forums! With 2.5k completed this week and some indications of even better performance next week I think we’re in the right path! So with 10.8k pts (less than 400pts behind the Wolves) but still in the 4th position, do we have what it takes to turn this around?

The Wolves did not report a completion for the fist time since the beginning of the ETL! Wow. What could that mean? Out of steam? Fatigue? Or just coincidence and next week we’ll see two weeks’ worth of completions? Truth being said with an average burden of more than 900pts per participant they have put themselves in a very challenging position. Still they manage to maintain 3rd position with no completions! But now the distance to the second position has increased by 2k. In all fairness, the Wolves should aim at completion rates well into the 40s to shake up things – difficult but achievable!

Blood Angels have managed to make some completions to keep them in the game, surpassing the 9k mark. However the relatively small points/vow ratio means that their completion rate should be much higher than average and at the moment is almost 10 percentage points lower. In principle they should be going the Chaos way, i.e. having among the highest completion rates to make up for their low points. As things stand now, they’ll require above 55% completion rate to beat the Templars. Difficult? Yes! Impossible? No! Just look at Chaos!

Black Templars seem unstoppable! At a record 18k worth of completions and a 44% completion rate they have put enough distance between them and the rest of the forums to feel relatively safe. Despite their leading position, despite their considerable difference with the rest, they still reported the largest amount of completions this week at 2.6k! Frankly, they DO look like the favorites to win the ETL as they still have a large pool of incomplete vows to draw from. So let’s see as the sands of time draw all of us to the inevitable end, will they manage to maintain their position and become the heroes of E TENEBRAE LUX? Let’s see…

Codex Forums are definitely responding to the challenge adding more the 0.5k points this week. Although they have 9.2k pts completed so far (more than the BAs) the certainly need to do more. There are some very serious vows out there with tons of points and I believe (hope) that after 10 weeks some of them will be nearing completion. You guys really need to start putting some serious pts forward. To put it simply, you need the samet amount of points that you’ve completed so far just to reach the BTs current levels. Or something in the order of 55% completion rate. Good luck!

Chaos is second overall with more than 13k completed pts and a monstrous 54% completion rate. They do not have a high number of participants. They do not have a high number of total points pledged. What they do have is the tenacity and the drive to complete their vows consistently. Of course they have the Dark Pantheon to aid them but still! An excellent performance guys (and gals) keep it up!

Ordos Inquisition did not report any completions this week. They’ve done it before but with a completion rate of 73% this seems normal to me. It’ll be great to see you guys driving for a cool 100% but no rush – none has shown the kind of commitment you have!

Until the next weekly update, farewell and good luck to all!

Am I allowed to make a third vow? I'm at work so I can't really sift back through the thread right now...

ANYWAY! If I may, I'd like to do this:

I vow to complete seven counts-as Khorne Berzerkers and a Skull Champion with Power Sword and Melta Bomb for a total of 203 points by the 10th of August.

WIP LINK

Thank you for your consideration. B)

Od.

Yes of course you are allowed! I'm updating the dfront table accordingly!

Progress has been very slow for me this last week due to actual life getting busy. I still plan to do whatever it takes to get this last shot in, but sadly, it's likely to be hard just to make it in, let alone put in another vow that's any kind of big. I hope everyone else is at least closing in on a finish since we have less than a month to go. 90+ completion precentage is enough to brag about even if we are outnumbered 3 to 1 by Black Templars.

I made a huge mistake, I have decided that I add for my army, not for the contest additional models and now, I have misplaced some models from the original Seven for those I add during the Process. Surely I put a Plasma Gun to different model that I decided on the beginning. New model I started to work on during the contest, however the model is not on the original "contest" photo.

So I fullfill my duty to the chaos gods... VOW COMPLETED - sort of.... because Tzeench changer of ways lead my hand in the picking the models...

I am still waiting for better photos from my brothers wife, but these are my finals... If the judge decide I am realy finished

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...=0#entry3131932

Right, you said 6 Fallen (CSM) and an Aspiring Champion. I counted 6 CSM and an Aspiring Champion (plus some other CSM to boot - brill btw :D ). What is the problem? Don't they add up to the total that you promised?

I'm accepting your completion - it is not clear to me what the problem is... If there is a problem with the points let me know.

Archived