+++E Tenebrae Lux+++

As to what the Blood God thinks of my stance, Captain Semper, he registers no complaints, so long as the blood flows. He requires no prayers, either, merely skulls. :blink:

True enough... What I meant though was that you should stop scaring him. There must be some authority to protect wildlife and Chaos Gods from abuse... :lol:

Regardless, what Khestra said should be a bit alarming - i.e. that he has the biggest vow in the Chaos forum. Really guys? 700-odd points? This is Chaos, the land of crazy conversions and outregeous painting! You have to do better than that!

I think you can make more and bigger vows - currently you guys have the lowest points/vow ratio at 286pts. Now you really need to get it above 400 to have a fighting chance and you also need to achieve this by bringing in new participants - the current 23 is marginally better than the Wolves (that sport a monstrous points/vow of 778!!!) but woefully behind any given loyalist...

For the Dark Gods!

Sorry but you have to think about the fact that many of us already have what we need and the current codex doesn't really inspire us to expand our forces. Also with a new codex and boxed set imminent, I think most people are just waiting before they buy something more.

I might be able to build a few more marines out of some spare parts after my current little vow, but I really refuse to buy more boxes before the new codex. You can make additions to your vow after the 15th of june, right?

I might be able to build a few more marines out of some spare parts after my current little vow, but I really refuse to buy more boxes before the new codex. You can make additions to your vow after the 15th of june, right?

Yes you can!

I realize that rumors indicate that a new Codex is forthcoming and that Chaos could be included in the starter box. We have the exact same rumors in the DA forum. Codex imminent and DAs could be in the new boxed set. Check out the difference in vows.

Still what you say has merit. But since we don't know the exact day of the rumored releases (or if they are happening at all for that matter) I'd say get in pole position in terms of commitments and if the new stuff arrives in time you step up your point values to your liking. But if you do not commit now (i.e. before June 15th) you run the risk to have brand new minis and huge appetite to paint but Chaos forum could not be aided from that... So maybe small first vows is the way to go at this point -but think of the flux of sizeable second vows, should new Chaos releases appear on the shelves! :)

In fact if you do get a large number of paricipants with small first vows and then you get new releases during the life of the ETL it could be the biggest reversal of fortune in recorded history! hahahaha :lol:

“I sword brethren answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete A Chaos Sorceror (counts as Arhiman), a Raptor Lord (mark of khorne, power fist, twin linked bolter and jump pack) and 5 Raptors (2 meltaguns, twin lightning claw champion) from Codex: Chaos Space Marines of total value 575 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the 11th Iron Warriors Seige Company and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end”

i may be able to add to that depending on the impending rumours, IRON WITHIN, IRON WITHOUT!

any update can be found here.

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/index.p...howtopic=252164

MMh...might as well join in.

“I sword brethren answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete A Chaos SKullraider(Khârn's personal LR), two Khornfilers and a Chaos Stormeagle from Codex: Chaos Space Marines of total value 775 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the World Eaters and the Lord of Skulls and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end”

I will use this thread; Slayer's World Eaters & deamons Horde

MMh...might as well join in.

“I sword brethren answer the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete A Chaos SKullraider(Khârn's personal LR), two Khornfilers and a Chaos Stormeagle from Codex: Chaos Space Marines of total value 775 points on or before August 15. Success will bring eternal glory to the World Eaters and the Lord of Skulls and failure will doom me to bear the sign of damnation until the year-end”

I will use this thread; Slayer's World Eaters & deamons Horde

Joining in another brother's name are we? How Chaotic. ;)

Umm... You mean "I Slayer le Boucher answer..." ;)

Few points:

Skullraider = fine

Khornefilers = fine (assuming they are "count as" Defilers with legal load-outs)

Chaos Stormeagle = not so sure

I'm not familiar with the Stormeagle special rules - does it specifically say that it can be used in a Chaos list in the 40k context? Or is it an Apocalypse-only item? And aren't the rules experimental at the moment?

I suggest, in order to keep the competition level for everybody, withdraw the Stormeagle from the vow's points total and enter it as an "out of competition" item. There is much honor to be gained by compelting out-of competition items! ;)

Oops... got lazy and copy-paste the sentence, and totally forgot to change the name... :)

And yeah the stormeagle can be used in a chaos army as a FA choice in 40k games, but if you do wish i will withdraw it and add something else, i got a load of stuff who needs to be finished anyway..., a chaos Reaver titan or a Skullhawk(thunderhawk) is out of the question i guess? :cuss ...

And Khornfilers are Defilers with 4 CCW's, just cooler to call them khornfilers.

Oops... got lazy and copy-paste the sentence, and totally forgot to change the name... :)

And yeah the stormeagle can be used in a chaos army as a FA choice in 40k games, but if you do wish i will withdraw it and add something else, i got a load of stuff who needs to be finished anyway..., a chaos Reaver titan or a Skullhawk(thunderhawk) is out of the question i guess? :) ...

And Khornfilers are Defilers with 4 CCW's, just cooler to call them khornfilers.

I'll revert. :)

This is not good...I already have four new vows getting ready on the conversion area of my desk...and I haven't even started to put paint on the one I have listed yet... :D

My amount of spare parts and old abandoned projects is immense... :jaw:

A few questions regarding follow up vows; can we add to units we already started. For instance, say I wish to add a meltagun to my Imperial Fists squad, can I include in a follow up vow, "a meltagun armed Chaos Marine for previously completed vow of Imperial Fists squad" as a legitimate 25 point addition? Likewise say I complete a vehicle and later add a swappable options for a pintle mounted combi-weapon and havoc launchers? Can I include the more expensive of those upgrades as part of the follow up vow as well? Finally, I own an old Chaos Marine armed with a multi-melta that I use as a meltagun. He is getting painted as an Imperial Fist soon, so can I include him as my meltagunner? The 25 points is not a huge issue, but it would be nice to get credit for him.

The model in question:

http://s13.postimage.org/iauv1tnrb/DSC01597.jpg

A few questions regarding follow up vows; can we add to units we already started. For instance, say I wish to add a meltagun to my Imperial Fists squad, can I include in a follow up vow, "a meltagun armed Chaos Marine for previously completed vow of Imperial Fists squad" as a legitimate 25 point addition?

No. Each vow should be a self-contained legal unit from you codex of choice (Chaos in this case). However what you can do until June 15th is to amend and modify your vow. So a vow containing a squad of 5 Chaos marines can be amended to a squad of 6 marines - one of which with melta. However, for the sake of fair play, I'd say avoid painting 5 minis then amend your vow for another one and then for another and so on... That'll be totally against the spirit of the rule. Usually amendments are newwhole units but the occasional addition to an already pledged unit is also allowed. Just don't make a habit of the latter! :)

Likewise say I complete a vehicle and later add a swappable options for a pintle mounted combi-weapon and havoc launchers? Can I include the more expensive of those upgrades as part of the follow up vow as well?

Again no. The vows should be self-contained units. No points for magnetized bits, swappable bits or not glued bits. It's like building an army list for a game. It's either a Predator or a Rhino - can't be both. When you declare your vow complete, no more points can be added to that. So choose the most expensive option and vow for it. :)

Finally, I own an old Chaos Marine armed with a multi-melta that I use as a meltagun. He is getting painted as an Imperial Fist soon, so can I include him as my meltagunner? The 25 points is not a huge issue, but it would be nice to get credit for him.

Yes you can. Also kudos for salvaging and respecting such old minis. Look fwd to see him painted in your Dornian Heresy style! ;)

@ Slayer le Boucher: Reagrding the Stormeagle you have the go ahead! :) Make it suitably Chaosy!!! (really excited to see how this turns out). I'm updating the front table with your vow!

Fair enough on the amended vow bit. I had forgotten the meltagunner and I've already finished seven bolters, an icon, and champion then went, "oh I should add this guy too." Please, tack on a meltagun armed Imperial Fist to my vow for a total of elven models in the squad and an additional 25 points.

Sadly, in other news, my Space Wolf Berserkers are not going to be as great as I hoped, although I am nearly done with them. The 30 Khorne Berserkers I got second hand are not coming apart so they will merely be gray Berserkers with a few Space Wolf transfers and ornaments here and there. If I add a fourth and fifth squad, then I'll mix the Khorne Berserker and Space Wolf boxes like I planned to here for them.

Good news is I've already gathered much of my follow up vow and will snap a few pictures so I can dive right in once the last bit of my current vow is complete. I am kind of excited on the Rhino as I can really go all out with the ivy pattern. Plus there will be some non-Dornian Heresy stuff in the form of Iron Warriors too!

Fair enough on the amended vow bit. I had forgotten the meltagunner and I've already finished seven bolters, an icon, and champion then went, "oh I should add this guy too." Please, tack on a meltagun armed Imperial Fist to my vow for a total of elven models in the squad and an additional 25 points.

Sadly, in other news, my Space Wolf Berserkers are not going to be as great as I hoped, although I am nearly done with them. The 30 Khorne Berserkers I got second hand are not coming apart so they will merely be gray Berserkers with a few Space Wolf transfers and ornaments here and there. If I add a fourth and fifth squad, then I'll mix the Khorne Berserker and Space Wolf boxes like I planned to here for them.

Good news is I've already gathered much of my follow up vow and will snap a few pictures so I can dive right in once the last bit of my current vow is complete. I am kind of excited on the Rhino as I can really go all out with the ivy pattern. Plus there will be some non-Dornian Heresy stuff in the form of Iron Warriors too!

OK, table updated! Good luck!

I feel like such a scrub with one of the lower vow totals and people vowing upwards of 1k points. But as scrubby as it may be, I have a certain standard that I am compelled to paint to that just doesn't permit me to paint -that- fast.

Self pity aside, I fully intend to renew my vow for more points in short order. I actually went low to just estimate my paint speed over time (no thanks to a new found interest in World of Tanks), and I hope that in the end I will actually be able to contribute quite a bit towards the inevitable win that chaos has coming. (totally obvious) Be sure I won't let you down, my brothers!

I feel like such a scrub with one of the lower vow totals and people vowing upwards of 1k points. But as scrubby as it may be, I have a certain standard that I am compelled to paint to that just doesn't permit me to paint -that- fast.

Self pity aside, I fully intend to renew my vow for more points in short order. I actually went low to just estimate my paint speed over time (no thanks to a new found interest in World of Tanks), and I hope that in the end I will actually be able to contribute quite a bit towards the inevitable win that chaos has coming. (totally obvious) Be sure I won't let you down, my brothers!

You should not feel bad at all. E TENEBRAE LUX is structured so that all entrants can participate with as much or as little as they desire. You want to go for a single mini entry? Go right ahead! All Codices have such entries and is absolutely, ABSOLUTELY, legit to vow one of them! Remember, the ETL will be over in August but you have to live with your minis much longer than that, so you'd better be happy with them. I'd rather you see a nicely painted mini in a year from now and remember the ETL fondly ;) rather than see a crappy painted squad and think: "look what ETL made me do! :lol:". You will receive an "I made it" banner if you complete your vow, regardless of whether your forum becomes champion or not. And who's to say your entry will not be the one that will tip the balance and make Chaos champions? ;)

So paint what you like! (within the rules) :(

Vow complete.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/bloodlife72/chosen1.jpg

A rough picture, but I'll post better pictures in my WIP thread later.. when I get around to taking a bunch of good ones. The color even looks kinda icky, but at least you can see that my wife is making cookies in the background. I look forward to those.

Now for the obligatory bonus to eternal glory that I seek: I shall continue to crush the morale of mine foe with an extension of my vow to include the following.

http://i165.photobucket.com/albums/u75/bloodlife72/vowextended.jpg

2 (conversion) obliterators 150 points

I, zyl-, rise above the challenge of the Unforgiven and vow to complete the above mentioned and pictured from Codex: Chaos Space Marines of total value 150 points on or before August 15. Success will bring even greater glory to Rav'vir's Thrall, while failure is not even anticipated.

E TENEBRAE LUX – 3rd WEEK UPDATE

http://fortressofunforgiven.homestead.com/DA_Challenge_vs_Chaos.jpg

Well, this is the conclusion of the third week of E TENEBRAE LUX! So far all forums combined have vowed in excess of 100k points between them with almost 200 participants so far. We’ve also seen some vows getting completed already, but it’s still very early in the challenge to draw any meaningful conclusions. Now that we enter the last week before the gates are closed I would like to alert people to that fact. So:

THIS IS THE LAST WEEK FOR NEW ENTRANTS! AFTER THAT THE TEAMS OF EACH FORUM WILL BE SET – NO NEW REINFORCEMENTS WILL BE ALLOWED!

This is very important guys. The more people each forum has in its arsenal the higher the chances of victory! Even if individual people complete tons of points, ultimately all of us have limitations stemming from real life obligations, money, and drive/morale reserves… And when one might think has done his bit for his faction after say, three vows and 1,200 points, another guy from another forum that has kept silent all this time might tip the balance with a single mini entry of 140 pts… :) Trust me, it will happen! :)

So join the ranks now while new entrants are still allowed, even with small vows – just to make sure you will be there when your Chapter/Legion/Warband calls for you!!!

Another significant topic I’d like to raise:

ALL THREE “CODEX: SPACE MARINE” SUB-FORUMS (IA, LA, UM) WILL BE TREATED AS ONE WHERE TOTAL POINTS ARE CONCERNED. IN EFFECT THEY WILL BECOME ONE FACTION FOR THE PURPOSES OF THIS CHALLENGE

How will this work? First of all let me say that each forum will retain its standalone identity and I will continue to monitor their progress individually. This way the relative weight of each C:SM sub-forum within the new structure will be immediately visible and honor will go where it’s due! The total points of each C:SM sub- forum will be added together in each weekly report (pretty much as is the case now) and it is this amount of points the other forums must compete against. In case they win, all participants that have completed their vows successfully from all three sub-forums will earn the right to carry the badge of the E TENEBRAE LUX Champion!

I believe this is the fairest way to show how strong the Codex: Space Marines is within the B&C community. It will also give a real fighting chance to IA, LA and UMs to win this – and probably increase participation! ;)

So with no further ado here are the 3rd Week standings:

E TENEBRAE LUX – WEEK 3
Black Templars 26 33 14,171 429
Blood Angels 33 35 16,736 478
Dark Angels 44 46 24,016 522
Codex Space Marines 36 37 19,822 551
Space Wolves 23 24 17,792 741
Chaos 25 26 8,097 311
Ordos Inquisition 11 13 4,146 319
Total 198 214 104,780 529
Index Astartes 17 18 7,430 413
Liber Astartes 9 9 6,438 715
Ultramarines 10 10 5,954 595

Please note that following the deadline of June 15th the above table will also start to show completed points per faction for easier track record. Until then the amount of completed points will be mentioned in each forum’s individual comment below:

Comments:

The Dark Angels retain first position in pledged vows for the 3rd week running, increasing their point-count by 30%. The most important feat though was the increase of vows vs. the second largest forum (Codex: Space Marines) from 4 last week to 9 this week. They also had the first couple of small completions totaling 235pts. So far Dark Angels appear to be in the best position overall: more vows, more total points, average point/vow! The latter is important as it shows that their effort is not overly reliant to super-vows but risk is more spread out.

The Wolves made an even more frantic effort in increasing their point total (+28% w-o-w) and a small amout of completions of 275. However they continue to suffer from relatively low numbers and this is reflected in their monstrous points/vow ratio of 741!!! The means their reliance to super-vows is high and unless they build up their numbers (more vows that is) they run a serious risk of running out of options in the final stages of the Challenge. So c’mon Space Wolves, bring in the full might of the Rout before it’s too late! Remember: one week to go before the gates close!

Blood Angels also increased their point-total by a substantial 27% this week and sport a respectable 33 participants. They also managed to complete a few more points compared to the DAs and the SWs at 1,565. However if they want to challenge the Dark Angels in the long term (this is a challenge, remember?) they have to do more on the new entrants front. They are in a good position right now but this last week would be critical in order to close the difference. What they need is add new vows that will bring their total points/vow ratio closer to the average that currently stands at 550. So any new vow (by new I mean totally new not renewed) should come at above their current average of 478. No need for super-vows here, anything in the 500-600pts bracket will do! You guys stand a good chance to win this – don’t run out of steam now!!!

Black Templars have gone into a completion frenzy! With 7 completions (some in their fourth vow already) they managed 1,995pts this week. Good, I hear you say. Well, not really... We are still in the phase where forming the final teams is more important than scoring completions and on this front the Black Templars seem to have run out of steam. With only 2 more new vows this week and the total of pledged points increasing only 22% (mostly on renewals of existing participants) the BTs are in a precarious position. Having their average point/vow slip by 26 points (the only forum where the size of the average vow declined w-o-w) does not help much either as they now face the real possibility to be left behind. Unless you guys can continue to complete vows with your current rate until mid August, you’ll really need to bring in new blood! Think of it. 7 completions produced a bit less than 2k pts. The BAs with only 3 managed almost 1.6k. Food for thought.

Codex Forums have the second largest amount of vows and points pledged so far. The biggest contribution is made by the Index Astartes forum (37% of total points vowed) and the smallest by the Ultramarines forum (30% of total points vowed). More interestingly their avearge vow is virtually spot-on the average of the whole Challenge which means the Codex forums are not overly reliant to few super-vows but (much like the DAs) have diversified their risk. They sport only 85pts completed so far but this early on this is of secondary importance. However adding vows in the last week is of crucial importance in you guys want to remain on top! A moment of laxity... you know how it goes...

Chaos is seriously behind in total points, number of vows and size of average vow (the latter is the lowest in the challenge currently). I think that the dated CSM range combined with recent rumors of imminent release of the new Codex (and minis) is making people less inclined to commit big at this time. The answer to that is: commit small!!! Forget about average points or indeed total points – just focus on total vows – that way you will have an army of painters standing by. What do you have to lose? To paint an old style single mini? A small basic squad? Nothing important. But if your new Codex is released within the life-time of E TENEBRAE LUX then you will be able to vow again – this time with tons of stuff – reversing the fortunes of war when the rest of the forums least expect it. But for this to work you need the adequate resources i.e. manpower! If you do not have the number of vows, come what may, you will never threaten the leading forums. So... FOR THE DARK GODS!!!

Ordos Inquisition have increased their points by 61% (!) the highest among all forums although admittedly from a low base. Still they managed to have good representation for both GK AND SoBs despite the expensive in $ terms nature of the latter. Keep going guys – your lonely path to the Emperor’s light is an inspiration to all!!!

Still no Titans yet...

Overall, at the end ot the 3rd week of the Challenge we have almost 200 participants and 105k points pledged! This is great guys. Now remember:

THIS IS THE LAST WEEK FOR NEW ENTRANTS! IT’S NOW OR NEVER

Good luck to all!

I ordered a hell blade fighter. Should be here towards the end of the month. Its a 40k piece in imp armour apoc 2. Can i add that when it arrives?

Actualy there were question about the vow rules, which i Can not find now. It was something that you can add to your initial vow anytime after you made the first one, Isnt it? EDIT: Find the answer elsewhere, so I understand now ^_^

If I will be ahead of schedule I will include my new First Claw.

Hope the Czech Post send me ordered bits on time. And I get my hands on Slaneesh ChSM Shoulder Pad, which I dit don find in any of the bits shops.

Just to clarify, the idea is to make subsequent vows NOT modifying the original vow. Once you complete your initial vow you can then make another vow and so on. Now there is the possibility to make alterations to your initial vow until June 15th but after that no changes will be allowed. Once you finish your vow you can always make a new one.

REMEMBER: If you fail to complete a subsequent vow ALL previous vows are nullified i.e. they count for nothing. Make sure you are confident when you raise the stakes!

Hope the above helps.

Archived