The Eagles Spire - Semper Fidelis Eagles Eternal

Regarding airbrushes, buy the cheapest double-action, internal mix, gravity feed airbrush you can find, and then get a decent compressor.  You'll wish you did it years ago.

Drop pods can certainly contain combat squads, and a full-size squad can even split into combat squads when it exits the pod, so whatever you were told, it was wrong, and you probably had the right idea.

How are you ruining brushes when painting white?

The highlights look great on the blue!  Not too fine and not too bold, just right.

Wooooowhooooooo!!!!!! 500 posts (this being the five hundred and first)

I'll point out there was one more post on the previous page before I start answering incarnus's comments

What exactly would be the most productive uses for an airbrush?

Oh I know I was right, that guys an old rules lawer who saps the fun out of the game for me. (I also noticed a multitude of painting errors on his models that made me feel better about myself)

I really don't know how I'm ruining brushes, but it's not just white. I think my technique is very poor/distructive. This leads to it taking longer and using more paint to get the same job done. I've tried reading books an watching videos but I think it's one of those things that I need someone to watch and identify.

There's also a small highlight on the red, I only went one shade with it as I didn't want it to be the main focus. There's two for the blue.

I used to have a tutorial, but not on this thread. What in particular would you like it on?

A few months ago I opened the hanger doors of the eagle spire to any and all who would like to make some Eagles Eternal, or successor chapters. So feel free, you can even post them here if you like.

Thanks for the comments, I'll continue doing that to the rest of them. And I'll get the colors an such up tomorrow at some point.

Well if you could just post what you to make your colour scheme that would be nice as I think I will make an Eagles Eternal armylaugh.png

Paint recipe's

•Gold

-Undercoat black, then tin bits

-wash chestnut ink

-light covering of 1:1 tin bits/ shining gold

-brush on shining gold

-Highlight with a shining gold/ mitheral silver mix

•Urban basing

-base fortress gray

-wash black

- heavy drybrush black

-drybrush eshin gray

-drybrush dawnstone

-drybrush fortress gray?

-light drybrush white

-black wash on rubble

•purity seals

-black

-coat in beastial brown

-drybrush graveyard earth

-drybrush bleached bone

-highlight white

-black letters

•Grenades

-Black

-Catachan Green

-Dark Angels Green

-Snot Green

•hazard stripes (yellow)

-averland sunset base

-nulin oil shade/ agrax earthshade

-glaze yriel yellow

-flash gitz yellow highlight glaze

•glass screens

-black

-black / dark angel green 1-2 glaze

-dark angle green glaze at an angle

-dark angel / snot green 1-1

-snot green

-snot green with bit of white

-single white dot in corner

---Blue

Black base

Kantor blue or regal blue

Altdorf guard blue edge highlight

Hoelth blue edge

--Red

Mephiston red base

Evil sunz scarlet layer

Wild rider red edge

Yellow

Aver land sunset base

Yriel yellow "glaze effect"

Flash gitz yellow "glaze/edge"

White

Dawnstone / ulthuan gray mix

Ulthuan grey

White scar edge

That's all the colors I use, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

It's my goal to one day have these guys as well known as an official chapter. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys, I have a person who has been posting on my business FB page about custom shoulder pads. I mentioned this group and that you guys may be interested in EGA pads. he can get the licensing to make them from the corps for 1 year for $25-$50. if the interest I high enough, he will get the licensing. if you guys are interested in this, contact him on FB at https://www.facebook.com/crothstein

let him know that Kris from Leatherneck Wargaming directed you so he knows

Sorry it took me a month to get back to this, I've been more focused on Infinity than 40k lately (blasphemy, I know).

There seems to be a lot of reticence in the hobby community regarding airbrushes.  However I would say that an airbrush is an essential tool in the toolbox of any serious painter.

Earlier in this thread, you mentioned having problems priming models.  I expect what you experienced was frosting, where the paint gets all fuzzy and thick.  This can be caused by any number of environmental conditions and there is vast variability between different spray paint brands, and even between different colors from the same brand.  For example, Army Painter black spray is, in my experience, pratically foolproof, whereas some other colors (I used yellow, red, white, and brown) are much more finicky to work with.  This same frosting effect can also occur when sealing models with clear spray, which is all the more frustrating becase you've just ruined a finished model.  This problem can be totally eliminated with an airbrush, and priming in any color becomes not only possible, but easy.

If you used an airbrush for nothing more than priming and sealing, I believe it would be worth your time.  It should be noted that airbrushing is a very technical skill, by which I mean that it's important to learn how to mix paints to the correct consistency and how to modulate the airflow and paint through the brush to avoid splatter.  The good news is that both these things are very easy to learn with a little practise.

Once you get comfortable handling the airbrush, things like putting down beautifully thin layers of base colors become trivially easy.  Those whites you struggle with would go on effortlessly, and could then be masked before a blue spray (or vice versa).  Learning to mask properly will pay dividends when you want to start spraying multiple colors next to each other.

You can spray nice thin layers of gloss to prepare for oil washes or decals, and once complete a nice thin layer of matte can be sprayed over the gloss without leaving ugly brush strokes everywhere.

I learned a lot from this guy when I got my airbrush, he uses a new trick in almost every video, and really shows the versatility of the airbrush.

Hope this was some help.  If you have any more questions I'm happy to share what little knowlege I've picked up.

• 1 month later...

Wow, I have fallen off the wagon. Here's an attempt to jump back on. This took me somewhere along an hour last night to do. My goal is to try and work a little every night. And if I can actualy pull it off, at least an hour.

Baby steps.

Sorry their blury, I took the pic this morning on my way out the door.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/5BDCEA1C-156A-4B71-842F-FC31754C4B6F-6148-00000AAB318E2064_zps06da1a2b.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/21E2F226-FF7F-4484-AC10-3169184EE350-6148-00000AAB3C2A2DC6_zps04b9c3f2.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Happy Veterans Day Brothers. And to my more immediate family, HAPPY (belated) BIRTHDAY MARINES!!!!!

I've been doing some improvements on a model I thought finished a few months ago, and i think I'm about 95% done. There's one thing that needs to be done, and one thing I'm debating doing. I'm goin to leave that up to a vote from you guys. What I'll do is show you all some pictures, then I'll ask the question. Please give me your feed back on this as I will use that to determin my next course of action.

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/8F6E0564-FE45-4671-9088-CB3D3CACB25C-496-00000087CAE1C743_zpsc8975b01.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/3FF27E83-5443-48B3-9B30-CDC78D19F1E8-496-00000087EADD1DDF_zps6d7fc742.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/61EFB05F-91CD-4C56-A70F-419B07E050A9-496-00000087F2C3482D_zps86bb27b6.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/47C1C305-D63D-46BB-AD79-9318BCC045C5-496-00000087F9B7A927_zps600c701e.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/5A15062A-A12E-47F6-8DA8-3D2EBFE253B7-496-0000008805FE6EA8_zps1e5e6462.jpg

So the question is, what do you think of adding some fire creeping up his sword, and a little bit on the tabard just below his left fist?

Maybe edge the sword slightly? Give it the impression the edge is burning so hot as to cut through your very soul.

Are you saying with painting? Or with GS flames?

After my previous post I took one of the space wolves sheathed sword and put an aquilia on it. I plan on putting the sword on his left hip. It will be his "officers sword"

Rejoice brothers! With this update, we have two weeks in a row. A healthy trend indeed.

I've taken a break from the Libby to pick up the brush once more. One thing led to another and.... Well I decided to paint a face. I like the outcome, but why not let me here your thoughts?

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/652ACA16-A053-4467-8FA5-ED239ECC8EA6-3363-000005AE61C5B09A_zps5953ee60.jpg

http://i1148.photobucket.com/albums/o567/lastdog/54ED3CFA-6C04-4204-A6CA-87E5650B849B-3363-000005AE566984D5_zps8790fb42.jpg

He was either my heavy, or my Drill hat.... It was confusing times for us, and of course they never just said what their role was. Also I think one was training up the other... Who knows.

I'll done one that looks like my senior, but he wasn't around as much. He may be harder to do. Couple shades darker would be a start.

So I've got the itch to start working in the next squad before any of the current ones are done. What would you all sugest/ want to see next? So far it's a chapter master, Tac squadx2, 5 termies, predator, whirlwind, chaplain, dreadnaught, and sternguard finished, with a Libby and 5 more termies on the finishing table. I've got a box of everything minus the hunter/stalker kit, storm eagle/ravens, and the centurions. So go ahead and throw out a suggestion. And I mean everything! (Minus those kits.....)

Archived