The Albigensian Crusade

Honda

As a refresher, this is an eBay reclamation project (i.e. raider rescue) that just quite didn't get along far enough for me to commit to ETL2. Anyway, I'm using the same Vallejo colors that I always use (look upthread), but because this guy was pretty beat up I needed to do some extra things like add the outboard assault cannons (firing depleted adamantium) and a heavier application of weathering powders.

I call him the Krieg variant in honor of Brother Kastor Krieg.

I'm pretty happy with how he turned out and he's been moved to the case that I always take when the BTs come to town.

Now that I've finished this puppy, I can start on my Chaplain for the Penance Crusade.

gallery_15184_7227_145123.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_114851.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_489929.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_628960.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_374409.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_141695.jpg

Krieg looks fittingly badass like a veteran assault tank should. The one thing I would nitpick would be the viewports. The blue looks nice but in my humble opinion a little dash of light blue with white highlights to give it more of a glass reflection/lens effect would be even better. My eyes just seem drawn to the flat blue and while it doesn't need more work that little bit more would really put it over the top.

Krieg looks fittingly badass like a veteran assault tank should. The one thing I would nitpick would be the viewports. The blue looks nice but in my humble opinion a little dash of light blue with white highlights to give it more of a glass reflection/lens effect would be even better. My eyes just seem drawn to the flat blue and while it doesn't need more work that little bit more would really put it over the top.

Absolutely agree 100%.

I usually wait till after I've finished a vehicle to apply that as after I paint the "flash" part, I like to go over the lenses with 'Ard Coat to give it a glossy finish, sorta like glass. I will get on that.

I got lazy on the last few LRs I did, including this one, so thanks for the reminder and for holding me accountable.

Good catch.

I have to admit, I was hoping to see something to do with the Death Korps

I love those models and the artillery and the tanks and the Riders and the tanks and the infantry and the tanks...

I've always wanted to model up the Krieg. I love their look and all the various toys they can get. But I'm a "airhead" at heart, not a trencher and since I already have a full Elysian army that I love as well, I just couldn't justify another large footprint army as much as I would love to.

Besides, I am still consumed with trying to build out everything I can for my Templars. I feel like I'm just getting started. The new codex has given me options that I wouldn't have had previously, so I would expect much more Templari for the foreseeable future.

Cheers,

Okey doke. I am in the process of modeling up a Chaplain/Chapter Master/Captain/whatever I want him to be. The goal is for him to look cool and then stay flexible on the rules. At this point in time, the Chapter Master with a Storm Shield and the Burning blade in TDA seems like some nice awesome sauce, so that's the route I am heading.

He'll look like a Chaplain (see if I care whether you take away my Master of Sanctity), but play the part I want.

Here's the parts I'm starting off with, along with a fully customized air dry clay base. The aluminum foil is pressed into the wet clay to give it a stone texture. Easy and it works pretty well.

gallery_15184_7227_139718.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_299568.jpg

You may note that I've cut off the hip guards and slimmed his already geeky thin thighs. That's because I don't like that look. I think termies look awesome, but ever since I saw a tutorial on "From the Warp" about how to give termies better proportions, I've decided that's how I'm going to do all my termies from now on. It's more work, but I really like the effect.

So from skinny thighs to..."I can crush the Eye of Terror between my legs"...or something like that. Anyway, THOSE thighs look like he's been doing a lot of heavy lifting. Me likey.

Also, I've elevated the torso about 1-2 mm above where it normally rests and dropped the shoulder pins about 2mms. This puts the arms where they normally attach to the shoulders and lengthens the torso a little bit. I didn't come up with this, I borrowed it from Ron's tutorial on FtW.

However, it is simple enough that anyone can do it, including me.

gallery_15184_7227_937164.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_428912.jpg

Off to a great start Honda!

So from skinny thighs to..."I can crush the Eye of Terror between my legs"...or something like that.

Forgive me, but in my mind he's going to have the association with Zangief forever (if you've seen wreck it ralph or played street fighter you'll get the reference).

Have you chosen a head yet?  I'll admit, I'm curious to see what comes of this guy- you're a brave man only using the arms from the gorgeous tda chaplain (but this plastic model should allow more flexability in posing.)

Have you chosen a head yet?  I'll admit, I'm curious to see what comes of this guy- you're a brave man only using the arms from the gorgeous tda chaplain (but this plastic model should allow more flexability in posing.)

I've not committed myself on both arms just yet. I've been kicking around the idea of giving him a flaming crozius and then saving the other arm for someone else. Then I'll grab a GK arm for holding the storm shield.

I'm also evaluating three different heads, one of which won't make the cut because it will require extensive modification of the upper torso housing. Of the other two, one is a conversion and the other is just a bit. I'm leaning towards the conversion, but I need to see if I can pull that off.

Forgive me, but in my mind he's going to have the association with Zangief forever (if you've seen wreck it ralph or played street fighter you'll get the reference).

Unfortunately, your video game coolness is wasted on me. Video games never really stuck with me for some reason.

Cheers,

Magnetised arms make a cool conversion, I'm working on one at the moment where he has the option of wielding:

On his Right Arm

• A Burning/Relic Blade
  • A Thunder Hammer
  • A Teeth of Terra
  • A converted Rhino Storm Bolter to represent Primarch's Wrath

On his Left Arm

• A Storm Shield\Shield Eternal
  • Another Thunder Hammer

But besides that cool model Honda, can't wait to see him finished

Here's a quick update on my Master of Sanctity/Chapter Master/Captain.

I've got his legs done, tabard applied and decided to give him a chain belt. His head came from one of those skulls at the end of a chain. I'll probably need to add some loops at his waist so that the belt can be held up.

Next up is the shield arm and the crozius. I'm going to go with the crozius as is, though probably add some flames to it. The shield will be similar to my other chaplain with the fabric covering. When I get four of these guys, then I'll put them in my Assault terminator squad as SS/TH bad boys and then I'll just need to add 6 lightning claws to have something worthwhile coming out of my Caestus.

I'm sort of getting the feeling that I'm going to end up with an army of full of chaplains, and just may end up being called "The Army of Faith".

We'll see. Anyway, here's a few shots.

gallery_15184_7227_361862.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_743790.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_320080.jpg

For reference, he's going to look something like this...

gallery_15184_7227_130777.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_337731.jpg

Cheers,

Looking awesome!

One suggestion I can give it to get the DW command squad and loot various goodies including weapons with termie armor , nice posed LC and mostly the cool terminator cloak you

can stick behind you commander!

I have got it already and I plan to do the same thing as you but have been much delayed due to family obligations :)

Check the kit out I think it has many goodies for your project.

Keep em coming!

Otay...here's the latest update taken just before BnC experienced a hangover.

My Master of Sanctity

gallery_15184_7227_717240.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_526823.jpg

...and his shield with neat toys built in...

gallery_15184_7227_674056.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_478273.jpg

...and for those of you who were around for ETL2, this guy's been stripped and buffed a bit and is ready for some paint...

gallery_15184_7227_112371.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_407753.jpg

...and now all I'm doing is waiting for the front to come through and push all the humidity into the Gulf so I can do some airbrushing.

Cheers,

Despite a nasty cold, I was able to finish my MoS, for possible use in a game this week. I just need the upcoming front to push some humidity out and I'll seal him

So...he mostly turned out the way I wanted. He's not perfect and his final role will be as a TH/SS assault terminator in my first squad of assault termies. I've sort of come to the conclusion that I like lots of guys that look like chaplains in my army, so although I won't go overboard on that, I will have more chappies than your usual 1 or 2 as found in the HQ slots.

In the game, he'll be a Chapl-, er, Chapter Master in TDA, with SS and a Burning Blade. I attempted to do some OSL on the jewel in the middle of the crozius, which would be expected to "flare' upon making contact with an opponent. Regarding the shield, I am going to continue running with a historical crusader look to my SS. I want the to stand out a bit and this will differentiate them from something like the bog standard GW versions and the most excellent FW versions...plus mine are a lot easier and cheaper to produce. :)

Also, in honor of Furioso-Prime's sabbatical, I have placed the Penance crusade badge on the back of his right leg.

gallery_15184_7227_827641.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_213076.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_309244.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_861660.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_602483.jpg

gallery_15184_7227_71414.jpg

I now have 2 x TH/SS and 1 x LC termies, so just seven more to go. I'll keep working on a Chapter Master until I get something that really makes me swoon.

ONWARDS!

And now I wonder how many more "Thighs" jokes you could have made had he not been finished yet...... A sad day...:cry:

Ah, well. He looks awesome! Absolutely love the Shield in traditional Templar colours. :thumbsup:

And now I wonder how many more "Thighs" jokes you could have made had he not been finished yet...... A sad day...:cry:

Be of good cheer Brother Andhil, I have seven more brethren to build for that squad. There's bound to be a few more "thighs" around somewhere.

@T_C: You may have noticed that I changed the chevron from black to white. It became clear on a small badge like that, the black would have just gotten lost, so I reversed it, sort of a reminder to be "pure in spirit" at all times.

I am making progress on the Ares, but also need to get the other brethren going.

Cheers,

I did notice the chevron color change, and I understand the reason for it. I think I may be doing the same for the chevron color. Btw fantastic thigh pun- the hills have thighs, haha (hope your referencing the classic version of the horror film and not those remakes and sequels in the last couple years)

Hunt for Red October Witches

The planet's aligned, we were all in town or otherwise unencumbered by external obligations, so Rob, Jefe, and I got together for some remedial 40K.

I say "remedial" because we don't play that often and when we do get together, it's more of a social gathering, where 40K occurs. We get together to have fun, get caught up on what's going on with each other's lives and have a few laughs. It's a bonus that we toss handfuls of dice and move little toy soldiers around felt covered tables.

For this episode of Remedial40K, we each brought 1000points and used the Relic scenario, modified to account for the fact that we had three players.

Red Witches - Rob has been playing his Red Art School Witches (i.e. Blood Angels) since their inception. He's got something like a zillion points of old school BA with very liberal infusions of magnetization (before it was cool), conversions, and a very high degree of painting throughout. It is truly an awesome experience to play against his army. Also, he's been playing it so long, he just keeps doing what he's always done, allowing for minor tweaks between versions, whilst wistfully reminiscing about the good old days when everyone hated BA with a passion. He's also a lot of fun to play with.

Rob fielded (from memory):

Nasty, angry, blood sucking Great Red witch, also known as Mephiston
One nasty sanguinary witch, i.e. Sanguinary Priest
One ten man witch squad in jump packs with chainswords and bolt pistols. Some of the witches had melta guns
Two five man witch squads in jump packs, equipped the same as above unit
One four or five man crazy black witch squad with nasty red "Xs" and a bad attitudegallery_15184_7227_893092.jpg

Shiny Witches - Jefe is another person in our group that has been playing the same army since its creation. Jefe is GK through and through, whether Apoc or something small like we were going to attempt. Jefe has also invested a lot of time into his painting army. His vehicles are very intriguing in that he's used one of those "beaten" metal finishes out of a spray can so that his vehicles look quite unique. I never would have considered doing that, but he pulled it off and it looks very cool and distinctive.

Jefe fielded (from memory):

Shiny Witch Chapter Master
One Shiny Witch Paladin with long pig sticker, in a Land Raider Witch Wagon
One ten man squad of shiny Purifying witches with long pig stickers in a Shiny Witch Rhino
One five man squad of shiny Strike Witches with silenced witch leaf blowers in a Shiny Witch Rhinogallery_15184_7227_648292.jpg

Good guys:

Master of Sanctity, i.e. Chapter Master, in termie armor, Storm Shield, Burning Blade
One Crusader squad, Sword Brethren with holy bolt pistol and power maul, one Initiate with holy bolt pistol and powerfist, Seven Initiates with holy bolt pistols and righteous chainswords, one Initiate carrying an Emperor's cleansing flame flamer, four Neophytes with shotguns in a blessed holy Land Raider Crusader
One Crusader squad, one initiate with wrath spewing heavy bolter, one initiate with the Emperor's Glory plasma gun, three initiates with bolters, in a Blessed Box of Containment, i.e. Rhino
One "Glory in our Fury" Vindicator with Siege Shield

gallery_15184_7227_208997.jpg

The board was set up per the pic.gallery_15184_7227_579900.jpg

The woods area could not be seen or shot through, unless you were less than six inches from the opposite edge of the woods. The building in the middle was Armor 14 and two stories. The Relic was on the top landing pad in the middle.

For set up we did something odd. Rather than let high roller pick, we rolled a scatter dice and where ever it pointed, that was your quadrant to set up. If a quadrant already had someone in it, then you rolled again. A simple way of getting a random set up that was very interesting. You could not set up closer than 12 inches from the center of the board.

We rolled to see who went first, and the order would be Red Witches, Good Guys, then Shiny Witches.

Earlier in the week, as I became more comfortable with my list, I was thinking of running up as fast as I could grab the Relic, then fight a rearguard action to hold it inside my LRC. The trouble with that idea is that I knew that the "witches" would just join forces and wipe me off the map. So, I decided to do something un-Templary and bat clean up.

I knew that 20 red nut cases in jet packs was going to be a lot of trouble, not discounting the lunatics in black leading the way, so I felt like I could afford to take shots at them from within my mobile fortresses, then look for opportunities.

Other ad hoc game mechanisms:

1. Since the Relic was on the second story, in theory the only troops that could get to it were Jump equipped, so we came up with the idea of an elevator that could take you to the top in one turn's movement. This also brought up some funny moments when we wondered, would the various parties stand at the base of the tower, pressing the "up" button and stand there fidgeting while they waited for the doors to open...or, would the doors open and then general mayhem ensue as the units fought to get into the elevator car before the others did. Anyway, it was an amusing mental picture.

2. I honestly had not been thinking this, but the two witch groups wanted to know what would happen to the Relic if the building blew up. We eventually, came to the decision to roll 4D6 and a scatter die in the event that the building collapsed.

Turn 1

The Red Witch Group sent the Death Company and another squad up to the bunker in an early move to intimidate the other factions and see if they could make a quick grab. The rest of the red witches held back.

The Good Guys moved up the LRC and Vindi to get a little closer, while the rhino held firm. The Vindicator lined up on the large non-moving object directly to its front and...missed. The LRC fired at the Death Company and they made all their cover/FNP rolls. The heavy bolter and plasma gunner, disgusted with the lame attempts to actually shoot at something lined up and actually took down two of the Death Company.

The Shiny Witches quickly took advantage of the Death Company casualties and took out the last two Death Company, thus securing First Blood. The Good Guys immediately stood up and said, "Hey, what are we chopped liver?", to which the Shiny Witches took their VP and waved.

Turn Two

The red witches jumped up to the top of the platform, securing the Relic. The other five man jump pack unit held while the rest of the witches sidled over closer to where the shiny witches were advancing, setting up some future "witch on witch" action.

While the Good Guys were deciding what to shoot, the shiny witches began to whisper, "shoot the building, shoot the building, you know you want to". To which the Multi-melta lined up on the bunker and...missed. The Vindicator gunners laughed at the misfortune of the Melta gunner and shouted, "Look, this is how you do it", firing it's huge shell at the large, immobile structure. It was noted that an increase of approximately 72.3% of the dust particulate matter was observed through illuminated flashes of light. The red witches inside the bunker began to giggle incessantly.

About this time, the Eastern sky began to glow. The Strike Cruiser "Witchbane", let loose with an orbital bombardment, causing one wound to the Great Red Witch and reducing the ten man jump squad to a six man jump squad.

The laughter emanating from the bunker abruptly ceased.

The shiny witches moved over to where the Great Red Witch stood and deployed their purifying white headed witches, not noticing the anticipation building in display upon the large figure's face. The witch raider fired on the bunker and...scorched the lintel above the West facing elevator door. The Good Guys jeered, "Yeah, you not so tough are you? Now you know, anyone can hit a moving target, it's the immobile ones that throw you off!"

In the mean time, the psilenced gun squad fired into the ten, now six man jump squad and knocked down another large red witch.

Turn Three

The red witches on the top of the bunker platform, limited to six inches of movement, opted to take the elevator down, which then prompted the following exchange:

Rob: Uh... how do we get out of the elevator?
Honda: You can't. We didn't make any rules for doors. You're stuck.
Rob: Uh...wait a minute.

Anyway, the jump squad waited at the bottom of the elevator shaft for a ruling by the UN Elevator Access and Security Council.

A dazed and confused, but mostly angry five man jump squad, Sanguinary witch, along with the Big Red Witch slammed into the shiny white headed witches. Unfortunately, it's not easy being shiny. Especially when you neglect to use all of your tricks and the red witch assault left only two or three of the shiny variety standing. However, the shiny witches held their ground.

gallery_15184_7227_978560.jpg

The Good Guys were getting a little fed up. The red witches inside of the bunker began taunting them with lame French accents and large snippets of "Monty Python and the Holy Grail". A knight can only take so much abuse. Once again the shiny witches whispered, "shoot the multi-melta at the bunker", which is exactly what the Melta gunner did. Note, the witches never said, "shoot the mult-melta at the bunker and destroy it". So the melta gunner completed his simple instruction set, thus adding complete embarrassment to the unholy levels of taunting issuing from inside the bunker.

gallery_15184_7227_651601.jpg

And then, sometimes, you just get fed up. Sometimes an ordinary soul will step up and seize the initiative and make something happen. The Vindicator gunner had had it with the red witches. He lined up his shot and destroyed the bunker. "Laugh at that stupid witches". Unfortunately, the Relic was blown 16 inches into the red witch territory, mere inches from a scoring jump pack unit. The Good Guys facepalmed.

The remaining shiny witches began by moving towards the Relic. The unit engaged with the Big Red Witch were cut down, except for one who ran to his ride. It looked like the Biggest Shiny Witch was looking for some pay back, but first he had to get there and the driving was rather circuitous. The shiny raider, managed to shoot down the remnants of the French jump squad (i.e. from the bunker) that was nearby and left them down to a single red jumping witch.

Turn Four

A red witch jump squad looked up into the sky and saw victory fall to the ground. Quickly looking around to see if anyone had seen them, they picked up the Relic and hid it underneath their BVDs. The Big Red Witch glided over to one of the shiny witch rhinos with psilenced guns and shot at the back armor. Destroying the vehicle. The shiny witches inside exclaimed, "Hey, WHO DO YOU THINK YOU ARE, MESSING WITH OUR POK...ER...uh, oh crap". The Big Red Witch left none standing and stole all of their lunch money. The other shiny witch wagon was melta'd and the nearby survivor began to understand Nietzsche a little better.

gallery_15184_7227_486349.jpg

The red jumping witch from the exploded bunker, closed with the onrushing shiny raider and fired his melta gun. Note, "hitting" something the size of a barn with a melta gun and "penetrating" something the size of a barn with a melta gun are two completely different experiences. Unfortunately for the red jumping witch, he experienced the former.

gallery_15184_7227_137695.jpg

The Good Guys vehicle drivers, popped in some legacy AC/DC "Back in Black", put the pedal to the metal, and were able to close enough with the Red Witches "Victory" squad to drop a member with snap shots from the heavy bolter.

gallery_15184_7227_650187.jpg

The Great Shiny Witch, ever cognizant of his new solid gold paint job, successfully swerved into difficult terrain, narrowly avoiding the dumbfounded red jumping witch, and headed to where the Great Red Witch was last reported. Just to show that no good deed goes unpunished, the automated tracking systems in the left lascannon sponson identified a red threat and removed it as the vehicle passed by.gallery_15184_7227_592978.jpg

Turn Five

Witchcraft is a harsh mistress. There are times when her fidelity seems unquestionable. But then, someone new shows up, someone shiny, someone with a longer...blade...and flashy toys...and then suddenly, you find that you were just a plaything, something to keep her entertained for a time...and now she wants someone new. You don't exist anymore.

It wasn't pretty. The shiny witches have many tricks up their sleeves. They are not to be underestimated. They are...unforgiving. The Great Red Witch turned to ash in an instant, only to blow away in the stale wind.

gallery_15184_7227_909538.jpg

The red "Victory" squad began to run. It was a new feeling, running way. It seemed odd that this heretical way of thinking was truly the path to victory. But they continued their dogged flight.

gallery_15184_7227_358171.jpg

The Good Guys crashed through intervening terrain, determined to corral the red witches, determined to exact revenge with large caliber weaponry. The Land Raider fired what few weapons it could, downing two more witches, but it was not enough. Two remained.

gallery_15184_7227_684374.jpg

The Great Shiny Witch mounted up, intent on pursuing the Relic.

The red "Victory" witches rolled their chance cubes, cackling like hens, their victory was preserved (Rob rolled a "1" to continue).

The enemy had run out of time.

Final Thoughts

We had fun. We messed things up, we thumbed through our rules a fair bit, we adjusted when necessary and had a blast. I really like the Relic scenario as it seems to always go down to the wire in my games. Great game Rob and Jefe!

Until next time...