I totally understand where you're coming from, i'm having a huge backlog too, and being a father, a husband and doing two jobs doesn't leave much time to hobby.

However, the models you've presented so far are far above what i (or the people around here for what it matters) consider tabletop standard. They're really well painted. Turning it down a notch will still hit - what i consider - a good tabletop standard.

Also, unless you seal them you can still go back later and touch them up, add some details or w/e. Then again, picking up a finished model and repainting it in my experience is far harder than picking up new ones, considering motivation. It's certainly not an easy decision.

I'm planning to get back to my models in the future to refine the highlights. Maybe along the way, I'll learn or introduce a new technique, but that's doubtful since I want my army painted in a coherent style. Well, semi-coherent - it's quite impossible to update some of the older models without stripping them bare of paint, a thing I don't want to do because I grew emotionally attached to these models and they also did their share of table-top combat and don't deserve being treated like second-hand models bought off the Internet.

I'm intending to seal my models with Army Painter's Matte Varnish - do you think that it'll make touching details up in the future difficult or impossible? I only used the varnish for my board game miniatures which I dipped in their Quick Shade which left them extremely glossy. The impression I got is that the Matte finish shouldn't cause any problems when it comes to applying 'fresh' paint to it; I'll need to check this later.

The models above are primed and I've started to paint them, shoulder pads firs. Unfortunately, the thunder hammer Marine's pad that I fixed with green stuff (I wanted to level the grooves from a Death Company's pad) was in fact ruined; after dully applying paint, the white looked chalky because it covered grains/flecks of green stuff that must've been left after my attempt to sand the surface. To remedy that, I decided to make an attempt to distract a viewer's attention from the white with a black ornate pattern:

aHq5Rxu.jpg

I think that I'll be using this kind of patter more often, it's not that difficult to do and adds an 'artificer's touch' to surfaces.

Here's the first of my 'speed-painted' Marines. I managed to paint him over two days in a couple of short session. I feel that this has never happened before, or at least not over the last five years. I used to work on batches of around 5 Marines applying specific colours to all at the same time which extended the time I needed to paint all of them to months. Working from start to finish on one mini has also given me a sense of immediate accomplishment, something very nice and welcome.

While not as neat as some of my other works, I think he turned out just fine for the time being.

OsMyrO1.jpg

OsMyrO1.jpg

The model looks great! Will you use him as a Marshal, or as an Emperor's Champion who wields a thunder hammer instead of a Black Sword, possibly because he anticipates fighting Tau battlesuits or Chaos Helbrutes?

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

Hmm, filigree on the pauldron...just when I thought I had run out of ideas for all my free hand iconography :wink:

Seriously, by the time I remembered checkers I was scraping the bottom of the barrel.  That was me digging up memories of 2nd edition. :ermm:

Edited by Firepower

Without getting into specific brands, a matte varnish should be able to handle additional paint just fine. Gloss is another story.

I too really like the filigree on the shoulder pads and will have to experiment with that soon.

Well done brother!

@ Bjorn, while not the Emperor's Champion, I intended to use him as a Crusade Champion (i.e. Chapter Champion from the Index since GW removed weapon options for the entry).

@ Firepower and Honda, thanks for the appreciation! I'm glad that something I do may act as inspiration. Best of luck with your attempts. And thanks for the response regarding varnish.

I'll be away for business for the rest of the week. I hoped that I could finish my standard bearer before I go, but that doesn't appear to be an option any longer, that's why I'll share my work in progress pictures.

The model is an enormous time sink! So far, it took me 2.5 hours to get where I am now, but admittedly most of the work is done. I barely started with the standard, but the front with the cross is more or less done. I mean, I'll try to do something with the white material, but won't probably be adding more freehand - I kind of like the austere, ragged look I ended up with. It should contrast well with the other standards that will be included in my Crusade (UM Honour Guard's; Grey Knight's, 'regular' Standard with elaborate Crusade iconography).

The beared himself is mostly done, however. He needs tidying up, another layer of amour highlights, oh, and the bolter is far from done. What do you think? Any ideas on what to add to the armour or banner?

mB5Ede2.jpg

CmTWYjF.jpg

As always, I'm very grateful for your comments! I hope that I haven't offended you with my obsession with time, painting and quality - that's just a burning quirk I recently developed with the exponentially growing number of responsibilities and obligations, and constant disappointment with the direction GW takes 40K making me question my commitment to the hobby.

After being away from the Internet and hobby for the weekend, I managed to remain resolute and found more time to finish my Black Templars Standard Bearer (yeah, or Ancient). 4.5 hours of work. I'll post more photos of him in the future, after the base is done-done with sand and grass (I want to seal the model and I heard that spray sealants and static grass don't get along together well), but for now, here it goes:

AKkGVPg.jpg

And more images:

rp4gybc.jpg

aYJjd0Q.jpg

AKkGVPg.jpg

tLR7lwF.jpg

LRl6fhG.jpg

bhSXk1k.jpg

927TgUT.jpg

UGO75h3.jpg

XK3voa2.jpg

lld9A1R.jpgLZGMJPn.jpgyRTtMLp.jpg

Progress! I'm making good use of a less intense week and managed to paint my power sword marine which means I painted 50% of my last batch of Marines in under two weeks! This time, I spent 'only' 2.5 hours on one Marine. With this pace, I could probably finish all my units in under two months... I'd just have to abandon my job, studies and the remainder of my life and take up painting as a full-time occupation. Realistically speaking, however, with my recent determination and overall progress, I'm thinking that two years is a realistic forecast (minus my pending scratch builds). I can't wait to take some proper army pictures!

Have you painted the marine with the lightning claw yet? If so, how did painting over the red work out for you? I am about to be facing an issue like that with some old models that I have already stripped the paint off of, but still have some red.

Not yet, but I had painted miniatures in (what I imagine to be) similar condition to yours, i.e. with some 'residual' paint left after stripping. The running Crusaders from this album were exceptionally "bad", with lots of red which seemingly blended with the plastic itself and some white primer remaining in the smallest crevices such as details or the ribbed, exposed parts of the undersuit (if that's a word!). I think that the black primer and paint managed to cover whatever there was quite successfully, without really affecting the paintjob. You should be fine!

Edited by Brother Cristopher

War calls!

WAR

Expect the heralds of the four Chaos Gods! The Neurode Crusade marches to war!

I'll be playing tomorrow my first game since like... forever. It's a 1500 pts game versus some green skin filth.

With my non-existent experience and (when it comes to actual lists) surprisingly incoherent collection of painted models, this is what I came up with in terms of an army list. Oh, and since we're in Codex: Ultramarines, I'll be using their CT and Warlord trait.

HQ

Captain, Teeth of Terra, MC bolter (aka Catellan - I need to build a magnetised Marshal for my Crusade)

Techmarine, servo arm, bolter

Troops:

5x Scouts

5x Tactical marines, heavy bolter, squad leader with stormbolter and chainsword

6x Tactical marines, missile launcher, squad leader with stormbolter and chainsword

Elites:

5x Sternguard, special issue bolters

5x Vanguard, jump packs, melta bombs, 1x power axe, 1x power fist, 3x boltpistol and chainsword

Heavy support:

Predator, four lascannons

Thunderfire cannon

Mortis Contemptor with two Kheres ACs

Flyer:

Stormtalon, TLAC, Typhoon ML

Transports:

Razorback TLAC, stormbolter

Razorback HB, stormbolter

Rhino, stormbolter

Thoughts and plans: Scouts are there to attempt to deny potential deep strikes and attempt to hold objectives/distract the xenos. PA troops are supposed to drive around in Razorbacks and attempt to secure objectives. The Rhino, I don't know - an emergency transport, plus a unit to slow Orks down by engaging them in combat. The TFC and Predator remain at the back or slowly advance with the remainder of the force; the Techmarine gunner helps to keep the tank running. The Dreadnought advances together with Sternguards and the Captain and Techmarine (Sternguard also act as the Captain's bodyguards). The Stormtalon (I hate how overpriced it is!!) attempts to survive while it flies around the board; in case of emergency, it returns to benefit from one of the Techmarine's repair ability.

I think the list is fun - that's something I want to try to 'feel' the game mechanics. I won't kid you, I'd love to field somethign else, but firstly I don't believe I can stand against Orks in melee and secondly, I wanted to field an army comprising of models that are painted or I painted 'recently' and never got a chance to use during my exile.

I don't expect much; I just hope that I won't get tabled quickly or 'have a bad time'.

Any and all advice and comments are welcome! I will be grateful and consider them all, and try to update my list if I have the models.

The last game I played (see list in Keeltonian Crusade thread), I bunched up my entire force in one area and slowly spread them out from there. It forces the enemy to come to you rather than the other way around. Heavy hitters and long range on the wings, troops and others in the center. Pick off as much as the dice will allow at range, then mop up with the squads. Good luck, Brother!

The game was a blast! Although both me and my opponent made a number of mistakes and had to consult the rules on a number of occasions, it was immense fun.

The core rules are very enjoyable, so that's something. However, an actual gaming experience reassuresw1q me that the game in a broader scope is unnecessarily complicated. Maybe I'm growing old and looking for a more streamlined system, but the datasheets themselves are enough to keep track of; the changing vehicle stats, stratagems, warlord traits and the need to consult various tables to make out a point cost of units is slightly tiresome.

While I made a number of mistakes I quickly came to regret, I managed to secure (or rather snatch!) a firm victory during the fourth and last turn. Most importantly, I had no clue how to deploy my forces and what to do with them in the first two rounds; however, afterwards the battle plan became much clearer and I successfully responded to the thread that was closing in. Overall, I think I now have a better grasp of the game's mechanics and should do better next time.

A number of reservations:

1. We agreed to ignore all stratagems, except the thee core ones. Unfortunately, we remembered only two of those: the dice re-roll and morale auto-pass. Now that I checked the third one, I kind of regret not remembering what it was since it would be absolutely useful in dealing with the charging green skins.

2. Next time I'm going to use a different lens or get a tripod; my camera didn't do particularly well, so there aren't many good photos to share.

3. Writing battle reports is tough; unfortunately, I won't provide a 'good one' since I was in a hurry due to other arrangements and wanted to finish the game before I had to go. That's why I didn't keep track of what was going on, nor make appropriate photo documentation to record the subsequent events.

4. The Orkz's list roughly consisted of:

Warboss on bike, with power claw

Painboy on bike, with power claw

A sizeable mob of Nob bikers, with power claw

A Trukk carrying:

A sizeable mob of Nobs with power claws and big choppas

Accompanied by a Painboy and a Waaagh! Banner Nob

A mob of choppy Boyz
A second mob of choppy Boyz accompanied by a Weirdboy
A third mob of choppy Boyz
A mob of shooty Boyz

A Battlewagon
A sizeable mob of Lootaz

5. Deployment and mission: 'standard' deployment, mission with 3 objectives to hold at the end of the game.

I deployed most of my forces on the left flank to weather the bikers; so there were my Rhino and Razorback, Captain, Techmarine, Scouts, Tacticals and Sternguard. In the middle, I left my fire support: TFC, Predator and Contemptor. The right flank was modest, a Razorback with a Tactical squad to slow down the Nobz who would surely like to deal with my vulnerable centre.

6. I ignore in my 'report' minor events that have had little or no bearing on the battle. Overall, this will amount to mention of Ork vehicles and Lootaz, as well as my Predator and TFC, all of which did ignorable damage to their enemies.

The course of the battle:

Turn 1

Orkz move in towards my force; they shoot in an Ork manner and fail to inflict any considerable damage.

SM regroup and secure defensive positions. Scouts advance to secure an objective and hopefulyl stall the Ork bikers. The Stormtalon kills one or two bikes. The Sternguard remain secure in a building; they decided to send up prayers instead of shoot the incoming Ork bikes (duh, I forgot about the squad after it disembarked).

Turn 2

Orkz close in to my forces on my left flank. They do a lot of shooting causing minor damage; the bikes charge into SM positions and wipe out one Tactical squad and damage a Razorback. The xenos also claim first blood, since the SM Techmarine decides to perform a heroic intervention and exposes himself to the reckless hatered. Orkz also take an objective in the middle of the table. On the right flank, they converge  Razorback with their mob of Nobz. Also, SM scouts die while trying to hold their objective. The Weirdboy teleports a bunch of Boyz close to my TFC - they shoot their unreliable pistols, however, they fail their charge.

On the left flank, SM retreat from combat. The Contemptor and Stormtalon (and the Sternguards who completed their prayers) fire at the bikes, including the Warboss who loses two wounds. Marines on the right flank disembark in hope of killing at least some of the incoming Nobz, with rather poor effect. Rhino 'charges' in on the bikers and engages the mob and the Painboy in close assault; the Warboss, however, remains at large.

Turn 3

Orkz hold the objectives in the middle and on the right. They kill the Tactical Marines on the right and cripple the Razorback; they move in for claiming Linebreaker and destroying the TFC and Predator in the centre. On the left, most of the remaining bikes are tied in with a Rhino (which is destroyed, but does not explode!), the Warboss however unleashes a storm of bullets at the SM Captain and charges! The Captain and the hulking beast exchange blows; in result of failure of the Iron Halo, the Captain is crippled, but alive (I forgot about taking the invoulnurable save!). The beast suffers minor wounds (2-3 to be more exact).

The Rhino on the left disenages the bikes, exposing them to more fire from the Contemptor. The xenos have two bikers remaining, but not for long - they die to fire from the other supporting units. The injured Captain disengages the Warboss; Sternguard veterans shoot the and charge him; Their prayers have been answered; the sergeant with the power fist deals significant damage. Jump pack Sword Brethren join the battle, shoot and successfully charge a squad of Boyz with the intention of moving towards the middle objective. The Techmarine gunner fends of Boyz who threaten his relic piece of artillery.

Turn 4

The Boyz on the left disengage the Vanguards, leaving them vulnerable to fire from the Battlewagow which kills the remaining veterans. The said Boyz advance to secure the left-flank objective. The Warboss fights the Sternguards, killing some of the veterans; however, it is also dealt damage in retaliation (not enough though, I messed up the rolls badly!). Boyz charge the Techmarine gunner, being afraid of the Cannon's overwatch. The bloodthirsty Nobz on the right move towards the brave gunner-engineer; the reward of being the Clan's linebreakers is too tempting! Not many are left, though. Only the Painboy, Standard Bearer and one Nob, all wounded from previous engagements.

Sternguard retreat, leaving the Warboss vulnerable to shooting - they move towards the objective, claim it and are set to kill the Boyz who dare to despoil that which belongs the the Imperium; their volley slays a number of greenskins (I used the UM tactic). The remaining are killed by other units; the objective is in the SM's holding! The Captain intends to charge the Warboss and kill the foul beast, but a salvo from the TFC beats him to his goal. The Techmarine gunner uneashes his servo harness' weapons at the incoming Nobz and soon charges them. He kills them all with the might servo arms, as well as his own fists (The guy was a-ma-zaing! He single-handedly killed around 8 Boyz, 2 Nobz and the Painboy and Waagh! Banner Bearer without suffering a single wound! Thanks to a re-roll, but still.) He denies Linebreaker to the Orkz. The Contemptor moves into the ruins in the centre, kills all the Orkz cowering there and claims the second objective. The Stormtalon and Predator attempt to kill the single Orkz still near the third objective, many Lootaz die, but the battered Trukk survives.

The battle ended at the point; the SM had a significant force remaining. The Orkz were beaten. A fine victory for the Imperium!

If we had played another round, I probably would wipe the xeno scum completely with my remaining forces.

The final score we determined and agreed on was 7:4 for the Black Templars (two objectives, slay the warlord vs. one objective and first blood). But to be honest, I feel like "who cares?" after such a fun game.

The Opponent was a nice guy; we both had a great time. I felt like balancing on the verge of death, with all the power claw madness running and riding around, but I managed to thin a large portion of his forces down.

I hope that you enjoyed what I tried to put into words here; Writing the account of the battle proved to be quite fun and satisfying (Albeit a bit more time-consuming than I intended. Now I better understand the effort others need to put into this sort of thing.).

EDIT: With the "Boots on the Ground" rule, flyers cannot hold objectives. But do they count towards Linebreaker?

The Emperor protects!

Some photos are to come!

And here are the photos I managed to salvage:

Orkish Deathstar:

DSG7Noi.jpg

Overview of the battlefield:

Uncd0X6.jpg

Nobz crash into a Razorback:

NlZirKs.jpg

Templars entrench themselves as the xenos bikers approach:

7SNxBoz.jpg

iFQF9Eh.jpg

Bikers engage the protectors of mankind:

flQUGpT.jpg

Greenskins attempt to outrun a Contemptor Dreadnought:

FIVPxG1.jpg

After a prayer, Sternguard Sword Brethren rejoin the battle and prepare themselves to fire and charge at the Orkz:

70DCE9p.jpg

Black Templar Initiates fire at charging Orkz:

AoiEoJW.jpg

JmOmYj3.jpg

Sternguard Sword Brethren join the fray:

Ck2v4xy.jpg

Turn 3, centre of the table and left flank:

kmwgQxd.jpg

Turn 3, centre of the table and right flank:

EFrzLSo.jpg

Ork Boyz attempt to break away from a squad of Sword Brethren:

yeqjt7y.jpg

Nice report and cool photos! You should play/take pictures more often, your army looks sweet on the battlefield!

How did you find the UM tactic? Did you find yourself using it a lot/would have lost had you had the BT tactics?

If you were to field the same army (minus 75pts to include an EC) think it would have had a similar result?

I enjoyed the report!

Thanks mate! I think I really should - the game was so much fun!

The CT was mostly irrelevant; however, it proved to be vital during the last round and allowed me to secure the victory more firmly with the Sternguard squad being able to shoot the Boyz holding an objective. Apart from that, it was meh. It would be more useful if it worked on Razorbacks, though.

I think that the army would do equall good, if not better with the EC. I could easily find the points by dropping one or two Crusaders and substituting the Techmarine with the EC who probably could make short work of the Ork characters, especially (hopefully!) the notorious Warboss.

Two more Crusaders have joined the ranks of the Second Fighting Company of the Neurode Crusade:

tTnCZRQ.jpg

f9LSgWY.jpg

oeSM2qe.jpg

0XcDWEt.jpg

KE3Ai0D.jpg

g9x3wot.jpg

R1Kb96u.jpg

This time I managed to finish each model in slightly over two hours. That's surely an improvement in time efficiency and I think I haven't compromised the overall quality. I am still working on finding the golden mean to painting my Black Templars, but I think that what you see above is basically it. I might be able improve the output with ranged weapons marines, since the guns cover most of the detail on the chest piece. Yet, despite me wanting to get the army painted as soon as possible (hopefulyl within the next two years), I am not willing to depart from the current technique and aesthetics to my troops since I'd also want a generally uniform look to all my infantry and vehicles, regardless of the stage of my hobby they were painted in.