Flesh Eaters

Snejk

I'm having a hard time to decide about my future DC though, i'm aiming to have 10-12 DC dudes, but can't make up my mind if they'll go all shooty or if i should add 3-4 power weapons and a thunderhammer. Their WS 5, Rage etc says "get them into CC", but since 6th edition seems to favour shooting i just don't know.

Shooty Death Company!!!??? :blink:

*Dials the number of the local resident Inquisitor*

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

Thank you for adjusting my thoughts on this matter.

CC it is.

Lol no problem mate.

- EgoDraconumNigrorum

But I still have thoughts about how to equip them. My main opponents play IG, SW and GK. So i need weapons capable of punching through power armour and a decent amount of TDA. I'm thinking 2 plasma pistols in a squad of 10, 1 thunder hammer and 3-4 power weapons. I want to be able to strike on initiative, but still hard enough to cut through power armour, and that's where the power weapons come in. And the hammer to make TDA think once or twice before deciding to get into CC. Maybe i'm just thinking it all wrong?

Regardless of the codex, plasma pistols are always bad. Until GW starts pricing them at around 5 pts per model or less, there's never any reason to take them. For Death Company my personal preference is to give a bulk of them bolters (relentless bolters are nasty), with a few hefting pistols and power axes. Don't charge them into something that'll pulp them before the axes swing, and you'll do fine. A decent number of kills before charging, some more at initiative, and the axes clear up the rest, while being cheaper than fists and just as good at killing T4 models (minus the instant death angle). There's just something deeply satisfying about a 35 point model that reels off five Weapon Skill 5, Strength 6, AP 2 attacks on the charge, and is completely safe from challenges.

Death Company are for eating Troops. Bolters are good. Especially if coming out of a Drop Pod. Especially if you have a lot of them (more than 8) and you don't want to vapourise an enemy unit in 1 assault phase. Cos that's bad. Don't do that.

The Power Axe ones are lovely though. 1 per 4 men or part thereof.

So I finally finish a mini and present Captain Radu of the Flesh Eaters. Once a pretty boy with a face so handsome and beautiful as a cherubs. Legens has it angels cried with joy as they gazed upon his face. Until an ork weirdboy cooked it with his weirdboy orky mental powers... And drove Radu into a psychotic frenzy strenghtening his pimp arm so much he can now hold a kicking bolter one handed... (Don't remember who originally wrote that last part. Just remember I read it here at the forum regarding the Black rage)

I'm not entirely happy with the chapter badge on the right shoulder pad or his "glowing" eyes. I just couldn't get a white dot at the back of the eye sockets

Anyway, here he is, my Counts as DC Tycho:

gallery_60645_7554_304074.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_36624.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_359271.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_79762.jpg

wicked work on Radu, Snejk. I like how you made the skull helm more like a mask than a helmet. And the pale blue flesh is a must on a FE. And I like your use of the ghoul head for the decapped ork. The only thing you need is to tidy up the FE chapter symbol on right arm. and maybe some green stuff around the wire in his right hand shaped like a spinal cord, or hair. But nice work on him, and keep them coming before we get too hungry

wicked work on Radu, Snejk. I like how you made the skull helm more like a mask than a helmet. And the pale blue flesh is a must on a FE. And I like your use of the ghoul head for the decapped ork. The only thing you need is to tidy up the FE chapter symbol on right arm. and maybe some green stuff around the wire in his right hand shaped like a spinal cord, or hair. But nice work on him, and keep them coming before we get too hungry

Thanks DC2K!

Yes i figured the face mask would do better than just painting a helmet. The ghoul was an ad hoc solution since i don't have any orky parts at home, but i think it works well. Radu (The Fair) was the name of Vlad Tepes younger brother btw.

I'm still working on a good blueish fleshtone. I have Midnite Runners recepie but don't wish to be a total copy cat...

The chapter badge looks horrible. All I can say is I painted it 15 minutes before bedtime... And it will be re done soon. As soon as i sober up...

Here is my new WIP. A tactical squad. So far I have 4 bolter marines and a sergeant with a bolter and chainsword. And i'll assemble the special weapon (Plasma gun) and Hv Weapon (Plasma cannon) tomorrow.

The paint recepie is (so far):

Chaos black undercoat,

P3 Formula Bloodstone brown (watered down),

P3 Formula Skorne Red (Slightly watered down),

Druchii Violet wash,

Valejo Blood red.

IRL the mini on the right looks more brown and the one on the left (with a thin layer of Blood Red) looks a bit brighter. I also have one test mini without the blood red but a dry brush-ish layer of GW Evil Sunz Scarlet - which didn't come ou to well.

Perhaps a better coat of blood red, and a dry brush of GW Wild Rider Orange and a layer of red glaze will do the trick? However the right one looks really, really worn when the battle damage will be properly added and with some hard high lights perhaps..?

gallery_60645_7554_517635.jpg

looks like a good start. Did you ever bring your tainted landraider back to the emprah's light? from the look of the assault squad picture on page one the lascannon mussles seem to have deamonic faces.. or are those decapitated heads shoved onto the tips of the lascannons? ( i like that idea better)

looks like a good start. Did you ever bring your tainted landraider back to the emprah's light? from the look of the assault squad picture on page one the lascannon mussles seem to have deamonic faces.. or are those decapitated heads shoved onto the tips of the lascannons? ( i like that idea better)

The land raider is still somewhat tainted and needs to be purified some. The decapitated heads was a good idea, I think i'll work with that.

Last night I found an unopened box of Sanguinary Guard at the bottom om my desk. Hidden under a mountain of sprues, boxes and what not. They joys of cleaning the paint station!

So now I have almost finished my first tactical squad. The back row needs backpacks, the sergeant would need some adjustments to his face, and the bases should be properly done. But i really, really, really hate basing.

I also, forthe first time, tried a glow effect from the plasma weapons. I think it went OK.

C&C always welcome.

gallery_60645_7554_826944.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_304074.jpg

This is a very nice mini, but I have to say, the fact that the combimelta drops down below base level kind of ruins it for me. Could you adjust it a bit, perhaps?

Thank you for the comment. Yes, the bolter looks a bit odd. I'll see if i can adjust it a little

So, having finished one assault squad and a tactical squad (finished as in ready to play but with minor details and some touch ups left) i began my next wip today. It looks like it's going to be a sanguinary priest bult from Sanguinary guard, Death Company, Chaos Terminator and most likely some Dark Eldar Scourges (for those nasty bat wings to the jump pack) I'll also try to magnetise the backpack so he can have either a normal one or a jump pack.

But now i'm not so sure of the huge chaos terminator axe. Perhaps I should switch it to one of the sanguinary guard axes instead?

gallery_60645_7554_83808.jpg

sweet me likey the bat wing idea. That Sang Priest axe is massive. Are you going to use the single thruster jump pack on the sang priest?

Yes, i'll grab one from the sang guard box and add the batwings instead of the normal angel wings.

I'm also working on a librarian (a slightly converted version of the DA one from the DV set.)

I added a "loincloth" with some purity seals to the left shoulder pad to cover the DA badge, cut away a sword from the leg guard, and started painting and i just love the guy! He has a loin cloth, a cloth one his shoulder pad and some sort of triangular cloth on his chest (with a carved off DA logo). I painted those Flesh Eater skin blue (Guess where that came from...) And i'm going to add a Flesh Eater chapter badge tattoo on the flayed skin on the chest and shoulder pad.

I think it's gonna look awesome (I hope). Perhaps I should paint the robe dark (rust) red instead of dirty white though, since i go with a dark blue power armour.

sweet me likey the bat wing idea. That Sang Priest axe is massive. Are you going to use the single thruster jump pack on the sang priest?

Yes, i'll grab one from the sang guard box and add the batwings instead of the normal angel wings.

I'm also working on a librarian (a slightly converted version of the DA one from the DV set.)

I added a "loincloth" with some purity seals to the left shoulder pad to cover the DA badge, cut away a sword from the leg guard, and started painting and i just love the guy! He has a loin cloth, a cloth one his shoulder pad and some sort of triangular cloth on his chest (with a carved off DA logo). I painted those Flesh Eater skin blue (Guess where that came from...) And i'm going to add a Flesh Eater chapter badge tattoo on the flayed skin on the chest and shoulder pad.

I think it's gonna look awesome (I hope). Perhaps I should paint the robe dark (rust) red instead of dirty white though, since i go with a dark blue power armour.

Perhaps that could be your count as Mephiston. I like the flayed skin idea. sounds very Flesh Eatery. You could just file down the dark angel symbol on the left shoulder, and add in rivets. And make it seem he's got mark 6 pattern shoulder armor. Do you have any friends that play Kroot? if so ask them for their bitz. ( trade/ barter) They have nice flaying knives, and hooks some are even carry meats. And there rifle blade make good armor blades, or bolter banonets .

Perhaps that could be your count as Mephiston. I like the flayed skin idea. sounds very Flesh Eatery. You could just file down the dark angel symbol on the left shoulder, and add in rivets. And make it seem he's got mark 6 pattern shoulder armor. Do you have any friends that play Kroot? if so ask them for their bitz. ( trade/ barter) They have nice flaying knives, and hooks some are even carry meats. And there rifle blade make good armor blades, or bolter banonets .

Thanks, for the input. I removed the skin from the left shoulderpad, cut away the DA badge, filed a bit and added green stuff studs. They look horribly huge. Like a marines fist, but that's the smallest i could make them. I didn't have needles at home so i couldn't use the heads as studs (Will do next time, or just buy some tomorrow and redo everything).

I'm not sure about the colour of the armour though. I think i'll repaint most of it red. And leave the shoulder plats blue - librarian style. And the FE chapter badge on the chest triangle needs to be redone. It's a slow work in progress.

No kroot player friends i'm afraid. However i do have tons of CSM bits and WHFB Vampire Counts and Warriors of Chaos bits I can use for knives and such.

C&C is always welcome.

gallery_60645_7554_394727.jpg

gallery_60645_7554_174177.jpg

I also, forthe first time, tried a glow effect from the plasma weapons. I think it went OK.
Looks really strong, like the plasma guns are about to explode. I'd go with something a lot more toned down next time.

Do you have any thought on how to do it? Now i began with a layer of DA green and just experimented from there.

easy way to make studs are roll out a string of green stuff to a nice size then put off to the side, let it dry then use a hobby knife. Cut small cylinders off, and glue to shoulder pads. this works great, even for putting on armor to make it look like heresy pattern style. If you want the more rounded looking studs, once you glue to area, let dry, ten shape the cylinder with hobby knife blade to desired shape.

• 2 weeks later...

So the librarian is almost finished. I abandoned the the idea of using "bat wings" from the Dark Eldar Scourge box since the box just contains two sets of bat wings and three pairs of ordinary bird wings. And I didn't want to pay for the whole damn cow...

So, I repainted him. Red armour with his right shoulderpad blue, and well, that's about it. I also did some "blood lightning" in the base. It's something i figured could symbolise his psychic powers manifesting or something.

The paint job is a bit sloppy. But I blame bad lightning, poor eyesight and general lack of concentration. At least it's a table top worthy mini and that's all I aim for. Now he just needs some finishing touches.

gallery_60645_7554_386839.jpg

Edit: New pic with jump pack.

I like what you've done with the librarian. he looks like he's one bad :) dude. keep them coming

Thanks DC!

I'll highlight the wings and do some final touch ups before i get on to the next thing: Finishing the Sanguinary priest. I'm still not sure about the terminator power axe or if I should switch it to one of the Sang. Guard axes instead. Or give him a Chainsword and have him count as Corbulo...

So the librarian is finished (apart from a few touch ups) and I have taken the Sanguinary Priest as my next project.

He is kitbashed from various boxes, and I replaced his huge Chaos Terminator power axe with something slightly smaller - a WHFB Chaos warrior axe. It is slightly more in proportion to the rest of the mini.

I used other paints on this one.

Chaos Black primer,

P3 Formula as a base coat

P3 Formula Skorne Red as a first layer.

GW Evil Sunz Scarlet as a first high light

GW Wild Rider Red as the second layer.

I have not washed the mini yet. I will most likely do that with a purple wash to get a deeper red/brown tone to the armour.

Usually I go for green "blood" drops and either boltgun metal or some gold on the skull ornamments and shoulder pad trims.

The mini will most likely get a jump pack (single thrustor). Magnetizing would be the best thing to do, but I have lost my magnets somewhere and I'm too impatient to order new ones...

gallery_60645_7554_17869.jpg

C&C is always welcome.

Archived