Flesh Eaters

Snejk

For the Axe for the Terminator Sergeant - when it's not a power fist weapon, the hands are the same size as the power weapon hands. So using a Sanguinary Guard Axe should be good and non-Chaosy enough for a conversion. My Sanguinary Priest in Terminator armor is holding one of those axes, and nothing looks small on that mini.

Do you already have a Stormraven? It's been a while since I read the whole thread... but there's a transport AND a heavy support choice. 

If you are doing one drop pod for the death company, maybe do another for a dread and another for a tactical squad? Then you have three, to make sure 2 come down turn 1. Thats always a fun shocker for a game. Very thematic.

Ahh, I may actually have one of those Sanguinary Axes laying about. Good tip!

No, I don't have a Stormraven. Are they worth their points?

It's good to see this thread bad in action. And yes the SR is worth the points IMHO as I've used it in both roles of gunship, and drop ship of doom. I saw an axe from the warhammer fantasy collection from Krell that would look particularly epic on your FE Sgt. Plus you can use the body, and helmet for a FE chaplain.

I had my hands on a Stormraven box today, but decided that I should just get som bat wings instead so I can finish start on my Vanguard squad, and possibly an counts as Astorath guy. 

I'm using Tyranid Gargoyle wings to make winged Jump packs. Of course they would look even better if I had some Sanguinary guard jump packs, but I think these will look pretty solid as well. And nothing you want to show off to your local Inquisitor who is snooping around, looking for signs of corruption. 

Still Wip, but comments are always nice and welcome. 

The inside or underside or whatever you wish to call it:

Winged Jump Pack Wip

The outside/upper side.

Winged Jump pack Wip 2

Ohh, and another thought that came to mind. The otherday I saw a picture on The Horus Heresy FB page indicating that there will be a plastic box IG Steel Legion infantry comming. I'm thinking that they could make good "allies"/meat shields as a Strigany-thrall regiment for those bigger Apocalypse games. Any thoughts on that?

So, now I have enough winged jump packs to make a vanguard squad and some sort of HQ. I blatantly stole the name for my fearless leader from the Necroscope books by Brian Lumley. Behold: Voivod Faethor Ferenzy.

Voivod Faethor Ferenzy Wip

I'm still trying to figure out what weapons he'll be carrying. I have some thunder hammers, lightning claws, a huge two handed power axe laying about. And I also have some regular axes. I can somehow see him weild two plain axes in a blood crazed fury, chopping off heads left and right. But that does not give much of an AP. 

With the two handed axe he could count as Astorath and have an AP 2 weapon. Lightning claws look cool, and I don't really see him with a hammer.

Sweet, I like it ... a shame that I don't think those wings are exactly commonly cheap and available (are they?).

Will have to keep an eye on this !

The wings are taken from the Tyranid Gargoyle box. http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/catalog/productDetail.jsp?catId=cat440299a&prodId=prod350002a

Some cutting, drilling, wire and greenstuff and they are good on a back pack. 

Thanks guys!

I got a question about fluff for the wings, and this is what I have in mind:

The wings are the result of geneseed blessing/mutation. Marines serving long enough without succumbing to the Black Rage start developing mutations. Possibly a result of the cannibalistic rites where the Flesh Eaters consume their fallen brethern. Instead of being seen as anathema the winged beasts are seen as particularly blessed sons of Sanguinius. He was after all a winged angel of death himself.  

With feathery wings I could see that some would consider this mutation a blessing, but leathery wings are clearly of chaos or xenos origin. You would probably have an easier time explaining that due to the techmarines' skill the mechanical wings on the jump pack look incredibly lifelike. Better add some kind of propulsion system to the back pack though.

I 'd say the Inquisition would send a healthy dose of inferno bombs planetside for even remotely looking Chaotic. And with the mutations concept there were only two mutants that were allowed to live, one being Sanguinius, the other being Magnus. All other's got/get the boot followed with the rightous flame..Just claim your FE's are very, very good at taxodermy, and those are war tophyies from a war torn planet that they got hungry and wanted buffalo chicken wings for dinner.

Edit.. Navigators, Psykers are included in this exception to the flame.

Or just say the army is a counts as, and actually comes from the Vampire theme of Fantasy and relates to space blood vampires, which apparently is how so many people think of Blood Angels as in the first place.  We all know the variety of vampires in modern fantasy now extend to having wings and other beast like features that remotely stay similar to bats.

Either way, it's just a modelling aspect, I like the design.  I'd probably go along the lines of having it as a synthetic wing attachment or holographic projection, long lost forgeworld technology, to simulate creatures that would put fear into the eyes of the enemy to keep and represent the myths of your chapters homeworld.

I 'd say the Inquisition would send a healthy dose of inferno bombs planetside for even remotely looking Chaotic. And with the mutations concept there were only two mutants that were allowed to live, one being Sanguinius, the other being Magnus. All other's got/get the boot followed with the rightous flame..Just claim your FE's are very, very good at taxodermy, and those are war tophyies from a war torn planet that they got hungry and wanted buffalo chicken wings for dinner.

Edit.. Navigators, Psykers are included in this exception to the flame.

What mutation did Magnus have besides being a psyker? I don't think he was a cyclops, but lost his eye in one hof his journeys through the warp. Hmm the artwork seems inconclusive. Most pictures show a lost eye but the Epic model is a veritable cyclops.

I toyed with the idea of the wings being some sort of bio mechanical tech marine device at first but it felt kinda "Meeeeh". And I'd say the Inquisition looks between its fingers regarding other type of mutations and geen seed flaws. Just look at the SW's Wulfen dudes. That's clearly worth purging an entire chapter for from my point of view. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the comments guys!

here are two pics of my second tactical squad. It's not quite finished yet.

The sergeant has a fist, and there is one Melta Gun and one Missile Launcer.

Some combat blades on the marines.

I'm thinking of adding some combat damage to the armour. And perhaps try some weathering powders. And do something to the sergeants skin. And add a Chapter badge to the shoulder plates.

Tactical 2

And a close up.

Tactical 2 close Up

And here is the converted Terminator Sergeant with his new axe. The pic is half assed, and the camera lightning shows how the arm and glove are different shades of red. 

Axe Sergeant

Thanks DC!

Yeah, I love the Chaos terminator axes. Huge  in size and I think they have a nice design.

Now I'm contemplating on building a Sternguard squad and an Honour Guard from some bits and pieces that I have laying around. 

Any suggestions on how to kit the Sternguard?

If used Sternguards I mainly keep to assualt type weapons. No combiweapons unless it was a PF, and combi-melta mix for the sgt. I've not play the new rules yet so take my input with a grain of salt.

As far as honor guards options I like lightning claws. they seem to look nice on blood thirty arines.

I started on my Honor Guard today.

This is Blood Champion Arias, armed with a power axe and a combat shield. Still a work in progress, but you get the idea.

One will have a power fist and the rest will most likely have at least one lightning claw and one will carry the company banner. 

Blood Champion Arias Wip

Arias Wip

• 2 weeks later...

Still working on the Honor Guard for my Flesh Eaters.

Now I have built the whole squad. I have kit bashed them from regular SMs, Sanguinary Guards, DC and Sternguard bits. 

They sport a variety of assault weapons. One fist, one axe, two LCs, two plasma pistols, a flamer, a storm bolter and bolt pistols. And a back banner. 

I guess it'll be a pretty expensive squad if I kit them as WYSIWYG. But they look cool. And that's pretty much all I care about.

Honor guard Wip

Archived