Dechande's true scale thread. 11/09 War walker cockpit added

Dechande

He looks fantastic.  Not sure I'd call him true scale though.  Looks like that'd make him about 16ft tall.

The model is 45mm to eye level, 55mm to the top of the armour. I worked on the basis that if a guardsman is about 30mm and 6 foot then 5mm is around a foot. So 45mm would be 9 feet tall, 11 feet to the top of the armour. That would make the individual inside the armour around 9 foot tall without the armour and bare feet.

I stand corrected.

• 2 months later...

Hi all, I've been very busy lately sculpting lots of parts to make creating new figures a bit quicker. This is the first figure I have made using the parts. The legs, torso, shoulders and blank shield were sculpted first then cast. I then assembled the parts and sculpted the rest.

The figure is inspired by Thor and is in the same scale as the Odin based figure I did in March. It is 45mm to the eye and 55mm to the top. The left hand, right hand and left arm are separate pieces and are held together in the pic with blu-tac, visible in some pics.

Some of the white resin parts are hard to see, I've included pics of the original shoulders I sculpted so you can see the detail. This figure uses the left shoulder with the wolf head.

I hope you like it, any comments and questions welcome.

gallery_62466_10157_108680.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_115465.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_114473.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_126454.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_33280.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_138392.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_130699.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_96894.jpg

gallery_62466_10157_34021.jpg

Edited by Dechande

As great as the sculpting is, I feel like the proportions are off.  He looks a bit too human for a guy in Terminator armor.  Perhaps the pelt is dampening the bulky look of the top and back of the armor by softening it and flattening it out.  Or maybe his head's a bit too big to portray the real size of the armor.

I dunno.  I could very well be the only one who's bugged by it.  And proportions aside, as I said to start with, it's amazing sculpting.

@ Teetengee:

I use 'ProCreate' or greystuff as it's sometimes called and between size 0 and 2 colour and clay shapers. I wouldn't mind doing a tutorial, but tbh I would struggle to find the time and I wouldn't really know where to begin. Time wise, it takes me between 60 and 100 hours to make a model this size.

@ Token:

The runes are all old Norse runes, the runes on the shield spell Mjollnir (The name of Thor's hammer) and the runes on the hammer spell Thor in old Norse.

I've taken a comparison pic next to a couple of guard models. I've based the proportions of the models I have done so far on artwork rather than other models. I think GW SM models for the most part, look odd when looking at the proportions and trying to imagine a large muscular individual encased inside. I've made this model much taller than GW models, as with my previous sculpts. Looking at the artwork and assuming that 30mm equates to around 6 feet, this model is 45mm to the head making it around 9 feet tall. I plan to do some power armoured style models in the future that I will make slightly shorter, around 8 to 8 and a half feet tall. The heads I've sculpted are the same size as GW's SM heads.

gallery_62466_10163_177758.jpg

I think GW SM models for the most part, look odd when looking at the proportions and trying to imagine a large muscular individual encased inside. 

I couldn't agree more. They should be bigger.

Your guy nails it and I'm blown away by the sculpting!

Thank you for the comments chaps.

Wow thats Incredible!

The ProCreate stuff, Does that work well with push molds? and where would I get some cheap?

I've not used it in push molds, although it is less sticky than green stuff (which I have used for push molds in the past), so I imagine it would work fairly well. I'm not sure where the best place for you to get it  is, I'm on the other side of the pond, I have seen it on Amazon though.

Edited by Dechande

To buy it from amazon Canada they want like $30+shipping for 70g!! Amazon US wants $12+ $11 shipping. But to top it off they wont ship to Canada. I eventually found it on Ebay for $10+$4 shipping from Spain. Spain go figure! A store called Green Stuff World

Having recently finished a Thor inspired figure to go with the Odin I did back in March, I had the idea to add a rune priest type model based on Loki. I had originally wanted to do a mask but I couldn't get it to fit the pose. There is less wolf iconography on this model compared to the previous 2, instead using things related to Loki.

Like with my Thor figure, I had some parts cast that I'd made in order to keep things consistent and save some time. Unfortunately though, the resin being white, is difficult to photograph, so apologies for the pictures not being clearer.

Now that I have 3 'space vikings', I'm tempted to do 2 more for a full command set, one of which would be a standard bearer.

It is the same height as my other figures, 45mm to the eye, 55mm to the top. C & c greatly appreciated.

gallery_62466_10228_163492.jpg

gallery_62466_10228_551416.jpg

gallery_62466_10228_4571.jpg

gallery_62466_10228_134138.jpg

gallery_62466_10228_251359.jpg

gallery_62466_10228_104093.jpg

gallery_62466_10228_335454.jpg

Edited by Dechande

Nice work as always.

I love your faces.

One critique/question though, where the belt meets the torso on his right: it seems a little off, is that just a photography thing?

Thanks. That bit is filled in with putty but is shadowed in all of these pics making it look odd. If I get a chance I'll get another pic that's lit better.