Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

I too like it - except (and I may be wrong here), should the sword not be aligned more with the forearm? Otherwise he looks a bit limp-wristed!

Yeah, same thing was pointed out by the chap behind goldfish of justice painting om the eavier metal Facebook group, I have now fixed it :)

todays progress...

left arm was cut off at the elbow, and a gauntlet from a different arm was used, hand then added and the shoulder was cut from the upper arm to be replaced with sanguinary priest one.

right arm i went through a could of plastic ones to try and not have to work with the metal one i had - none of them worked, so eventually cut off the original shoulder pad and replaced it with one from severin loths honour guard, started working on a blood drop for the sword, but pondering just replacing the sword entirely... thoughts?

for torso, i've added a bit more detail to the bit above the cables, will add some rib/muscle tone too i think, but leaving as is for the moment whilst it dries, going to add a chalice to the center of the torso at a friends suggestion - so this guy may actually be the original chapter master of the blood drinkers perhaps??

left leg just needs some rivets added, although i may redo the skull on the knee.

The head is a stand in for the moment to get a feel for how it might look with a bare head, but im toying with various options for the head, including perhaps an Age of Sigmar head as a deathmask (if i can find one).

Also added ornaments to various parts of the model, want him to have a lot of little trophies and stuff. WIll have to think about painting him soon too.

gallery_14877_7794_146538.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_426940.jpg

Bare head actually works pretty well.  Whether you go with it or a helmet, both seem to get the job done, so dealer's choice.  Obviously still some mold lines to deal with on the right arm/hand/sword.  Speaking of, I think I'd just stick with that sword.

I think I'm going to:

Do a bare head AND the helmet. Then magnetise them.

Do a jump pack and the current backpack and magnetise those too.

I might sculpt digital weapons on his left gauntlet (as per the tycho model)

What should I do about a holster? Not sure where to fit one due to the pose...

For base, I'm thinking I might have him on steps, and then make a diorama base ala the character series... thinking I might do an enemy character on another base to fit it too... maybe nightlords?

Have done some more work on him this evening, will get a photo or two tomorrow.

so, i decided i didnt like the chalice - plus it probably isnt appropriate for heresy BA where the whole significance of chalices has not come to pass.

I also wasnt happy with the area around the waist.

as such i've redone both, hopefully people approve, but im much happier with it.

gallery_14877_7794_132101.jpg

@ Dosjetka: Cheers man, much appreciated biggrin.png, not sure id describe it as churning out though haha! my pile of 'to do' stuff is getting a bit out of hand, too many half built things... not to mention a distinct lack of finished paint jobs...

@Soric: Cheers! I think the little detailing on the chest has helped make him be a little less plain, glad to see it feels appropriate to the IX

@hushrong: Thanks! smile.png

@Firepower: Yeah, quite possibly true, not sure where though - i had a go at adding flicks to the detail on the chest this evening and it failed miserably... running out of steam i think tongue.png

@LutherMax: Thanks man, glad you approve!

@Insane Psychopath: very much appreciated, i disagree on you being unable to sculpt, i think everyone can if they try, just take your time, considering your converting and painting skills im sure you could sculpt something cool. As for Mephiston... see the end of this post, ive not put any more paint on him as im waiting till i can buy a new compressor.

@captainblow: the wrist wasnt more extended, but the angle was different, it was angled downward which i think gave the illusion, however the overall position of the arm was different by a bit too i think, during the process of me removing the shoulder pad and testing a plastic one i think something never quite went together in the same way, however the extended position i had was nowhere near as obvious as the image i think. Hopefully gonna start painting this guy tomorrow.

@CaptainStabby: Thanks man, He's a Praetor, although he may get demoted if FW release a particularly spiffy Praetor type character for BA one day (or i want to make another one!!)

Today I've been working on making bases for a devastator squad, nothing too exciting, mostly just miliput to give an uneven surface, plus some resin bits and stones, plasticard etc... didnt bother getting a picture as i've not even got sand on em yet (plus they arent very exciting).

Outside of that I (as noted above) had a go at doing a bit more with the filigree, which didnt pan out very well, so the two flicks closest to his arms have gotten a little thicker bit as intended, but the rest probably wont get it.

Insane Psychopath, this is where mephiston stands:

med_gallery_14877_7794_206698.jpgmed_gallery_14877_7794_290468.jpg

I think i may go back and add blood vials to his belt and add the missing horns to the skulls on his hood.

edit - the sword is a cop out, i never managed to work out a good option, Dosjetka was awesome and sent me a DA one that looked cool, but was even bigger than the one i've used. Really i need to learn how to make weapons at this scale and recreate his original sword. I did originally want to use the warhammer chaos sorcerer one as a basis, but was never able to get ahold of one.

Archived