Blood Angels Blog

Blindhamster

• 2 weeks later...

not much more done on Dante, I've made a reasonably simple base for him, its a ruined tiled floor with pipes under it and rubble strewn around, when painting i will probably go for traditional black and white tiles, or perhaps i'll do a mural... not sure, beyond that, not much more done on him, whites are mostly done and i started silver areas but thats about it (didnt bother to get a picture for that reason).

I have however done some other stuff (whilst watching 'The Strain' late at night...)

Another tactical squad has been moved over to the 32mm bases, just need to add some barbed wire to a few and paint them. That makes 4 tactical squads moved, and 2 assault squads moved.
gallery_14877_7794_447010.jpg

switched out bolt pistols on a number of my vanguard for grav pistols, most of these guys need to be rebased still, have started on 9th member to the squad, who will likewise get a grav pistol and chainsword. Final member will then get a storm shield and hammer most likely or perhaps a shield and lightning claw, not sure.

gallery_14877_7794_182008.jpg

You can just about see Mephiston in the background, he has a base see... but no sword still, Dosjetka is sorting me out though smile.png (thanks again man)

Also started on an assault squad that will get jump packs, i may remove the fist on the sergeant in favour of a sword or glaive tbh.

gallery_14877_7794_297570.jpg

I made an assault squad on foot last week, but need to do bases for them all (takes quite a while to do and not motivated enough to do them right now).

You can see behind the WIP assault squad many legs... that will become a breacher squad for heresy games, also have a devastator squad to finish (needs 3 more models) and another devastator squad (the new kit) to build). Then there are some terminators to suppliment the ones I've already built to be a 5 man and a 10 man squad, plus a second storm raven, 2 death company dreadnaughts and a bunch more random infantry...

oh and im picking up a couple more of the BA upgrade sprues to intersperse the shoulderpads through the army tomorrow :D

made a bit more progress last night, undercoated my deredeo, a mk4 dread, the 7 new assault marines with jump packs and a 10 man assault squad on foot. I then started with a first coat of red on the lot of it...

gallery_14877_7794_454438.jpg

also did a second coat of red on my sternguard...

gallery_14877_7794_329625.jpg

also removed the heads from all my assault marines so i could replace them and spray the replacements white then yellow. The heads have also had a careful wash of riekland fleshshade added to them, i'll be highlighting with an averlund sunset/white mix most likely, although im not 100% on my plan for the yellow...

gallery_14877_7794_394191.jpg

did the same for the currently built devastator squad, but with blue obviously.

gallery_14877_7794_298267.jpg

not the most exciting shots, but mostly to prove im doing stuff and to try and keep myself motivated for a change!

I'm looking forward to seen more update on the Blood Angels, look like you've got a lot of cool units to get painted over the next while.

Also thanks, one of the assault marine helmet (far right in the photo) reminded me I need to pick up the FW Grey Knight Tank commander set for my Iron Warriors.

I've always been a fan of your stuff BlindHamster - I'll be using this as inspiration when the time comes to redo my Blood Angel army. Could you tell me, the final highlight you use for the red, is there a citadel equivalent?

Thanks guys :) much appreciated.

I've got progress pics to put up in a bit - it's been a reasonably productive weekend :o

Xenith - yeah, we'll see how long that takes to happen! (i have one half finished squad, and lots of squads in various states, and i keep building more, because I prefer building to painting.

LutherMax - nice one :) I likewise enjoy seeing updates on your blog (speaking of... ;) )

Insane Psychopath - thanks, I try to make each model look cool, although I admittedly dont go to the levels i once did (typically), I'm hoping I can make decent progress over the coming months, I joined a gaming group (plays games other than 40k, but it is one that gets played there), and as such I've got a bit of motivation for a change :). Also, yes, the grey knight helmet is rather nice.

punkfish - cheers! as for similar colour from GW, brown rose is pretty similar to the old dwarf flesh colour, you're looking for a slightly orange pink colour... like salmon.

okay, im about to call it a night, i didnt get pictures of a couple of things (stuff thats been sprayed red and still in the garage)

However, here are progress pictures of 3rd companies 7th and 8th squads (if you go back to page one, you'll see their original incarnations... most of the models got reworked or totally replaced since then, and obviously new bases plus actual paint... but still, weapons on sergeants and squad members remains about the same lol...

gallery_14877_7794_319325.jpg

gallery_14877_7794_197757.jpg

3rd Companies 9th squad (devastator) progress:

gallery_14877_7794_105737.jpg

3rd companies 1st squad (tactical) - this one actually retains quite a few of the models from the 1st post almost exactly as they were, replaced the sergeant completely, and a couple of other members, anyway, bases are in progress, they'll get stuck back to them once i've got the base colours for the bases done. Also started on the sergeants head.

gallery_14877_7794_167739.jpg

1st company 7th squad (vanguard) progress - these guys need to be rebased, but im up to 9 squad members now, varying from reposed custom ones to heavily converted standard vets to marginal converted ones lol. some of them have had a level of shading applied, some haven't.

gallery_14877_7794_313089.jpg

Head for 8th company 3rd squad sergeant:

gallery_14877_7794_21166.jpg

oh and where Dante currently is:

gallery_14877_7794_211481.jpg

• 2 months later...

I've not been completely idle, not done a whole lot of painting, but have been playing about with the Betrayal at Calth models this week....

med_gallery_14877_7794_100246.jpg

New Sergeant for my sternguard (demoting the old one to a veteran) The squad will also work well as seekers in 30k.

gallery_14877_7794_315833.jpg

Cataphractii terminator squad, the captain from BaC got demoted to a sergeant. I need to do a bit of GS work on the left arm to sculpt some pteruges. Quite happy with the assault cannon (I figured id make one because BA and IF get the option in 30k...

Got a (very) early birthday gift from my parents - a very nice display cabinet, with enough room for 4 shelves (it has 3 at the moment). So put this in there...

gallery_14877_7794_78037.jpg

outside of that, I've built two more assault squads (one on foot and one with packs), a random heavy flamer marine as an optional model to swap into tactical squads, a sicaran, the fancy new BA chaplain, oh and i put a sword on Mephiston, ended up coping out somewhat after so many swords were too big or not interesting enough but it looks reasonable.

Will maybe get some more pictures tomorrow, particularly if i can motivate myself to paint.

I've not been completely idle, not done a whole lot of painting, but have been playing about with the Betrayal at Calth models this week....

med_gallery_14877_7794_100246.jpg

New Sergeant for my sternguard (demoting the old one to a veteran) The squad will also work well as seekers in 30k.

gallery_14877_7794_315833.jpg

Cataphractii terminator squad, the captain from BaC got demoted to a sergeant. I need to do a bit of GS work on the left arm to sculpt some pteruges. Quite happy with the assault cannon (I figured id make one because BA and IF get the option in 30k...

Those are great looking conversions. Would you mind walking me through how you did the "demotion conversion" and the assault cannon conversion?

Is the pointing fist from the BaC box?

The demotion was fairly straightforward, I just cut the parts of the cloak on the original torso free very carefully with a knife, trimmed them as fine as possible so they wouldn't get in the way.

Then I clipped off the leg from the torso (again making sure there was plenty of space left over).

The torso just fits in place without issue after that.

For the arm I just used a regular power armour arm, cut it in half below the elbow and stuck it in place. I then used GS to make it look like MK4 armour.

Assault cannon was the space wolf one, heavy bolter ammo box replacing thr belt feed. I cut the regular arm off and cut the heavy flamer from the cataphractii arm, then it was just a little filling to do. Will probably add a little BA bling to it.

@Doghouse. Cheers mate :) I am as always poor at updating things, made worse due to me.going in fits and starts with my hobby time lol

The demotion was fairly straightforward, I just cut the parts of the cloak on the original torso free very carefully with a knife, trimmed them as fine as possible so they wouldn't get in the way.

Then I clipped off the leg from the torso (again making sure there was plenty of space left over).

The torso just fits in place without issue after that.

For the arm I just used a regular power armour arm, cut it in half below the elbow and stuck it in place. I then used GS to make it look like MK4 armour.

Assault cannon was the space wolf one, heavy bolter ammo box replacing thr belt feed. I cut the regular arm off and cut the heavy flamer from the cataphractii arm, then it was just a little filling to do. Will probably add a little BA bling to it.

Thanks for the info, but I actually meant the terminator sergeant. I was looking for a way to change the BaC Praetor's chainfist to a power sword/paragon blade and your conversion does exactly that, possibly even without extra bits.

I forgot to comment on the extra bling on the terminators. The wing looks great, it is a much better size for the catapharctii than for the PA marines. The other decorations look a bit weird though. The rondel is much too high to protect the armpit of Mr. Pointy and protecting both arms would also be a good idea. Unless the other accessory is supposed to be purely ornamental, it has the same problem.

The winged skull looks good on the terminator, but I'm not sure that was a popular ornament during the heresy.

Winged skull I believe was a sign of someone that fought at terra.

For the other bits of bling, yes tbh I was viewing them as purely ornamental, can't see that sort of stuff protecting a suit of terminator armour much. But fair points nonetheless.

The terminator captain/sergeant arm swap was just a case of cutting a fair bit of the provided power sword cataphractii arm off so it fits. Tbh I got pretty lucky that my cutting fits near perfectly. Although the pteruges need some gs work.

I built some of the BA terminators today to finish up the assault terminator squad and regular terminator from space hulk. Good fun. Will post pictures later.

Also made some progress on Dante, gold is slow going but looking okay.

Thanks for the kind words! Depressing to see how long this has been going, I have 5 finished models and about 150 built and and partially painted infantry models plus a vehicle pool... just always get distracted and lack time...

Depressing to see how long this has been going, I have 5 finished models and about 150 built and and partially painted infantry models plus a vehicle pool... just always get distracted and lack time...

Well youve cheered me up, BH!!

I have about 10 finished models. :P

Depressing to see how long this has been going, I have 5 finished models and about 150 built and and partially painted infantry models plus a vehicle pool... just always get distracted and lack time...

Well youve cheered me up, BH!!

I have about 10 finished models. tongue.png

Me to. I'm at least seventeen years into the hobby...

Archived