Wow, these are some really amazing tutorials! Great work, I need to try this. What Im most interested in is how they look once they have been painted.

Is there any chance you can make a tutorial for more knightly helmets?

Edited by Anaziel

Thanks Anaziel <_<

I'm currently working on my crusade era army project. Over on General PCA Questions is my page about which legion I should do. I'd be happy for some suggestions :P

As for knightly helmets, they're the plan for the DA Legion details so you shouldn't need to wait to long :wacko:

If I don't post again til then, have a very merry christmas :)

GV

Dark Angels, great, precisely what I was looking for haha.

But a simple question, do you have any recomendations for a newbie in the art of sculpting? Ive never been good with greenstuff and mostly because of fear for damaging the minis.

BTW: And a merry christmas for you too brother.

But a simple question, do you have any recomendations for a newbie in the art of sculpting? Ive never been good with greenstuff and mostly because of fear for damaging the minis.

Personally, I'd say get some silicon clay shapers - they're a great improvement over the old metal GW tool I used to use. They can make whatever you're sculpting much MUCH smoother than with using other tools. :huh:

Personally, I'd say get some silicon clay shapers - they're a great improvement over the old metal GW tool I used to use. They can make whatever you're sculpting much MUCH smoother than with using other tools. :huh:

Hmm How expensive are they (in euroes, please if possible)? I have a kit, but its all blades, no blunt or pointy tools.

Personally, I'd say get some silicon clay shapers - they're a great improvement over the old metal GW tool I used to use. They can make whatever you're sculpting much MUCH smoother than with using other tools. :)

Hmm How expensive are they (in euroes, please if possible)? I have a kit, but its all blades, no blunt or pointy tools.

I got mine from ebay but atm individual silicon tools (ranging from 'soft' to 'firm') cost between £3 and £10 here in the UK, which translates roughly to €4 and €13 respectively. However that's just from looking at UK retailers and also not at complete sets (which, incidentally, usually range between £12 to £20). I don't know what European retailers actually charge though, I'm afraid.

Personally, I'd say get some silicon clay shapers - they're a great improvement over the old metal GW tool I used to use. They can make whatever you're sculpting much MUCH smoother than with using other tools. :)

I got mine from ebay but atm individual silicon tools (ranging from 'soft' to 'firm') cost between £3 and £10 here in the UK, which translates roughly to €4 and €13 respectively. However that's just from looking at UK retailers and also not at complete sets (which, incidentally, usually range between £12 to £20). I don't know what European retailers actually charge though, I'm afraid.

Okay, I guess I will have to look around on Ebay or my local area for something similar. Thanks for the help.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So Veteris, I tried out the MK II tutorial (for the helmet) and a question came up: what mix of green stuff do you use? How much blue and yellow, since blue makes it tougher and yellow makes it better for details (or atleast thats what I read in another tutorial).

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Olis: are you Gawain? This thread together with your huron conversion are some of my favourites. I guess you dont have anything else like this planned?

Oh sorry, i missed the timestamps!

If only I was so devious. :P

• 3 weeks later...

Hello Brothers,

Its been a long time. This is the first in a series of new HH tutorials. They focus on Legion Specific and other more general details. The first is for use in my BaC Ultramarines force. I was turned off by the FW Invictarii kits but I was gratified to see that immitating them requires a much more toned down approach to my MKIV method. I will be editing a list below for future projects so take a look and let me know what you'd most like to see.

gallery_42599_11488_149984.jpg

Step 1. Start by clearing away the face grill of the helmet making the space from the eye lenses to the bottom of the head and up to the 'ears' plain.
gallery_42599_11488_755199.jpg
Step 2. Next place one or two blobs of GS in the area you've just cleared. Don't worry if there's a little too much because you can push that away later on.
I already mentioned how some of the FW legion upgrades lend themselves to a simple chop and change job on the torsos. Just shave off the belt buckle and blend the 'T' shape MKIV element underneath any chest details you want to keep. This will be especially useful for EC and BA collectors. See below how I have kept this chest detail for a lazy man's MKIV.

gallery_42599_11488_773243.jpg
Step 3. Smooth over the putty into the sweeping wing shape, the points going just behind the ears. Also push a small rectangle into the center to form the body.

gallery_42599_11488_804716.jpg
Step 4. Score a line, first under the pinions of each wing, and then to form the two segments of feathers. You can also score lines to segment the body of the eagle. Shape the head by carefully pushing a little of the very top of the rectangle up with your tool and then squashing it back down. When you have a rough shape of what you're looking for, leave it alone and come back to it when the putty is a little firmer and tidy up.

gallery_42599_11488_709341.jpg
Step 5. With your sharp tool score some lines between each of the feathers, remembering to slant them underneath the feather above. I uses two lines to make three feathers on the first segments and three lines to make four feathers on the second segment.

gallery_42599_11488_915224.jpg
Step 6. This last stage is just to clean up the lines and smooth out the wings. I use soft grade clayshapers for this step because they have more give to them.

gallery_42599_11488_149984.jpg
And there we have it. One Invictarii Helmet. If you're modelling a few Invictarii or EC marines then you can do these in a conveyor belt. I took about 20 minutes from start to finish with this guy. Below is a list of other HH tutorial projects which I WILL pursue over the next few weeks. In fact I intend to do another one for later today so keep an eye out.

I Dark Angels

· The Robes on 31st Millennium

III Emperor’s Children

· Palatine Blades blades (As in: their swords…)

IV Iron Warriors

V White Scars

· Windswept Plumes

VI Space Wolves

VII Imperial Fists

· Lightning Bolts

VIII Night Lords

· Bat Wing Details

IX Blood Angels

X Iron Hands

XII World Eaters

XIII Ultramarines

· Invictarii Helmets and Armour

· Praetorian/Macragge Variant Helmets

XIV Deathguard

XV Thousand Sons

· K’son Pattern Helmets

· Sorcerer’s Robes

· Legiones Astartes Psykers

XVI Sons of Horus

XVII Word Bearers

· Books and Papyri

· Gal’Vorbak Style Armour

XVIII Salamanders

· Beaten Metal Texture

· Flame Details

· Drake Cloaks

XIX Ravenguard

· Recon Squad Cloaks

XX Alpha Legion

Miscellaneous

· Transverse and Obverse Helmet Crests

· Heresy Era(ish) Chainswords

· Cloaks, Ropes and Loincloths in the 31st Millennium

Many thanks for the interest as always guys. Let me know what you think. Look our for updates.

GV

Edited by Gawain Veteris