Andys Dark Angels

Bunta

Thanks mate, much appreciated! I was pretty annoyed about the lack of options with that one pose. I am considering doing some ebaying to see if I can complete my wall!

I've got something similar in my wip thread made from DV terminators. For the knight master I was planning to use the sergeant and convert him to swing the flail over his head but I need to ebay a new shield and weapon hand for him as that model is left handed but it's a cool action pose for a base.

The only criticism I have of your poses is that you need a little more action in them. I've used the guy with the tilted shield and given him a mace that he's holding horizontally to make it look like they have HoW'd and are now throwing the enemy back and smiting them. 

I have a horizontal mace guy, and you are right, I think it would look better with the tilted shield, as the look you describe is exactly what i was going for, Thanks!

• 1 year later...

Hi everyone! Its been a while since I picked up the brushes, I have finally finished my command squad. I attempted sculpting for the first time on the shoulder pad of my plasma gunner and decided to push myself a little and tackle the Dark Angels banner bearer. I hope you guys like it! Any comments and criticisms welcome.

Cheers Andy

gallery_69747_9444_14712.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_980.jpggallery_69747_9444_60101.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_9439.jpggallery_69747_9444_36921.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_11187.jpggallery_69747_9444_2369.jpg

Great job on the sculpting!  It did not occur to me that it was sculpted until I read your post.  I like the load out and the bases too! 

The only thing that I would have done differently would be painting the skulls a contrasting color, either bone or metal, on  the plasma gunner's back pack.  That aside, your command squad looks awesome!

Thanks mate. I tried not to make him look too blingy but upon review I agree that it does need doing. Perhaps very dark silver.

Forgot to mention that I got a new camera. Makes photos a lot easier! Also discovered that the book case in our living room makes a good light box. Hopefully my pics are a lot better from now on!

Testors dull coat is the preferred Matte varnish spray. As for drilling holes, I use my girlfriends scrap booking took, its a retractable needle, very strong. I use that to first poke a hole in the very center of each barrel and then use the pin vice to widen the gap

/edit and thanks to mobile view mode I just answered a page one question on page 4.....

• 2 weeks later...

Had a productive day today, Codex, Transfers (forgot to include them) Tactical Squad and Upgrade patch all ready to go for my next addition to my little force smile.pnggallery_69747_9444_46228.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

gallery_69747_9444_16729.jpg

just finished the first 3 members of my new tactical squad. I am crazy happy with these! Everything just turned out right. My new drybrush is awesome, green shade is better than thrakka green, the 'new' tactical squad is amazing and the Dark angels upgrade pack and decals are totally worth it, they are just beautiful!

I think these turned out really well!  The sergeant pose is awesome.  The front robe on the Sarge, that didn't come in the box of tacticals.  Where did you find that at?

What's everyone's opinions on metallic chest eagles on dark angels. My first tac squad is bone,and that seems to be what everyone does. But I painted my most recent one gunmetal and I sort of love it! My girlfriend prefers the first lot so I was wanting a tie breaking opinion! Thoughts anyone?

What's everyone's opinions on metallic chest eagles on dark angels. My first tac squad is bone,and that seems to be what everyone does. But I painted my most recent one gunmetal and I sort of love it! My girlfriend prefers the first lot so I was wanting a tie breaking opinion! Thoughts anyone?

gallery_69747_9444_16729.jpg

just finished the first 3 members of my new tactical squad. I am crazy happy with these! Everything just turned out right. My new drybrush is awesome, green shade is better than thrakka green, the 'new' tactical squad is amazing and the Dark angels upgrade pack and decals are totally worth it, they are just beautiful!

I hate you. Just when I was about to pick up a paint brush, I see this, and now I go back to my corner crawl into the fetal position and just start to cry again. :P

Thanks call of the hunt. I did gold on my deathwing too. Looked much better than the wierd green they do! Seems my eye is off. No one likes the silver but me! Haha

Thanks for the compliment HsojVvad. Honestly the way I paint these is super simple. I think more or less anyone could do the same and get the same result in terms of the green, and the metallic and bone is just the well established processes most people use. Would a few progress pics help?

The eyes are painted silver with tamia clear red over the top. To get them neat I find starting at the back of the lense and move the tip of the brush towards the front of the lense. Seems to work best as the most paint is on the brush at the thickest part of the eye and runs out as you get to the thinnest part. Will post a step by step next time I am painting green.

The eyes are painted silver with tamia clear red over the top. To get them neat I find starting at the back of the lense and move the tip of the brush towards the front of the lense. Seems to work best as the most paint is on the brush at the thickest part of the eye and runs out as you get to the thinnest part. Will post a step by step next time I am painting green.

Looking forward to it. I get the gist but would be nice to see a step by step tutorial. 

Archived