Andys Dark Angels

Bunta

Alrighty, I have had a couple of people ask me how I do my green, I'm not a great painter and I cheat a bit, so I thought I would share how I get a decent green with very little in the way of talent!

Step 1, From a black undercoat, drybrush heavily (ie just give the brush a few wipes off so it isn't runny but still fairly paint laden.) in Caliban Green. Go all directions to ensure a nice coverage. It should look like this.

gallery_69747_9444_10791.jpg

Next drybrush in the usual manner (take care to get the brush dry and work with light pressure in all directions) with snot green (not sure what it is called now). The model will look a little like this

gallery_69747_9444_22950.jpg

Next up I very lightly dry brush with Goblin Green (once again dont know what it is called now!) and by very lightly i mean super dried off brush and mostly very gentle strokes in a downward direction ONLY. Your marine will now look like this

gallery_69747_9444_18194.jpg

Next we hit it pretty hard with a Coelia Greenshade wash. I slap it on there pretty heavy. I actually probably didn't do enough on this guy, but your guy should be looking a little like this

gallery_69747_9444_21664.jpg

Finally we give it a Waywatcher Green Glaze

gallery_69747_9444_21664.jpg

And there we have it, the average mans easy DA green! Hope that helps someone!

I find the paint also cures a little over time and gets darker, so if you are finding yourself with the urge to do another layer of wash or something just wait a day as for some reason it does darken over time.

I like that - it's a lot like the recipe I use, but you go a bit harder on the 'bright' layers. I think I might do that to brin them up a bit before toning down with the glaze.

The photos have sealed it for me - thanks!

I've heard what you describe in your First Step being called "over brushing". Don't know where I picked that up from but it works for me. The guide looks sharp and easy to grasp. Now all you have to do is teach everyone to paint red. Trust me, that would have gotten a laugh in the olden days. Oh, Red Gore, I'm so glad you're gone.

Keep it up thumbsup.gif!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello again,

I have finally finished off my tactical squad! Was lots of fun but it was the first time in a while I had painted a 10 man squad, sort of took it out of me! lol

anyway here they are, as always happy to hear your thoughts!

gallery_69747_9444_4241.jpg gallery_69747_9444_17008.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_15943.jpg gallery_69747_9444_7226.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_29627.jpg gallery_69747_9444_16529.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_12228.jpg gallery_69747_9444_15551.jpg

gallery_69747_9444_32773.jpggallery_69747_9444_49122.jpg

I'm really impressed with how well your dry brush method turns out. The little touches from the upgrade frame have also been used to great effect (I'm still a little disappointed we didn't get our own tac squad).

• 4 months later...

Hi all. Merry Christmas! my nephew wanted a a figurine for Christmas...and wanted it to be painted so I whipped this up for him. I painted him as the leader of a Deathwing Strike Force so I figured a Deathwing shoulder pad would be good. And I felt like he would look good conjuring a fireball to hurl! I made it our od some steel wool and then dipped it in craft glue, I think it worked! Let me know what you think!

And another Dark Angels player is born!

gallery_69747_9444_11479.jpg
gallery_69747_9444_112965.jpg

Now that is a cool present. The fire ball is steel wool and craft glue! I never would have thought of that. I would have automatically set too with green stuff and turned out something that looked worse following hours of effort.  

• 3 months later...

gallery_69747_9444_43332.jpg

This isn't strictly Dark Angels, so feel free to remove it if you want to, but I recently bought Deathwatch over kill and they will be part of my dark angels army too, so I thought it might be appropriate!

This game contains some really great models!

Archived