The Tempestas Crusade [ETL IV: VINDICATOR! VOW COMPLETE!]

Urkh

The aformentioned neophytes

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/neophytes_zps3e887c86.jpg

I guess it's time to start on some drop pods!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, I have a game on Sunday against my friend who plays Necrons, Which I plan on giving you guys a Batrep for. My third Drop Pod is almost finished being painted, so I wanted to write a list that incorporated them into my strategy. So far, what I've been able to come up with is the following:

HQ
Emperor's Champion: Suffer Not

Master of Sanctity: Terminator Armor, Power Sword

Marshal: Artificer Armor, Storm Shield, Power Fist, Teleport Homer, Frag and Krak Grenades (for shooting purposes mostly)

Elites:

Terminator Assault Squad: x5 TH/SS Terminators. (Start in Reserve withe Chaplain, want to come in by the teleport homer)

Terminator Squad: x5 Terminators, x2 CML, Tank Hunters

Venerable Dreadnought: Heavy Flamer, Multi-Melta, Tank Hunters, Drop Pod

Troops:
Crusader Squad: x9 Initiates, Melta/p. sword, Drop Pod (Marshal Here)

Crusader Squad: x9 Initiates, Melta/P. Sword, Drop Pod (EC Here)

Crusader Squad: x5 Initiates, Plasma Cannon.

Crusader Squad: x5 Initiates, Plasma Cannon

Fast Attack:
x3 Landspeeder Typhoons

Heavy Support:
Vindicator: Searchlights

Total: 1997

My biggest issue is that I don't have an ADL with a quad gun. He does that a single night/doom scythe that he brings most of the time, and I'm expecting it here. He normally brings a big 10 man squad of Warscythe Lychguard and a 20 man blob of warriors protecting Imotekh, so that's why i want the vindicator. What i think is really going to hurt me is his tendancy to bring 10 man Royal Courts with only their staves of light, which if they get to shoot at my squads in the pods, my men WILL die to do AP3 and three shots each. So, there's a lot of target priority going on in the very beginning of the game. I just don't know what I would want to get rid of in order to bring the ADL w/ Quad gun.

I bring to you, Incursion Fleet Monsoon!

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/monsoon_zps38659180.jpg

These three drop pods will be playing in their first game in the above list on sunday against my friends necrons, as stated earlier. I still need to find a way to fit in an ADL w/ Quad Gun, however.

You may also notice that the title of the thread has changed to "The Tempestas Crusade". Tempestas is "Storm" or "Weather" in latin, and seeing as weather and storms are now my theme, we get that!

I've decided to go with a slightly different strategy than originally planned. Instead of using the podded dread as a "blow up a vehicle fast", and other pods as harassment, I'm going to just run it as a ven dread with the heavy flamer, assault cannon, and no tank hunters, and I'm going to blow up his troops to the best of my ability. The Vindi plus the dread should be able to take out a large amount of warriors, and my podded crusaders with support fire will attempt to take out his immortals. Since most missions are objective based, I figure taking out the largest source of scoring he has will severely cripple him. Also, I've decided to change the meltaguns in my podded squads to plasma guns, and I've cut a typhoon. All the points I've shaved off lets me take the ADL w/ Quad Gun to shoot down that Doomscythe when it come onto the board. Battle is tomorrow, what do you guys think?

Edit: Game got postponed to monday. Wish me luck!

Ok guys, time for the battle report between my Black Templars and my friends Necrons. This was a pretty interesting game as both of us rolled quite poorly throughout it, resulting in lots of casualties on both sides (though he did make some outstanding saves on my turn 1). My list is as described above, with the changes in post 30. His list was as follows

HQ
Orikan the Diviner
Overlord w/ mindshackle scarabs, sempiternal weave, rez orb, warscythe
Royal Court: x3 lords, x1 lord with rez orb, x1 storm cryptek w/ lightning field

Royal Court: x3 lords, x1 lord with rez orb, x1 storm cryptek w/ lightning field (i just noticed that this court is illegal as orikan isn't an overlord. Oh well!)

Elites
x10 Lychguard w/ Warsythes (overlord here)

Troops
x20 warriors with gauss blasters (Orikan here)
X10 Immortals with Tesla Carbines

Fast Attack
X3 Wraiths w/ whip coils
x3 Tomb Blades w/ nebuloscopes and twin-linked gauss blasters

Heavy Support
Annihilation Barge: Twin Linked Tesla Destructor, Tesla Cannon

Annihilation Barge: Twin Linked Tesla Destructor, Tesla Cannon

We rolled Hammer and anvil deployment, and we played The relic. My warlord trait allowed me reroll reserves (the one i wanted!) and his gave all his units within 12'' of the warlord move through cover. Turn 1 is also night fighting.

Now for the fun part. SOME PICS! The solid white terrain pieces block line of sight, as well as the blocks of the green trees. The pond where the relic is located at is dangerous terrain. We have no ruins to use on our boards, sadly.

Necron deployment:
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/necrondeployment_zps715ec10d.jpg

Left to right: Wraiths, lychguard w/ overlord, tomb blades (destroyers are proxies), warriors w/ orikan, immortals, court, barge, court, barge

Templar Deployment:
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/templardeployment_zpsf52806df.jpg

left to right: Land speeders, Tank hunting terminators, quad gun (forgot it at home so used a dice cap!), plasma cannon squad, vindi, plasma cannon squad

Templar Reserves:
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/templarreserves_zps5942419f.jpg

Three drop pods, two crusader squads, one with EC, one with Marshal, one with a ven dred with heavy flamer and assault cannon, and a 5 man TH/SS terminator squad with my chaplain.

Turn 1: 
Necrons: The lychguard move toward the table edge of the LoS blocking terrain, while the wraiths and blades move forward to still get cover from the woods. the warriors oddly move and stay quite out in the open. The barges, courts, and immortals all move towards my left flank. The barges both fire on my terminators, killing 1 of them. nothing else of his is in range, and they zeal forward 4". 4 of the Warriors get back up from rez protocols. The Blades fire on my Vindicator, do nothing. No Assaults.

Templars: My crusader Squad pod is aimed at just in front of the terrain with the relic, but scatters 9" towards the wraiths and bikes.I move into the terrain with the relic, hoping to pick it up and position my marshal for a nice terminator deepstrike the next turn.  I place the dread pod in the same place as I aimed for the first to land originally, and it scatters 2" the opposite direction. The Dread moves right up next to the Warrior Squad. Speeders and Terminators fire at one of the Barges, but poor rolling results in many misses, and only remove 1 hull point, that means it no longer has quantum shielding. My Dread Fires at the Warriors, managing 4 assault cannon hits and 11 flamer hits. the flamer takes down 7 warriors, and then Orikan saves the rest of the flamer hits, and then all but one of the assault cannon hits. Because of the positioning of the crusader's pod, My vindi cannot really make out the warrior squad to fire on, so it moves to the far right part of the ADL and fires on the wraiths, resulting in all his 3++'s being made and no wraiths die, although two blades did end up dieing, even though he wasn't targeted by the blast! Plasma cannon squads do nothing, especially since one gets hot, but armor save is made.

No charges.

End of T1
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/turn1_zps53c76ac4.jpg

Turn 2:
Necrons: Orkian becomes EMPOWERED! The Barges stay put, but the two courts move next to the dread's pod. The wraiths continue to hide in the cover my pod, while the warriors back up from the dread. The Immortals moved into the terrain with LoS blocking trees on the boarders. 
The Warriors shoot at the Dread, but only manage two glances despite hitting about 16 times. The last remaining bike fires his gauss gun, and manages to wreck my venerable one. The Royal Court that is in range fires on the marshal's crusader squad and gets many wounds for me to roll saves on. Unfortuantely, i roll a ton of 1's, and by the end of everything, the squad is reduced to only two crusaders. Even the marshal died to their fire. The barges fire on the Shooty terminators, but fail to do anything. At this point, there was nothing the immortals could see to fire at. The crusader squad passed their moral check, and zealed towards the wraiths, however, even after me hinting that he was forgetting something, he didn't charge them.

Necrons have first blood and slay the warlord

Templars: I take my Reserve rolls, my Pod does not come in, but the terminators do. I set them down near the annihilation barges and courts, and they scatter 2'' back. The vindi moves back to its original position, while one of my cannon squads moves forward to try and claim the relic. I move the two marines to the other side of the pod, even though it's not really going to accomplish anything. 
My Landspeeders fire at the nearest royal court, and completely wipe them out. My shooty terminators fire at the other royal court, reducing them to 3. The vindicator fires at the wraiths, as the warriors are too far away and the lychguard and immortals are out of LOS. All the invulns are saved. Then I shoot my two crusader squads at them. my plasma cannon guy kills himself, but the bolters manage to wound one of them. The other squad manages to finish off that one, and another wraith dies to my drop pods all firing on it (lots of bad rolling this game). No assaults

End of turn 2
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/turn2_zpsf9f49afa.jpg

Turn 3
Necrons: Orikan stays empowered. The barges, the court, and the immortals fire on the assault terminators, only managing to kill one (the end up zealing 4" towards the non-shielded barge). The Warriors try to open the battlefield up a little and fire on the crusader drop pod, but fail to gauss even once despite a ton of hits. The Lychguard continue around the terrain. the bike shoots at the two crusaders, but fails to do anything. Then it tries to assault them, along with the wraith. I overwatch the wrath, and do a wound, but it fails its charge. the blade successfully charges, and kills both of the initiates. 

Templars: My third pod comes in, and i position it inbetween the two pods that are already there. It scatters towards the dread pod, but that's fine. My strategy of creating a sort of barricade with them around the relic so he couldn't really get to it worked, and he was quite frustrated with it. The Squad inside moves to block the warriors path of travel. My vindi and the now cannonless crusaders move across the AD, while the cannoned squad moves into position to take the relic next turn. The assault terminators move up to the barge. One of my speeders moves to the other side, and ends up immobilizing itself.
The speeders fire at the remains of the court squad and destroy it entirely. The shooty terminators fire at the strong barge and manage to wreck it. My pod squad unleashes hell into the warriors, killing 4, and doing two  wounds to Orikan. My vindi also fires on the warrior squad, though orikan soaks up all of it, only losing one more wound (and since he's empowered, no instant death). My two shooty crusaders and the drop pods fire all they've got into the bike and the wraith, killing both of them. 
The Assault Terminators charge the remaining barge, and destroy it utterly. one glance, probably 10 pens. It blew up, but didn't hurt any of my men. 

End of Turn 3:
http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/turn3_zps8fce769c.jpg

Turn 4:
Necrons: Orikan becomes depowered, and with only 2 wounds on that statline, and 3 suffered so far, he dies, granting templars "Slay the Warlord". The Lychguard finish moving around their terrain. The Immortals move backwards, knowing that the assault TDA squad is coming for them, and the warriors move backwards To avoid the crusaders incase the lychguard fail to get into combat with them.
The Immortals fire on the assault terminators, killing two. The warriors fire on the crusader squad, killing 3. The TDA zeals 5" right next to the immortals, and the crusaders zeal 2" towards the warriors, though i should have used my champion's seals to go further.
The lychguard charge my crusader squad, overwatch doing nothing. The EC and the Overlord duke it out. The lychguard kill all my men after they failed to kill any of the lychguard. The EC passes his MSS test, but does nothing to the overlord, who then in turn manages to wound the EC. 

Templars: The cannon squad moves and takes the relic, with no dangerous terrain fails. the Assault TDA squad moves towards the Immortals, and the normal TDA squad moves to get better view of the warriors. They, the two crusader squads, and the vindi fire on the warriors, though only the vindi does much damage, leaving them at only 4 men left. 
The Terminators assault the immortals, who tesla pretty crazily and kill the last two terminators in overwatch, leaving only the chaplain. He kills two of them (one gets back up), and takes no wounds. combat: tie. The EC passes his MSS test again, but again fails to do anything to the overlord. The overlord attacks back, but even with his two rerolls from the support of the lychguard, fails to get past the Armor of Faith's protective shielding. Combat: Tie.

No picture of T4 as the battlefield has so little left if's basically the same as T3.

Turn 5
Necrons: I don't remember what the warriors did, but they didn't get into the close combat with the EC. The Immortals do a wound to my chaplain, and he kills one immortal (who gets back up). Combat: Tie. The EC passes a third MSS test with Crazily Insane Heroism! (triple 1's) He and the Overlord fail to hurt eachother yet again. Combat: Tie

Black Templars: Shooting kills off the rest of the warrior blob, and before we get to do combat, he admits defeat.

Score
Black Templars: Relic (3), Slay the Warlord (1) = 4 total
Necrons: First Blood (1), Slay the Warlord (1) = 2 total

BLACK TEMPLARS VICTORY!

Thoughts: With how the beginning went, this really could have gone either way. I was quite distraught when he killed my Marshal on T2 before I could use his teleport homer or his reserve rerolls. I thought I had most likely lost because of that. Things started to turn my way after my speeders blew up both of his royal courts in consecutive turns, and i was able to whittle down the wrath and blade squads. I was almost hoping he'd just kill my EC so i could vindicator blast those lychguard into oblivion, but alas that didn't happen. 

I knew the instant that we got the relic that i was going to try and use my pods to block it off and carry it back to my deployment and protect it. However, with my first squad killed instantly, and the scattering not exactly going the way i wanted it (though it still wasn't the worst), I had to do some cover up patching. It ended up working in the end. My dread should have killed a lot more of the warriors, but Orikan saving around 6 heavy flamer and 3 assault cannon saves really messed that up. He ended up saving a ton of those warriors throughout the game.

I told him that he needed to be more aggressive with his Immortals and Lychguard, the latter of which did nothing until turn 4. The Immortals should have been a real threat to whatever I was putting to take the relic, and instead they moved around a little dinkily and didn't end up doing much for the game. I was very surprised he didn't try to use his barges to kill my speeders. 

Thanks for the good battle reports, a lot of nice pointers for me as I get back in the game. I have a question about your first army list against the Grey Knights. I saw that your chaplain had a crozius, power fist, and plasma pistol. So the chaplain always has the crozius because that's what his standard load out is and you just add the armoury options on top of that? Additionally, in close combat do you have to choose if you're using the fist or the crozius? And lastly, just for my mental picture, is the powerfist hand holding the pistol or the crozius?

Thanks in advance and keep the batreps coming!

Yes, that is exactly how the chaplain's wargear works. He comes stock with the crozius and we get to add two weapons from the armory on top of that. When in close combat, I would choose to have all of his attacks use either the Crozius's profile or the Power Fist's profile. 

And lastly, just for your mental picture:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/Chaplain_zps3f023da6.jpg

I just say the plasma pistol is in the holster on his leg.

So, to give you guys an idea of what else I'm up to, I've recently acquired a buttload of infantry from some friends. They need to be painted, and some stripped, and then painted (you'll know who they are when you see the pic)

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/infantry_zpscadc026b.jpg

Back left black section is a tactcal squad from Battle for Macragge, in front of them is a tactical squad from Asssault on Black Reach, in front of them are 6 neophytes that will be for helbrecht's command squad (with option for a standard bearer), then, some initiates that are actually almost done that I've had for a while that i acquired from my cousin, then 5 terminators from AoBR and the captain from the same set. to the right of the tactical squads are 24 ultramarines that will soon be shown the true path to hatred and zeal, as well as an old metal terminator chaplain, and a Marneus Calgar in his power armor. I have no idea what I'm going to do with Marneus and the chaplain. I don't have arms for what I want the chaplain to be, and Marneus is...well...Marneus.... There's also an old Devastator squad that I've removed the metal weapons from for the time  being.

But that's not all! I also have this sexy beast to work with:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/stormtalon_zps5d820e0b.jpg

as well as a brand new command squad. I also have my Third landspeeder and a vindicator to work on. so i should be kept busy for quite a while =)

Ok, so my cousin was kind enough to take some pictures for me with his phone that can actually take pictures. Now, you guys will actually get to really see just how bad my painting is!

First, Incursion Fleet Monsoon:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/HRpod_zps72095dff.jpg

Next, TDA Sword Brethren Assault Squad:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/HRTDA_zps33240efe.jpg

Power Armor Assault Squad:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/HRjump_zps6039854e.jpg

My Chaplain:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/HRchap_zps83c71df5.jpg

My Neohphytes:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/HRneos_zpsd39b817c.jpg

And my LRC:

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/HRLRC_zps6bceb800.jpg

He took pictures of my speeders too, but I noticed too much stuff wrong with them that I'll fix them and ask him to take some new ones then. I have a lot of stuff going on on this table. There are currently  more MEq models unpainted on here than I actually have painted atm! When everything is said and done, expect another picture heavy post!

Until then...

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/NeophyteBob_zps6c31b775.jpg

Neophyte Bob is watching...

• 2 weeks later...

le sigh, the current project i'm working on (hinted at in the rumor thread) isn't going as well as i had hoped, but as much is to be expected. I have no clue how old this model is, though i assume it's from 4th edition, and the previous, previous owner did not take very good care of it. I have done what I can, but my less than mediocre skills have not been able to restore the level of detail to the model that i would have liked. However, I shall continue on, as this model needs to be completed for the sake of being completed.

For all of you who are sick and tired of all the rumors saying we are going to be rolled into Codex: Space Marines, I have this for you.

Introducing: Marshal Carneus Malgar, former Marshal of the Tempestas Crusade (fluffwise)

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/031_zps92d2e595.jpg

Marshal Carneus Malgar is the third of four Marshals to lead the Tempestas Meta-Crusade. Appointed into duty by High Marshal Kordhel to lead the meta-crusade after the death of Marshal Armstrong, Carneus Traveled to Segmentum Tempestus to continue the many crusades against the xenos raiders that frequent the segmentum. For 150 years he lead the Templars from system to system, killing all sorts of foul creatures, both familiar to the Imperium, and not. He was quickly getting stories spread about him throughout the system that wherever he leads the crusade, death follows.

In more recent years, he had lead the crusade into the north eastern part of Segmentum Tempestus, and found something he never expected. Xenos using Tau weaponry. Regardless, he destroyed the foul abominations none-the-less, keeping in the back of his mind what he had seen.

And it wasn't for naught. Within a few more short battles, He met the Tau Expeditionary force that had somehow managed to find its way into Segmentum Tempestus, and on the planet of Valistar IV, they fought. It was a grueling battle, as the Tau had quickly built fortifications mighty enough to withstand the preliminary Templar strike force. After losing many Land Raider Crusaders trying to break the keep, Malgar figured enough was enough, and got his personal command squad, got in a drop pod, and blasted his way directly into the Tau lines.

They exited the pod and immediately their power armor was protecting them from the plasma of the Tau weaponry. Bravely, they fought for hours, knowing that as long as they kept fighting the hooved monsters in close combat that they would be assured victory. However, slowly but surely, the members of his command squad were dieing. Soon, only he was left, but as he looked around, he could see no more of the wretched creatures. Then, there was a shadow.

Malgar Turned around to see a giant robot with guns bigger than he was standing in front of him. He knew he had to close the distance to this vile piece of heresy as quicly as possibly. He took many hits from the Riptide, and his Iron Halo could only protect him from so much of it. By the time he got to the feet of the monster, he was near the end of his strength. All he could think was that to admit defeat is to blaspheme against The Emperor. Summoning holy strength, he grabbed the monster by its foot, picked it up, swung it in circles and threw it into the nearby mountainside. Seeing the explosion, he said, "The Emperor protects." and expired.

And another Tidbit for you, the Company Champion from his Command Squad.

http://i1271.photobucket.com/albums/jj635/Urkhster/032_zpsda873efe.jpg

Since I'm probably never going to run a company champion in any of my lists, I'm going to be running him as my Emperor's Champion instead, retiring the actual sculpt of him, who's sword has broken by now, and isn't painted nearly as well as this guy.

As for Carneus Malgar (yes, I switched the first letters of the names on purpose), It's the Marneus Calgar model painted as a Black Templar for anyone who doesn't know. I thought it would be funny if I turned the chapter master of the Ultramarines into a Black Templar because of all of the rumors of us being rolled into them, and then gave him some ridiculous fluff of him killing something much bigger and stronger than he is. I'm sorry for a lot of the sloppiness, my detail brush is at the end of it's life, and I will clean up all the mistakes once i get a brush that I feel actually can do it. The model is also quite old (has had at least two previous owners), and I had to strip 3 layers of paint off him, so I wasn't able to save all the detail in the model =(. Ok, well that's all for now, hope you enjoyed!

Edit: He also came with a jump pack for some reason, so i decided to leave it on him.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, had a chance to play a game against my cousin's grey knights again. I personally don't think this was my best game, tactically speaking, and a lot of blood was shed on both sides of the battlefield. Anyways, to the army lists!

Black Templars

HQ - 310

Emperor's Champion: Suffer Not  - 135 points

Master of Sanctity: Terminator Armor, Power Sword, Power Fist - 175 points

Elites - 465

Terminators: x5 Terminators, x2 w/ CML, tank huners - 265

Assault Terminators: x5 Terminators w/ TH/SS - 200 

Troops - 440

Crusader Squad: x5 Initiates, 4 with bolter, one with plasma cannon -100

Crusader Squad: x5 Initiates, 4 with bolter, one with plasma cannon -100

Crusader Squad: x10 Initiates, x8 with CCW/BP, x1 with power axe, x1 with meltagun, x6 neophytes with CCW/BP -245 (EC here)

Fast Attack - 350

Land Speeder Squadon: x3 Land Speeder Typhoons with TML and HB -210

Stormtalon Gunship: Twin Linked Lascannon, Twin Linked Assault cannon -140

Heavy Support:

Vindicator: Searchlight -126

Land Raider Crusader: Smoke Launchers, Searchlight: 269 (chaplain and assault terminators in here)

Fortification: 50

ADL: 50

Total: 2000

Grey Knights (with new Tau allies)

HQ

Librarian - Terminator Armor

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor - Terminator Armor

(Tau) Fireblade

Elites

Purifier Squad: x10 Purifiers, 4 with Psycannons, rest with halberds, psybolt ammo

Inquisitorial Henchemen: x3  psykers

Troops

Grey Knights Strike Squad: x10 Grey Knights, x2 incinerator, halberds, psybolt ammo

Grey Knights Terminator Squad: x10 Terminators, x2 psycannon, halberds, psybolt ammo (libby here)

(Tau) Fire Warrior Squad: x11 fire warriors

(Tau) Kroot: x10 Kroot Carnivores

Dedicated transports: 

rhino (purifiers)

Iquisitorial Chimera: (Psykers)

Heavy Support

Dreadnought: Plasma Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Psyflame ammo

Dreadnought: Plasma Cannon, Heavy Flamer, Psyflame ammo

Fortification

ADL w/ Icarus Lascannon

Total: (i don't know exactly, but i trust him that it wasn't over 2k)

Things I wasn't expecting from his list: The tau. He doesn't actually have a tau HQ yet, and was using a differently painted firewarrior as the cadre fireblade. I also wasn't expecting the plasma cannons on the dreadnoughts. It also surprised me that he brought the icarus instead of a quad gun. probably because of points. 

So I'm doing a thing where I'm giving a go with a units that I have that i haven't used yet. Today was my stormtalon's turn. I would have run my drop pods, but i wanted to test it out, and just didn't have room with all the other stuff that was in there. Next time though, I'm definitely bringing drop pods.

The game. We rolled the mission as purge the alien, and our deployment was dawn of war. The RoB board had the hills all in the corners, so it didn't matter which side we picked, they were all the same. Assuming that his edge is north and mine is south, we both placed our ADL's along the west side of our deployment zones. I was planning on having a cover save war, though as you'll see later, that didn't really work out. The Icarus was to the far west of his ADL. I had nothing on my ADL. There was a large crater between our two defense lines, with a house to the NE of it, and a ruin to the SE of that. A burned forest with what looked like a wrecked rhino stood firmly by the center of the board, though closer to my deployment than his. Another crater and ruin take up the eastmost side of the battlefield.

He deployed his inquisitor in base contact with the Icarus. The dreadnought was just to the east of that, with the fire warriors and fireblade east of them. then it was the other dreadnought, the strike squad and the chimera in the middle of his deployment zone (in order from west-east), with the rhino to the far east. The Terminators stayed in reserve, and the kroot were infiltrating

I deployed my shooty terminators and one of my plas squads behind the ADL. The Vindicator was just east of them, with the land speeders next to it, and the LRC just behind the burned forest. The large crusader squad stood behind the LRC, though they popped out a little on each side, which wasn't very good for them. Another plas squad took up the SE hill from the board. 

The kroot infiltrate to the SE of the strike squad in the middle of the board.

No night fighting.

Because this happened two days ago, and I've been very busy and not had a chance to do a proper writeup after the game, I'm sorry, but I'm only going to be able to give you a short summary of what happened.

On the western part of the board, My terminators failed pretty heavily, not able to do any damage to a dreadnought, even with their tank hunters, over two shooting phases. All they managed to do was kill an Icarus lascannon before lost a guy which made them fail an LD test on 11, and then fall back 12'' off the board edge. The plasma squad spent the first two turns falling back from casualties from the firewarriors, and went off the board T2. 

On the middle of the board, the LRC went off to challenge the purifier rhino party. The vindi popped shells off on the strike squad, killing most of the squad in one go, but also manages to kill one of my own crusaders while it's at it. His terminators deepstrike mishapped back into reserves, but when they did come down, they wrecked the vindicator handily. The speeders also didn't perform very well. They did a hull point of damage  to the mid dread and thechimera, and killed a ton of fire warriors after they had to move out of the defense line to get in range of my terminators. They also fell to the Terminators after the vindicator did. He killed them exactly on hull points with no explosions. My crusader squad  lost a lot of men in the beginning of the game from the psykers and plasma cannon fire, but managed to still finish off what was left of the strike squad, then chopped down some kroot while the EC was slain by a dreadnought in CC. When the Storm Talon did come in, it wrecked the chimera, forcing the psykers to come out, then veered off and splatted the inquisitor who no longer had to man his quad gun.

On the western board. My LRC wrecked the rhino very early, and then the purifiers made my plasma squad over there fall back off the board. (note: I didn't place anyone close to the board edge. I rolled a lot of 12'' fallbacks this game, and failed almost every single RZ test). The terminators avenged the crusaders and killed all the purifiers. They then got back into the LRC and next turn got out and laid waste to the dreadnought who had just killed the emperor's champion, and freed my squad from close combat. They ended up getting shot to death by the enemy terminators, although the chaplain survived with full wounds. He, along with the remaining crusaders, killed the last of the kroot, and the LRC finished off the psykers.

By the end of turn 6, all that was left on the board was my storm talon, three crusaders, a chaplain, an LRC, a GK dreadnought, A GK librarian, and 8 of the terminators. Luckily, I had first  blood from the rhino, and we both had line breaker. So let's tally up some points

GK: Linebreaker, EC, crusader, crusader, land speeder squadron, vindicator, assault terminators, shooty terminators: Total 8
BT: Linebreaker, First Blood, Rhino, Purifiers, Chimera, Psykers, Strike, kroot, dread: Total 9

BLACK TEMPLARS WIN NARROWLY!

I had just narrowly not killed off one fire warrior and the fireblade, or I would have had more of a lead. If the game had gone on forever, My LRC would have been able to whittle down his entire army, as he had nothing that could actually hurt it left on the board. Overall though, my men were extreme cowards this game. I failed almost every RZ test, and I only rolled 12's for fallback. I even failed like 6 look out sir rolls on my emperor's champion in a row. Then, the neophyte dies from the first one he actually takes for the EC. My armor pen rolls were subpar, and when i did manage to pen, i only ever shook the enemy. I have no idea how I actually managed to win that game. By all means it should have gone to him. 

Next time I'm bringing a Dread with a heavy flamer and assault cannon in a drop pod and I'm taking down all those freaking fire warriors/kroot. Some crusader squads in drop pods should do well also. I'll bring flamers on them, as I know they'll be able to do something. 

TY justicar =). And don't worry, I thought i had lost that game around t3 when all my men were falling back off the board. He had a huge lead at that point, and the only thing that brought me back was killing a lot of small units in the end. The Tau allies  he brought really threw me for a loop. With the people I play against, I don't actually deal with a lot of shooting that goes over 24'', so the 30'' guns on the fire warriors, along with the fireblade doubling their shooting was and is something I'm going to have to get used to dealing with. It was a really good, and really close game.

I do hope to bring you guys more batreps against my brothers nidz/CSM, my friend's necrons, and my other friends space wolves. It's just getting together to actually be able to play games with these people is a lot harder now that we're all employed and working 30+ hours a week.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok guys, it's been almost a year and a half since I painted my first models. So, what I'm going to do is give you guys two pictures. The first one will be my first AoBR marshal that I painted a year and a half ago, which is also viewable in the "first time painting" thread that has a link in my sig. The second pic will be a second AoBR marshal, which I vowed for the ETL. You can view them and see the progress I've made as a painter over the last year and a half. I'm chosing to use two of the same model as I believe it's the most accurate way to judge my progress through the years.

So, without further ado, here's the first marshal.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/AOBRM1.jpg

Here, you can see the splotchiness in my painting, especially on the skulls. There's lots of color run-off onto other parts of the model where they shouldn't be, and large blocks of the same color where I obviously should have done other things to make the detail stand out more.

Now for the new Marshal.

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/AOBRM2.jpg

Here, we not only have crisp clean detail on the model (at least in my opinion), but many colors layering on top of each other to give depth effects. Highlighting is also much better than in the previous version (now i do a thicker highlight of eshin grey, a fine highlight of dawnstone, and then final highlight sharp corners with fortress grey).

Go ahead and critique me on both of the paint jobs for the models. Remember that they ARE actually two different models. When I post my before pic in the ETL thread, you'll see the second marshal with only his bascoat. So yah, just tell me what you think!

• 2 months later...

BUMP!

no... seriously...

Slightly better pictures of my terminator chaplain for the ETL

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/betterchappy.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/betterchappy2.jpg

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/betterchappy3.jpg

Just editing because I'm the only one posting in this thread:

My marshal in TDA with PoLC

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/LCTDAmarshal.jpg

You really have something going for you. The red counter points to your black/white scheme is extremely effective.

Well done Brother.

ty for the kind words brother honda. My cousin basically has the same sentiments as you. he said something along the lines of "your army went from looking good to looking amazing the instant you started putting red into your pallet.&quot

Because of this, I'm experimenting with using more colors, and as such, have starting using blue for power weapons.

also, an update for the sake of an update for the ETL

10 ARMS!!!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/arms.jpg

Edit: And now bodies to go with them!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/bodies.jpg

well guys, the last time I gave you one of these was the very first time I posted on the B&C. It seems only fitting that with our codex's (not our army's!) end on the horizon, that I give you another. This IS the Tempestas Crusade!:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20130819_003.jpg

You have HQ's in the front (lead by Helbrecht and the Emperor's Champion), followed by neophytes protecting the melee crusaders who are in front of the LRC. Flanking the LRC are all my shooting crusaders, and behind them shooty terminators. to the far left back you have a vindicator with assault marines and assault chaplain with them, and the far right back my land speeder squadron with what would have been a TDA command squad behind a 5 man TH/SS terminator squad.

This goes to show just how must the crusade has grown in the past two years. It will be sad painting models for a different, non: black tempar dedicated codex. My colors will, however, always be black and white!

Note: I have more men that are not painted, including a stormtalon!

Edit: almost forgot these three bad boys!

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20130819_004.jpg

Archived