The Tempestas Crusade [ETL IV: VINDICATOR! VOW COMPLETE!]

Urkh

OMG... I am actually going to be playing a game of 40k today! My brother and I are going to GWS and he's going to buy the 7th ed rulebook and we're going to have a 1k game there to learn the rules. Black Templars VS Tyranids.

My list:

HQ

Chaplain w/ melta bombs (idk if these still work against MC's, so I'm blowing 5 points)

Troops

Crusader Squad: x3 bolter, x1 flamer, x1 plasma cannon

Crusader Squad: x3 bolter, x1 flamer, x1 plasma cannon

Crusader Squad: x7 ccw/bp, x1 power maul, x1 flamer, x1 Sword Brother w/ power maul and melta bombs, x9 neophytes w/ ccw bp

Elites

Ironclad Dreadnought w/ DCCW/Heavy flamer, Seismic Hammer/Heavy flamer, Drop pod w/ deathwind missiles

Fast attack

Storm Talon gunship w/ skyhammer missiles

Heavy Support

Vindicator w/ Seige Shield.

Will post results after the game!

Disclaimer about this game: My brother's heresy shall not go unpunished, for he is a foul heretic indeed. Before writing the lists, he convinced me that bringing my Storm Raven would have been cheesy as he wouldn't be able to bring anything that could kill it. He then proceeded to bring three monstrous creatures with AOE AP2 attacks. The GWS was closed, so he had to get the 7th ed rulebook from another store, and we had to play on my table, which is still VERY lacking in terrain (as you'll see), and cover saves were not great at all.

He brought:

HQ

Flyrant w/ x2 Twin-linked devourer w/ brainleach worms and electroshock grubs

Troops

30 termagaunts with fleshborers

24 Hormagants

Elites

3 hive guard w/ shock cannons

Venomthrope 

Heavy Support

Mawlock

Exocrine w/ basic weapons. (lots of AP2 shots)

So, we had a 6x4 set up, but we only used 4x4 due to lack of terrain. Mission was Emperor's will, as we don't have the maelstrom of war cards and didn't want to bother with rolling on a table a billion times in our first 7th ed game. After deployment, table looked like this:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_009.jpg

He also had his hive tyrant to the left of the hive guard, which are unpainted and to the left of the blue squad (termagaunts). Templars won deployment and the tyranids failed to seize the initiative. My warlord trait was that the first turn was night fighting and all my guys had night vision, and his was an extra victory point for every character his warlord kills in a challenge. His psychic power was paroxysm. 

Templar Turn 1:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_010.jpg

The drop pod lands and scatters 9" towards my deployment zone. Dread heads towards the termagaunts. Large crusader squad moves forward 6", making sure to stay spread out due to ap2 blast templates. Vindi moves up to the hill. 

Morkdred kills 8 termagaunts, and the deathwind missile launcher scatters into nothing. One plasma cannon gets hot, and the other kills one of each type of gaunt. Vindi and crusaders flat out/ run.

Tyranid turn 1:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_011.jpg

All Gaunts and thrope move up and the tyrant flies to the side of the dread. He hits the pod with paroxysm, reducing it to BS 1.  Exocrine shoots at the large crusader squad and kills 1 marine. Gaunts and thrope run. Hive Guard shoots at the dread, getting 2 hits on him, and one scatter onto his own termagaunts, killing two of his own men and the two haywire shots only result in 1 glance. The tyrant shoots his electroshock grubs and one devourer into the side of Morkdread, dealing another hull point of damage, and the haywire template also manages to get one hull point off the pod. He hits the pod with paroxysm, reducing it to BS 1. 

Templar Turn 2: 

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_012.jpg

Talon doesn't come in. Morkdred moves forward and roasts 8 gaunts. Vindi moves on top of the hill and kills two hormagants after scattering a large distance. The large crusader squad moves forward and shoots at the hormagants, but none die as the cover saves from the venomthrope prove to be a pain in the rear. The dread charges the termagaunts (so he can't be shot at with haywire), and kills one of them, but they are fearless and cannot leave the combat.

Tyranid turn 2:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_015.jpg

Marlock fails to come in. All instictive behavior rolls are passed except the exocrine, who gets the "go to ground result" which does nothing because monstrous creatures cannot go to ground. Horms move through cover 3" and just rearrange themselves in the crater. Exocrine moves around the hill. Venomthrope moves to give cover to horms and guards. Tyrant makes the vindi BS, then shoots at it and blows it up. The Exocrine kills  marines in the big blob. Morkdred kills a few more termagaunts, but they are still fearless due to synapse.

Templar Turn 3:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_016.jpg

Storm Talon comes in, and the large crusader squad moves towards the tyrant. I want to try and ground it, I put all the shooting I can into it, and get absolutely nothing accomplished. Turn is very uneventful.

Tyranid turn 3:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_017.jpg

The mawlock comes in but scatters off the large crusader squad toward my brother's table edge. The guard fails its IB test and goes to ground. Horms and exocrine move forward. Tyrant flys into the corner and makes my talon BS3. Exocrine fails to wound my chaplain past his rosarius. Horms and venom run 5". Tyrant fires 12 shots at the talon and blows it up. Crash and burn hits a neophyte, but he was miraculously saved. The Dread kills a gaunt, and since they are no longer fearless, they fail their morale check. Morkdred fails to sweep, but they all run off the board anyways. 

Templar Turn 4: 

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_018.jpg

Morkdred goes for the hiveguard, and the crusader squad makes for the other side of the hill to try and secure the tyranid objective. Morkdread throws fire at the hiveguard, completely roasting one and leaving another medium. The crusaders book it for the objective, and Morkdread charges the hive guard, smashes the one that was medium, and breaks the bones of the last remaining one. 

Tyranid Turn 4:

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140708_019.jpg

Gaunts fail their IB test and 9 of them die. Exocrine tries to shoot the crusaders but fails. The mawlock went back to underground. Tyrant flew off the board. Morkdred fails to kill the last guard as the crusaders move in for the tyranid objective.

Templar and Tyranid turn 5+6: Morkdread kills the last guard, and the mawlock comes up right on top of my crusader squad (I didn't know he could burrow again and come back up... and wasn't paying attention to the fact that he had, was far too hot yesterday). He ate 7 crusaders. The tyrant and the exocrine combined firepower to kill morkdred and the three neophytes on the tyranid objective. At this point, I concede as he has 4 VP (first blood and an objective) to my 3, (objective)

Still very mad that he took 3 monstrous creatures after telling me to not bring my Raven because it would be "cheesy". Next time we fight, he will be going against the full force of my Astartes Stormwing! I am also never EVER again not talking my Landspeeder squadron. They probably would have single handedly made the game a win for me. I figured I would do one game without them, because I always bring them. Never again. They are my crutch, and I love them.

Also of note: I DO have a lot of terrain in the process of being built/ painted. There are two Citadel Woods, an Imperial Sector, another Basillica Administratum (to go with the one in the imperial sector), a Crashed Aquilla Lander, Battlefield accessories, and a barricades and walls set. All of this terrain is at my cousin's house, however, as he is the one who is *supposed* to be painting them for me. As soon as they are all done, we should have a very  nice board to play on.

So, the rematch between my brother's Tyranids and my Black Templars happened on Friday. We actually played on a GWS table, since they actually have terrain, and we played 3,000 points. As I said, his heresy from our last game did not go unpunished. I brought my finest legions and gave them all the best toys. The mission was The Relic (still didn't want to be doing Maelstrom of War missions yet), and deployment was Hammer and anvil, with him having a little more terrain on his half than mine due to us using a D3 to determine how many terrain pieces go in each square. 

Due to the time constraints of the store, I didn't put any effort into making a battle report during the game. Let's just say that I didn't kill a single monstrous creature, but that didn't matter, for this is what the battlefield looked like at the end of turn 3 (he went first)

http://i188.photobucket.com/albums/z41/urkh/WP_20140711_003.jpg

VENGEANCE IS MINE!!!

The foul heresy that he wrought in the last game was met with unyielding zeal and hatred. All he had left at the end of the game (he conceded just before this picture was taken) were two flyrants, a harpy, a lone termagaunt, and three biovores who were hiding in the ruins by where the rightmost storm talon is. It was complete domination. Never again will my Templars be bested by bugs. Inferior insects infuriate me. I claim this victory in the name of the Emperor, for his will is divine!

As Ansel  Adams  understood, the greatest pictures are those in black and white. Congrats on the victory and suffer not the bugs to live! :)

That mace looks familiar! biggrin.png (I made a similar one, without the pointy endings though, this isn't chaos we're playing!) Looks cool though! thumbsup.gif

Also, Mmmmmm.....Heavy Bolter....drool.gif

Ty. My cousin has deemed that model "Sword Brother Sauron".

Also, make sure you never say, "No man can kill me" when fighting Sisters. It won't turn out well.

The mace is "ace". :)

Love the squad, though it looks like the HB initiate needs just a touch of clean up on the white part of his helmet.

Two thumbs up.

Ty. My cousin has deemed that model "Sword Brother Sauron".

Also, make sure you never say, "No man can kill me" when fighting Sisters. It won't turn out well.

The mace is "ace". smile.png

Love the squad, though it looks like the HB initiate needs just a touch of clean up on the white part of his helmet.

Two thumbs up.

That was the Witch King of Agmar, not Sauron. And his wasn't a mace. It was on a chain that he swung around. Sauron's was a legitimate stick with a giant ass pounding apparatus with blades.

(not entirely sure on all the intricate differences between maces, ball 'n chains, flails, and morningstars)

Maces and Mauls have the smash bit attached to the handle, Flails and Morningstars have a chain between the smashy bit and the handle.

(Note that the chain should be short enough to NOT hit the wielder's own hand when he swings. They're designed to swing over the top of a shield, not mow dow a dozen people at once.)

Let's try a new (and true!) joke then: Make sure he doesn't get his finger cut off. He might explode. 

Archived