lions roar... thoughts...

tomsev

im ttrying to do one for a tda model so i dont mind if mine is big, so im using half a pintle storm bolter and a plasma gun then mounting that on to a powerfist... and a hand wielded one. but because its a blast weapon i thought it would be more realistic on a powerfist, as it would support the recoil, and better accuracy, than just hand wielding a hand cannon...

Oo. That sounds awesome.

thanks actually the fist has come out rather nicely... i like, il try and get some pics up ASAP

Mine is a Bolter from the DA upgrade sprue that has been shaved down and added to the underside of a Forge world Plasma Blaster (the double barreled one) I will take pictures when I get home, it isn't attached to a model yet, but it will sit opposite my take on the MoR on a Chaplain in TDA.

So far it has served me well as a proxy item.

Paul

Only someone pretending to be dumb in the hopes of getting away with cheating....

This is the kind of bull:cuss that drives me crazy. Who do you think you are? The final arbiter of sense and logic? That anyone coming at an issue with a different interpretation is not only wrong, but disingenuous and a cheater? Get off your high horse, open your eyes, and realize that intelligent people can and do disagree with each other, genuinely, without sly goals and deception on either's part.

OK. If you replace one weapon with one relic and then you replace another weapon with another relic, how many weapons have you replaced with how many relics? Is it "one" or is it "more than one"? If it's "one", then you have complied with the Codex option; if it is "more than one", then you have exceeded the Codex option (as well as defying the accepted rules of mathematics).

If the intent had been to allow more than one relic per character, the option would presumably have been "may replace any" weapon - which I believe appears elsewhere in the army list section - rather than "may replace one" weapon.

following what you claim, you cant have a pair of lightning claws, powerfist and claw or any double melee weapon loadout... as its written the same way for melee weapons... 

The point is; GW DON'T write in legalese nor do they write in standard English, they write in a form of conversational English with a few of their own conventions thrown in.

My personal take on the rule is also irrelevant, the wording CAN be taken either way based on the above examples. Unless of course there is a presedent set or a statement ruling elsewhere that we are missing ;)

OT: I haven't used the LR yet, I was hoping there would be one in one of the new box sets, some of the converting ideas above sound juicy :D

As for uses, either on a DS termie character to alpha strike or held as a counter to the enemies DS squads.

Tuppence

S

Can we talk about it's uses? if you guys want a Rules as written Cage match, make a new thread?

haha haha  haha  well done, 

well for the few times ive used it it has been great for me, i usually point it in the same direction as the plasma cannon in the squad with him and just watch whatever i aim at die... its an assault weapon too so you can move, shoot, assault(supposing theres something left to charge... the 2 together have already killed me a 5 man termie squad freshly in the open after there lrc exploded... lucky i know but very fun... 

Can we talk about it's uses? if you guys want a Rules as written Cage match, make a new thread?

Nothing wrong with a bit of hard fought rules discussion here – providing it's relevant to the topic.

My current plan is to give the Lion's Roar to a librarian attached to a PA command squad accompanying Azrael. Sometimes they'll ride to the front in a Land Raider, in which case the roar can be part of an initial volley before the charge, due to its assault-weapon-goodness. Alternatively, the whole crew might come in by drop pod, in which case the roar is a great addition to that first round of stand-and-deliver shooting upon exiting the drop pod.

im ttrying to do one for a tda model so i dont mind if mine is big, so im using half a pintle storm bolter and a plasma gun then mounting that on to a powerfist... and a hand wielded one. but because its a blast weapon i thought it would be more realistic on a powerfist, as it would support the recoil, and better accuracy, than just hand wielding a hand cannon...

Oo. That sounds awesome.

When I was into the hobby 'last time' (in the good old days when you could order bits from GW directly...) I made a Captain using the rogue trader termie captain body, Calgar's arm and Azrael's combi.  It was a nightmare to model but looked ok to my inexperienced eyes at the time

im still not convinced on the one relic per figurine... anyhow so there is no way to get him another weapon if in tda?

If your group is fine with it, I recommend the Mace of Redemption as his second relic. Though usually I try not to make my HQs that point-sunk.

well in my group unless it says you cant, then, well you can... so my build for my tda interrogator chaplain is: tda, MoR, lions roar and auspex... hes really really good... 5pts more than belial but damn can he dish out some serious pain!

Oo. That sounds awesome.

When I was into the hobby 'last time' (in the good old days when you could order bits from GW directly...) I made a Captain using the rogue trader termie captain body, Calgar's arm and Azrael's combi.  It was a nightmare to model but looked ok to my inexperienced eyes at the time

ohhh sounds cool... any chance you have a pic?

What makes you assume I disagreed with him? I said absolutely nothing about how I interpret this rule. I have a problem with how he was arguing.

Oh. Sorry. My bad. I obviously misinterpreted your post. Apologies.

@Big gumbo : that could also mean : "replace one weapon by..."  by opposition of "replace all your weapons by..."

I could also argue that the wording could be "any character may replace only one of his weapon by"

That would certainly have been clearer but I'm not sure that it changes the meaning substantively.

following what you claim, you cant have a pair of lightning claws, powerfist and claw or any double melee weapon loadout... as its written the same way for melee weapons... 

Yes, that's how I read it. The command squad guys can take a pair of LCs, as their wargear options are the "and/or" that caused such a problem on another thread; the company vets also can, as the pair of LCs is a separate option from an individual LC; but picking from the Melee section of the wargear list would only allow one LC. To me, the fact that the wording is different from the unit options I've just referred to is all the more reason to suggest that the Melee/Relic/whatever else section of the wargear list is intended to be more limited - i.e. only one standard weapon swapped for one non-standard weapon from that section of the list.

i understand exactly where your coming from... oh well, until it gets sorted out, il just use the lions roar as a combi plasma, until faq clears it up... 

however i dont really like it, as this is a duelling edition, i thought melee would be good...

March old chap: it is vague, just like and/or is vague msn-wink.gif . GWs permissive rule set is often ambiguous, depending on the readers pov.

Again I agree with your literal reading of the text, it's just that because I can swap 'one' doesn't necessarily preclude me swapping another 'one' in GeeDub English.

s

Yes. It means one, as opposed to two. Or three. or "any," or "all." Only someone pretending to be dumb in the hopes of getting away with cheating would pretend to think that they said "one" to indicate that you're precluded from dropping as many weapons as you like when you take the relic.

And if you follow the general principle that what's written is only loosely related to what the author meant, you can change any rule you like to be whatever you want it to be (which you can anyway. It's called a house rule!)

This is in no way analogous to and/or! One means...one.

You replace one weapon with relic and then you replace one weapon with relic. This way you have two relics EASY

Archived