lions roar... thoughts...

tomsev

why not! let's just throw some steel chairs in that Cage! I wanna see who wins. My Money on the Rules as Intended fighters!

Ahem, sorry, I'm just pushing that joke now. On topic! 

The only problem with the Lion's roar is that it can get hot... I rather not waste 20pts only to have it blow up in my Libby's face and waste a shot.

My take on modeling said weapon:

http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss129/pbenner2250/photobucket-47082-1364268336557_zpsfc3ebaa0.jpg

I cannot take credit on the idea of using that specific Forgeworld bit, someone linked it on here and it is really perfect for the setup.  The Boltgun has been cut down, so has the Plasma Blaster.  Very large weapon to scale.  I presently lack a torso and legs to put it together.  When I grab another DW Command Squad box to build alternate models for my command squad one of those bodies will go to make an Interrogator Chaplain.

Best,

Paul

I used it once it rocked although I used it with an auspex when I shouldnt have so theres that heh. Problem for me is I use the auspex and I run bikes so I have plenty of plas available and the 20" range matters plus it can conflict with the auspex.

Now on a terminator IC deep striking lions roar is optimal since range is no longer an issue, overheat a non issue and maximum damage on arrival is your primary goal to cripple retaliation. As for price, when you consider GWs latest trend of 10 pt combi weapons a 20 pt master crafted plasma blast combi with blind is a steal.

I used it in conjunction with the mace btw... My group is for multiple relics but either way your groups consensus is what matters.

I'd probably take the top half of the bolter off and just have the lower receiver and the grip - the bolter looks too tall IMO. I think slimming it more (like how GW does the better combi guns) would help a lot.

I'd probably take the top half of the bolter off and just have the lower receiver and the grip - the bolter looks too tall IMO. I think slimming it more (like how GW does the better combi guns) would help a lot.

what he said, if not looking good...

Some time ago I've converted a special bolter plasma for my Company Master... Didn't even imagine I would use it as a relic laugh.png

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y50/Masteravoghai/Dark%20angels/IMGP2974.jpg

looking good... i like how youve used ba bits on him...

The point is; GW DON'T write in legalese nor do they write in standard English, they write in a form of conversational English with a few of their own conventions thrown in.

My personal take on the rule is also irrelevant, the wording CAN be taken either way based on the above examples. Unless of course there is a presedent set or a statement ruling elsewhere that we are missing msn-wink.gif

OT: I haven't used the LR yet, I was hoping there would be one in one of the new box sets, some of the converting ideas above sound juicy biggrin.png

As for uses, either on a DS termie character to alpha strike or held as a counter to the enemies DS squads.

Tuppence

S

They put land raiders in the new boxes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (Feverish epic fail joke targeting the redicule of rules interpretations)

why not! let's just throw some steel chairs in that Cage! I wanna see who wins. My Money on the Rules as Intended fighters!

The only problem with the Lion's roar is that it can get hot... I rather not waste 20pts only to have it blow up in my Libby's face and waste a shot.

Even if it blows you resolve the attack normally. At least thats how plasma works.

well in my group unless it says you cant, then, well you can... so my build for my tda interrogator chaplain is: tda, MoR, lions roar and auspex... hes really really good... 5pts more than belial but damn can he dish out some serious pain!

im ttrying to do one for a tda model so i dont mind if mine is big, so im using half a pintle storm bolter and a plasma gun then mounting that on to a powerfist... and a hand wielded one. but because its a blast weapon i thought it would be more realistic on a powerfist, as it would support the recoil, and better accuracy, than just hand wielding a hand cannon...

Oo. That sounds awesome.

When I was into the hobby 'last time' (in the good old days when you could order bits from GW directly...) I made a Captain using the rogue trader termie captain body, Calgar's arm and Azrael's combi.  It was a nightmare to model but looked ok to my inexperienced eyes at the time

ohhh sounds cool... any chance you have a pic?

I'm afraid not...this was in the days before digital cameras...in fact, it was probably at the time of (for UK people) those free cameras from SupaSnaps....

well in my group unless it says you cant, then, well you can... so my build for my tda interrogator chaplain is: tda, MoR, lions roar and auspex... hes really really good... 5pts more than belial but damn can he dish out some serious pain!

im ttrying to do one for a tda model so i dont mind if mine is big, so im using half a pintle storm bolter and a plasma gun then mounting that on to a powerfist... and a hand wielded one. but because its a blast weapon i thought it would be more realistic on a powerfist, as it would support the recoil, and better accuracy, than just hand wielding a hand cannon...

Oo. That sounds awesome.

When I was into the hobby 'last time' (in the good old days when you could order bits from GW directly...) I made a Captain using the rogue trader termie captain body, Calgar's arm and Azrael's combi.  It was a nightmare to model but looked ok to my inexperienced eyes at the time

ohhh sounds cool... any chance you have a pic?

I'm afraid not...this was in the days before digital cameras...in fact, it was probably at the time of (for UK people) those free cameras from SupaSnaps....

ah ha ok fair enough... what a pity though...

Isn't Lion's Roar Master Crafted, allowing you to re-roll the gets hot die?

Anyhow, I was thinking of putting a Company Master with Lion's Roar and Power Field Generator with a Devastator Squad armed with 4 Plasma Cannons and a Combi-Plas.  That's 5 PC blasts and a plasma gun which re-roll To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 against Chaos Space Marines (my most common opponents)

The point is; GW DON'T write in legalese nor do they write in standard English, they write in a form of conversational English with a few of their own conventions thrown in.

My personal take on the rule is also irrelevant, the wording CAN be taken either way based on the above examples. Unless of course there is a presedent set or a statement ruling elsewhere that we are missing msn-wink.gif

OT: I haven't used the LR yet, I was hoping there would be one in one of the new box sets, some of the converting ideas above sound juicy biggrin.png

As for uses, either on a DS termie character to alpha strike or held as a counter to the enemies DS squads.

Tuppence

S

They put land raiders in the new boxes?!?!?!?!?!?!?!? (Feverish epic fail joke targeting the redicule of rules interpretations)

>why not! let's just throw some steel chairs in that Cage! I wanna see who wins. My Money on the Rules as Intended fighters!

Even if it blows you resolve the attack normally. At least thats how plasma works.

I'm pretty sure you lose the shot if your plasma weapon gets hot, although only the shot with the gets hot roll (so rapid-firing plasma guns wouldn't lost both shots to a single roll of 1). As has been suggested, the master-craftedness of the Roar minimises the gets hot risk via re-roll...

Anyhow, I was thinking of putting a Company Master with Lion's Roar and Power Field Generator with a Devastator Squad armed with 4 Plasma Cannons and a Combi-Plas. That's 5 PC blasts and a plasma gun which re-roll To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 against Chaos Space Marines (my most common opponents)

Why not a Libby?

Cheaper and you can re-roll to hit...

Tuppence

S

>>>>why not! let's just throw some steel chairs in that Cage! I wanna see who wins. My Money on the Rules as Intended fighters!

The only problem with the Lion's roar is that it can get hot... I rather not waste 20pts only to have it blow up in my Libby's face and waste a

shot.lockquote>

Even if it blows you resolve the attack normally. At least thats how plasma

works.lockquote>

I'm pretty sure you lose the shot if your plasma weapon gets hot, although only the shot with the gets hot roll (so rapid-firing plasma guns wouldn't lost both shots to a single roll of 1). As has been suggested, the master-craftedness of the Roar minimises the gets hot risk via re-roll...

lockquote>

Pg 37 under gets hot and weapons that dont roll to hit smile.png. In my statement above I should have clarified plasma cannons...Fever brothers....

Tuppence

S

>>>>>why not! let's just throw some steel chairs in that Cage! I wanna see who wins. My Money on the Rules as Intended fighters!

The only problem with the Lion's roar is that it can get hot... I rather not waste 20pts only to have it blow up in my Libby's face and waste a

shot.lockquote>

Even if it blows you resolve the attack normally. At least thats how plasma

works.lockquote>

lockquote>lockquote>

Pg 37 under gets hot and weapons that dont roll to hit smile.png. In my statement above I should have clarified plasma cannons...Fever brothers....

thats really good to know thanks a bunch, will have to remember that in the future...

20 points for a 1 use weapon isn't worth it.  just spend 15 points somewhere else on a plasma cannon with more range that you can use every turn, and treat yourself to a whole extra 5 points FREE!!!!!! :P

Its not a plasma cannon per se. Its a mobile master crafted one shot plasma cannon, which you can move and fire.

If you are good at positioning it can hurt a lot. But it is too situational.

If you're willing to pay 10 points for a combi-plasma, paying another 10 points for that combi-plasma to have both Blast and Master-crafted whilst also allowing you to shoot and assault seems quite reasonable to me. Of course, you might not fancy the combi-plas in the first place tongue.png

alternatively, if 10 points is already just about the limit you'd pay for a 1 shot weapon... doubling the cost isn't such a great thing. ;)  it's undeniable a good weapon, it's just not easy to justify the cost.  or to put it another way, how often have you seen a tachyon arrow used?  A what?  exactly.  an infinite range, str10, ap1, entropic strike, assault weapon is AWESOME but you never see them because despite being good it's a 1 shot weapon and you're just gonna get better value for your points elsewhere.  

Anyhow, I was thinking of putting a Company Master with Lion's Roar and Power Field Generator with a Devastator Squad armed with 4 Plasma Cannons and a Combi-Plas. That's 5 PC blasts and a plasma gun which re-roll To Hit and To Wound rolls of 1 against Chaos Space Marines (my most common opponents)

Why not a Libby?

Cheaper and you can re-roll to hit...

It gives me a reason to use my 2007 box set Master model!

Its not a plasma cannon per se. Its a mobile master crafted one shot plasma cannon, which you can move and fire.

If you are good at positioning it can hurt a lot. But it is too situational.

If you're willing to pay 10 points for a combi-plasma, paying another 10 points for that combi-plasma to have both Blast and Master-crafted whilst also allowing you to shoot and assault seems quite reasonable to me. Of course, you might not fancy the combi-plas in the first place tongue.png

Not my cup of tea, there are better options to spend points on.

alternatively, if 10 points is already just about the limit you'd pay for a 1 shot weapon... doubling the cost isn't such a great thing. msn-wink.gif it's undeniable a good weapon, it's just not easy to justify the cost. or to put it another way, how often have you seen a tachyon arrow used? A what? exactly. an infinite range, str10, ap1, entropic strike, assault weapon is AWESOME but you never see them because despite being good it's a 1 shot weapon and you're just gonna get better value for your points elsewhere.

Well does every battle against the metal abominations count?

Since the Lion's Roar is a one-shot weapon, I think it lends itself to a character coming down in a drop-pod or by deep strike, but who is expected to get into hand-to-hand combat on the following turn if he survives. He's got nothing better to do after the deep strike, blast away - since it's an assault weapon and not a heavy weapon, this works even for a guy in power armor. On the next turn, you might not want to throw that much plasma into a unit you intend to charge, lest you blow away the front line and fail the charge distance roll, so the fact that you only got one pop out of the weapon kind of doesn't matter. The question then becomes, is that 20 points worth putting on that character, or somewhere else in the army, leaving the character to use his pea-shooter bolt pistol (or whatever) when he gets out of the drop pod. Personally, I can see that 20 points being well-spent in this kind of backfield disruption role. However, there are lots of ways to spend 20 points.

Archived