Crimson Fists WIP

Brother Angelos:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/BrotherGuyus/2013-05-06172024_zps122def3c.jpg

This was my first attempt at conversion work (the blu-tack with be replaced with green stuff before painting), so any comments on how to improve would be welcomed.

These are looking great! Loving the dynamic poses. Looking forward to Kantor! smile.png

Just out of interest what combination of blues are you using? I only ask because my tend to paint my Ultramarines a darkish blue, but I'm running out of the old style GW paints and have no idea which of the new blues to use on my guys!

These are looking great! Loving the dynamic poses. Looking forward to Kantor! smile.png

Just out of interest what combination of blues are you using? I only ask because my tend to paint my Ultramarines a darkish blue, but I'm running out of the old style GW paints and have no idea which of the new blues to use on my guys!

Can't say for Brother Guyus, but for my Rainbow Warriors, I've been using Kantor blue (formerly Regal blue) with Drakenhof Nightshade (formerly Asurmen blue) and Enchanted blue (Caledor sky as it's known now) for highlights. Comes out quite dark. I chose it over a lighter shade as it seemed more "grim dark" ^_^

Nice models Brother Guyus ^_^ I've been sorely tempted to get an order in with Forge World, but I have so much to get painted already that I'm having to sit on my hands every time I'm tempted to go to their website! :blink:

Thanks for the comments guys, I'm hoping to have them painted by the end of the week.

@Ultrad81: After giving a chaos black primer, I use kantor blue for a basecoat, followed by a layer of 1:1 mix of kantor blue and alaitoc blue (leaving recess' as kantor blue). I then give the model a drakenhof nightshade wash to help blend and darken the colours. If I want to give further highlights, I use Hoeth blue in a 2:1 mix with alaitoc blue. Finally, I give an all over glaze with guilliman blue. Hope that helps thumbsup.gif

@Aquilanus: Yeah, though forge world is bad for the wallet, it is nice and easy to work with, as well as nicely detailed, with very few air bubbles.

I managed to get my sternguards to about 90% painted, all I need to do is add some finishing details such as squad numbers and then base them.

Squad Craegan:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/BrotherGuyus/2013-05-09134410_zps6811403a.jpg

A quick update, progress on my as yet unnamed assault terminator captain:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/BrotherGuyus/2013-05-12142537_zps9810b597.jpg

This is my first venture into using greenstuff for anything other than joints. I had some real trouble trying to get it even relatively smooth, which lead to a lot of censored.gif .

The chain at the bottom has been sorted to look less wonky since this photo was taken. All c&c would be welcomed.

A quick update, progress on my as yet unnamed assault terminator captain:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/BrotherGuyus/2013-05-12142537_zps9810b597.jpg

This is my first venture into using greenstuff for anything other than joints. I had some real trouble trying to get it even relatively smooth, which lead to a lot of censored.gif .

The chain at the bottom has been sorted to look less wonky since this photo was taken. All c&c would be welcomed.

Good stuff! ^_^ I haven't tried using gs for something that complex yet (something on my to do list) he looks bad ass! ^_^

Today saw the completion of Sternguard Squad Craegan:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/BrotherGuyus/ae0af029-8e4e-4d36-b207-daeefa311b00_zps46769ef4.jpg

Also, some further work on the assault termies:

http://i1280.photobucket.com/albums/a481/BrotherGuyus/2013-05-13212734_zps160b309a.jpg

Nice work fella, the only thing that's off is the script on their armour, they're too thick, try only using the very tip of the brush.

But that's all that's wrong with their armour.

Thanks for the comments guys, 

Nice work fella, the only thing that's off is the script on their armour, they're too thick, try only using the very tip of the brush.

Looking at the photos, I see where you're coming from, it was my first attempt at free handing anything, so I think I went a bit over board. Thanks for the advice brother, I'm going to be experimenting to find out which brush I have gives me the smallest point to work with.

Thanks for the comments guys,

Looking at the photos, I see where you're coming from, it was my first attempt at free handing anything, so I think I went a bit over board. Thanks for the advice brother, I'm going to be experimenting to find out which brush I have gives me the smallest point to work with.

No problem brother, I find the GW detail brush is the right brush for script work for me. If you wanna try my method add a drop or two of water on a piece of tissue, over load that spot with the script paint colour you want, wipe off most of it. That's what I do and it seems to work.

Also just so you know I wasn't putting your first attempt down.

Some great looking CF's you've got there. A really good start. The only thing I'd recommend is maybe a thinned down wash over the armour to tie the highlights together a little more. Also maybe some washes on the skin tones of the helmetless guys. I'm liking the kitbashes and especially the autocannon, GET SOME!

Keep up the good work.

If you need a good brush for doing script on your armour try the army painter brush called the psycho. yes.gif thumbsup.gif

I've always used Windsor and Newton, but everyone has their own brush preference ^_^

Archived