Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITHI tried my hand at airbrushing... and failed miserably. :tongue.: I don't know whether it's the paint thickness or wrong pressure or something else entirely, but I clearly have a lot to learn. :smile.:

It's a learning curve, but not a terrible one.  Hang in there :thumbsup:

What was the problem?  Clogs?  Spidering?  Spontaneous combustion?

Heya. Thanks for the reply. I'm mainly getting spidering when trying to get close to the model. I'm guessing either the pressure is too high or I have put too much acrylic thinner in with the paint? Most of the troubleshooting guides are pretty vague since different paints behave differently. I'll see if the painting section has some threads discussing it. It would probably be a bad idea to clog (:tongue.:) this thread with too much off-topic discussion.

Edited by Flame Boy

TITHI tried my hand at airbrushing... and failed miserably. :tongue.: I don't know whether it's the paint thickness or wrong pressure or something else entirely, but I clearly have a lot to learn. :smile.:

It's a learning curve, but not a terrible one.  Hang in there :thumbsup:

What was the problem?  Clogs?  Spidering?  Spontaneous combustion?

Heya. Thanks for the reply. I'm mainly getting spidering when trying to get close to the model. I'm guessing either the pressure is too high or I have put too much acrylic thinner in with the paint? Most of the troubleshooting guides are pretty vague since different paints behave differently. I'll see if the painting section has some threads discussing it. It would probably be a bad idea to clog (:tongue.:) this thread with too much off-topic discussion.

I just bought an airbrush and am waiting for it to arrive. I've heard practicing on just paper or cardboard is a great way to learn without having to strip your miniatures over and over again. You can practice really technique like holding a straight line, learn how the spray reacts to different trigger pressures, etc.

That's a good idea. I did some shading on a Hive Tyrant yesterday that will need a little tidying up and I'm base coating a Morkanaut today. It's not 100% smooth but I won't worry too much since it's going to be a camo pattern anyway. I'll hold off doing anything fancy until I get a feel for it.

I hope you learn to use your airbrush quickly, it seems like it'll be pretty useful with practice. :)

TITHI Painted the inset panels on the shoulder pads of my three custodes squads in different colours (red, white and black respectively) to serve as squad markings, began plotting how many new custodes I'm going to buy while simultaneously keeping my fingers crossed that we do get the forge world contemptor variants (Galatus and Achillus patterns not the Telemon)

as the rumour's have suggested we will

I'm counting this as today, despite this starting yesterday: I built a Know No Fear box of Primaris Marines to serve as the core of my new Raptors chapter and did a combat squad of Reivers to go with them and give my army the first bit of it's future build direction. I the got everything primed and started work on my Gravis captain. At 4am this morning I stopped working on my Gravis captain and let the nuln oil on the silver start drying.

I'm considering, despite the OD Green armour and camo pattern cape, of giving him an orange power sword to represent the burning blade since I plan on being rather aggressive with him (SFTS with him an some Aggressors near the front lines, using him to buff the unit and give it a valuable counter charge via Heroic Intervention if it gets hit by a charging unit). Though I haven't committed to it since the Indomitus Armour might make him tank the front lines better.

Burning blade is very nice, despite people claiming the Teeth of Terra is flat-out better. With enough attacks, you can clear entire squads of marines with it in short order (I’ve killed five guys with one attack phase). Armor Indomitus gives a Gravis Captain a 2+ and a 3++, which probably isn’t needed horribly for one turn, given Gravis Armor is 2+ already. Burning blade ensures absolutely nothing gets an armor save, so when facing something without invulnerable saves whatever you wound dies.

Personally, TITH, I played a tourney-style game with a tourney-style list and did reasonably well. I am readjusting for the tournament proper.

Today I bought the codex space marines on my iPad and had some paint brushes and other bits and bobs delivered. Also had a look in my works warehouse for glues and any paints that might be handy but none were so looks like I’m buying them.

Tithi went through my painted black legion guys, and on a whim scraped the chaos stars and arrows off their shoulder pads filed them down and put some gesso on as a primer and then painted over (idea being it will cover the "detail" of any rougher areas and anything left can be played up as "battle damage").

If it turns out looking narfy, I'll just get some of B@c pads and sub them in.

Today in the hobby I cleaned up and primed the horribly-assembled DV Ravenwing squad that I got in the second-hand bin for $12.  What can you expect for $4 a bike?  At least they weren't painted too.

And I primed my properly-assembled Scout Bike squad.  I wish I could get started on painting these this weekend, but I need to wait for the primer to cure.  Hopefully next weekend.

Perhaps I'll do some more work on painting my Goliath gang.

TITH I made a teeny tiny bit of progress on this damn Tesseract commission...that the guy wanted by Christmas :facepalm:

Never, ever tell an artist of any medium that it's a "loose" deadline.

Edited by Firepower

TITH I’ve just had dark imperium delivered after buying it on eBay (got it £20 cheaper than buying it in GW) so gonna be messing about with that for a bit. Not sure what to do with the Death Guard sprues yet as I’m not a big chaos fan.

Also started assembling other bits and bobs I’d bought ready for priming and the big foray into getting the painting underway.

Tithi settled on p3 Great coat grey (may favorite color of theirs) as a base :> stegadon scale green cells on the shoulder pads and leg armor bits. For my 1000~ point list I got 13 out of 30 marines done up in the gcg.

TITH....I'm actually going to sum up a few days:

I decided to not continue with Marines (for now at least) and ended up starting Mechanicus.

I've build 5x Corpuscarii Electro-priests (primed with GW's silver primer), 5x Infiltrators (also primed), Cawl (who also is painted but needs basing), a Neutron Dunecrawler (also primed, but left in sub-assemblies), found my Dominus (originally painted Metalica colors with a Volkite and Macrostubber combo, re-primed for new project) and started assembly on my Rangers and Vanguard (building 5 of each using the starter box).

Rangers and Vanguard are being built with Arquebus and Plasma respectively, but since I'm going to effectively need three boxes to flesh out the squads fully I'm thinking of doing the other ten guys as Vanguard and give them Arc Rifles.

Painting wise (outside of Cawl) I'm looking at Forge World Moon Deimos (which has a nice kind of cool grey scheme for the robes with red armour and makes me feel less silly if I pair in Grey Knights or an Inquisitor to help me balance out my army against psyker silliness in the future), and running them using the rules for Graia (anti-psyker strategem and the ability to shoot in close combat Warlord trait bubble says "fights daemons" the most to me).

Fulkes, I'm very happy that you've found inspiration with the Mechanicus. Am eager to hear how well that holds up to the test of time. Cheers for ya!

Thanks! Well I've gotten past painting a single model and deciding if I want to keep it up (all that did was affirm that while I can paint red rather quickly for robes (took me less than an hour to from base coat to finish to do all of the red on Cawl) I'm not really interested in doing a full Mars army (maybe it's all that dull silver that kind of starts blending together from further away).

I've been wracking my head over Deimos' colors but I've just about nailed it I think: Fang basecoat (helps tone the layer above it), Russ Grey overall layer, wash (was thinking Nuln Oil but with the lightness of the colors it looks too dark. Thinking a green to match the very slight greenish tint that Deimos' official art has in the greys (I checked using MS Paint and the color sampler tool)) but I'm going to need to play around with a test model (I've got some scouts with camo cloaks I'm going to use since the more defined ridges will make contrast easier to see), then Ferensian Grey as a fine/edge highlight. If I need a lighter highlight over that I'll be looking at likely lightening Fenresian Grey with a bit of White Scar since there isn't a lighter blue-grey over that.