Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH I did something semi-related. I've been designing a storage container/dice tray for Betrayal at Calth. I'm tired of the components banging around in bags in the box. The container I'm making will hold all the components in it and serve as a small dice tray after I pad the bottom.

That's a really awesome idea, Warriorhunter!  Mind showing us when you're done?  I know I'm super stoked about something like that :)  

Hmm, blast, I ran out of likes... first time ever.  -makes a mental note for tomorrow morning- 

TITHI continued work on my Libarian conversion as well as ETL work (painted my Annie barge, did some touch up on my scarabs). In the process of said ETL work I managed to spill half to two thirds of my (nearly full!!) pot of Drakenhof Nightshade on my desk. There went $3.75 of paint right there. *shrug* Que sera sera.

At any rate I got a lot of work done.

That's a really awesome idea, Warriorhunter!  Mind showing us when you're done?  I know I'm super stoked about something like that :smile.:  

Hmm, blast, I ran out of likes... first time ever.  -makes a mental note for tomorrow morning- 

Here's the design I put together in Tinkercad:

Hidden Content
CJm5DBD.jpg

The base (red) is on my printer right now, should be done tonight and then I'll print the lid (cream). There is an UM logo on the backside of the base. I thought it was a nice touch to put the faction symbols on it. When it's done printing I'll clean it up, sand it down a little, and then probably give it a quick and dirty paint job. There are holes on the top and bottom where I'll put 3mm magnets to keep it closed. The cards and dice will all sit in there and the cardboard chits will rest on top of those.

The symbols are arranged so that I know which way the lid fits. The box is 4mm longer in one direction, the eagle wings will always line up to the two sides that don't have chapter symbols. I plan on getting a bit of neoprene mat and lining the bottom of the base so it will serve as a dice tray when playing. I have a lot of printed terrain I put on the board to make it look more immersive so rolling on the board is usually not an option, and rolling on my table is loud and bouncy.

That is a seriously awesome piece of work, Warriorhunter.  The emblems on it are killer and good idea to use the spaces for 3mm magnets.  The differentiation with the eagle wings is great as is lining the bottom of the box to roll dice (much like 40K, blasted dice do like trying to murder models).  Seriously awesome stuff, mate!  Hah, printed terrain eh?  Great idea, too.  Don't happen to got a link to seein' some devastation in progress do ya? 

Post Scriptum:

TITH, I sanded down a bit of a Dreadclaw and looked at pieces for a Siege Breaker Centurion.  About as close to 'no work' as I'll get until ETL is over. 

Edited by Vykes

That is a seriously awesome piece of work, Warriorhunter.  The emblems on it are killer and good idea to use the spaces for 3mm magnets.  The differentiation with the eagle wings is great as is lining the bottom of the box to roll dice (much like 40K, blasted dice do like trying to murder models).  Seriously awesome stuff, mate!  Hah, printed terrain eh?  Great idea, too.  Don't happen to got a link to seein' some devastation in progress do ya? 

Not any good ones, but this should give you an idea:

Hidden Content
mKqJtj9.jpg?1

TITHI finished designing and printing the box for the Calth components. It fits everything perfectly, has a donated mouse pad in the bottom for rolling on, and takes 3mm magnets so the lid doesn't fall off in the box. When I finally get a compressor to pair with my airbrush I'll paint it up.

Hidden Content
ooLlBjG.jpg

Hidden Content
m9mUfX1.jpg

Hidden Content
bPP7Ctj.jpg

Hidden Content
CxQjwiV.jpg

Hidden Content
U4ewvJX.jpg

TITH I started work on planning out a Renegade CSM army based around the poster boys of "jerkishness" in the Imperium: the Marines Malevolent. Basically it's a project where I'm planning to build 1-2 of every unit in the CSM book, though I'm still muddling about what to load out units with to take advantage of the Dark Raider rule (likely a lot of assault weapons). The problem I'm currently facing is translating the MM paint scheme into CSM. The extra trim on CSM demands something other than just painting it yellow (like the loyalist MM), and I'm stuck debating between purple (example here) or silver (example here). Both visually work, I'm just not sure if I want to lean towards a warmer over all color balance (with the purple) or a slightly cooler look (with a dull silver). 

Today in the hobby, I'm coming off of my hiatus and focusing on expanding my Death Guard this time around. Now to just figure out if I should first purchase more Plague Marines, a Plagueburst Crawler, or two more Myphitic Blight Haulers for my return to Papa Nurgle's domain.

.....That being said I am eagerly(and impatiently, I might add :P ) awaiting the Killteam faction focus for the DG.

TITH I prepped my final ETL vow; too many terminators and not enough choom. 

@TheWarriorHunter, that Calth box is fantastic.  Utterly fantastic, love'n it mate!  Seriously, I totally love that.  Gah, gotta make one myself then instead of just leaving it in one of my cases.  Now... can it make my dice not roll blanks?  Because that would be awesome after losing Sor Gharax in 2 turns. And that printed scenery is pretty boss, jealous man, I am. 

Edited by Vykes

TITH I finished my captain, and he was also the first HQ I've painted for my army. I also finished up a heavy flamer and lighting claw for my cataphractii squad. I'm have a narrative Space Hulk event this weekend and I'm ready to rock a squad of painted models and purge the heretics:

Hidden Content
9XlZ3Pk.jpg

Hidden Content
mbJnk3S.jpg

TITH...I scratched a very long standing hobby itch by painting this:

gallery_917_14766_968802.jpg

Like a lot of older hobbyists, I've always had a soft spot for the Rogue Trader poster-boys, but this is the first Crimson Fist I've ever painted. Still a bit of work to do on him, but overall I'm pretty happy with the result. Very tempted to start a new army.... :smile.:

I picked up the start of my Renegade Marines Malevolent today: one start collecting Chaos Space Marine box and a Daemon Prince. Since I'm only planning on a single unit of Cultists to support a pair of CSM units I'm still mulling over wargear choices for my army. On the flipside, my paint scheme is has been worked out so it's more a matter of getting things into at least sub assemblies so the painting can begin.

TITH I've been somewhat slacking in the hobby department due to the World Cup and an unusally hot summer in the UK plus I've had birthday parties to go to etc etc but I started building some Deathwatch Primaris and a few Ultramarines from a joblot of stuff I brought on ebay. Also it came with two Custodes which I've started assembling. I'll get back to my White Consuls over the weekend and hopefully this will get me back in the groove.

I finally started painting (DP still in progress, but he's close to done):

hQbGm1l.png

Let's hope that the novelty of yellow CSM (and the chapter being a bunch of *bleep*-hats) is enough to keep me interested in this project unlike my usual habit of getting distracted/bored/ect and dropping a project early.

TITHI basically painted an entire Imperial Fists hellblaster just so I could try out chipping medium for the first time.  It's not my favorite BT model so far but it'd didn't come out as terribly as I feared it would.

Edited by Phantomzero17