Today in the hobby I....

Aegnor

TITH...I finished reading Praetorian of Dorn. Best heresy book I've read in a long time. Very impressed with both John French's prose/writing style, and also the resolution of the Alpharius story arc (from the revelation in Legion to bringing the Primarch of the Alpha Legion in line with GW's original lore).

Heartily recommended. I can actually say it's helped to rekindle my interest in 30k.

Next up on my reading list: Master of Mankind ☺

TITHI Turned a spare primaris lieutenant into a primaris librarian with only minor blood loss, some spare bits from my gubbins box and around half an hours effort, currently about 90% of the way to a decent table top standard paint job on him as well

Also got a subscription to warhammer conquest (smurfs, ,deathguard, terrain, brushes and free paints for just over £30 a month, why not)

Oh yeah my groaning model storage room that's why:wallbash: 

I'll just have to use a hammer to fit them in with:wink: 

Over the past few days in the hobby, I ventured into Liverpool GW and picked up the Chaos codex along with the Crusade anthology for some diversion. YITHI picked up the Of Honour And Iron and War of Secrets novels, along with a couple more paints for my 40k chapter, and also a drop-pod! Been playing marines since 1998 and this is the first one I've ever bought. TITHI finished patching up a terminator squad to run with my chapter master, and finished building the last of ten Intercessors.

TiTH, I bought yet another Kill Team Core set (for the terrain), and then I went and bought my first full sized gaming mat while placing a reserve for a second....

... Kill Team terrain has ruined me for this "Make your own terrain" thing!  Gah! Storm Eagles parts are soaking in the sink. 

OoOoo, got some custom heraldry for knights, flameboy?  Noooice, you better be showing us all right quick :P Seriously, I always wanted to get/make some custom decals but I could never figure out who was good, what was good, then what I'd want.  

Fortis, mate, yeah, I know that feeling... I really know that feeling.  I've been thinking of using the Call of Chaos as an excuse to finish up a platoon of marines, resin shoebox, and three pseudo-plastic parrot drop ships.  Because there ain't no way that's gonna get done before Christmas at this rate. Since ETL I think I might have finished 1 model.  Ton of terrain, sure, but models, nah-uh. 

I've been working on my Gravis Captain for a few days now and will be tacking my Primaris Ancient next. Learning to use weathering powders has been interesting, as has learning to use microset and microsol for decals. Mostly in the "why the warp didn't I do this sooner?" sort of way.

In other news it seems like my Primaris Imperial Fists are going down the road of being very heavilly weathered and dirty. I'm almost tempted to say they look like they just walked out of a nasty campaign or perhaps are still in the midst of one. 

If I could unlose my camera (likely buried in my hobby supplies somewhere) then I can get around to taking potato quality images again (trust me, my potato of a flip phone is not going to cut it instead), but for now I'm going to keep working on them in hopes of keeping the momentum up when I'm not doing thirteen other things (to include still working on that feedback document I'm going to send GW about Astartes).

OoOoo, got some custom heraldry for knights, flameboy?  Noooice, you better be showing us all right quick :tongue.: Seriously, I always wanted to get/make some custom decals but I could never figure out who was good, what was good, then what I'd want.  

Fortis, mate, yeah, I know that feeling... I really know that feeling.  I've been thinking of using the Call of Chaos as an excuse to finish up a platoon of marines, resin shoebox, and three pseudo-plastic parrot drop ships.  Because there ain't no way that's gonna get done before Christmas at this rate. Since ETL I think I might have finished 1 model.  Ton of terrain, sure, but models, nah-uh. 

I'll show you the quick and dirty images I created by smashing a series of google images together in Photoshop. The company I commissioned to create the decals have to re-draw the image into vector graphics, so my feeble drawing skills hopefully won't detract from the finished model too much. 

Beaconsrock2 copy

emblem copy

Again, not works of art but once it's been debiggened the lack of textures will hopefully not be too noticeable.

The company I approached was Fallout Hobbies. I already ordered decals from them once before and they did a great job imo. Check out the Forge World symbol I put on my Mechanicus models: 

Erad

I'm sure there's plenty of other companies that do custom Decals but this one has already worked for me in the past. I hope my scribblings prove useful. :)

Started painting up my Allarus Custodians after undercoating them and a Terminator Squad this morning. Pleased with the gold I've used, because I think the GW one is a bit too shiny for my tastes, just wish my first attempt at painting a lightning effect on the axe blade had gone better.

allarus_custodian_1_1_by_lpjgpr-dcmwkov.

allarus_custodian_1_2_by_lpjgpr-dcmwkvd.

Congrats, Fortis! Any chance of a photo here, or are we left to simply imagine the work you've done?

And for me, these past few weeks in the hobby I've been building some Wraiths claw by claw. That is not exaggeration. I haven't had time to do more than a couple claws a night (thanks, rl.)

TITH I managed to score an unopened box of Wulfen and a Start Collecting Space Wolves box for about 25% off normal price in the "used" bin - someone obviously sold a SW collection that they didn't ever get around to building.  I also found the parts for a cyclone missile launcher in the free bits bin at my home store, got myself the new Rogue Trader box and the Iron Priest model.  It was a good day for hobby acquisitions.

Fixed the lens color on my Primaris Captain (violet just lacked a visual pop when paired next to yellow), made more progress on my Gravis Captain, started work on my Primaris Ancient while the Gravis Captain had stuff drying. I couldn't make the larger chapter decal I wanted to use for the banner work so I painted the center with Pallid Witch Flesh (my go-to for white as it's off white enough to let White Scar serve as a highlight, while not so dark to look grey), trimmed one of the more detailed decals (I felt the banner was a good place for the gauntlet instead of the silhouette) a bit and mounted it in before painting Pallid Witch Flesh over the edges to help blend the two parts better. I also unlost my camera so pictures will eventually be coming, though due to the age of that potato I'm likely going to stick to group shots over individual models as the macro isn't good enough for extreme closeups.

Lookin' good, Viridia! What gold are you using?

And TITH I finally finished my veteran tac squad with all the WYSIWYG gubbins.

Cheers! It's Burning Gold from Foundry Miniatures. I swear by a lot of their paints (thanks to being bigger than GW's, not much difference, if any, in the price, and that most colours come with a dark and light version for shading/highlighting)

And the yellow on those veterans is amazing with the black on the backpack heat vents. Nice effect on the plasma gun and volkite charger, I always get envious of people who can paint glow effects like that. :happy.:

Since I found my potato cam and finished my Gravis Captain, have some progress shots for my army:

81XCbBu.jpg

jIR8kuP.jpg

QjDftVD.jpg

Also I now need to work out how to light these guys so the matte finish (which is needed to protect the weathering powder) so they're less shiny.

Cheers! It's Burning Gold from Foundry Miniatures. I swear by a lot of their paints (thanks to being bigger than GW's, not much difference, if any, in the price, and that most colours come with a dark and light version for shading/highlighting)

And the yellow on those veterans is amazing with the black on the backpack heat vents. Nice effect on the plasma gun and volkite charger, I always get envious of people who can paint glow effects like that. ^_^

Thanks for the kind words on my veterans, much appreciated.

As far as the Foundry Miniatures paints.... TITH I just ordered the Burning Gold triad. Not that I need any more flavors of gold or anymore paint, for that matter. Nice, rather subdued range. But..... must...not...order...more.