Men Fly With Gunships Where Angels Fly With Wings [up.11]

Nevetz

I think that's because brown isn't a colour you usually see on Marines, that and the Marines themselves are silver. Maybe they could do with tying together a little more rather than just the heraldic colours and symbols? There's no green on the Marines for example, maybe if the red/green on the tank was complemented with some silver? It's hard to say confused.gif

The real problem is that the Guardians of Revenant have silver PA and red symbols/clothes and this scheme just doesn't fit on vehicles (or it comes out something very similar to Grey Knights). Also the weathering on a silver vehicle.. can't really say what the resut will be. So I decided to follow the IG brown/red scheme adding also green to distinct Space Marines from Elysians, keeping in the same time the scheme for the entire army.

The final result, as you can see from the pics, is a desert styled Razorback with typical "medieval" Space Marines' insignias. Probably the next Space Marines I'll paint will have the same half red - half green style on the shoulders and on the left knee (and I can just try to do them on the Marines I've already painted months ago).

Probably something like this (something made really quick with Photoshop)(crossed sword are the Guardians official icon):

http://imageshack.us/a/img689/1645/ytvt.pnghttp://imageshack.us/a/img24/4947/bqjt.png

Cheers :)

The real problem is that the Guardians of Revenant have silver PA and red symbols/clothes and this scheme just doesn't fit on vehicles (or it comes out something very similar to Grey Knights). Also the weathering on a silver vehicle.. can't really say what the resut will be. So I decided to follow the IG brown/red scheme adding also green to distinct Space Marines from Elysians, keeping in the same time the scheme for the entire army.

I know what you mean about silver vehicles, so I went with black and red for my Guardians of the Covenant vehicles.....

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/facmanpob/Miniatures/Space%20Marines/3rd%20Company/IMG_0791.jpg

I actually like the desert colour idea for your vehicles though......after all, its not unreasonable to think that a marine chapter might actually adopt some form of camo pattern......http://1d4chan.org/wiki/Reasonable_Marines

KUTGW thumbsup.gif

I came up with another idea - what about copious amounts of guff on the tank? Cables, packs, crates and other panoply of war. Would help "disguise" some of the colour scheme differences and look cool to boot.

The Marines look good, it should help them appear a more cohesive force as well as make them more clearly Guardians of the Covenant. Your force should be coming together nicely now?

What's "guff", WarriorFish? :P The idea is interesting, as the campaign of those Elysians and Guardians takes place on a Chaos/traitor desert world, and they should appear as a moving convoy (the guardsmen that you can see in some pics on the background already have gas masks and large traveller's backpacks) so your idea of "supplies transports" fits in perfectly! 

For the other marines, the Power Armors will follow the scheme, same for the vehicles (I'm planning buying a Storm Eagle with Dark Angels doors to accompany the Vendetta squadron). The question remains for Terminators. They could really pop out from the rest of the army if I find something for them, like paiting them as red as the chapter robes, but I'm still sooooooooo unsure about this..

I updated my 2500pts DA + Elysia game list to fit a Storm Eagle and 5 DeathWing Knights + another Librarian, so soon I'll start working also on the termies. For the scheme I think I'll go for a metallic scheme (like Grey Knights, but darker/weathered). Gotta give some black undercoat to a termy in the lunch break.

If I can make one suggestion for your marines, its that you paint the chest aquila a different colour.....possibly a burnished gold washed with black. It'll help it stand out more, and give an accent colour for your marines to compliment the silver and red. Other than that, they are looking very nice.

Regarding WarriorFish's suggestion about extra "guff" on the tank, I think he means something like this....

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/146242-crimson-ultrawings-a-chapter-is-born/?p=1695455

BulldogUK's awesome Crimson Ultrawings....keep scrolling down, there are some awesome vehicle models in there! smile.png

If I can make one suggestion for your marines, its that you paint the chest aquila a different colour.....possibly a burnished gold washed with black. It'll help it stand out more, and give an accent colour for your marines to compliment the silver and red. Other than that, they are looking very nice.

Regarding WarriorFish's suggestion about extra "guff" on the tank, I think he means something like this....

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/146242-crimson-ultrawings-a-chapter-is-born/?p=1695455

BulldogUK's awesome Crimson Ultrawings....keep scrolling down, there are some awesome vehicle models in there! smile.png

Awesome stufff you linked, facmanpob. I especially like the backpacks and packed sheets, I'll try to make some from GS and see if I can fit the 2nd Vendetta/Storm Eagle flyer base of them and also on the 2nd Razorback. In the meanwhile, I gace to a test terminator a drybrush of Necron Compund and a wash of Nuln Oil, the result is good but I couldn't take a pic of it. This evening I'll make some other steps and see if they'll fit with the others.

For the imperial eagle, adding it some color would be nice (those guys were painted quickly and for tabletop gaming so they lacked lots of details) but I think I'll prefer going more for a red or green eagle, just because there isn't too much of both of them on the entire models :)

I'll so also try that, and post the result, as usual. Thanks for the help and for keeping adding suggestions!

I finished the first test terminator and I can't say if I'm happy or not. With a metallic armor such Grey Knights and red and black iconography such as stripes and pieces half red and half green the terminator looks like it came out from a Bretonnian castle. I don't really dislike him but I think he just doesn't fit inyo the army I'm painting.

So I've primed another one with the same primer used for vehicles and gave him a brown wash. Now it almost looks like one of the GW one, just with a darker brown.

Today I'll post the pics of both, and in the lunch break I'll paint some base colors on the second one and prepare it for weathering.

Cool, I was going to say we'll need a picture. I can't imagine it being as bad as you say but maybe you can add some bits for more variety of colours? Something like a change in the aquila colour as mentioned before can do a lot for a Marine.

Basically - today I suck at taking photos and this one is the best one I could take. It was so dark I had to lighten it with Photoshop. The right terminator is the "Bretonnian Knight" one, the left one is the guy I'm painting with the "classic" scheme.

http://img43.imageshack.us/img43/9599/afrs.jpg

I like him, I think he looks fine and fits in with the other Marines. Basing would help of course but I don't see the resemblance to a Bretonnian. I can't see him on a horse that's for sure :P Maybe he just needs some friends?

I'm interested in seeing how the second scheme turns out too, but that doesn't mean I agree with your sentiments on the first!

Well yes the guy isn't bad but... also, for the army, I'm going to paint DeathWing Knights (so they'll also have robes and maces) and maybe the left scheme will look better.

It still remains a question how to paint the Dreadnoughts (one Venerable with 2 autocannons and one Mortis Contemptor with 2 Kheres Assault Cannons): to keep the vehicles scheme or to paint them like PA/termies?

Archived