Kharn the Betrayer: Sculpting Commission

Hey Brothers,

A B&C member has recently commissioned me to produce a Khârn the Betrayer model from the time of Istvaan V for use in his Heresy Era World Eaters. I will be posting progress updates on this thread.

Most of the armour will be sculpted using my Heresy Era Armour Marks tutorials but for now only the shins of his MKII plate have been done thus far. I look forward to having a go at the 'bunny ears' on his MKV type helmet. I have used bluetack to give you guys an impression of the pose he will be set in. (Also bear in mind he will have a hefty chain axe, not a crow bar tongue.png )

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/KharnWIP1WM_zps79ca47a3.jpg

Expect to see a lot of green in this thread brothers.

Cheers,

GV

If it's Heresy-Era he won't need to worry about the bunny ears, he just had a simple crest in those days.

I've got to agree with Heinrich here - heresy era world eaters looked pretty normal by my understanding; they weren't necessarily "Khorne" bezerkers yet, just mentalists with nails in their brains with a preference for smashing skulls. I think the bunny ears came later...

I tried making a Khârn without bunny ears, it just didn't look like Khârn. Nothing about it screamed Khârn the betrayer/soon to be betrayer. I'm currently sourcing some ears to I can compare and contrast. Will post a pic, with and without. Currently I'm with Firepower.

"*chants* Buh-nee-ears! Buh-nee-ears! Buh-nee-ears! Buh-nee-ears! "

If enough of us chant we might get heard.

Whatever you, or your client decide, I'm looking forward to this.

I'm all for artistic license; but if it's Istvaan V Kharne then he'd look like a Mk IV armoured (correct me if I'm wrong guys) world eater captain. I believe he had a helmet crest like a roman centurion, but def no ears!

But hey, he's your guy! I've had a look at your modelling + excited to see what you come up with.

Hey Brothers,

Woa! we're getting some serious bunny ears hate :P 

Apart from the impracticalities of having a dynamic pose with a billboard on your head many have correctly pointed out that it isn't fluffy for heresy world eaters. That being said I didn't feel that a simple helmet crest would be very suitable. I hope I don't offend any World Eater players here but a horse hair crest doesn't seem blunt enough for an officer in that oh so crazy legion. 

Accordingly the client and I went back to the drawing board and came up with this compromise on extra helmet detail, brutality and fluff accuracy...

http://i1110.photobucket.com/albums/h451/Zaevin/KharnHelmetConcept_zps237473bd.jpg

Something similar can be seen on the Vulkan Hes'tan model's helmet. It's like the helmet crest without the horse hair I guess. Looks quite gladiatorial. 

I'd love to know what you guys think of it but I can't wait to render it in a model :)

Cheers,

GV

Interesting compromise on the crest.  But if you really want it to come across as more gladiatorial, I'd make it come to a blade-point, and possibly add some spikier studs around it.  Just a thought :)

Just the studs you have, not spikes. Too khorne-ish.

Stick with what you got drawn there, man. It's subtle, but effective. Simple is sometimes the best answer.

Archived