Go to solution Solved by Brother-Chaplain Kage,

The group of folks my brother and I are going to start playing 10th with want to begin with Combat Patrol rules and go on to the normal game from there. It also gives some of the people starting a new army (or their first one) to build up their army. I've decided to go with Eldar since I already have everything that comes in the Combat Patrol box (though I did get 6 of the new Windrider bikes) and I want to continue my progress on the Corsairs anyway.

Dragging out what I think is all my eldar stuff - I'm terrible at organizing my minis and there could still be stuff in other boxes - I started to take an inventory and look at what options I have for expansion beyond the contents of a Combat Patrol.

I knew I had a lot of the old jetbikes on sprue, but 41 is more than I thought. Seven Vypers, too. I had big plans for a Saim-Hann jetbike army back in the day when Bartertown was where a lot of folks sold or traded 40k stuff and anytime I saw some jetbikes for a good price, whether is a few or as many as 10-12, I grabbed them up. As for aspect warriors, I have some Artel W alternate models for Scorpions and Warp Spiders but some old metal versions of a few others.

Dark Reapers:

image.png.469e9169ef1661b0e8fc54395cf3e50e.png

4 really old ones, 2 kind of old ones, and only launchers for 2 of each. Since the new Maugan Ra is so different from this old model maybe I could use this model as the exarch.

Banshees:

image.png.78fa7d1a96a50c8eaebb160dc7bd7b6c.png

I do have the arms for them, they're just not pictured. I also have 5 of the new plastic ones, but I don't like the heads on the new ones at all. I've tried to find a 3d modeler to commission making some of these 'squid' banshee heads I could put on the plastic bodies but the three I've talked to that even agreed to hear what I was interested in said 'no' for various reasons. So these might get painted up sometime soon.

Fire Dragons:

image.thumb.png.b4c7814b1d8f942a42977b0e912b796e.png

Old metal again (better than Failcast!) with the exarch being my most recent tester for the corsair paint scheme.

Not sure what I'm going to do if Aspects can only be taken in squads of 10 like some of the marine units. Sure as hell aren't buying failcast.

For my two old FW Wave Serpents, I found some 3d replacement parts for the shield generator bits I printed out because the previous owner of them used so much superglue to attach them to the hull that it oozed out around them and few of them look like he didn't get it seated right and smeared around for a second or two. I removed all the old generator bits (most had damage anyway) and got the superglue residue off but I still need to do some sanding and maybe put some filler in a couple spots. But DAMN do these replacement bits look good!

image.png.891963925b10010e8b1e5f89d3b896df.png

And in non-xenos news, I printed a skull base for Khârn by taking a blank base, a few skull models, a whole lot of time copying, pasting, and adjusting a whole bunch of skulls.

image.png.b66edbe7ab7f50a75c613389e096ee40.png

There is a similar head on the plastic banshees sprue, but it's not the same.

image.png.22d1c077dc7907a90be1134b2a0ae06d.png

It's not as tall, doesn't have the same sweeping curve on the upper part, doesn't have the 'blades' that come off the side of the helmet, and worst of all is it has the same ugly nose-less face plate as the other plastic banshees. The mouth goes all the way up between the eyes and is just... hideous. Looks more like something out of Hellraiser than 40k eldar to me.

It may not be easy to see what I mean about the type I like so here's an art piece that shows off the mask really well.

Howling Banshee by Sokil-Su | Scrolller

• 1 month later...

Aaaaaaaaaand I bought the Levithan box. I'm weak and I apparently have an addiction.

Terminators and dread are prepped, inferno squad prep almost done, and I still need to make a few decisions on the libby and captain before they're ready for paint.

Speaking of the terminators, I've never liked the look of the storm bolter all that much and I wanted to use an assault bolter without the gun shield or handles in its place and had trouble locating some official ones -- none I was willing to shell out for on eBay or digital ones to print -- so I made my own.

image.png.d1cdd1b1b64e67a2913d41f2ba715952.png

There's a few details I want to clean up or change, but I'm really happy with it and it's the first thing I completely modeled.

image.png

And instead of wasting any more time with a custom chapter paint scheme that I can't seem to be happy with, I'm stealing one. Not sure if I'm going to say they're Imperial Fists or make up a successor.

image.png.e9097fc09ee9cd80fc1a884bc654d281.png

Test on a 3d printed terminator that was scaled too big to fit in with the plastics.

image.png

Custom heads for the inferno guys.

image.png

And some reinforcements for after I finish the Levi box contents.

image.png

• 1 month later...

Been a while and I have been working on some stuff and first up I some parts to modify the sarge and the sarge double because I didn't like the way the flamer sat on the hip.

image.png

image.png.4547959664f2c7bd0aa2ad04fa7e72a7.png

And the airbrushed basecoats.

image.thumb.png.0922f2b6b55c4ac61cbcba46f2b1b085.png

I also wanted to print my own Tor Garadon and it was the most complex digital conversion I've done so far, mixing a pre-made parts and some of my own that I modeled myself. The blue bits are all from one creator, the green bits are from various others, and the orange bits were all made by me.

image.png

The legs, torso, tabard, right arm/cables and backpack (minus gun and cables) I decided to print as one solid piece because I wasn't sure the cables and all the other bits would line up afterward if printed separately. Garadon looked like he was a larger than a normal gravis marine so I made him up 15%, which didn't seem that much bigger in the 3d program, and then I printed him and realized I made him yuge. Oh, and the gravis head I modified wouldn't fit in the collar after printing and I had printed some of these knightly helmets to swap out the terminator heads... which wouldn't fit in their collars.

image.png

And after several days of trying to diagnose why my airbrush wasn't cooperating, I finally got some base coat layers on him.

image.thumb.png.38c1c36f008218d2810c7b04e896097f.png

Edited by Brother-Chaplain Kage

And finally, old watchers of the thread might remember this guy:

image.png.e27fb15245c8b0dd64d1c62316388717.png

Since the Dusk Raiders idea was long dead, I decided to make this into an IF contemptor. I cut away the icon on the torso and printed a new one to go in its place. The plasmacannon has gone missing but I plan on printing several new weapons for it. He also got some paint tonight. Just base coats post-masking and looks a little odd in a few spots, but I was having so much trouble supporting and printing Garadon and then fething with the airbrush for days, I needed to post something to keep my motivation going.

image.thumb.png.ee8941a946a7bed5bc38e9064c78cde8.png