Not to be the voice of dissent among the ranks, but have you no actual SW helmets?

There are no helmets on Space Wolves.

Pretty sure I could find some photographic evidence to the contrary, but fair enough

If you're expecting something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/2Ongxgv.png

That's never gonna happen. I think the 40k Wolves aesthetic is so comical it's almost childish, especially with the wolf heads and skulls on the bolters.

As for the helmet options, I really like the Mk IV (#3), but the Centurion helm (#5) is growing on me not only for the scale working better with the marine, but it's kinda brutal.

Just throwing in the possibility that the Centurion helm may actually be too big - would need to see a full pic of it, but in my humble opinion on the small cropped photo you posted it made the shoulderpads look a little small, and that's not a good thing on Marines (who - again IMHO - have huge shoulderpads as one of their signature visual traits). Happy to believe it's just the perspective though.

I would personally have gone for the Mk. III helm, if only because the brutality of Iron Armour really fits SW in my opinion. Maybe get the best of both worlds and use a Mk. III helm with optics lying around if you have one?

in my humble opinion on the small cropped photo you posted it made the shoulderpads look a little small, and that's not a good thing on Marines

I would personally have gone for the Mk. III helm, if only because the brutality of Iron Armour really fits SW in my opinion. Maybe get the best of both worlds and use a Mk. III helm with optics lying around if you have one?

You're not wrong about the size of the shoulder pads. In fact, I might have to customize some pads for this guy because of how large he is, though he is going to be something of a freak of nature as marines go and he's the biggest of the five man group - the others will be closer to a normal true scale size

I dunno if I have a MK III with optics on it, but I'll have a look.

Puts Mark 3 helmet up and asks for a choice...

ITS ALWAYS MARK III.

ALWAYS.

MK III is my favorite armor mark of all time.

Not to be the voice of dissent among the ranks, but have you no actual SW helmets?

Pretty sure I could find some photographic evidence to the contrary, but fair enough

If you're expecting something like this:

http://i.imgur.com/2Ongxgv.png

That's never gonna happen. I think the 40k Wolves aesthetic is so comical it's almost childish, especially with the wolf heads and skulls on the bolters.

Oh Emperor no, I totally agree that the "Wolfy-Wolf-Wolf, we like wolves you know!" aesthetic is hideously over the top and so badly done to death I'm pretty sure GW must have Necromancers on their payroll to keep it going.

Regardless, that Wolf Helm is silly (unless you're building, say, a Wolf or Iron Priest conversion) and that Mk.6 would look wrong without a Rune Priest's body to match those symbols.

I was thinking more about this helmet, similar to 6 but with a little bit of Fenrisian filigree and such.:

http://www.bitzbox.co.uk/images/space_wolves_pack_head_3_large.jpg

One idea I had for a helmet was a wolf skull similar Ulrik the Slayer that I would sculpt (if I'm already doing this much work on him, what's a little more?), but the issues with that are that I don't know enough about the SW lore to know if that's something specific to the wolf priests and off limits to anyone else and if I could even pull it off. And the last time I tried to sculpt an animal skull helm it didn't turn out so well.

While I agree that it should be MkIII always because, well, MkIII, I agree with most here that the centurion helmet looks suitably brutal and animalistic. So yeah. Also, it'd be suitably original, because although many on this forum have suggested and/or talked about the centurion heads for dreadnought/truescale mini's, none have actually done it. So be the first!

@Molotov - I'm still working on the arms and I think that once I get the new elbow armor sculpted on and some properly sized shoulder pads, they won't look too long.

@Augs - I agree, and that helm is really starting to grow on me.

@Molotov - I'm still working on the arms and I think that once I get the new elbow armor sculpted on and some properly sized shoulder pads, they won't look too long.

*Edit* Arkhan, here's a full body pic with the Cent head on as well as another marine for comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/h0cMxmR.png

*Edit* Arkhan, here's a full body pic with the Cent head on as well as another marine for comparison.

http://i.imgur.com/h0cMxmR.png

Crikey, are you making a primarch!? 

Can we have a picture next to a regular human figure for the proper true scale look?

You know I greatly admire your modelling skills, but in my opinion there's still a couple of scale issues. The head-to-shoulders ratio is still off (in my eyes), and it could well be the way he's standing + the positioning of the cannon, but it looks like his waist may be too thin and his legs a little too skinny as well (and I know you've bulked them already).

Don't take that as slating your work, btw - perfection takes time to achieve and this isn't far off. It is of course just my subjective take.

Edit: This may better illustrate what I mean - I feel that this is an example of good head/shoulders/waist/thigh ratios in my opinion. I know he's helmetless, but you still get the sense of the shoulders being relatively larger, and of the Marine's legs having much bigger presence.

EDIT THE SECOND: OK, the scale as-is between the Cent head and shoulderpads may actually be growing on me, it's not that far off the pic below if the Marine below were to don a helmet. I think I'm actually bugged more by the legs and waist now - is it possible the waist is too high?

Not meaning to cast doubt everywhere here - feel free to tell me to leave off if you'd prefer.

gallery_26_548_80597.jpg

Edited by Brother-Captain Arkhan

Its a nice start but I'm going to echo Arkham's comments about scale. I'll focus in the issues, so it may feel like a negative post, but IMO when you put the effort into truescale it's worth spending the time to get your formula before it's too late.

The arms to me look a little out of proportion, that's roughly the size I'd expect from them out of armour. This is emphasised by the size of the weapon and the bulky torso.

With this, it's going to make the shoulder pads look smaller than they do at the moment.

Without an image without the weapon I can't see the waist, though from his position it looks roughly right, I'd say leg wise it might be worth lengthening the thigh, yours look the same length, perhaps shorter than the shins, which is a shorter bone.

Once you work out your scales completely, to what you're happy with, not what us in our arm chairs say, I think you're onto a winner! Going to make my truescale feel a tad small though

One idea I had for a helmet was a wolf skull similar Ulrik the Slayer that I would sculpt (if I'm already doing this much work on him, what's a little more?), but the issues with that are that I don't know enough about the SW lore to know if that's something specific to the wolf priests and off limits to anyone else and if I could even pull it off. And the last time I tried to sculpt an animal skull helm it didn't turn out so well.

The helm that Ulrik the Slayer wears (the Wolf Helm) used to be Leman Russ' back in old fluff (circa Second Edition), which lately doesn't seem right, as Russ' head would be far larger than a regular Marine, even if Ulrik was a larger Marine himself. I haven't seen any other Wolf Priests (canon or otherwise) to know if similar helms are the mark of Wolf Priests though.

Still, rule of cool and all that :wink:

• 2 weeks later...

Agreed, as a long time Space Wolf player I think the chapter needs to start a new Great Hunt to find the tech priest who at some point convinced us that wolf skulls make good optics for our bolters. :/

• 4 weeks later...

Been a while since I've been in here to do some dusting, and I bring pics of some new reinforcements.

http://i.imgur.com/imn4ZoN.png

Part of the reason I haven't had any big updates is a new work schedule to adjust to, but my Crimson Sons project partner has also been very busy with his own non-40k life and I've been a little down about my mojo for that project drying up. I still want to work on something, and I've been getting whispers from other Legions as some of you may have seen the AoD Legion For You thread recently.

Not only will the above plastics most likely go to a new project, but I also have some larger resin goodies slowly making their way to me. Like a lot of folks, settling on a Legion is not an easy thing and I've tentatively narrowed it down to just two choices now: Dusk Raiders or Iron Hands. The idea of the Shattered Legions has appealed to me for a while and my Crimson Sons were a step in that direction, with Vall picking up stragglers from other Legions here and there, but I like the idea of several different groups of legionnaires having to work together and create new tactics that pick the best bits from each if they plan to have a chance of survival and revenge.

So, maybe it won't be Iron Hands or Dusk Raiders -  maybe it'll be my own little group of misfits that have to pull together and deal with the fact that they can no longer fight the way they have been for centuries. No longer the X, XIV, XVIII, XIX, or whatever Legions, but something new where the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Edited by Brother Chaplain Kage

That is a nice symbol, it would seem to suggest a larger Iron Hand influence with the cog. I think a true shattered legion would be a fun project, you have so much freedom in modelling models with character as your pulling inspiration from all the legions.

That is a nice symbol, it would seem to suggest a larger Iron Hand influence with the cog. I think a true shattered legion would be a fun project, you have so much freedom in modelling models with character as your pulling inspiration from all the legions.

I could also represent the Legionaires being a smaller cog in the greater whole of this combined force, that each of them is only a small part, but if but one tiny cog fails the whole machine will fail.

Also Iron Hands.

Shattered legions would be perfect for you! Endless possibilities in an already endless space.

And on a wider note, really ingenious of FW to seize the initiative with the forth coming rule set noticing all of us who can't really decide on a legion.

The majority of the force will be Iron Hands and that's why the cog is so prominent in the icon, but it's broken because their Legion is on the brink of destruction. I wanted something else in it to represent a unity, or unification, of these disparate parts into one cohesive unit and also something that represented their unwavering loyalty to the Emperor. What better than a modified Raptor Imperialis?