The Road to Astronomi-Con 2014 (page 8 Inq Warband Complete)

I think the list is looking ok, what's left is more or less personal preferences about chopping and changing at this stage I feel. For what it's worth my Inquisitor has a personal Land Raider I modelled up for him a few years ago, Phobos pattern too :)

So I did up a quick list with the new Codex: Astra Militarum last night. This list seems almost too good ... With three Russes and a Land Raider am I getting into "that f'ing guy" territory?

HQ

Tank commander in a Vanquisher w/ las cannon, and 2x stock LRMBT

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor w/hammer hand, force sword, power armour, 2x servo skulls

ELITE

Inq. Henchmen - 2x crusader, 3x DCA, priest, 3x acolyte, Land Raider

TROOP

PCS w/ hvy flamer, 2x flamer

PIS w/ Melta

PIS w/ flamer

Vets w/ carapace, hvy flamer, 2x Melta, chimera

Vets w/ carapace, 2x Melta, chimera

FAST

10 rough riders w/ 2x Melta

HEAVY

Hydra

FORTIFICATION

Aegis w/ Icarus

= 1499 pts (maybe give a bolter to one sgt)

I'm going to double check my math. It does seen to be a bit too good to be true and you know the saying, when things seem too good to be true they usually are. I bet I added something wrong ... Probably can only bring two Russes not three or something like that. Still, not bad.

Carapace vets are just SO cheap in this edition! A unit of carapace vets outfitted the same (minus hotshot lasguns) plus a chimera is the same as DKoK Grenadiers without a chimera.

There is a slight WYSIWYG problem though. I don't know if hotshot lasguns can pass as regular lasguns in a tournament setting so I may stick with DKoK for WYSIWYG reasons since I don't have time to paint new vets.

P.S. Thanks WarriorFish for faithfully following this thread and continuing to give helpful feedback. Here's another WIP shot of Lord Inquisitor Soulis, I should have him done this week:

gallery_66537_9465_107336.jpg

EDIT: I usually undercoat my models with black, and that is what I have done with every other model in the army so far. However, given all the detail on this model, I went with a grey primer because it is just so much easier to see the details while painting. It does make him a bit brighter than the rest but that is befitting a living saint I think.

It's what I'm here for :) He's coming along very well, his face is great!

I'm keen to try out some carapace Vets too, I always liked the idea but the price tag was too high before. Hotshot Lasguns are overcharged guns, which can be something as little as a setting on the gun or the charge pack being used so you could use normal Lasguns as stand ins if you wanted as it fits the background. However tournaments can have their own rules so you should always check first to be on the safe side.

At 15 points carapace is practically auto-include on vets now. And there are plastic carapace models in scions now -- just don't install the power cables or give them leftover las guns from other kits and you're gold.

Well I know I'm waffling a lot and subjecting you to it in this thread but I am leaning back towards sticking with DKoK. Basically the list I posted on page 5 but going back to two grenadier squads in chimeras, only one Russ, and a slightly smaller =][= warband. I think that's pretty solid and gives me good mobility (very necessary at Astronomi-con with its unique scenarios). DKoK get auto cannons on their chimeras so that mitigates the loss of a Russ somewhat.

No idea what warlord trait to take (at Astro we get to choose). The =][= and DKoK tables are both a bit lackluster. The price of the quartermaster annoys me considering what little he provides to the list and how easily he'll die. I guess I will make Soulis the warlord and give him unquestionable wisdom (choose to pass or fail any morale check as in the good old days).

That will give me two chimeras, a hydra, and the quartermaster for ETL.

The final version, with fluff:

LORD INQUISITOR SOULIS (Ordo Hereticus)

gallery_66537_9465_97815.jpg

gallery_66537_9465_92382.jpg

Lord Inquisitor Soulis is a venerable member of the Ordo Hereticus, known for his open, bold movements in his persecution of the witch, the mutant, and the heretic. He is reputed as a hard man, but a just man. He does not hesitate to burn the guilty, but nor does is he willing to paint with an overbroad brush and waste valuable assets or chastise the innocent. He has incurred the wrath of the Grey Knights and has been declared Excommunicate Traitoris by some of his colleagues in the Ordo Malleus because he succesfully thwarted an attempt at exterminatus on Sorgrece V going so far as to bear open arms against the Grey Knights.

He is best known as "the Saviour of Sorgrece" for his roll in the war to liberate Sorgrece V from its occupation by Khorne-worshippers. Though he is estimated to be several hundred years old, juvenat treatments keep him visibly at the age about 35. He is not without his battle scars, however -- one of the defining moments of his life came in the waning years of the liberation of Sorgrece when he personally led a group of Sisters of Battle in the purging of Catachans fighting in the Xenthali Jungle who had gone mad from their exposure to chaos. A Catachan demo pack detonated at his feet, destroying the ancient suit of Terminator Armour that he'd worn into battle for more than a century. This cost him his left eye, his right leg, and awakened latent psychic powers. Previously one of the more extreme puritans in his view and treatment of psykers, he now struggles to come to grips with what he has become and re-evaluate his views and actions.

Nope, no wash, just used the new Citadel paints.

Well, two pieces of good news today: #1 the organizers have confirmed that they will consider Codex: Inquisition and DKoK Assault Brigade "Battle Brothers" for the purposes of their tournament, so full steam ahead on the Inquisitorial Warband! I even put the finishing touches on my first acolyte who was already mostly finished:

gallery_66537_9465_113753.jpg

#2, I toodled down to the FLGS and picked up a Hydra. I'm going to assemble it tonight and prime it along with the two Chimeras I need for the tournament, some servo skulls, and whatever other Inquisition stuff I can assemble on the weekend. I can then spend early next week painting Inquisition stuff and then I'll be ready for ETL with the Hydra and chimeras at least.

I am trying to figure out how to model my Quartermaster.

Good question. I don't know when I'll have a completed army to shoot but hopefully soon so I'm not rushing to finish last minute.

I agree a Wyvern would be fitting. Can't bring one big I stick with DKoK Assailt brigade though which I'm inclined to do. The only other way to run the list would be making my grenadiers scions but I'd want thrm scoring and my budget is exhausted for acquiring Tauroxes but they need rides.

Hoping for a but of feedback here. Below is a first WIP shot of my custom quartermaster cadre but with a Sorgrecian twist representing their close ties with the Ecclesiarchy. I'm trying to decide what should be in the quartermaster's right hand? I see three main contenders -- an open book, a chainsword, or a laspistol.

What do you think would look best?

gallery_66537_9465_1430524.jpg

The Sorgrecian version of the quartermaster is called "the Speaker for the Dead". His scribe servitude records the sacrifices of the regiment and the other servitor collects relics if the martyrs for re-use and veneration. The servitor to the left will get a green stuff bundle if clothing and a las gun, maybe a Krieg helmet being held in his right arm/hand.

Thanks for the thoughts/suggestions, gents. I ended up going with a laspistol since --as much as I love Argun's suggestions -- a hand resting on a chainsword hilt just wasn't going to work because of how the robes flow, in my opinion. So here they are. Just too bad I can't vow them as part of my ETL vow since they're a Forgeworld unit.

gallery_66537_9465_392842.jpg

Just too bad I can't vow them as part of my ETL vow since they're a Forgeworld unit.

Has that been confirmed, all I see is Captain Semper being cryptic on the subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived