The Road to Astronomi-Con 2014 (page 8 Inq Warband Complete)

Hehe.

Well, taking on a Chapter Master in Artificer Armour on a bike was definitely a mismatch for Lord Inquisitor Soulis. Ah for the days of Codex: Witchhunters with all the buffs! He's definitely lost a step since then but I think he held his own well enough. A Power Fist would have been nice but too late -- I spent way too much time and effort modelling him the way he is now to go back. Curse the changes to psychic powers in 7th! tongue.png

Anyway, here's another WIP ... one of my Krieg-style Death Cult Assassins. I decided this is the best route fluff wise. Surely a planet that has mastered hand-to-hand combat as a result of being conquered by Khorne Berserkers and retook they planet at the end of the bayonet would have a strong death cult. So here's the first one, armed with appropriately huge power weapons as is the GW way (GK falchions were the smallest power weapons I could find in a decent supply for a decent price):

med_gallery_66537_9465_322659.jpg

They are massive on a DK trooper! :lol: Perhaps fitting for a DCA as they can go through squads like a hot knife through butter... I think you should give them long handles to help offset this a bit plus it'd make them look really meaty.

Some more WiP photos -- they should be ready for priming tonight, unless anyone has some suggestions of additions I could make to the Crusaders ...

med_gallery_66537_9465_226695.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_262808.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_32819.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_199257.jpg

Oversized swords is the theme of this Inquisitorial Warband! But it's fitting because they did behave a bit like a blender in their first use (and that was not just unpainted but proxied!!! Imagine what they'll do when they're painted).

Thanks, glad you like them! Can't wait to paint them I think they'll look appropriately Death Cult Assassin-ish painted all black with glowing blue power swords. I am not 100% sure anymore whether I will try painting skulls on their gas masks because of how the engineer mask is set up there isn't a lot of room to do that.

The Inquisitorial Warband was definitely a lot of fun. I am really glad that I took the advice I was given to get them a Land Raider to ride in. I think that this is a very necessary bit of kit for a close-combat oriented warband otherwise they will never make it into combat. Plus Land Raiders are big and scary and attract a lot of firepower, so while they are very expensive I think they're worth it.

Well, more progress, and getting closer to being 100% ready for Astronomi-con and able to do another ETL vow. The next few weeks are busy though so I'm less certain I'll be able to squeeze in a vow but we'll see. Anyway, today I finished the Death Cult Assassins and the Crusaders for Lord Inquisitor Soulis' warband:

med_gallery_66537_9465_110934.jpg

This also means the warband is complete, but for their Land Raider which remains about 1/2 done:

med_gallery_66537_9465_302398.jpg

med_gallery_66537_9465_293951.jpg

Full size image you can see a lot more detail: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/gallery/sizes/131962-soulis-warband-1/large/

The update did change the makeup of the warband only slightly. Basically it prompted me to revert to a non-psyker Inquisitor Soilis now that Hammerhand is no longer automatic and there's only a 1/6 chance of getting it. So it seemed that I could spend those points better on more Scions/Inquisitorial storm troopers. It's too bad 7th dropped after Soulis was done because I would have given him a power fist.

The update did change the makeup of the warband only slightly. Basically it prompted me to revert to a non-psyker Inquisitor Soilis now that Hammerhand is no longer automatic and there's only a 1/6 chance of getting it. So it seemed that I could spend those points better on more Scions/Inquisitorial storm troopers. It's too bad 7th dropped after Soulis was done because I would have given him a power fist.

My thoughts exactly too. Damn random power tables. Just let us choose! I digress.

What discipline and load out are you equipping him with?

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the die is cast, army-list wise.

I just realised this afternoon, to my horror, that army lists for Astronomi-con were due last Saturday, 12 July. Oops! So I had to make some executive decisions without the benefit of trying my Hydra out against an army with a flyer as next week's opponent promised to bring for my final warm-up game. I decided to keep the Hydra despite its decidedly lacklustre performace over two battles -- the main reason being I want to avoid the pressure/stress of trying to get a Griffon conversion from scratch done in the next few days, and definitely don't want to do any late-night last minute painting for this tourney.

I did decide that I was much more happy with the Company HQ instead of the Quartermaster, and I think that 2x plasmaguns on the deep-striking Inquisitorial Storm Troopers is more multipurpose than the meltaguns, especially since with the loss of Storm Trooper doctrines I can't risk deep-striking as close as I used to. So, here's the FINAL LIST:

HQ

Company Command Squad w/ power sword - 110

Ordo Hereticus Inquisitor w/ power armour, power sword, 3x servo skulls - 52

Commissar - 25

ELITE

Hydra - 70

Inquisitorial Warband w/ priest, 2x DCA, 2x Crusader, Arco Flagellant, 2x Acolye, Land Raider - 358

TROOP

Platoon - 225

PCS w/ power sword, 2x flamers

PIS w/ meltagun

PIS w/ flamer

Grenadiers w/ meltagun x2, heavy flamer, chimera - 215

Scions (9) w/ 2x meltagun - 148

FAST

Death Riders (8) - 130

HEAVY

Demolisher - 170

TOTAL: 1500

That list looks like a strong and (mostly) balanced force. I still think the LR at 1500 is a little top heavy in points and having read your batreps it is working good... I'm glad you switched to a CCS as the quartermaster seems a better investment at 2k + points for what it brings to a DKOK armies performance.

Looking forward to seeing a completed army shot:)

Yes one more trial game this coming Wednesday. The army should be 100% painted by then so I will take a full army shot then.

Yes the Land Raider with Inquisitorial retinue is a bit "too many eggs in one basket" at 1500 pts but I did it mostly for fluff and it has worked so far I just need to be a little extra careful with them and avoid charging into cover at all costs (The unit lacks grenades but really relies on hitting first and hard with the DCA and arco Flagellant).

Archived