Ferrus Manus most redundant of Primarchs ?

godking

In Fulgrim, it is shown that Ferrus had crafted a weapon for all of his brothers before the Heresy. Vulkan refused to use it because of the method of construction. However, he did use it during Istvaan V. It was a special kind of bolter IIRC.

what happened to redundancy?

Why have Delta when you have the SEALS?

Why have the 82nd airborne when you have the 101st airborne?

Why have the SAS when you have the SBS?

Just because they are similar, doesn't mean they are not needed. The fact that several of the Primarchs are similar is a good thing, means you can spread the same talents further during the great crusade.

The majority of the Primarchs represented a stereotypical ideal when it came to tactics and strategy. When you get down to it, only a handful represented something genuinely unique, rather than a minor variation on a common theme.

What purpose did Ferrus serve in the grand scheme of things? Simply put, he was a plot device, and one as old as storytelling. What's the quickest way to ratchet up some tension and/or show that censored.gif just got real? Kill somebody. Joss Whedon killing Wash at the end of Serenity is a popular(or unpopular?) example of this. He wanted to add a sense of hopelessness to the end of the movie and make you wonder if anyone was going to get out alive, and to do that, he killed a central character. No crying about spoilers, either. The movie came out 8 years ago and the statute of limitations ran out long ago.

Another way the same plot device can be utilized is to quickly get people on the side of the good guys. Ferrus dies in the fifth part of a series that will probably end up being 50 books and it was shocking to see how quickly he got cut down. Alex Murphy getting gunned down at the beginning of Robocop is a similar example where the writers only had a short amount of screen time with the character as a human being and they had to do something quick to get you on his side. We see that he transferred to the "war zone" precinct because he saw how badly the officers were getting mauled on a daily basis and wanted to help, and that he did his gun twirling thing because his son's favorite tv character did the same, and that's about it. With such limited time for character development, how do they make you feel for the guy? To pull for him and the rest of the police officers in the movie? They gun him down in a brutal fashion and show how nasty the villains are. It's the same in the HH books, showing how far the other primarchs have turned with the two Isstvan massacres.

So, all of you X Legion fanatics, sorry to say, but your beloved primarch was a throw away character and a plot device.

What foul heresy is this?

Ferrus Manus is awesome.

1) Best Primarch model to date (in my opinion)

2) He was loyal - Fulgrim was in the position to kill him on two occasions. Ferrus threw the offers back in the Traitor's face ; he stayed loyal to the end.

3) He is on par with Vulkan for strength and endurance - in Forgotten Sons a Salamander says that Vulkan AND Ferrus were the toughest/strongest Primarchs. Bearing in mind a SALAMANDER says this I can assume it is true.

4) Master craftsmen who has forged several weapons for other Primarchs.

5) He drowned a C'tan shard in lava and had arms of armour killing Necrodermis. Awesome.

6) Like another poster said, he embodied what it meant to be a Primarch.

Brave, resourceful and loyal to the end.

Well I remember that he was a mettalic beast that took throwing it into lava to kill it. Without confirmation of an origin, I just left with the impression that it was formed of nanotechnology of unknown origin.

Not saying you're wrong. And I don't mean to trample on your opinion. I was just wondering if it had been confirmed.

It comes up in Vulkan Lives I believe, it's also said he carried a hammer no other Primarch could lift in Promethean Sun.

A hammer that weights more than a Warhound Titan? That...that's about par for how Nick Kyme writes Vulkan, actually, what with the whole "Oh yeah, Bromarch is UNKILLABLE. That's right. You cut off his head, he just comes back for more. Take THAT, Ferrous and Curze! Un. Kill. Able." thing.

Also, I think the whole "Immortal Primarch" angle makes Bromarch bouncing off to do whatever Bro related things strike his fancy while the Imperium falls apart in a distinctly unBro like manner even WORSE than Russ and Corax bailing on everybody.

It comes up in Vulkan Lives I believe, it's also said he carried a hammer no other Primarch could lift in Promethean Sun.

A hammer that weights more than a Warhound Titan? That...that's about par for how Nick Kyme writes Vulkan, actually, what with the whole "Oh yeah, Bromarch is UNKILLABLE. That's right. You cut off his head, he just comes back for more. Take THAT, Ferrous and Curze! Un. Kill. Able." thing.

Also, I think the whole "Immortal Primarch" angle makes Bromarch bouncing off to do whatever Bro related things strike his fancy while the Imperium falls apart in a distinctly unBro like manner even WORSE than Russ and Corax bailing on everybody.

Ha, maybe the whole Deadpool/Wolverine thing of finding something that doesn't make them immortal?

Maybe Bromander just wants to die because he has no point in living or doesnt want to?

So, Kage, how about Yoshiyuki Tomino who has killed off his characters left, right, and center on such a regular basis, he got the nickname "kill 'em all Tomino?"  I have a feeling that perhaps sometimes important characters get killed because you get seriously depressed during production, such as after you got involved in a love triangle with two members of the cast and crew and those two ended up married the dust settled.

Response to Lord Soth that is a Vulkan Lives SPOILER:

Still, Wade, there is something rather nice about the fact that Vulkan got to experience such a wide variety of deaths that his brother could think of.  Makes you wonder if perhaps Vulkan would have been better off not being a Perpetual.  Also, it is not that Vulkan cannot die, it is that he cannot stay dead.  Kind of like Deadpool, only not as funny.

As much as I'm a fan of the X legion I have agree with Kage.

Someone sometime along the way of fluffing the heresy of the Iron Hands someone wrote a line about Ferrus being killed by Fulgrim. And that one line doomed the writers of the novels to kill him off quick fast and in a hurry.

Hehehehe

At least Deadpool's girlfriend is lady death.

Even though I likes me universe grim and dark, I believe subtle humor should show up once and a while. Usually the "greatest BL writers" Dan Abnett and ADB are very good at this.

Ferrus just doesn't seem very involved, and maybe it will take Massacre to do that (I have faith in Alan Bligh) and give more background to the Xth legion.

I mean, until recently, the legions weren't flushed out in quite as much detail as they are now with the advent of the HH series and Betrayal. I will reserve judgement on Ferrus until I have seen what Massacre brings to the table.

Ferrus being the most redundant Primarch? Really? Maybe.... maybe not.... Let's think about it..... What did other Primarch bring into the Great Crusade....

Horus, Sanguinius, Russ, Dorn, Lion, Guilliman, Lorgar.... wait! Lorgar! What did he bring?

Heresy!

That's the only answer.

Ferrus is awesome, and he does beat Fulgrim in their straight fight before the Daemon joined in, but still couldnt bring himself down to the traitors level. Obviously a mistake as it turns out... :D Plus the Silver hands are pretty cool as gimmicks go...

Ferrus is awesome, and he does beat Fulgrim in their straight fight before the Daemon joined in, but still couldnt bring himself down to the traitors level.

Said awesomeness being slightly mitigated by the way he knocked himself out blowing up Fulgrim's sword in their FIRST fight in the same book. teehee.gif

Ferrus is awesome, and he does beat Fulgrim in their straight fight before the Daemon joined in, but still couldnt bring himself down to the traitors level.

Said awesomeness being slightly mitigated by the way he knocked himself out blowing up Fulgrim's sword in their FIRST fight in the same book. teehee.gif

Not to mention taking a hammer blow to the head somewhere along the way.

Ferrus being the most redundant Primarch? Really? Maybe.... maybe not.... Let's think about it..... What did other Primarch bring into the Great Crusade....

Horus, Sanguinius, Russ, Dorn, Lion, Guilliman, Lorgar.... wait! Lorgar! What did he bring?

Heresy!

That's the only answer.

Well, good ol' Kor Phaeron kind of stole that schtick, so what else did old baldie provide?

Archived