From Crusade with love (WIP army) [updated: Oct-15-2013]

Klof

Hi,

Neophyte here. I'm not sure I'm on the right place to show off and brag (kidding), but if I'm wrong I hope you'll point me to where to post these pics.

Here's the thing. I've posted my army which I'm trying to build in the Armylists section. Link is right here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/280413-from-crusade-with-love-1750pts-list/ . Think that's more than 1750 pts if I'm not wrong, but if you take out EC it's right on the spot, so lets pretend he's not there. Reason I'm posting it here is to present my goal which I'm trying to build and achieve. If you are going to comment the list (which I hope you'll do), don't suggest things like centurion squads, flyers, and other similar things. They aren't templary to me and I'm not going to use them. I already made exceptions by taking gravguns and aegis defence.ermm.gifsweat.gif

Everything is pretty much work in progress, so take it with a bit of salt. Actually, I'm hoping you'll post some of your thoughts and suggestions about what to do, what would be cool to make, or what to take out. So, in other words, comments and critique are more than welcome! Anyway, here's my work done so far...

This is my Castellan on his bike. He was in Deathwatch (actually he was my deathwatch character, that's why). I'm not sure about his left hand's pose, and front of the bike (fork) looks bit blank. Any suggestions of what to put there?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/castellanraimier.jpg

Techmarine is my must have figure. I didn't want to buy GW expensive model so I tried to make my own. I have to put some more machine parts on his servo-harness and then he'll be pretty much finished.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/techmarinemartellus.jpg

Bike squad, 2/5 guys. This left granpa is my try to make Father Torque from Full Throttle the game by Lucas Arts. Again, front of the bike (this protectors left and right of bolters) is blank - any suggestions of what to do?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/bike_squad.jpg

My Crusader Close Combat squad. Second guy in first row (one wielding two-handed sword) is actually 100% done. I'm not satisfied with his torso and I think he needs more insignias and icons.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/crusader_11.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/crusader_12.jpg

Lastly, here's first Assault terminator. I'm not sure about his grey knights psyker's hood. Should I leave it on, or take it off?

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/terminator.jpg

This is what I've done so far. I'm currently working on bike squad. Waiting my grav-guns to come and finishing their poses. I haven't much time lately (work, life, you know that kind of stuff), but I promise, when I have something new I'll post it up. I hope you like it, and that you will comment because I really need some good suggestions and comments. Frankly, I'm kind of stuck in a moment, and don't know what to do with those guys to finish them. Like there's something missing and I can't see what.

P.S.

I hope pictures aren't too big. I can reduce them if needed.

Update October 15: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/280850-from-crusade-with-love-wip-army-updated-oct-15-2013/?p=3495947

First off, welcome brother to the Eternal Crusade.

Secondly, what took you so long, your work needs  to be shared!

Thirdly, brilliant work. You are quite skilled and your modeling-fu is very strong. I like the dynamism you have imparted to your figures and in particular, the assault termie and the second guy on the top row are excellent. In fact the second guy on the top would make for an excellent Emperor's Champion.

Fourthly, your bikes and techmarine work are just stunning. I salute you.

Fifthly, when are you going to give us more? :)

Thank you all for your replies and kind words.

@Greggles

I'm not sure what nubs do you mean, but I was thinking about that part just over his head. It looks exactly like librarian's hood (if you aren't familiar with). And librarians are big no for me. Actually, I went so far to not reading the rules for psykers at all, hehe.teehee.gif

Black Templar Shields were ordered directly from Forgeworld. It was expensive, but that feeling when something like that arrives makes you so good that you forget about the price you've paid for it.

@Honda

First off, thank you, brother Honda.

Secondly, thank you again but I'm not that good to share things. It's something like boasting for me. Here, I just wanted to share and maybe inspire someone like many people inspire me.

Thirdly, thank you yet again! Guys at my club are more fluff-wise or shall I say lore-friendly than power gaming playas, so things like regular marine with big two handed sword isn't some rules breaking wysiwyg thing. I have to admit it looks like Emperor's Champion, but this is just regular guy, and my EC is regular GW model, nothing fancy. Fancy is for high elves and Emperor's children, and black is for real men.teehee.gif

Fourthly, thank you again again!! I actually liked your comment at this stage. lol

Fifthly, I hope some new stuff will come next week. If I manage to tackle some issues in life.

@Sir_Isenhar

Thank you, too. But I'm afraid I have to disappoint you a bit. I'm not going to paint them till whole army is finished. Okay, maybe some test models but thats all. By that time all of them will have their own personality and story to tell. I'm planing to add some small details to each one of them for their achievements on the battlefields. For example, that guy with two swords killed ork nob last saturday, so he's gonna get some kind of orc scalp or some kind of orc bitz to represent that. Same thing is with my missile launcher guy who actually killed most of tanks with one hit bringing me first blood most of the times. That's the personality I'm talking about.

Really nice work with the green stuff! I'm with Sir_Isenhar -- I'd like to see painted models, but I also understand about wanting to wait. Hope it's not too long, though (which might seem hypocritical considering my own lack of proliferation). :)

About the bike fork -- as to what might go there:

1) Have you considered a big headlight? I can't tell for certain, but it appears you may be using the DA fork cowling, which already has one. Still -- the BT can never have too many lamps, lanterns, and lights.

2) If you don't want to go the headlight route, you could add some additional pistons to the inner surface of the fork. That might add some interest without drawing the eye away from other areas of the model. You can make pistons out if small diameter brass cylinders. I'm not sure the exact sizes, but I found several that will nest inside one another. Or you could add some sort of sensor-array-looking-whatsit.

3) Or ... it appears that the pink rod is your fixed fork, which extends into the active fork of the wheel assembly? I don't know what a bother it would be, but if you extended the active fork upward, you could add detail to the fork itself while extending the hydraulic chamber and making it more realistic (not that 40K needs anything like realism -- too much actually detracts, I think). I'm thinking of fine chains wrapped around the same bits on one of my bikes or maybe drilling out some skulls and having the fork pierce the center of a stack of three.

4) You could leave it alone. It may appear a bit obtrusively lacking in interest in the unpainted model, but that Is probably at least partially because the current pink of the rods draws the eye so much. I think if you were to look at the pic in gray-scale, it would be much less noticeable.

Nice work!

~K

@Krikey

Thank you for your excellent advices! To be honest, I was thinking about your solution number 3. A lot. And first version had really extended fork, but then bolters were aiming into the skies and looked too... hmm how to explain - too much like orc bike, savage. And bike had really unnatural look with some crazy angles and uneven balance between front wheel and back wheel.

Actually, I was thinking about adding another part to the top part of the fork, to make pink one like active fork.

Btw, do you know what that pink part is? A cotton swab. teehee.gifwhistlingW.gif

• 3 weeks later...

Hello there guys, time for a little update on my still unknown crusade. I've done some hammernators and a missing multimelta from my LRC I purchased which was used. Here're the pics! Pictures are pretty big, so if there's some violation of rules let me know! Ofcourse everything is big WorkInProgress, so any suggestion, any comment and most of all any critique is more than welcome:

Land Raider Crusader multi-melta, which was missing when I've purchased used tank.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/lrc_mmelta_left.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/lrc_mmelta_right.jpg

These are my new terminators. They are BIG wip, as you can see on some of them there are still mold lines present. Also I have to get rid of Dark Angels' and Grey Knigets' insignias and work a bit with green stuff to get them done, but those are just minor details:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/terminator_twinB.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/terminator_berserkr.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/terminator_champion.jpghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c305/Wotanko/Warhammer/Wh40k%20Templars/terminator_30k.jpg

These are some awsome conversions/sculpts/kitbashes you've got there. Considering how great they will look once they are painted I would advise spending a bit more time removing mould lines before gluing them.

Cheers

<facepalm> That multi-melta idea is just brilliant and it's so...obvious. Well played. I too shall be borrowing that idea.

Besides, there's some Chuck Norris awesomeness there, when the turret guy gets out with his MM and starts blasting stuff. Very epic.

Your termies are very well done. Lots of interesting bits and bobs on them. I like "Morningstar" equivalents for thunder hammers and am planning on doing  something similar for my current project.

Thank you for sharing.

Cheers,

Thank you everyone for your comments and I'm glad you've liked it. You are free to copy whatever you want. In fact, I'm flattered that you are going to borrow some of my ideas. That's the purpose of sharing your armies, isn't it? Ofcourse, in addition to boasting and bragging.whistlingW.gifbiggrin.png(I'm kidding)

Awesome conversions you do great work.

In regards to your Castellan and his bike the only suggestions I would offer would be maybe rotating the left hand so that the hammer is raised into more of a striking position if you're unhappy with the current way he's holding it and with the front forks I don't think they really need anything extra. They're forks, they're utilitarian and you've already got a lot going on with the bike, I think leaving the forks plain would look fine and help all the added detail stand out.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that used Khorne Beserkers for CCW initiates. If you're looking for something to put on the disks that have had the Khorne emblems shaved off you can use the cross from the Orb of Antioch, they fit nice and look good. I'll try to update my crusade thread with pics of them this weekend.

Also, the DA censor maces can be made to look more BT by cutting off the top spike and adding the top half of an Orb of Antioch. I did that with one of my SB to make him as a possible Castellan stand in with Marshal Gervhart kind of look to him. 

The Orb is the handiest bit for converting IMHO and it's easy to press mold more or just buy them on ebay cheap.

Beautiful conversion work! I really need to get of my axx and get back to my only marine army since 3rd ed. My fav is the tech marine, just a great pose with movement as opposed to the regular one. I wish I had green stuff skills. I'll just settle for the IH's FW models as my conversion basis.

Awesome conversions you do great work.

In regards to your Castellan and his bike the only suggestions I would offer would be maybe rotating the left hand so that the hammer is raised into more of a striking position if you're unhappy with the current way he's holding it and with the front forks I don't think they really need anything extra. They're forks, they're utilitarian and you've already got a lot going on with the bike, I think leaving the forks plain would look fine and help all the added detail stand out.

Actually, everything in army is by now magnetized except some bikers and some close combat crusaders. Which means Castellan is magnetized too, at his wrist and at his shoulder so I can move his arm as I want and as I see fit. There are two reasons for that: 1.) in case I change my mind and start to use some other weapon, 2.) in case his pose becomes boring which also means he never has the same pose. Also, it's lot easier to transport them when they can be trimmed to bits and reassembled again.

I'm glad I'm not the only one that used Khorne Beserkers for CCW initiates. If you're looking for something to put on the disks that have had the Khorne emblems shaved off you can use the cross from the Orb of Antioch, they fit nice and look good. I'll try to update my crusade thread with pics of them this weekend.

Also, the DA censor maces can be made to look more BT by cutting off the top spike and adding the top half of an Orb of Antioch. I did that with one of my SB to make him as a possible Castellan stand in with Marshal Gervhart kind of look to him. 

The Orb is the handiest bit for converting IMHO and it's easy to press mold more or just buy them on ebay cheap.

Khorne Berserkers are one mean maddadakka models with awesome poses. When I saw their legs I had to buy them. Funny thing is, when I started to collect Templars, Berserkers were first box I've bought. Anyway, shaving off Orbs its too painful job to do. I've planned to make out of greenstuff templar's crosses on those plain disks. On the other hand, you might be right about censor maces and Orbs of Antioch combination, that might actually work. I'll try it out. I promise. Also, I have another conversion with those maces. When I get some time I'll post a picture. But getting Orbs might me a little bit tricky. I'm from Croatia and Ebay is all but cheap for us.

Archived